Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers (71933 Views)

Do DSS ON Suit Wear Bullet Proof Vest? / DSS Raids Bandit Camp In Kaduna, Intercepts ‘Sophisticated Weapons’ / Fulanis Herdsmen Marching Into Southern States With Sophisticated Weapons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by oyebanji(m): 12:56pm On Dec 05, 2018
Correct.
AK 47 seems to be more reliable and amenable to our clime.

QDubz:
Tavors cant survive intense continous use such that it going to be subjected to in the frontline.
Lost a friend because of that damn rifle, it jammed while in combat in the northeast.
Drop an Ak in the mud and it'd still fire perfectly
Drop it in water and it would still answer when you call
Easy to maintain and service.
But allow small sand enter the tavor and watch it suffer stroke!...
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Hotzone(m): 12:56pm On Dec 05, 2018
FarahAideed:
Pound for pound the AK47 is a better and more deadly rifle by every yardstick ...The Tarvor BullPup is just a carbine for close qtr fire fights and can't stand the AK 47 in any yardstick ..May Ignorance not let us make the wrong choices in Jesus Name
Word....AK 47 is built because of its rugged structure as it can be picked out of the mud and it can still be firing. Even its lethal power supersede would've been rivals.
As for me, I can't be comfortable without my piece concealed within, no harm intended but I am against intimidation either from criminal minded civilians or politicians or my fellow brothers in arms

3 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 05, 2018
FarahAideed:
Pound for pound the AK47 is a better and more deadly rifle by every yardstick ...The Tarvor BullPup is just a carbine for close qtr fire fights and can't stand the AK 47 in any yardstick ..May Ignorance not let us make the wrong choices in Jesus Name

I think AK47 is more cheaper than the Isreali Tavor

4 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Larrykaysail(m): 12:59pm On Dec 05, 2018
[quote author=yusufu16 post=73570091][/quote]

The AR-15 can effectively shoot 200 yards further than the AK-47.
The AK-47 shoots a significantly larger bullet than the AR-15.
The AR-15 weighs 2 pounds less (not counting a lot of hardware we add after the fact) than the AK-47
The AK-47 usually costs less than an AR-15.
The AR-15 has a higher (30% more) accuracy than the AK-47
The AK-47 is more widely used globally by a long shot than the AR-15.
i love my M5

1 Like

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by akereconfi: 12:59pm On Dec 05, 2018
It is only in Nigeria that I'm seeing people pick an AK over AR.

Those lies that and AK is rugged and can fire even when submerged in mud, water and dusk has been debunked years ago.

An AR wielding combatant will outdo his AK counterpart any day any time. The internet is at your disposal to research verifiable fact and also watch videos.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Adiwana: 1:01pm On Dec 05, 2018
Shookonekilla:
[s][/s]

You are a very ignorant liar and uninformed and a bloody civilian who has never handled a combat rifle

What is the name of the rifle the dss carry ?

What is the recoil bias at full burst and semi auto

What is the round per minute ?

What is the armour penetration versus yard ratio ?

What is the angle deflection at full auto from Target at 200 yards ?

You are just an ignorant enthusiastic uninformed dummy who doesn't know what he is talking about

That rifle is a hundred times better than the ak47

Dude stop making noise.Whats it with the cussing and everything.if you feel the tarvor is better,you drop reasons why.People that do not know about guns or think AK is better will research on it and see reasons not spamming the whole place with your "knowledge"

1 Like

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by nobosaba(m): 1:02pm On Dec 05, 2018
yusufu16:
I think AK 47 is an outdated riffle. Anytime I see DSS officer, my heart just melt.

Why cant our military officers have those modern rifles used by US marines to fight Boko Haram.

Below is what our DSS use.

Bro, that DSS gun you see is call Tar 21 and it's an Israeli made weapon and that version is not that sophisticated
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by litaninja(m): 1:02pm On Dec 05, 2018
Fire rate, range, reliability, ease of use, AVAILABILITY!!!

Those are the reasons...

1 Like

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by PotatoSalad(m): 1:05pm On Dec 05, 2018
PUBG made me realize how guns work.
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Shookonekilla: 1:05pm On Dec 05, 2018
[s]
udemzyudex:

You're the one posting nonsense here Oga, talking confidently with ignorance about Ak47
[/s]

Don't talk nonsense

What do you know about live fire or responding in live fire ?

What do you know about sight recoil and free fire accuracy?

Don't dare talk nonsense!!!!

It's people like you who encourgage these corrupt politicians with your subtle ignorance and wide most stupidity

Don't speak about that which you have no idea!!!

Shut up!!!

The politicians arm the military with AK47 and you are here telling me it's a good rifle ?

What do you know ??

I would stake my life with a gs9 in my hand than an ak47 when facing an insurgent

Stupid child

You have the guts to sit in the comfort of your home and type rubbish because some are dying at the front line facing these terrorists with out dated equipment

You sleep comfortably at night because some are awake

You know nothing!!!

Some are trained to die for you and you are here saying they are properly equipped .
What do you know ??

Do you think everyone will live to a ripe old age out here

Close your mouth

12 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by allexpensive: 1:06pm On Dec 05, 2018
Shookonekilla:
[s][/s]wtf

He told you a.load of garbage and you accepted as truth ?

What is the kill zone diameter of an ak47 vs the combat rifle the dss carry ?

Infact what is the model the dss carry ?

What is the recoil angle per burst of that rifle vs ak47?

What he typed was total garbage

That rifle is a hundred times better than the ak47

This is not true. Most of the AKs you see are the Chinese variant and there are several types depending on the upgrade.

I fire the M762, AK-47 and the Tavor. Whenever I'm on missions far away from the FOB, I'll pick the M762 or AK. Whenever I'm on short duration ops like clearance and patrol, I'll pick the Tavor.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by darichlife: 1:07pm On Dec 05, 2018
Okoyeebos:

The AK 47 commonly seen around fires 600 rounds per minute. Original one does 700.

Tavor does 750 to 900 rounds per minute but it's for close encounters and is not as rugged as the AK.

Before your Tavor rounds can reach a target, the AK has already dropped its target.

The best and most complete AKs in Nigeria are with policemen in the SPU. They are the policemen in blue caps and guard VIPs

The Way Nigerians know about guns ehn. Fear � de catch nigga ooo. Make I start my own research and possibly buy one soon I no want story that digs the grave around me

2 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by FunkyAlhaji2015: 1:09pm On Dec 05, 2018
[quote author=yusufu16 post=73570091][/quote]
The DSS doesn't use the AR - 15, they use the IMI Tavor Tar -21. An Isreali close combat weapon.
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by molon23(m): 1:09pm On Dec 05, 2018
The soldier guy in the fourth photo is dead and he was my very good friend. Never knew dead would take him soon. RIP Jerry
yusufu16:
This is what our soldiers use in the battle field
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Reference(m): 1:10pm On Dec 05, 2018
yusufu16:
I think AK 47 is an outdated riffle. Anytime I see DSS officer, my heart just melt.

Why cant our military officers have those modern rifles used by US marines to fight Boko Haram.

No sir. The Tavor is not considered a battlefield weapon in these parts in that it spots 5.56mm ammunition which has an average bullet weight of 4 grams and powder for a maximum effective range of 250 metres. Traditionally we prefer 7.62mm ammo which has a 9 gram jacket and has more powder to propel it to an effective kill at 400 metres.

Every soldier I knew preferred to engage the enemy at a further distance and I can imagine if you are faced with a charging horde of militia men you want to start taking them down further out and especially out of PED range.

Two. I cannot expect any serious infantry to use a lower calibre that the adversity it is fighting.and the AK appears the standard weapon for militia the world over.

The 5.56mm ammo does have its advantage. It is lighter and so you can carry more and can be more effective for close combat.

Lastly. And most important to any soldier is reliability. There is currently no rifle in the world that can match the AK for reliability. Even the Americans with more sophisticated AR's, Colts and Bushmasters will tell you when their special forces get into battle, they inevitable complete difficult missions with the AK and our armed forces donot have the same maintemace and replacement capabilities of those nations.

The summary is: every mechamic, cook, cobbler, painter, sportsman or woman will most likely perform and succeed using the tools most familiar, reliable and comfortable dor them.

I had only a brief stinct with the AK in my time and we used to call it a toy back then due to its light weight and melodic sound in rapid fire. We grew using the German H&K G3, before the Belgian FN and then our government went completely East bloc.

In terms of personal infantry fire arms there is absolutely nothing wrong with our set up. What we need are the other elements that a fighting unit needs. Communication devices, battlefield analysis devices, command and control devices, updated heavy weaponry such as mortars, mines and HEAP artillery pieces and of course updated training. That's all.

24 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Sermwell(m): 1:11pm On Dec 05, 2018
Shookonekilla:
[s][/s]

Don't talk nonsense

It's people like you who encourgage these corrupt politicians with your subtle ignorance and wide most stupidity

Shut up!!!

The politicians arm the military with AK47 and you are here telling me it's a good rifle ?

What do you know ??

I would stake my life with a gs9 in my hand than an ak47 when facing an insurgent

Stupid child

You have the guts to sit in the comfort of your home and type rubbish because some are dying at the front line facing these terrorists with out dated equipment

You know nothing!!!

Some are trained to die for you and you are here saying they are properly equipped .
What do you know
you have been fooling yourself here since without giving reasons why tavor is better than AK. this leaves me with no doubt that you don't have any knowledge about weapons. nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Tennyrank(m): 1:11pm On Dec 05, 2018
FarahAideed:

It cannot be just for close quarter fire. Mind you those DSS guys equally use f2000, galil rifle and p90 depending on their operations.

TAVOR
Built around a long-stroke piston system (as found in the M1 Garand and AK-47), the Tavor is designed to maximize reliability, durability, simplicity of design, and ease of maintenance, particularly under adverse or battlefield conditions.[5]

In 2009, the Tavor X95 (also known as the Micro Tavor or MTAR) was selected by the IDF to gradually replace the M16 assault rifle and M4 carbine variants as the standard-issued weapon of the Israeli infantry by the end of 2018. The first X95 bullpup rifles were issued to infantry units in 2013.[6] Both the IWI TAR-21 and IWI X95 are part of the Tavor family of rifles, along with the Tavor 7.

With the numbers of fights Israel Defence engage in year in year out you will only ask yourself how they could function so well if the rifle is solely for close range. With Israel planning to make it the only infantry weapon by end of this year.
.check am nah.

Interestingly, the Nigeria navy now use Favor.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by allexpensive: 1:11pm On Dec 05, 2018
Shookonekilla:
[s][/s]

Don't talk nonsense

Shut up!!!

What do you know ??

Stupid child

The military is being overhauled sir. Infact the AK is in limited use here in the northeast. The north east is populated with Tavor, AR-M1 and M762.

The ak47 Is in limited use.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by UnimkeAk(m): 1:13pm On Dec 05, 2018
Fynline:
Not all use AK 4. There is a shift already from AK47.
Control shift
Or Alt shift

Ignorant mfers
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by IamPlato(m): 1:14pm On Dec 05, 2018
nobosaba:

Bro, that DSS gun you see is call Tar 21 and it's an Israeli made weapon and that version is not that sophisticated
FunkyAlhaji2015:

The DSS doesn't use the AR - 15, they use the IMI Tavor Tar -21. An Isreali close combat weapon.
FarahAideed:

An AR15 is a full rifle and not a carbine ..know the difference
nineone:
I don't think laser guns are better than AKs just that AKs tend to overheat and this affects it's performance after a long time on operation.
FarahAideed:

An AR15 is a full rifle and not a carbine ..know the difference
have You Guys Seen My Story? smiley it Also Has To Do With Nigerian Soldiers with Ak47 And Terrorists with Advanced Weapons. check my signature smiley
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by QDubz(m): 1:15pm On Dec 05, 2018
[quote author=Shookonekilla post=73572317][s][/s]

Don't talk nonsense

Shut up!!!

What do you know ??

Stupid child

You know nothing!!!

What do you know ??

Do you think everyone will live

Do you serve in Nigerian army?.
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 05, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Say again ?
Abeg no let me laff.

Vietnam, Afghanistan 1, Afghanistan again, Namibia, Angola, Rwanda, Liberia,Congo, Chechnya, Kurdistan etc etc

The question should be where has the AK 47 lost a war ?
all those things you mention for there na community crisis except vietnam war and if you check the statistics of vietnam war the m16 did more damage than ak47
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Newboss(m): 1:15pm On Dec 05, 2018
FarahAideed:
You might need to do a proper research angry
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by chuckjonesbaba(m): 1:16pm On Dec 05, 2018
yusufu16:

I have wondered about this for a while.
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Jdesilentkiller(m): 1:16pm On Dec 05, 2018
Lol... So much ignorance in one thread... Well, what do I know??

1 Like

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Adiwana: 1:18pm On Dec 05, 2018
For some that do not know how guns work.There are basically long and short range guns and the effectiveness of guns is not just based on assault.The ability to do damage and accuracy are the 2 major factors that are considered so far as guns are concerned especially for battle.The double barrel is a short range gun that causes a whole lot of damage but can't hit a target at a long range.The major problem of military guns(Ak 47) is not just shooting targets at long range but ineffectiveness in killing the targets and thats why it seems Boko are winning.Some say Boko has modern equipments than the military due to the guns they have are more accurate than the AK which the military uses.Its just like shooting more shots than your opponent in football but your opponents has lesser shots and more goals than you.You will not win by Shooting more bullets but the ability to kill your enemy is what wins wars.AK is an "outdated" weapon mainly due to its inaccuracy and there are better guns with effective accuracies than it but make no mistake it's a full assault weapon that still does a whole lot of damage and still used all over the world

6 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by bantudra: 1:18pm On Dec 05, 2018
akereconfi:
It is only in Nigeria that I'm seeing people pick an AK over AR.

Those lies that and AK is rugged and can fire even when submerged in mud, water and dusk has been debunked years ago.

An AR wielding combatant will outdo his AK counterpart any day any time. The internet is at your disposal to research verifiable fact and also watch videos.

its a known fact that aks are more rugged....they dont easily jam....
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by FRESHG(m): 1:19pm On Dec 05, 2018
madridguy:
shocked
MADRIDGAY WHAT SAYET THOU
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by slysteel: 1:20pm On Dec 05, 2018
Poster is suffering from ignorance,obviously another nairaland teeanger
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Sunymoore(m): 1:20pm On Dec 05, 2018
oluwaahmed:
The isreali Trevor (which DSS uses)is used for close quarter/urban combat operations. That does not mean it cant be used for conventional warfare with modification. N/B -NAF Specops use dis weapons too. However AK is rugged and does not jam even under water. AK hits its target faster and fires round quicker. However the AR15 is their king. Enhanced with scope for long range targets and sometimes with a grenade launcher its the ultimate death machine.
The AR 15 with grenade launcher is the standard primary weapon for US Marine Corp and USASF
M16 or M4 you mean?
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by FunkyAlhaji2015: 1:20pm On Dec 05, 2018
IamPlato:
have You Guys Seen My Story? smiley it Also Has To Do With Nigerian Soldiers with Ak47 And Terrorists with Advanced Weapons. check my signature smiley

It costs the US govt about 15 million naira equivalent to fully kit one soldier. Can our govt afford that?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Pharaoh9(m): 1:23pm On Dec 05, 2018
Fynline:
Not all use AK 4. There is a shift already from AK47.

how are you sure those soldiers are Nigerians and not of United Nation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

President Buhari Listening To A Translator And Laughing Out Loud[pic] / Buhari's Look As Ezra Olubi, Co-Founder Of Paystack Receives National Award / Ba’a Idirisa Killed! Muhammed Yusuf's Son's Death Divides Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.