Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity (36391 Views)

NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) / We, Not FG, Developed Ebonyi – Umahi / ARDI Petitioned The CCB About Onnoghen Not FG - The Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by dabossman(m): 4:08pm On Dec 13, 2018
chivic:
OK its my fault.
I have been paying exorbitant estimated Nepa bills and you said its not government fault?May be i should pay more.Nonsence

It might be time for you to follow the example below.

chlorophyll:
to hell with fashola and fg, I don't need ur power I already have solar and generator in my home

useless pigs
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Awaja(m): 4:10pm On Dec 13, 2018
Bulk passing have become their stock in trade since inception.blameGEJ continues.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Artzdanielsz(m): 4:11pm On Dec 13, 2018
MetaPhysical:

The Power Ministry is a regulator. If you scrap it you will end up paying through your nose to get electricity from the providers as there will be no oversight on price gouging....and then you will turn around and blame it on Buhari for scrapping the regulation that kept them in check
I've been paying through both my nose and anus
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 13, 2018
Tecks10:
But oga Fashola, this wasn't what you told us in 2015 oo. Why the sudden turn around?
he was too hungry for power
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Reference(m): 4:14pm On Dec 13, 2018
IkennaDavid1:
I thought the clown said they can fix power problem in Nigeria in six months?

Next(Lower) Level.

Not his fault. That was the fault of an ignorant society. No one asked him how before casting their vote so he dodged the bullet. Theu jave come again and debates are scheduled but once again most Nigerians are distracted by sentiment of Atiku US visit, cloned president and other childish nonsense. Some even suggested that the younger and more enterprising presidential candidates be not part of debate because they cannot win. Can you imagine that.

So the elections will come, false, unrealistic promises will be made, no questions asked as to how things will work, votes will be cast, power handed over and nothing will be done. Six months later, complaints... We are our own problem abeg.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by holuphisayor(m): 4:14pm On Dec 13, 2018
Ha! OK ohh..
Minister of darkness
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by ericmor: 4:15pm On Dec 13, 2018
Colourich:
Since its the private sector's problem because electricity in Nigeria has been privatized, why not mandate the private company to give constant electricity? instead of giving constant bills without giving electricity to compensate for it. Something is wrong somewhere.

The thing is, they know the right thing to do but they won’t just do it. That is the area I don’t understand
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Festy4u(m): 4:16pm On Dec 13, 2018
ProAnti:
Fashola is being clever by half, if he truly said this.
The government is still the biggest player in the power sector therefore it can be blamed for the inefficiencies and poor performance.
Government owns 10 power generation plants via NDPHC. In addition it has 100% control in the transmission segment and has about 40% stake in all the distribution companies. Government owns the only bulk electricity trader and off course is in absolute control over NERC, the sector regulator.

These kinds of statements, if truly made by the minister, portrays him in bad light as it reveals a shallow understanding of the sector.

When we put round peg in square holes what else should we expect.

A man that should be in the justice ministry his bossing over a supposedly engineering/technical ministry! undecided

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by hush15: 4:19pm On Dec 13, 2018
BluntBoy:

You people are just throwing blames up and down.

Do you even know how many Nigerians are short-changing the distribution companies by using illegal connections and enjoying electricity without paying a dime. And the sad thing is that even some universities and big industries too would be owing electricity bills running into billions of naira.

That is why I tell people that Nigeria's problem is not just a problem of leadership. Change must come from everyone.

Fashola has made efforts, aggressive and passive, to deal with exploitations. Perhaps you are not current. But it is an open secret that the businessmen running the DISCOs don't like Fashola.

The only thing i agree with you on is that the change nigeria need is two way which is both the leadership and the citizenry but not to blame Mr. Rocket Science is impossicant because their government is in power and if he couldnt address the lapses within their contract agreement, then he should just shut it. They have increased tariff thrice without any positive impact...

You can defend but this guy messed up biggest time
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by tiredoflife(m): 4:21pm On Dec 13, 2018
ProAnti:

Power is business but the government is still the biggest impediment to the growth of electricity sector. Owing to a penchant for control, the government through NERC, fixes electricity prices and most times the tariffs are sub-economic and far lower that the costs. Same way they try to overly control petrol prices, a situation that has led to gross inefficiencies, reduced productivity and increased corruption.

The regulator should focus on providing an enabling environment for business to thrive rather than fixing prices of goods and services.

As an aside, why did the government retain some stake in the distribution companies when they can't use their substantial shareholding to drive positive change in these establishments?

I didn't want to say a word cos I am in shock hearing what fashola is saying.
Yes u are right about fixing electric prices as a problem but this is not the total truth
Truth is the minimum wage
You don't want a good minimum wage so how won't they fix prices
Wage is suppose to be able to cover expenses
But when the minimum wage is nothing to talk about
U must fix prices or use subsidy
Nigeria will not work as long as the leaders minimum wage is bigger than the citizens
Their take home pay is good enough to cover expenses but that of workers is so poor
I have lived in the UK
I have seen power supply at its best
Let there be increase in the wage to correspond to basic needs
That way the government and investors can take back what was paid to workers through the back door while the investors can be sure to make gains
Not forming price fixing and expecting investors to take the loss
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by pateraluv: 4:23pm On Dec 13, 2018
Then whoms problem if nigerian lack electricity? But Mr Minister in 2015 you promised to solve electricity problem in Nigeria. It was a big surprise seeing you turning it the other way round now. Na wa ooooooo, may God help us in this country.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Reference(m): 4:26pm On Dec 13, 2018
ProAnti:

Power is business but the government is still the biggest impediment to the growth of electricity sector. Owing to a penchant for control, the government through NERC, fixes electricity prices and most times the tariffs are sub-economic and far lower that the costs. Same way they try to overly control petrol prices, a situation that has led to gross inefficiencies, reduced productivity and increased corruption.

The regulator should focus on providing an enabling environment for business to thrive rather than fixing prices of goods and services.

As an aside, why did the government retain some stake in the distribution companies when they can't use their substantial shareholding to drive positive change in these establishments?

We are on the same page, just different chapters and Fashola as well. I am not a government apologist but Fashola/NERC did try to raise tariffs twice is the year but was resisted and the matter remains in court.

The wrong government has done is not paying its own vast electricity bills regularly and some minor policy missteps but apart from that, there is nothing it can do. Conducive environment is a performance criteria and depends on many other factors incidental on the economy as a whole.

Banks for instance at the moment are not lending as aggressively as they should (expected in an inflatory/contractive) economy... And government surplus cash is no longer in their vaults courtesy of TSA.... so...
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by elderken(m): 4:28pm On Dec 13, 2018
When I called this dumb SAN à mad fellow, many idiotic Homo sapiens were very quick in defending him.
To those idiots, let me say again.

Fashola the mad man
nnamdibig:
Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja 

https://punchng.com/its-not-fgs-problem-if-nigerians-lack-electricity-fashola/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by nograv: 4:32pm On Dec 13, 2018
Did you hear that Nigerians..?

Chai, Fashola is officially done..

If the sector is privatized and still doesnt work. Doesnt that mean the approach is in need of reform.. ?

That IS the responsibility of the federal government..
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by FBIL: 4:34pm On Dec 13, 2018
Lawyers are never good in anything technical; rather than solve the problem, Lawyers would complain. grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by WavesOfGlory(m): 4:40pm On Dec 13, 2018
Fashola was really brilliant. This is what the Bible says about the company one keeps.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Xano(m): 4:40pm On Dec 13, 2018
madridguy:
He said, “There are problems without a doubt and we must deal with them. But let me remind you, all of the assets that the Ministry of Power used to control for power have been sold by the last administration before I came. And so if you don’t have power, it is not the government’s problem. Let us be honest.

Interesting people like you.
2015, you posted something different.
Power Transmission is 100% FG.
No matter how long you spin your statements about deplorable Power Transmission in Nigeria, you make yourself a sycophant.

Mr Fashola, with all due respect, speak less about Nigerian Power Sector, you sound naive.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by RealityShot: 4:41pm On Dec 13, 2018
chivic:
OK its my fault.
I have been paying exorbitant estimated Nepa bills and you said its not government fault?May be i should pay more.Nonsence
exactly!
as the regulator, it is he who should stop this "estimated bill" crisis!

i know that if estimated bill stops, power companies will give better services.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Reference(m): 4:43pm On Dec 13, 2018
pateraluv:
Then whoms problem if nigerian lack electricity? But Mr Minister in 2015 you promised to solve electricity problem in Nigeria. It was a big surprise seeing you turning it the other way round now. Na wa ooooooo, may God help us in this country.

grin I was watching Mission Impossible: Fallout yesterday and after the fight in the bathroom and the killing of the contact Ethan Hunt said he 'hoped' the white widow had never met 'John Lark'. In reaponse his CIA opposite played by Henry Cavil said explicitly, '...hope is not a strategy!!!...'

My dear 'hope' is a function of the 'promise' you anticipated. It is not a democratic instrument. Hope exists only in the annals of religion and faith where you have an unable congregation seeking help from an all able God based on scriptural promises.

In democracy it is talk and do under compulsion. It is a master servant relationship where the citizen is the master and the politician seeking office is the servant. Your servant can say all he likes, that he promises to do this and that but your consideration is his performance not his promises and when you interview him for the job you will be expected to know how he will perform his tasks and evaluate accordingly. No one ever asked Fashola how.

Now they come again and instead of asking how, what we are interested is in Atiku Visa and Jubril form Sudan or whatever nonsense we pride ourselves in. That is the problem. See what is happening in the UK. Brexit has not happened yet but the debates everyday on Brexit are so harsh every citizen of that country knows what is happening intoto, how it will work or fail and what lies in the future and in their converns almost removed their Prime Minister. They don't play around with their destiny. We do.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by MondayOsunbor(m): 4:50pm On Dec 13, 2018
APC AND ITS SUPPORTER ARE BASTARDS PERIOD!
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by PapaAdanna: 4:52pm On Dec 13, 2018
Of course he is an AFONja, they speak from both ends of their mouths.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by slivertongue: 4:54pm On Dec 13, 2018
[quote author=daddytime post=73811662] fashola has lost it, he tinks he is smart. ofcourse he has failed 2improve power
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Abimbola198212: 4:55pm On Dec 13, 2018
Shithole ministry...Fire burn your mouth
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 13, 2018
Power transmission through Transmission Company of Nigeria is still 100% government owned. Next excuse please oga minister
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by baratech: 5:00pm On Dec 13, 2018
Clueless govt
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by kingstarz: 5:01pm On Dec 13, 2018
MetaPhysical:

The Power Ministry is a regulator. If you scrap it you will end up paying through your nose to get electricity from the providers as there will be no oversight on price gouging....and then you will turn around and blame it on Buhari for scrapping the regulation that kept them in check

NERC is the regulator my friend...Since Fashola is absolving himself of blame, all in the name of political correctness,I suggest the scrapping of the power ministry
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by sunnedee2: 5:06pm On Dec 13, 2018
daddytime:
But it was the FG's problem when GEJ was the President because solving Nigeria's power lacuna isn't a rocket science (in your own words).

Yeye people wey dey talk anything wey enter their mouth.

Dem say na where old man from dey till ground dey always soft pass for small pikin eye. E go say papa side soft that's why him dey fast pass me. When you give am papa side na dat time e go come know say block and blokos, difference dey.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by sheubaba2013: 5:09pm On Dec 13, 2018
Then it's my fault

F. G our light at kolinton alagbado (ogunmola Alara street) area is not stable. They bring it and take it after 3mins. The most annoying part is that they give us crazy bill.

We are tired
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by CrystalMax: 5:21pm On Dec 13, 2018
Reference:

They are just keeping afloat. They are not making much. You will know any sector that has 'free' money, business sharks will be swimming around to takeover and devour. Remember the subsidy regime, overnight every one money bag had a tank farm constructed. Banks were falling over themselves to finance. Today no money is going into power because nothing is coming out. Returns are poor and venture capitalists such as Geometric that was heavily leveraged by banks.... well you know what is happening with Diamond.

And please, no matter how 'rich' some entity is if a venture does not make business sense, it does not, simple. Big money is not symptomatic of financial carelessness. I have done a feasibility with some of my friends to do independent generation and it does not work, simple, the tariffs are too low. This was the mistake made during the privatisation regime. They bought into the process with a promise rates will be incrementally raised to meet up with set targets. Fashola has tried, the rates have been raised but not quickly enough and not high enough to ignite investor interest.

Believe me if it is attractive you will have heard a lot of M&A's since the privatisation, even political interference. The power sector is tough.
You are right with your points & I am right too.
Fashola is right to some extent likewise. I appreciate people like you that have understanding of the sector before talking. In all, I have said it before and I am saying it again, the privatization of the power sector is not good for Nigerians, at least not yet.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by djoey89: 5:23pm On Dec 13, 2018
wow... are you kidding me?. fg and blame games!.. you are the govt which are meant to have the citizens in mind, dont you have the to sack non performing company like cbn took over skye bank?.. I weep for 9ja, we should just sell the country and share the money...
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by tete7000(m): 5:27pm On Dec 13, 2018
Fasola is overhype. Having got tired of using rhetoric to justify his failure, he suddenly turned around to absolve himself and put the blame elsewhere. At least he has now somehow agreed he has failed, next is for Buhari to come out and admit his government has woefully failed. Talk they said is cheap, all they know how to do is to propagate lies and falsehood. Awon yeye people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: What Is The Difference Between NEPA Bill And Obi's Certificate? / How Atiku Will Zone Offices If Elected President – Gbenga Daniel / "I Am Shocked, I Am Disappointed And I Am Disgusted. It Was Wrong"- Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.