Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,379 members, 7,822,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity (36387 Views)

NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) / We, Not FG, Developed Ebonyi – Umahi / ARDI Petitioned The CCB About Onnoghen Not FG - The Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by naturefellow(m): 8:08pm On Dec 13, 2018
I need you to fire these two unworthy Nigerian ministers - Amaechi and Fashola

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Pataricatering(f): 8:11pm On Dec 13, 2018
It was Jonathan’s govt that sold to the incompetent generation companies that caused the whole problem ! They sold to cronies who didn’t have the financial capacity to provide efficient service ! Fashola inherited a mess he didn’t cause - I agree that he shouldn’t have said what he said but I can understand his frustration!
aolawale025:
But fashola himself blamed the previous government. So this government deserves blame too. We can not shift the post after a goal

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Lalaska(m): 8:12pm On Dec 13, 2018
The power ministry is NOT the regulator but the NERC is the regulator

MetaPhysical:

The Power Ministry is a regulator. If you scrap it you will end up paying through your nose to get electricity from the providers as there will be no oversight on price gouging....and then you will turn around and blame it on Buhari for scrapping the regulation that kept them in check
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Zubbyemodi(m): 8:51pm On Dec 13, 2018
This man does not have any shame anymore. It's very obvious he can't do anything about the Power sector! I said it times without numbers that this man is overrated!For the past 2 months he's always been blaming past administrations.Nigerians vote out Apc! Vote wisely!

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by kayjay69(m): 9:01pm On Dec 13, 2018
I am 32 years of age. Since I was born till date Nigeria has always had issues with Electricity supply. I grew up and saw it around me as many other Nigerians can testify. 32 YEARS. Same old story.

And now we have a Minister in the present day govt saying this. Well, Sorry to break it to you guys but Nigeria's Power Problem will not be over anytime soon. It is not a curse, just judging by the body language of every politician since 1999 you can tell it is not likely our situation improves anytime soon. If it would get better, I believe we would have begun to see the results across most parts of the country.

It is sad because until we solve Power, there are no discussions to had around sustainable development be it to humans or infrastructure.

nnamdibig:
Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja 

https://punchng.com/its-not-fgs-problem-if-nigerians-lack-electricity-fashola/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by samlake(m): 9:27pm On Dec 13, 2018
Even as a regulator he is not doing anything...
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Splashme: 9:36pm On Dec 13, 2018
chivic:
OK its my fault.
I have been paying exorbitant estimated Nepa bills and you said its not government fault?May be i should pay more.Nonsence
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by deomelo: 10:00pm On Dec 13, 2018
Lazy and ignorant Nigerian youths should be thanking the minister for the very necessary and inciteful lecture.

Many Nigerians saw and heard privatization under OBJ and GEJ, but they didn't and still don't know the meaning, they did not question OBJ/JONA and PDP when they took away the FG's power generation and distribution responsibilities and obligations in favor of their cronies with zero experience in power generation and distribution business or any financial balance to run, invest and grow their power business with.

The minister placed before the obvious truth before the ignorant and unintelligent Nigerians, the FG is not responsible for your power needs beyond regulations and supervision.

If you don't know the meaning of privatization, look it up in the dictionary.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by obailala(m): 10:07pm On Dec 13, 2018
ProAnti:

Let's for the sake of argument assume the private owners have been bad managers. What can we say of the government who is not just a part-owner in some of the companies but who in most cases fully own some of the key players?

The issues bedevilling the power sector can be solved by the private sector if and only if they get the backing of the government and the consumers.

We cannot put all the blame on the doorsteps of the private part-owners of the discos (and gencos) as the liquidity and other issues they face are substantial. As @Reference rightly inferred, government agencies and facilities are some of the biggest electricity debtors. I don't expect a disco staff to confidently disconnect a military installation for failing to pay electricity bills.
grin grin grin

Of course a large part of the buck still remains in the hands of the government. The govt still owns TCN whose limited capacity is the reason we can't get over 5000mw even at the peak of the rainy season. A major problem which some of the GENCOs face is also lack of gas supply, which renders several functional turbines idle.

But finally, if we must be honest, the biggest impediment to reasonable power supply in Nigeria still remains the DISCOs. Can the govt really be blamed for the incapacity of the DISCOs?... Except we're calling on the government to start paying subsidies to DISCOs to improve their infrastrcuture and supply pre-paid meters to customers, I really don't see how government should be blamed for their incapacity.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by obailala(m): 10:15pm On Dec 13, 2018
taekwon:
The same man told us that every reasonable government should be able to provide power for it's citizenry within six months. why the stupid excuse. if you can't effect change then i suppose you should quit the position. FOOLS. Self centered idiots in a zoo country. shocked shocked shocked
The government no longer owns the assets, when he made that statement, the government was still responsible for the power assets 100%. What exactly is stupid in what he's said? Why is reading so difficult for Nigerians?
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by JayFK(m): 10:41pm On Dec 13, 2018
In other words, it is not the business of government to make life better for its citizens, nor is it the business of government to create business friendly environment for foreign investment or business to thrive. What a country we live in!!

Despite not owning the assets, it is not the policy of a responsible government to ensure the above. Some of you should receive common sense.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by DavIkenna(m): 11:16pm On Dec 13, 2018
MetaPhysical:

The Power Ministry is a regulator. If you scrap it you will end up paying through your nose to get electricity from the providers as there will be no oversight on price gouging....and then you will turn around and blame it on Buhari for scrapping the regulation that kept them in check

Then who r d private companies we should turn. Why not publicize them? Why do we still pay nepa bills to phcn
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by VolvoS60(m): 11:55pm On Dec 13, 2018
This man is unravelling and it is a joy to watch.

An extremely cynical individual. undecided This is the same man who as Lagos state governor said Freedom of Information legislation should be applicable to the federal government but not the states.

Instead of addressing the key reasons why there is no power - (reasons such as government's indebtedness to GENCOs and the ineffective, compromised NERC) the man now tells Nigerians they are to blame for their problems.

In a sense though, the man is right. Nigerians, through their unbelievably poor choices ARE to blame for their problems.

A country gets the leadership it deserves.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by deomelo: 12:15am On Dec 14, 2018
DavIkenna:

Then who r d private companies we should turn. Why not publicize them? Why do we still pay nepa bills to phcn

You mean the FG should name your local DISCOs for you,?

In fact, who do you send your electricity payment to?

Do you send your payment to Fashola, your Disco or the FG?

Nigerian youth, use your brain and stop embarrassing Nigeria.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Pecca: 2:00am On Dec 14, 2018
MetaPhysical:

There is NERC whose job is to regulate electricity providers in the country. You don't need a minister/ministry if that is the case. scrap it! APC members talk just so they can hear their own voice.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by deomelo: 2:04am On Dec 14, 2018
Pecca:

There is NERC whose job is to regulate electricity providers in the country. You don't need a minister/ministry if that is the case. scrap it! APC members talk just so they can hear their own voice.

These are statutory agencies under Fashola's ministry.

Get some education before embarrassing yourself on the internet.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by deomelo: 2:26am On Dec 14, 2018
VolvoS60:
This man is unravelling and it is a joy to watch.

An extremely cynical individual. undecided This is the same man who as Lagos state governor said Freedom of Information legislation should be applicable to the federal government but not the states.

Instead of addressing the key reasons why there is no power - (reasons such as government's indebtedness to GENCOs and the ineffective, compromised NERC) the man now tells Nigerians they are to blame for their problems.

In a sense though, the man is right. Nigerians, through their unbelievably poor choices ARE to blame for their problems.

A country gets the leadership it deserves.

1. You want him to tell you why there is no power? Are you a foreigner and you've been living under the rock somewhere in Afghanistan so you have zero clue how for decades since independence past governments failed to do anything about electricity and how 16 years of PDP and stolen $16 billion gave us darkness till today?

2. By contract and constitutional provisions enacted by OBJ, Jonathan and the PDP, power generation and distribution is completely Private, it means it is not in the hands of the FG.

So, what part of privatization do you not understand.

3. When the PDP gave Nigeria's power assets to their corrupt cronies with no power generation and management experience and no money to build power plants and distribution network, did you people complain?

I remember what you people were shooting, you were shouting GEJ till 2019, you basically care less about power and the damage they did with privatization..

4. The DISCOs today as part of their obligation should be expanding their operations from building power plants, building distribution networks, investing in solar power generation and other alternatives.

.....but they can not do anything because they don't have money to invest and the banks won't lend them money because banks don't trust them.

5. The DISCOs right now are useless and the FG should terminate the whole privatization deal, but sadly they can not because they don't want to scare off investors or create any impression that the FG doesn't respect agreements. I still think they should terminate and let the chips fall wherever.

Sadly, the FG sometimes is not the problem, it is the average ignorant Nigerians with zero knowledge per how their country functions.

If you after not satisfied with the power situation, face your local Disco, hold them accountable.

You don't send your power bill payments to the FG or Fashola, you pay the DISCOs, meaning they are responsible for your power needs.

Nigerian youths want to rule Nigeria, but many of them are too clueless and ignorant, even the basics they don't know.

Fashola just helped and lectured you so take the education and say thanks.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by biztip: 4:51am On Dec 14, 2018
d more d days go by , d more we realise we gave been scammed. 2019 is already close. this govt needs to go BC they don't have any biz been in power
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by seguno2: 5:06am On Dec 14, 2018
Reference:
Technically he is correct. In privatisation the levels of performance directly relates to the overall capacity of the nation at that point in time. If Nigeria expects better service it should be prepared to make deeper comittments, deeper sacrifices. Government does not provide power. Power is business.

I am in the know of this. The power sector requires massive, really massive investments that have not been made for decades in the past to match the growth in population. To raise such capital fast you need an overly attractive business model that will draw out these finances from where they presently yield for the owners. It is this business model that the operators cannot square up because the rates that are currently paid cannot ROI in a normal scenario thoughtless of one where competition for investor funds is needed.

Our population is a big challenge here and at the rate we are progressing it will take several decades before we see the last power outages, probably not in my lifetime.

Would you agree that the PDP, whom Fashola told us were the problem four years ago, put in place the key elements of this attractive business model?
Has Fashola, Buhari and APC done anything, policy wise, to improve the inherited business model in order to make it more attractive
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by deomelo: 5:24am On Dec 14, 2018
seguno2:

Would you agree that the PDP, whom Fashola told us were the problem four years ago, put in place the key elements of this attractive business model?
Has Fashola, Buhari and APC done anything, policy wise, to improve the inherited business model in order to make it more attractive

The PDP put in place attractive model after looting and stealing $16 billion power fund with nothing but darkness in return

Exactly what is the meaning of your attractive model?

How come the so-called PDP attractive model generates nothing but darkness?

Please, kindly explain to us the great PDP model and exactly the model you think the current administration should put in place to help or make private businesses do their job.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by deomelo: 5:33am On Dec 14, 2018
PDP spent 16 years in power, they generated the largest oil earnings in the history of Nigeria and on top of that stole $16 billion power fund, but these Igbos are blaming a 3-year-old government for 16 years of failure looting, stealing and fraudulent power privatization.

These Igbos are just too pathetic...
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 14, 2018
BluntBoy:

You people are just throwing blames up and down.

Do you even know how many Nigerians are short-changing the distribution companies by using illegal connections and enjoying electricity without paying a dime. And the sad thing is that even some universities and big industries too would be owing electricity bills running into billions of naira.

That is why I tell people that Nigeria's problem is not just a problem of leadership. Change must come from everyone.

Fashola has made efforts, aggressive and passive, to deal with exploitations. Perhaps you are not current. But it is an open secret that the businessmen running the DISCOs don't like Fashola.
It easier to criticize from outside than inside that is what Fashola is facing
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 14, 2018
deomelo:
PDP spent 16 years in power, they generated the largest oil earnings in the history of Nigeria and on top of that stole $16 billion power fund, but these Igbos are blaming a 3-year-old government for 16 years of failure looting, stealing and fraudulent power privatization.

These Igbos are just too pathetic...
Mr keep quiet wasn't same reason APC was voted for, to cleanse the problem inherited from PDP?. Since they took power one would expect improvement in power nationwide since the rock science minister said so but no it has gone worst. A slight improvement countrywide will be enough to encourage Nigerians that there is hope not blame game

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 14, 2018
moshould:
The sellers are also the buyers, I hate the bastard that started this private thing, before the advent of private, all public firms were working, now all we see is private school, private hospital, private refinery, private estate, private beach, private jets, private universities, and all others except private parts... May God punish all our bastardy leaders that used our money to pay themselves to own our public properties... Your generation will suffer by God's Grace.. Bastards
The bolded letters are doing well. If they were left in the hands of government we would still be in this mess hence you would have clamour for privatization.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Nobody: 7:41am On Dec 14, 2018
ericmor:

The thing is, they know the right thing to do but they won’t just do it. That is the area I don’t understand
Once the tariff is reasonable for disco you would see improved power supply with less estimated bills. But if the government keep on pegging the tariff rate,we would still be in this mess
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by jmaine: 7:42am On Dec 14, 2018
obailala:
The government no longer owns the assets, when he made that statement, the government was still responsible for the power assets 100%. What exactly is stupid in what he's said? Why is reading so difficult for Nigerians?

Fashola made that statement in March 2015, which was over a year after the unbundling or partial privatization of the power sector in 2013.
Get your facts correctly.
Fashola is very stupid and shameless for uttering this crap.

https://www.nairaland.com/2186803/power-supply-all-homes-lagos

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 14, 2018
tiredoflife:

I didn't want to say a word cos I am in shock hearing what fashola is saying.
Yes u are right about fixing electric prices as a problem but this is not the total truth
Truth is the minimum wage
You don't want a good minimum wage so how won't they fix prices
Wage is suppose to be able to cover expenses
But when the minimum wage is nothing to talk about
U must fix prices or use subsidy
Nigeria will not work as long as the leaders minimum wage is bigger than the citizens
Their take home pay is good enough to cover expenses but that of workers is so poor
I have lived in the UK
I have seen power supply at its best
Let there be increase in the wage to correspond to basic needs
That way the government and investors can take back what was paid to workers through the back door while the investors can be sure to make gains
Not forming price fixing and expecting investors to take the loss
Are aware that wage contribute to cost push inflation? It is easier to increase wage but the multiplier effect is something many are not looking into
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by storm001(m): 8:22am On Dec 14, 2018
This same man said vote out pdp and you will have electricity.

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by CrystalMax: 8:29am On Dec 14, 2018
ImperialYoruba:
Fash, tell them abeg! grin

You cant privatize and then lean on FG to fix the issue. Who privatized power in the first place. Please dont tell me this was Obasanjo and Atiku's legacy. grin
grin
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by chernest2002: 8:57am On Dec 14, 2018
Fashola is one of the noise makers according to baba, the work you promised to finish in ten months have taken four years without results and you are here abusing yourself. Anyway those who want to go for NEXT LEVEL should get ready as for me God forbid that I will be a party to failure. I and my people have Atikulated Obidiently.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by obailala(m): 10:05am On Dec 14, 2018
jmaine:

Fashola made that statement in March 2015, which was over a year after the unbundling or partial privatization of the power sector in 2013.
Get your facts correctly.
Fashola is very stupid and shameless for uttering this crap.

https://www.nairaland.com/2186803/power-supply-all-homes-lagos
Hmmm... You should take the words of a politician to literally, especially words said just befor elections.

But then again, if you go back and read that statement from the report you supplied, there's a very important conditional clause to it which everyone seems to ignore for whatever reason whilst we selectively re-echo the 'sweet' part of the statement. And that conditional clause is still what Fash is talking of today, i.e. "if the DISCOs will yield some of their rights back to his govt."

The point he's simply tried to make is that there's not much he can do to improve an asset if the asset isnt owned or operated by him. Whilst we might all agree that he's just making excuses, you cant deny the fact that it's a viable excuse.

Power supply: All homes in Lagos will be lit in six months if… —Fashola

March 09, 2015

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, yesterday, said the solution to the problem of power sector could be achieved in six months if the Distribution Companies, DISCOs, were ready to yield some percentages of their concessions to the state government.

Fashola made this statement at the commissioning of the 1.2 kilometer Glover Road and 8.5 megawatts, Peninsula Integrated Power Project, PIPP, Lekki, Eti-Osa Local Government Area.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by jmaine: 10:40am On Dec 14, 2018
obailala:
Hmmm... You should take the words of a politician to literally, especially words said just befor elections.

But then again, if you go back and read that statement from the report you supplied, there's a very important conditional clause to it which everyone seems to ignore for whatever reason whilst we selectively re-echo the 'sweet' part of the statement. And that conditional clause is still what Fash is talking of today, i.e. "if the DISCOs will yield some of their rights back to his govt."
The point he's simply tried to make is that there's not much he can do to improve an asset if the asset isnt owned or operated by him. Whilst we might all agree that he's just making excuses, you cant deny the fact that it's a viable excuse.

Sure I understand Fashola thrust then as an opposition member which was valid at that instant. But he is now in a mainstream government with serious stake in the power sector with respect to the TCN (100%), Gencos (%) and Discos( 40%).

There is a great potential/impact his office or portfolio should bring to the table In making the power sector better.

His current stance of distancing himself and this govt from their responsibilities is embarrassing and shameful for a person of his caliber.

If there are gains in the power sector, he will be quick to ascribe it to his office, inputs and efforts. So why try to extricate himself from the peculiar challenges in the power industry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The 8 Key Achievements Of President Buhari At 100 Days In Office - By Nnawetanma / Marilyn Ogar, Others Sent On 'Compulsory Retirement' / Man Shares Photos Of His Soldier Brother Killed By Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.