Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Why Am I So Unemotional? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Am I So Unemotional? (12000 Views)

Why Am I So Melancholy? / I Can Be So Unemotional Atimes This Must Be The Reason / Are Women Really “fish Brain” …why Am I So Obsessed About Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by SKhanmi: 6:07pm On Dec 25, 2018
Dont worry,Many people are also like that. I actually succeeded in making people forget my birthday except for some few stubborn friends.. You probably started out normal until you realized how superficiality has permeated every aspects of society.....not to mention how family experiences can change one's outlook This is how you cope....Behind a wall. Magnolia described it perfectly. Now,only you can make make the change in your life. Only you. Don't live by other peoples rules. You need to restart the search for what makes you tick. I did. It's not totally rosy but it beats being melancholic. You can be Ice cold & still be frosty happysmiley

4 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by ValCon888: 6:07pm On Dec 25, 2018
This is one of the most interesting posts I've seen here since i joined not so long ago. And I'm glad people are beginning to speak up.

People will think you're a sadist, psychotic, or a misanthrope, but trust me you're not.

You're perfectly fine.

When you understand the dynamics that make up the social relationship of a wolf pack then you can begin to understand who you truly are.

You are a lone wolf.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 25, 2018
Dyt:

possessed because you dont celebrate Christmas or parties?
maybe i am too
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin
i dont even celebrate my own birthday
l thought I was the only one in this situation.

I don't like celebrating anything even my own birthday.
When it was time for my birthday I deactivated my social media accounts to avoid people wishing me a happy birthday

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Chukazu: 6:24pm On Dec 25, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:
Why am I so unemotional? I mean, nothing hardly interests my fancy. Just this morning, I've received countless 'Yuletide's' greetings from acquaintances and close friends, but I haven't even deemed it fit to return the texts nor the calls. I intentionally rejected two calls from unknown persons who I know were calling to wish me a Merry Christmas. Nothing ever interests me.

I'm not even turned on/elated of the fact that today is Christmas. Seeing people passing by and chanting at the top of their voices 'Eku Odun' or 'Merry/Happy Christmas my sister' really irks me a lot. I wonder what the whole fuss is all about!

I mean, I've just been trying to force myself to reply people who've been disturbing my ears to the ongoing celebration, and in actuality, I don't even mean it.

I remember warning someone yesterday never to wish me anything else I block him. How sad!

Now, the whole summary of my post is, I'm not fun-seeking. I'm too rigid. I'm never elated at any celebration. I don't go to see movies. I hate eateries. The mall scares me. I tell off the few friends I have, but they understand my madness and they keep returning. I hardly get moved if someone is even dying. I always find faults in everything.

Am I mentally deranged or totally normal?
Am I a sadist? Why am I so unemotional? Right now, my mind is filled with strife. I truly agree now and think that I need mental help. I think I'm a psycho.

Not feeling emotional about Christmas is totally fine. As i get older ,I quickly lose interest in such bandwagon activities and prefer my space, has nothing to do with been an introvert as I may consider myself.

But you not thinking it wise to return people's compliments for the season is where the problem lies.
That comes off as snobbish if you ask me. It doesn't take any thing to acknowledge such and still maintain your space

6 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by LordKO(m): 6:26pm On Dec 25, 2018
Themellowone:

Quite profound.

Thank you.
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Dyt(f): 6:38pm On Dec 25, 2018
virgoquin:
l thought I was the only one in this situation.

I don't like celebrating anything even my own birthday.
When it was time for my birthday I deactivated my social media accounts to avoid people wishing me a happy birthday

Haha Haha
Yes
We are lots like that
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 6:46pm On Dec 25, 2018
castro316:

When is your birthday. Maybe I help out

I'm Virgo. Sept 21st.
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by GrammarNazi1(m): 6:50pm On Dec 25, 2018
Chukazu:

Not feeling emotional about Christmas is totally fine. As i get older ,I quickly lose interest in such bandwagon activities and prefer my space, has nothing to do with been an introvert as I may consider myself.

But you not thinking it wise to return people's compliments for the season is where the problem lies.
That comes off as snobbish if you ask me
. It doesn't take any thing to acknowledge such and still maintain your space
Great analysis.

4 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 25, 2018
carzola:
1. Your broke
2. Your a sadist
3. Your depressed
4. Suicide might help you recover.
''You're"

2 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by aorseer: 7:02pm On Dec 25, 2018
ignant:
I think I remember you stating something about your. unstable childhood. Your emotional dissociation is a coping mechanism against the pitfalls of unaffection you experienced while growing up.

It is not a phase in your case, it is how you raised yourself. Associating with people drains you. You will get easily irritated because you are wary of anything that implies companionship.

You have no idea what to do with the warmth shown to you by others. You do not understand why people even show you warmth. You have survived this far without much warmth and find it hard to understand why people show weakness, and term it "warmth".

You are ice cold as a motherfvcker.
You get bad mouth sha

1 Like

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 25, 2018
Hopez456:
Lol, the last part got me laughing. You're completely normal ma. We have same personality, you capture how I feel too. Nothing interests me, presently, I far away from family and friends, in a secluded place enjoying the internet, books and my pot of soup. This is what I do almost on every Christmas and new year period. I'm freaking happy within me.
i think it’s maturity, am also in this shoe

2 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:33pm On Dec 25, 2018
Magnoliaa:

Maybe... you're like that because you seek deep and meaningful companionship, people who get" you, sees your core self and a lot of the "friends" you have aren't like that? They don't inquire, don't have intriguing conversations, aren't interested in things you're passionate about.

That's why I shut people out sometimes and don't bother about making friends because it's always the same with everyone.

I relate with your situation, because for me too, all of those things seem shallow to me. Birthday wishes,
funeral, festivities etc... I like to do things with so much feelings, if it isn't heartfelt - it feels draining.

You're a Virgo, and they very sensitive, so I don't think anything is wrong with you at all, you probably haven't found things that make your heart go wild.

It's just your personality, and there are others like you out there. That most people are interested in such stuff (going to malls, throwing parties etc) and you aren't doesn't make you abnormal.

Finding faults in everything is the only thing I'd say you should work on.

I think you're right. I'm Virgo, and I'm sensitive and also be very tactless.

Thanks for proffering a solution.

1 Like

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:34pm On Dec 25, 2018
aorseer:

You get bad mouth sha

He doesn't. He's just blunt and I appreciate his bluntness.
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:36pm On Dec 25, 2018
Chukazu:

That comes off as snobbish if you ask me. It doesn't take any thing to acknowledge such and still maintain your space

Could uncaring also pass for being snobbish?

If you say i'm snobbish, it's fine. I agree. I find it very grueling returning people's texts or calls. It's just so tiring.
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:41pm On Dec 25, 2018
SKhanmi:
Dont worry,Many people are also like that. I actually succeeded in making people forget my birthday except for some few stubborn friends.. You probably started out normal until you realized how superficiality has permeated every aspects of society.....not to mention how family experiences can change one's outlook This is how you cope....Behind a wall. Magnolia described it perfectly. Now,only you can make make the change in your life. Only you. Don't live by other peoples rules. You need to restart the search for what makes you tick. I did. It's not totally rosy but it beats being melancholic. You can be Ice cold & still be frosty happysmiley

Thank you. I appreciate.
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Hungarriman: 7:55pm On Dec 25, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:
Why am I so unemotional? I mean, nothing hardly interests my fancy. Just this morning, I've received countless 'Yuletide's' greetings from acquaintances and close friends, but I haven't even deemed it fit to return the texts nor the calls. I intentionally rejected two calls from unknown persons who I know were calling to wish me a Merry Christmas. Nothing ever interests me.

I'm not even turned on/elated of the fact that today is Christmas. Seeing people passing by and chanting at the top of their voices 'Eku Odun' or 'Merry/Happy Christmas my sister' really irks me a lot. I wonder what the whole fuss is all about!

I mean, I've just been trying to force myself to reply people who've been disturbing my ears to the ongoing celebration, and in actuality, I don't even mean it.

I remember warning someone yesterday never to wish me anything else I block him. How sad!

Now, the whole summary of my post is, I'm not fun-seeking. I'm too rigid. I'm never elated at any celebration. I don't go to see movies. I hate eateries. The mall scares me. I tell off the few friends I have, but they understand my madness and they keep returning. I hardly get moved if someone is even dying. I always find faults in everything.

Am I a sadist? Why am I so unemotional? Right now, my mind is filled with strife. I truly agree now and think that I need mental help. I think I'm a psycho.

Quick question... Do you find your mind frequently wandering, especially whenever you are alone?
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Hungarriman: 8:08pm On Dec 25, 2018
Magnoliaa:

Maybe... you're like that because you seek deep and meaningful companionship, people who get" you, sees your core self and a lot of the "friends" you have aren't like that? They don't inquire, don't have intriguing conversations, aren't interested in things you're passionate about.

That's why I shut people out sometimes and don't bother about making friends because it's always the same with everyone.

I relate with your situation, because for me too, all of those things seem shallow to me. Birthday wishes,
funeral, festivities etc... I like to do things with so much feelings, if it isn't heartfelt - it feels draining.

You're a Virgo, and they very sensitive, so I don't think anything is wrong with you at all, you probably haven't found things that make your heart go wild.

It's just your personality, and there are others like you out there. That most people are interested in such stuff (going to malls, throwing parties etc) and you aren't doesn't make you abnormal.

Finding faults in everything is the only thing I'd say you should work on.
Yo, this is why i so much enjoy having a conversation with my mind most times, my mind never disappoints me when it comes to deep conversations.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Godson213: 8:14pm On Dec 25, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

I've had Jesus for years, and yet, I'm still same. It's high time you Christians had stopped being sentimental. I appreciate realistic approaches to life.

Are you a pastor daughter ?
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 25, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

The only difference between your plight and mine is that you are bothered and you need help fast,i'll suggest you reminisce on your early days,that way...you'll find the answers you seek.

In my case,i know the cause...a useless man got married to a more useless woman who's now late.they got separated and abandoned a child below 2yrs.twas tough growing up.

Now,you don't expect such a child to chalk up an atom of feeling nor emotion and i'm unperturbed cos I know the root of my predicament.to help your situation,read the first paragraph again...peace

2 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by castro316: 8:35pm On Dec 25, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

I'm Virgo. Sept 21st.

Good I am glad you are aware of your zodiac sign. It is not unusual for you to feel this way. Second there is something you haven't achieved which is bugging you without that you might find it difficult to be happy. Pls set yourself free if not chances of going into depression might set in. Reply if I was. Helpful

2 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by sukerefakere(m): 8:40pm On Dec 25, 2018
I don't know how to define myself, mine is more complex and I'm loving it

1 Like

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Desperatejoe(m): 8:40pm On Dec 25, 2018
[i][/i] we as humans really differ I have followed nairaland as a guest for heaven knows when now.,...but i really know i had to comment on these thread to settle my concise....everyone is at their respective homes celebrating xmas and the prospective new year while am at school doing mine.....am someone who neccessarily doesn't keep freinds and love his space.....have been tucked in bed since morning..and i will say these is the best xmaz i have ever had....so dear op you are neither a sadist or a psycho...i feel too much of everything seem to irritate you

3 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by castro316: 8:53pm On Dec 25, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

I'm Virgo. Sept 21st.

Seeing things from the negative aspect is something you should watch out against. Learnn to love yourself and begin to discover special things about you. Virgos are creative sensitive and very kind. You are special. Use your good sides to encourage yourself. Practice acts of kindness and discover there are lots of people living worse than you and feel very happy. I am sure you will glow once again. Evenn if it is 2 things you like about yourself, hold on to it and find 3, 4, 5 things. You will realize you are loved. If you need a good friend request for me

1 Like

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 25, 2018
obekediamondfuto:
This is s* l*** m*

lemme give u some other unique behaviors of this condition.

* You don't miss people
* You find it very difficult to keep in touch and when you do, you find it very tiring. It's more of a job than a feeling to call people (family and CLOSE friends)
* You take only important calls that are work related and core family related..... any other call will most likely be ignored.
* You find it very easy to relocate because you avoid genuine relationships CONSCIOUSLY.
* You have a very high emotional intelligence quotient. You can easily keep emotions in check.
* You find it very difficult to please people.
* You really don't care about people's feelings.
* You are not moved by anything.... ghastly motor accident....Nah, someone desperately in need.... nah..... life and death situation........ nah. You ain't bothered

if this is your story, ... the internet cannot help you

trust me, it's damn abnormal.... weirder than what most people here think it actually is.
weird enough for you to see it as the only serious problem you have!
I have all those features except the last one embarassed. I thought it's normal embarassed
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Chukazu: 8:59pm On Dec 25, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

Could uncaring also pass for being snobbish?

If you say i'm snobbish, it's fine. I agree. I find it very grueling returning people's texts or calls. It's just so tiring.

Yeah...I understand.
Then am even seeing beyond familiar interactions.

In some proper official settings(like work environment) such could be considered insubordination with attendant reprimand.
Because you duely understand what is going on with you , but folks out there would not...the reason I gave example of reciprocating compliment

1 Like

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:19pm On Dec 25, 2018
Pastor said in church today that people are depressed and unhappy because they are not sure about where they are heading or certain about their destination.

1 Like

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by victorian(f): 9:23pm On Dec 25, 2018
You are normal op. It's just that u are

Simply broke
Things ain't going the way u envisage
So you are depressed and pissed at yourself and to the world

Don't worry, be positive minded, talk to God about it. And things will gradually shapen up.

It's a phase . It will pass

2 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by victorian(f): 9:25pm On Dec 25, 2018
VeeVeeMyLuv:
Pastor said in church today that people are depressed and unhappy because they are not sure about where they are heading or certain about their destination.

He's right.

But just focus on now, on today. Tomorrow will sort itself out.
That's how I handle my life.

I can't come and kee myself with worry.
Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by NiggasInParis: 9:25pm On Dec 25, 2018
So speechless. You just penned down everything i am going through right now...only difference is; I will say for me, i know exactly why I am feeling this way and trust me I think it might be thesame for you too...

There are specifically two things that could be the cuase:

"" Going through a phase of emotional and personal development and maturity that you feel so advanced in your thoughts that you seem to look down on other things and conclude them uninteresting and petty especially when it doesn't triggers an utmost interest in you...my gosh! How do I break this down!!!

See, for example, Can you imagine my bro will be wedding on 28th and here am I far away from FAM and home like nothing is happening(funny thing is I am not even bothered) not like I don't care, of course I do..but this boils back to the second reason/cuase which is?

"Not achieving things you have/had planned to achieve which you feel will elevate you to certain level and make you fulfilled to an extent. Like finances, a big project etc""

Trust me these are the two things that can initiate just anybody into the cult of feelings you have described above, and you know the most vulnerable? Are we introverts! Dam it....

Do you know my routine for today? Hehe...check it out

I woke up around 8 am, turn on my laptop and watched a movie right on my bed till 11 am...if not that I was flat on cash I shouldn't have even gone out, so I after the movie I got my paranoid ass up to withdraw some cash got some food stuffs and back home..(you need to see the way I was hurrying to back home) came back cooked, freshen up and slept...

Upon all these , on the background , are several text messages, WhatsApp mesages and calls and of which some which I didn't attend to...

After a long sleep from 4pm to 7pm , i freshened up, turned on the tv, I am currently sipping on some fine red wine and blasting my Sound system with a particular song i heard on MTV which i fathom feats perfectly for this mood......

Rudimental - Live my Life...

There is a lot I want to say, but I don't have the patience to write.. I am so forking anxious

Now I feel so relieved typing this, like I have let a burden out of me and also recognize I am not alone in this..And like the chorus of the music playing on background playing, I will live my life!

Hugs OP!

To the MODs I think the thread is more than front page Worthy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by faithfull18(f): 9:41pm On Dec 25, 2018
You are perfectly normal I guess.
Some people are just wired that way.

1 Like

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by avalontony(m): 10:12pm On Dec 25, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

I've had Jesus for years, and yet, I'm still same. It's high time you Christians had stopped being sentimental. I appreciate realistic approaches to life.

You can't have Jesus and be the same......

Talking from experience.

3 Likes

Re: Why Am I So Unemotional? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Dec 25, 2018
LordKO:
Yours is a case of emotional numbness - you being indifferent about Christmas and other festivals isn't an issue (some of us are like that too). You being strifeful is what makes your case abnormal and the solution to it lies in your hands. If you're truly not comfortable with the situation - some people in same situation may find it convenient, their choice - follow the following steps:

- Revert to your default settings. After achieving this feat you'll be in a carefree state. . . enjoy its bliss. But avoid making it your permanent abode (it's a very comfortable place to be), actually your inability to transmute will automatically turn you to a sociopath - fortunately, the world needs more altruistic and conscientious people. Be fair to the world.

- Now define yourself (your new self) - I'll advise you to take to good and no nonsense personality option. By so doing you'll automatically become an altruistic and conscientious person as I mentioned above.

- To achieve all of the above, you need a serene environment and personal home to live in alone (or to live with people with harmless attitude) - this doesn't mean that you should alienate yourself from the world. Avoidance of toxic people remains constant - just strive to detoxify yourself first.

Should you follow this lead and inculcate it as your anima, believe you me that the happiness and benefits you in particular and people around you (sane and sound ones) in general will begin to experience, this place will not be able to contain them if I begin to enumerate them.

However, failure to do the needful will lead you into a full state of psychotic in the near future.

Health and personal advancement solution service is very expensive to afford, but here I've given it to you free of charge.

Gbam and out.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Am Broken I Need Advice From Matured Minds / Uncle Charlie... / Tragedy As Fire Outbreak Kills A Woman And Her 3 Kids In Niger State(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.