Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,987 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? (31902 Views)

Is It Advisable To Date A Girl Who Is A Member Of Brotherhood Of Cross & Star? / Lady Calls Out Man Who Has Been Asking Her Out But Got Married In December / Lady Stages Proposal After Facebook Said She Would Be Married In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by GistFullGround: 12:28pm On Jan 05, 2019
victorazyvictor:

Advice responsibly bro. no offense, jor o! grin

This is the only golden advice I gave him, "So, OP, don't rush into marriage, strive to be more comfortable and I tell you, God shall bless your hustle and make your wife stand firm with you"

Please tell us what is bad in it.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by nkwuocha: 12:29pm On Jan 05, 2019
Isoduwa:

If you like use your mouth � dey talk rubbish
I dey with my family �� no marriage but we are happy �

Who gives a 4ck?!
Certainly not me or my sweet little 9 year old son sitting next to me.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by victorazyvictor(m): 12:29pm On Jan 05, 2019
nkwuocha:

Many of us started from a self contained as bachelors to two rooms and then start building.Many who do this do it not because they can't afford it,but because we are planning to build.In Lagos and Abuja as Nwadiala if you dey pay 2 + million for House for years and your guys find out say you never build or at least have a land Omo na refugee you be o.Them go laugh you tire say you be mumu.Excerpt ofcourse you are using rent from your building in another location to finance your rent.

Here in Abuja, reasonable flat of 1 bedroom is N450 - 600 - 2 bedroom = N 600 - 1.2m per annum.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by amerengues(m): 12:30pm On Jan 05, 2019
I believe this question already has an answer in your mind. Howbeit, I hope your wife-to-be is cool with it. The problem we have in our society is misplaced priority coupled with been accepted by the society. I am sure with your salary, renting anything above self contain will be a bit challenging.

Go for peace of mind and never live above your means. Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself. You can marry there dear. Save up more money so you can attend to family needs ( spend less on wedding expenses because people will come and just eat your rice and go after then reality dawns)

Assure your lady a Better life after wedding. Remember the expenses of getting a 2 bedroom flat, wedding expenses etc

It's unfortunate our society dignifies people displaying luxurious life without a corresponding dignity to a genuine hussler.

In conclusion, if you can manage a mini flat that will be good but ensure u save up for the future and start a very good business to support your salary and the family. A room self isn't bad but what is "badder" is living above your means.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by nkwuocha: 12:31pm On Jan 05, 2019
victorazyvictor:

Here in Abuja, reasonable flat of 1 bedroom is N450 - 600 - 2 bedroom = N 600 - 1.2m per annum.

Some people rent duplex here,2.5 million to 4million.
Sometime they rent for 2 million but by the time you are done with renovations,it will be clocking 3 million.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Speedo17(m): 12:33pm On Jan 05, 2019
Yes! Yes!! And YES!!!
When I got married. I was living in a one room (face me I face you) family house. With B.Sc and a 12K teaching job. My wife who also just finished her NYSC joined me in that room after our wedding.
As expected, my siblings started picking on her and together we pooled some resources to set out. After looking for self contained apartment and it's cost challenges in PH. We met a kind Land Lord who offered us a store in front of his compound with the toilet behind the main house.
I had my first child in that store and my other bigger breaks began from that point.
Today I live in my own house in Abuja with the same wife and 3 kids.
Actually I'm glad we started that humble. And the Woman also believed we will move up.
How else do you know your life partner now that you are in a self contained apartment?
When you up how will she know how you started?

7 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by victorazyvictor(m): 12:35pm On Jan 05, 2019
GistFullGround:

This is the only golden advice I gave him, "So, OP, don't rush into marriage, strive to be more comfortable and I tell you, God shall bless your hustle and make your wife stand firm with you"

Please tell us what is bad in it.

Bro! don't take this personal...

I want to let you know say that there is no comfortable time, when man spirit don decide to settle down it should not be discouraged.

I was expecting you to ask him what time of work he is doing, whats the profession of his prospective wife. He should immediately search for extra skill to acquire because double expenses is on the way that will require adequate care.

Hustle and be comfortable when bro? with the same income?

I won't advice him not to marry or go and find flat, but will advice him to add skills.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Fela4ese: 12:38pm On Jan 05, 2019
Goodplace:
Please advice, wish to get married, live in a self contain but working for a salary less than 80k. Is it reasonable to live with a wife in a one room?
as an adult there are certain questions u don't ask in public,do u also need our opinion about d woman u are getting married to?my broda life na personal race so do what u n ur intended spouse want OK.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by victorazyvictor(m): 12:41pm On Jan 05, 2019
nkwuocha:

Some people rent duplex here,2.5 million to 4million.
Sometime they rent for 2 million but by the time you are done with renovations,it will be clocking 3 million.

Yes your very correct!

Am an architect, I have two friends who got big contracts, went and rented duplex of 3m now one is back to River state where he came from after refusing to pay us, and he is a bachelor. So he will be carrying diff women, lodge in big hotels, now where are the women, yet he is not married.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by nkwuocha: 12:42pm On Jan 05, 2019
Goodplace,
My final advise is for you to get married even in your one room.As long as your woman is ready for it you can go ahead.Never pay heed to those who wants you to first live in a more spacious apartment.Life na jeje!
Just make sure you get married to an ambitious woman that's ready to soil her hands and work.Children are a gift from God.Learn family planning and know when you think a second child is needed.If you must get an extra room,go to places where it's cheap and affordable.

Getting married is no longer as expensive as people think.Infact it was never expensive, people in NIGERIA just love to put their selves under pressure.If you have gathered for this purpose,Do it!That money may end up being squandered for nothing if you wait.Good luck!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by victorazyvictor(m): 12:43pm On Jan 05, 2019
Fela4ese:
as an adult there are certain questions u don't ask in public,do u also need our opinion about d woman u are getting married to?my broda life na personal race so do what u n ur intended spouse want OK.

They don't grow pass asking question sir....
what u know others may not know as we grew in diff family and background, our experience differs.

tnx

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by GistFullGround: 12:43pm On Jan 05, 2019
victorazyvictor:

Bro! don't take this personal...

I want to let you know say that there is no comfortable time, when man spirit don decide to settle down it should not be discouraged.

I was expecting you to ask him what time of work he is doing, whats the profession of his prospective wife. He should immediately search for extra skill to acquire because double expenses is on the way that will require adequate care.

Hustle and be comfortable when bro? with the same income?

No qualms. I did not take it personally.
In 2019, NOTHING will make me quarrel with anybody because I don't know the spirit people carry.
I will use my energy to make more dough

Nobody knows his age, most people are assuming his current location.
What if he is a young guy of between 21 - 30 years of age? Can't he hustle more to buy a plot of land?

Anyways, sha take care
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by nkwuocha: 12:48pm On Jan 05, 2019
victorazyvictor:

Yes your very correct!

Am an architect, I have two friends who got big contracts, went and rented duplex of 3m now one is back to River state where he came from after refusing to pay us, and he is a bachelor. So he will be carrying diff women, lodge in big hotels, now where are the women, yet he is not married.

There's this colleague of mine in church that stays in one of this resettlement in Abuja.For years I know him to be a Hustler,he is into electricals. Young guy!He just opened his own house recently.
I don't know why people are killing themselves over nothing.Even people who were once in duplexes as we speak are moving out to kubwa axis and gwagwalada.
People just keep fooling themselves.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by victorazyvictor(m): 12:49pm On Jan 05, 2019
GistFullGround:

No qualms. I did not take it personally.
In 2019, NOTHING will make me quarrel with anybody because I don't know the spirit people carry.
I will use my energy to make more dough

Nobody knows his age, most people are assuming his current location.
What if he is a young guy of between 21 - 30 years of age? Can't he hustle more to buy a plot of land?

Anyways, sha take care

Your right!

His age matters which we forgot to ask him.

Anyway, sorry for the little altercation.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by PAQ(m): 12:51pm On Jan 05, 2019
If u cant afford a bigger apartment, dont let it stop u from getting married! Marriage has a way of opening doors and opportunities. He who finds a wife finds a good thing, dat woman will make u double u hustle and get a better abode.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by GistFullGround: 12:52pm On Jan 05, 2019
victorazyvictor:

Your right!

His age matters which we forgot to ask him.

Anyway, sorry for the little altercation.

GOD BLESS
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by nkwuocha: 12:52pm On Jan 05, 2019
Speedo17:
Yes! Yes!! And YES!!!
When I got married. I was living in a one room (face me I face you) family house. With B.Sc and a 12K teaching job. My wife who also just finished her NYSC joined me in that room after our wedding.
As expected, my siblings started picking on her and together we pooled some resources to set out. After looking for self contained apartment and it's cost challenges in PH. We met a kind Land Lord who offered us a store in front of his compound with the toilet behind the main house.
I had my first child in that store and my other bigger breaks began from that point.
Today
I live in my own house in Abuja with the same wife and 3 kids.
Actually I'm glad we started that humble. And the Woman also believed we will move up.
How else do you know your life partner now that you are in a self contained apartment?
When you up how will she know how you started?

Now, that was your breakthrough hidden for so long.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by victorazyvictor(m): 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2019
nkwuocha:

There's this colleague of mine in church that stays in one of this resettlement in Abuja.For years I know him to be a Hustler,he is into electricals. Young guy!He just opened his own house recently.
I don't know why people are killing themselves over nothing.Even people who were once in duplexes as we speak are moving out to kubwa axis and gwagwalada.
People just keep fooling themselves.

God bless you my brother.

If the woman love me and agreed to start life with me, grin wetin concern and duplex now.

Duplex, fine cars, good life shall be there BUT age won't .....
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Princedapace(m): 1:00pm On Jan 05, 2019
Newboss:

And some started poor and ended poor grin

Where una dey rush to? Nobody dey race with una o, so make una chill and make money grin

When you get married, everything gets VERY sophisticated, that's why they use the word "settle down" grin

You must not marry her now. If she's in a hurry, let her go ASAP grin

Bros, everyone must not reason like u.. what makes marriage more difficult is children.. Many average people get married abroad and plan how to raise kids.

As long as the guy and the lady are earning and are comfortable to settle down, they are free to do so. I dont blame u though, i blame the guy for even bringing stuff like this online..

Money doesnt guarantee shit. That money u think u av made can disappear within few seconds.. My brother, if ur babe is comfortable with ur standard and u are earning salary, fine, go ahead and marry if u both are okay. However, plan ur babies.

Black man and money mentality shaaa.. so, once he makes 'plenty money' his problems are over.. how many people are even earning over 100k in Nigeria of today?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by nkwuocha: 1:01pm On Jan 05, 2019
victorazyvictor:

God bless you my brother.

If the woman love me and agreed to start life with me, grin wetin concern and duplex now.

Duplex, fine cars, good life shall be there BUT age won't .....

Omo na that time life they sweet self.I remember those days of self contained and room and parlour.Every Friday to Sunday is enjoyment for guys with their new wives and partners.The location usually is at a relatively low standard environment and so the drinks and isi ewu nkwobi are cheap.Thats where you meet funny friends with extra cash to waste!No stingy then.Guys go dey declare any how.Not now wey sml money come you go dey buy Pizza dey chop dey pretend say e hungry you.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Ugosample(m): 1:05pm On Jan 05, 2019
Goodplace:
Please advice, wish to get married, live in a self contain but working for a salary less than 80k. Is it reasonable to live with a wife in a one room?

Well As long as you are willing to hold childbearing for a few years in order for you and your wife to form a common front to hustle and build together, no problem

But knowing that most African women will want to drop baby ASAP, that might b an issue for you

If you feel it's right, why not?
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Ejiod(m): 1:06pm On Jan 05, 2019
ehissi:

More like 13yrs, because he will want to furnish the place well before he marries.

On 80k per month, E go tey. Before he will now start saving for wedding, both traditional and spiritual (be it church or mosque)
Chisos kiss both traditional & spiritual..
Badt guy... shocked
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Ugosample(m): 1:07pm On Jan 05, 2019
pythonkid:

Why can't he get married now since he can't afford two bedroom for now , they can do family planning and put heads together to work on a brighter future , if you wait until you save enough for two bedroom my guy u may end up getting married 3years later than intended .

this is what I'm saying

Keyword :- Family planning

when babies come too soon, you are bleeped in that condition
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by ehissi(m): 1:10pm On Jan 05, 2019
Ejiod:

Chisos kiss both traditional & spiritual..
Badt guy... shocked

You know say church or mosquego swear for you now when you reach there so.......................
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Newboss(m): 1:11pm On Jan 05, 2019
Princedapace:

Bros, everyone must not reason like u.. what makes marriage more difficult is children.. Many average people get married abroad and plan how to raise kids.

As long as the guy and the lady are earning and are comfortable to settle down, they are free to do so. I dont blame u though, i blame the guy for even bringing stuff like this online..

Money doesnt guarantee shit. That money u think u av made can disappear within few seconds.. My brother, if ur babe is comfortable with ur standard and u are earning salary, fine, go ahead and marry if u both are okay. However, plan ur babies.

Black man and money mentality shaaa.. so, once he makes 'plenty money' his problems are over.. how many people are even earning over 100k in Nigeria of today?

My brother, it's not so much about money o. It's about the person with the money grin

50k a month is 600k per year grin All I see is enough pay to live in a nice flat without losing your shirt grin You can rent a decent flat for 150k a year. grin

The guy would be making a mistake by getting married now because he's even earning way beyond what I stated but still confused grin He should sort out his life first and leave marriage alone grin

The time he's to waste on marriage should be spent making money (yes, making money because he needs it for his future) grin If she can't wait, she should get lost because when they divorce tomorrow, nigga dey on his own grin
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Tosyno4tt(f): 1:15pm On Jan 05, 2019
@op, Follow your heart in whatever you do, i do not mean you shouldnt seek help but your mind can never lead you astray.i know what you are thinking......you are thinking what woulf men say, my friends will be very dissapointed...abeg , leave people and friend matter...LET THEM SAY... Some of them do envy you in secret and they form posh in the open
Here are some of the reasons you should stay in a room self contain
1. First few years of marriage is meant for the couple to bond.Time to know your partner well, when kids statrt coming, the attention and affection begins to shift so you need that time. Extra space calls for excesses from visitors who begin to find faults in the partner thereby causing misunderstandings but if there is no space...they would reconsider before coming to your place.

2. Based on your salary, for you to be able to save and still take care of your new family...u dont need much space. It will be very difficult to manage that big space with your current salary. A furnished small space is better than an empty house....its frustrating to see unoccupied space everywhere or your gadgets scattered. No matter how much u get, u should be able to save from it because your planning will be based on your savings.

3 . Do not leave above your means...it is obvious you cant afford more than a room self contain...so go for it because you can only maintain what you can afford.

4. No Pressure: you are not under pressure to deliver anything....you plan according to importance,no one is rushing you to get appliances you dont need..... Enjoy what you have, somebody somewhere is praying to have what you already have. Just pray and keep hustling and focus on the goal

Reasons why you should look for a 3-bedroom apartment

1. Friends will mock you that you live in a self contain

2. Colleagues will not want to come to your house cos there are no freebies....you know people like free things...
3. Heartache: you begin to read calendar everyday cos ur rent is about to expire and you havent saved up for it

My advise is if the reasons i posed for the self contain isnt justified, then u can go for a 3 bedrom or duplex.
I wish you the best.....may this marriage open door of brakthrough for you

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Ejiod(m): 1:17pm On Jan 05, 2019
beesyb:
Why not, please get married already. One of the self-inflicted problems an average youth battle is the urge to show off,live a fake life trying to impress people. Start small and move forward. I'll never live in a three bedroom flat with a husband who has neither procured a land to build his own house nor invest heavily in a business. I prefer living in a self-contain apartment until our own house is ready. Call me Ijebu, I will nod in affirmation. My brother,money can sometimes be a visitor. When it's in your home, use it well.
Very importantly,no need for an elaborate wedding. Pay bride price during a low key engagement and then go for registry. Please don't struggle for an elaborate wedding and one Iya Shade living in the opposite house(Iya ile okan) will still be eyeing your destiny.
My two cents
People like Una rare

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by kasila4u: 1:18pm On Jan 05, 2019
Offpoint:
yeah, The sex is always extra ordinary.
Abraham got married to Sarah in a hut
Adam was homeless when he married eve.
My great grandpa got married while still living with his father, my grandpa.
as long as there's enough space for bed, get married and pump those kids.

Happy Easter everyone.
hahahaha funny one here....
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Princedapace(m): 1:19pm On Jan 05, 2019
Newboss:

My brother, it's not so much about money o. It's about the person with the money grin

50k a month is 600k per year grin All I see is enough pay to live in a nice flat without losing your shirt grin You can rent a decent flat for 150k a year. grin

The guy would be making a mistake by getting married now because he's even earning way beyond what I stated but still confused grin He should sort out his life first and leave marriage alone grin

The time he's to waste on marriage should be spent making money (yes, making money because he needs it for his future) grin If she can't wait, she should get lost because when they divorce tomorrow, nigga dey on his own grin

I get your point but pls, dont think everyone must plan his or her life the way u planned it. No one has the same destiny. No one has the same lane as long as life is concerned. Hope u know that some people have been waiting to make this same money and are over 50 without making same money abi?

Hope u know. Bro, if the woman and the man are cool with it, fine. If they can feed, fine, all they need is leave kids. A woman and a man who dont have kids to raise can continue hustle. Marriage doesnt stop one from hustling. In fact there is no difference between when they are dating and married as long as kids dont come in. They just want to make it legal before their creator and everyone else. I dont see anything wrong with that. Money is good, yes, but if everyone should wait till they make this same money, some people will leave this earth not getting married.
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by zcee: 1:20pm On Jan 05, 2019
fergieboy:
people stay in ordinary one room sef and they go born reach 6 pikin

So self con. Is better
how Dem take dey kpansh when children dey inside room with Dem sleeping or not I no know...
Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by Phyde: 1:21pm On Jan 05, 2019
Goodplace:
We are in the same shoe my brother but i have 3 bedroom project on foundation level coz i'm the discipline type when it come to finance with my salary below 80k. I wanna take the bold step to settle down this year in my One-room self contain in a less populated hood and continue my project with a lady who has vision in line with mine. Time wait for no one like some have said.
God will see us through.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Get Married In A Self Contain? by zcee: 1:25pm On Jan 05, 2019
demmydy:
Mr man, cut ur coat accordn 2 ur size. Beta still seek advice from ur pastor Bcus he will always be 4 u.
which pastor shey dem don become marriage counselor...all these religious bigots Sef...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rare But Important Virtues That Can Only Be Found In Village Girls / Introvert Vs Extrovert, Who Will You Date? / Ladies: How Do You Reply A Guy When You Are Not Interested?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.