Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,899 members, 7,956,398 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:13 AM

Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap - Autos (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap (47266 Views)

Why Are American Cars So Big / Nissan Cars / Just Nissan cars thread vin included in Ibadan 08088525399 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by tightpussy156: 10:39pm On Feb 02, 2019
I ran four fourty from.my Nissan Altima I bought the car as tokunbo for 1.3 Millon very clean with ice cold a.c but within 3months problem upon problem ranging from overheat an fan problem,a.c wahala,gearbox I spend close to 600k fixing one problem to the other because I still want use the car since I bought it toks but when repairs don too much I ran four forty.I later sold the car for 300k very give away.after spending like 2.1 Millon's both purchased an repairs within a year.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by Ayoagbajesamuel(m): 11:02pm On Feb 02, 2019
Even naija used pilot and mostly acura are selling so cheap too ?
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by smeag0l(m): 11:17pm On Feb 02, 2019
Nissan cars of the older models even the ones after 2010 have this peculiar gearbox issue/gear selector issue that is always annoying, pocket draining and difficult to fix. Most times, it usually results in a change of gearbox but the issue still has chances of re-occurring even after the change
BestDude:
it is true . I have been wondering same for years. There is a Nigerian used Nissan Murano going for 500k right now and I was about to create a thread today to ask questions. I wanted to buy it for company use cos our works involve moving a lot but at the same time I was worried on same reason the op created this thread.

And my worry centered on whether the car will be giving me problems and lots of problem.

There is another murano going for 650k too.

But you will never see a Toyota of same year sell for less than 1,000,000

So, I will appreciate it if people can help us.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by ericuzor(m): 11:53pm On Feb 02, 2019
nurey:

The 05 to 2010 pathfinder/frontier/xterra had the 4.0L V6 engine. The 05 to 07 was plagued by transmission failure due to a design flaw in the radiator (carlsonic). Most people using the 08 to 2010 never complained but to be on a safer side

1. you can either buy a new I mean brand new tear rubber radiator better if it's not the carlsonic and replace, that way you will have peace of mind for around 75000km or

2. Do a radiator bypass in which you will never have to worry till the vehicle is sold or rapture occurs.
thanx
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by kingreign(m): 12:17am On Feb 03, 2019
nurey:

[s]Nissan/infiniti is by far stronger and durable in parts than a toyota/lexus. but there are certain Nissan with issues especially those of US origin. European Nissan are very strong.[/s]

some Toyota models too had issue like the US 2azfe engine, 2007 cary with gear problem, accelerator sticking in matrix and some other recall.

if you want to buy a car ensure you read the review and user experience before buying

Lexus toyota beats Nissan Infiniti hands down and even Nissan Infiniti knows these and won't say otherwise.

Personal scenarios:

My 03 highlander was a workhouse which served me 4 good years not once did she stopped on the road. Her suspensions, drive components and bushings were intact till she was sold off.

My 05 Lexus is serving me 5years 1 month. Not a single break down save for a nasty pothole I hit one September evening around 8pm along Umuahia- Ikot Ekpene road which caused her shocks to leak and that was fixed. I don't know what else to say about reliability other than that.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by Nobody: 4:57am On Feb 03, 2019
Ebenezerk2:
fx 35 is not a Nissan car but infiniti

Really??
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by shadeyinka(m): 7:16am On Feb 03, 2019
IghoCentric:

U say..... without the themostat some cars will never go into closed loop.. staying in open loop means the ECU just pours fuel and more fuel cos it cant get set temperature parameters from the ECT to regulate its fuel input... more fuel means can cos sludge or black smoke from exhaust overtime... it also means ur engine wont work optimally or live as long... even cars made in africa for africans still ve thermostat... thermostat is not for region its for the engine no matter the region.
If any car works as you have described it, my personal view is that the ECU Programming is poor designed.

I agree that thermostat is a standard design in vehicles wherever the vehicle is to be used in the world. My point is that
1. In tropical areas such as ours: having a Thermostat is NOT a disadvantage for the vehicles performance.
2. . In tropical areas such as ours: having a Thermostat does NOT confer any advantage for the vehicles performance
shadeyinka:

I hope you would State your own reasons.

WHAT?
1. The car thermostat is a mechanical mechanism that is connected to regulate the flow of water/coolant through the engine block from the radiator.
2. The thermostat usually has two STATES
a. Partially Open
b. Fully Opened.
3. When the car engine is COLD, the thermostat valve is Partially Opened to allow the Engine warm up quickly.
4. When the car engine block warms up to a pre-set temperature, the Thermostat Valve Opens FULLY and maximum cooling fluid is allowed to flow through the engine block.
WHY?
Without the Thermostat, the Engine might over-cool to freezing point. This is damaging to the engine.

Other than this, the engine operates better when relatively cool. Infact, the cooler the better(however not to low to affect engine efficiency: this us usually not a problem in our own kind of weather): as long as it doesn't go to freezing temperatures.

In Nigeria, the problem is usually overheating rather than overcoolinging due to the ambient temperature s.

This is the only reason why removing the thermostat in Nigeria wouldn't damage your engine. The only snag is that your cooling fan may work continuously.

And thanks for being educative

@nurey
I am not encouraging removal of thermostat. I am only saying it causes no major performance issue with our kind of climate
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by shadeyinka(m): 7:27am On Feb 03, 2019
nurey:

I don't know what your term performance says but removal of thermostat causes increased wear and tear in engines.

causes reduced life span of engine oil lubricating function (sludge rather than lubrication)

though not a short time effect but a longtime one that depends majorly on engine build quality and engine mileage
How Sir! I will need an explanation!

Reduced life span of oil I think is usually caused by overheating not underheating.
Dont forget that a car which doesn't use an ECU (old models) can still have thermostats installed! So, the thermostat is not necessary for the ECUs functions of optimising vehicle performance (fuel:air ratio, volume of injected fuel, etc)

As far I I know, the only thing that suffers when a thermostat is removed is the Electronic Cooling Fan.

Our weather is so hot that less than 5 minutes after a car is started up, the valve of the thermostat opens up and doesn't close up until the ignition is shut down.

Thanks!
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by nurey(m): 8:02am On Feb 03, 2019
shadeyinka:

How Sir! I will need an explanation!

Reduced life span of oil I think is usually caused by overheating not underheating.
Dont forget that a car which doesn't use an ECU (old models) can still have thermostats installed! So, the thermostat is not necessary for the ECUs functions of optimising vehicle performance (fuel:air ratio, volume of injected fuel, etc)

As far I I know, the only thing that suffers when a thermostat is removed is the Electronic Cooling Fan.

Our weather is so hot that less than 5 minutes after a car is started up, the valve of the thermostat opens up and doesn't close up until the ignition is shut down.

Thanks!

let me make it simpler for you

1. No thermostat and injectors will spray more fuel continously into cylinder head just to try and get the temp up. This will mean more unburnt fuel in the chamber blacks smoke and extremely detonation (cylinder heads get hotter than usual)

2. Engine always cold around 30 degrees hot means engine oil will not thin well and getting to lubricate tiny spaces will be impossible there will be

a too much grinding of metal

b Oil will thicken or cake eventually leading to sludge

c pumps will be clogged due to oil not thickened enough

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by shadeyinka(m): 8:25am On Feb 03, 2019
nurey:

let me make it simpler for you

1. No thermostat and injectors will spray more fuel continously into cylinder head just to try and get the temp up. This will mean more unburnt fuel in the chamber blacks smoke and extremely detonation (cylinder heads get hotter than usual)
I think you have reversed the sequence Sir.

When a thermostat is Open (which is simulated by the removal of the thermostat), the ECU assumes the engine is ALREADY too hot and so it should actually reduce the fuel consumption NOT the other way round. And this is only if this kind of logic is programmed into the ECU which I honestly doubt.

nurey:

2. Engine always cold around 30 degrees hot means engine oil will not thin well and getting to lubricate tiny spaces will be impossible there will be

a too much grinding of metal

b Oil will thicken or cake eventually leading to sludge

c pumps will be clogged due to oil not thickened enough
I think I know where the misconception is. In temperate countries, the engine block even after 10 minutes of operation may still have an average temperature of below 30oC which is bad for the Engine Oils viscosity HOWEVER
30oC temp for a working engine is impossible in tropical climate. Under 2 minutes of ignition and the cars here have averaged a temp of 60oC or even higher. Our room temperature hovers between 27 and 36 oC unlike in temperate countries where the ambient temperatures could go as low as -14oC. (Freezing point of water is 0oC)
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by nurey(m): 8:40am On Feb 03, 2019
shadeyinka:

I think you have reversed the sequence Sir.

When a thermostat is Open (which is simulated by the removal of the thermostat), the ECU assumes the engine is ALREADY too hot and so it should actually reduce the fuel consumption NOT the other way round. And this is only if this kind of logic is programmed into the ECU which I honestly doubt.

I think I know where the misconception is. In temperate countries, the engine block even after 10 minutes of operation may still have an average temperature of below 30oC which is bad for the Engine Oils viscosity HOWEVER
30oC temp for a working engine is impossible in tropical climate. Under 2 minutes of ignition and the cars here have averaged a temp of 60oC or even higher. Our room temperature hovers between 27 and 36 oC unlike in temperate countries where the ambient temperatures could go as low as -14oC. (Freezing point of water is 0oC)

The issue I have with you is you are really not determined to learn and you are behaving ignorant which isn't so considering you have a working knowledge of mechanics.

The thermostat is a mechanical device doesn't give signal or receive signal but works on the principle of heat and expansion. It expands when it senses too much heat and contrast when it senses less heat.

Now the cooling application in a car is called system. A system is comprised of several organs (parts) working together to achieve a stable state (biology)

when you remove a component from a system you have left a flaw in the system which can affect its function.

what I want you to do now is to show a research that says thermostat should be removed in one region and left in another. Also show me a vehicle that was designed for a particular region only.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by shadeyinka(m): 8:49am On Feb 03, 2019
nurey:

The issue I have with you is you are really not determined to learn and you are behaving ignorant which isn't so considering you have a working knowledge of mechanics.

The thermostat is a mechanical device doesn't give signal or receive signal but works on the principle of heat and expansion. It expands when it senses too much heat and contrast when it senses less heat.

Now the cooling application in a car is called system. A system is comprised of several organs (parts) working together to achieve a stable state (biology)

when you remove a component from a system you have left a flaw in the system which can affect its function.

what I want you to do now is to show a research that says thermostat should be removed in one region and left in another. Also show me a vehicle that was designed for a particular region only.
Bye
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by shadeyinka(m): 8:59am On Feb 03, 2019
nurey:

Sorry for being harsh. I hope you've not read my earlier response
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by nurey(m): 9:04am On Feb 03, 2019
shadeyinka:

Sorry for being harsh. I hope you've not read my earlier response
you have apologised so we are good
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by shadeyinka(m): 9:36am On Feb 03, 2019
nurey:

you have apologised so we are good
But with due respect, You are wrong!
No offence intended!
What is the effect of cutting of a healthy appendix from an individual? Isn't it part of the system of a human being? What is the effect of shaving off the human hair? Is it not part of a system?

The workings and the function of a component to it's system is what determine if it is indispensable or not.

Happy Sunday
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by CityNGR: 9:36am On Feb 03, 2019
kingreign:

Lexus toyota beats Nissan Infiniti hands down and even Nissan Infiniti knows these and won't say otherwise.

Personal scenarios:

My 03 highlander was a workhouse which served me 4 good years not once did she stopped on the road. Her suspensions, drive components and bushings were intact till she was sold off.

My 05 Lexus is serving me 5years 1 month. Not a single break down save for a nasty pothole I hit one September evening around 8pm along Umuahia- Ikot Ekpene road which caused her shocks to leak and that was fixed. I don't know what else to say about reliability other than that.
Your Toyota Lexus comes after my W210 E320 2001 model. I strayed into the Honda is good crew... Within a brief period almost all Honda part sellers don sabi me. But on purchase of this workhouse... Ojigbijigbi I have had ABSOLUTE peace of mind since. Handling, bucket seats, you feel like you've not been driving after a 250km drive....it is that good.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by CityNGR: 9:38am On Feb 03, 2019
shadeyinka:

No offence intended!
What is the effect of cutting of a healthy appendix from an individual? Isn't it part of the system of a human being? What is the effect of shaving off the human hair? Is it not part of a system?

The workings and the function of a component to it's system is what determine if it is indispensable or not.

Happy Sunday
Nurey's phone number is on his profile... Kindly give him a call... But I doubt if he's gay.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by shadeyinka(m): 9:43am On Feb 03, 2019
CityNGR:

Nurey's phone number is on his profile... Kindly give him a call... But I doubt if he's gay.
grin grin wink smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 03, 2019
CityNGR:

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by nurey(m): 9:52am On Feb 03, 2019
shadeyinka:

No offence intended!

Happy Sunday

you are also wrong in this. Imagine if I shave your body hair and it never grows back, do you know you will fall sick often because the body air is part of temperature regulator in the human body.

The appendix for now is no go area cause oyinbo see doesn't know it's exact function in the body.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by shadeyinka(m): 10:31am On Feb 03, 2019
nurey:

you are also wrong in this. Imagine if I shave your body hair and it never grows back, do you know you will fall sick often because the body air is part of temperature regulator in the human body.

The appendix for now is no go area cause oyinbo see doesn't know it's exact function in the body.
Too much theory without relation to functionalities!

I sign out!
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by Crixie(m): 10:37am On Feb 03, 2019
platinumricky:
Once upon a time, Nissans literally had bomb proof reliability and were very popular in the used car market. Everything changed after the merger with Renault - a brand which has always had questionable reliability/build quality issues with most of their products. Nissan's quality control simply went downhill afterwards. This merger in 1999 brought about cost cutting and issues started popping up with their powertrains and onboard electronics. Apart from that, a lot of people here are not conversant with handling CVT equipped vehicles. CVTs are particularly unforgiving when the wrong transmission fluids are used, most nissan CVTs use Nissan Matic J which costs about 15-19k a gallon - lots of people here use the dreaded abro & Holt ATFs instead which starts the self destructive sequence of those gearboxes. New generation nissans need almost BMW level of attention to be used as daily drivers - If u are not willing to bring out time to understand them, just stay away.
Ns 1,2 3 are CVT Fluids
Matic J is ATF
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by Crixie(m): 10:50am On Feb 03, 2019
BestDude:
it is true . I have been wondering same for years. There is a Nigerian used Nissan Murano going for 500k right now and I was about to create a thread today to ask questions. I wanted to buy it for company use cos our works involve moving a lot but at the same time I was worried on same reason the op created this thread.

And my worry centered on whether the car will be giving me problems and lots of problem.

There is another murano going for 650k too.

But you will never see a Toyota of same year sell for less than 1,000,000

So, I will appreciate it if people can help us.
Murano uses "CVT gear".Once any kind of funny oil is poured into the gearbox,That's the end of that particular gear.NS 2 /3 or a genuine alternative must be used.Good maintenance practices and a qualified auto mechanic with extensive knowledge of modern nissan vehicles will go a long way in keeping your car in top shape for a long time.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by donpap: 11:15am On Feb 03, 2019
Well I can't say why they are cheap to you. Cos to me they aren't. I have been using Nissan's for over ten yrs now. I drive an altima 2003 model and a tiida 2008 model. Altima bought as naija used,still rocking it after four yrs.tiida bought brand new in 2008 no work apart from change of oil and plugs done on it. So as I keep telling ppl longevity of a car depends on .

1.the condition you bought it in. Bad or good. New or used, used well or used badly.

2.your maintenance culture and love for the car.

Every brand of car has issues depending on nature of use and maintenance. I ll soon be in d mkt looking for a newer altima

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by donpap: 2:55pm On Feb 03, 2019
Ebenezerk2:
fx 35 is not a Nissan car but infiniti

Master infiniti is a Nissan brand
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by zukky79: 4:09pm On Feb 03, 2019
gidjah:

Bought my Nissan Max 2004,used it only for a day and voila...!!! It packed off.I left it at the mech garage since 2014 till date!!,I already used like 4cars since then sef.any one to buy it for 150k in the house abeg??Nissan products too get issues,that product can send one back to the village in a year, wiping off all his investment!!

I am interested in the car. PM me.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by BestDude: 5:35pm On Feb 03, 2019
Benz4pimp:
like I said,someone that knows the value will never sell less,I own a G35 and come with auto+manual,I actually sold off my honda 09 and bought it and shipped in...I am in love with it and can’t sell it.Total landing cost + custom is like 3m
hello, you mean you bought the car from Nigeria, sent the money overseas, shipped it and cleared it without leaving Nigeria?
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by BestDude: 5:43pm On Feb 03, 2019
Crossbow:
Pls gurus in the house, I am planning to buy a Kia Cerato (manual transmission) this year 2014 model, but someone just described Kia products as 'cartons'. This is going to be my first car and my budget is 2M. Pls are there any issues with this car? Can I get something else with that budget?
you can get a Camry for that price. Check . use their App.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 03, 2019
BestDude:
hello, you mean you bought the car from Nigeria, sent the money overseas, shipped it and cleared it without leaving Nigeria?
yes
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by Essont(m): 10:34pm On Feb 03, 2019
Bro, i have my interest currently on Mercedes, especially the w202 kompressor facelift, can you please give me a succinct analysis of the brand and models?

A selfless review bro, like maintenance, reliability, economy,
the dos and don'ts.

Thank you.
CityNGR:

Your Toyota Lexus comes after my W210 E320 2001 model. I strayed into the Honda is good crew... Within a brief period almost all Honda part sellers don sabi me. But on purchase of this workhouse... Ojigbijigbi I have had ABSOLUTE peace of mind since. Handling, bucket seats, you feel like you've not been driving after a 250km drive....it is that good.
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by CityNGR: 10:41pm On Feb 03, 2019
Essont:
Bro, i have my interest currently on Mercedes, especially the w202 kompressor facelift, can you please give me a succinct analysis of the brand and models?

A selfless review bro, like maintenance, reliability, economy,
the dos and don'ts.

Thank you.

https://www.nairaland.com/4912061/heres-why-old-mercedes-live#73969418

https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general
Re: Why Are Nissan Cars So Dead Cheap by BestDude: 6:53am On Feb 04, 2019
Benz4pimp:
yes

Please can you detail the step by step process? The site you bought them, the company that tows it to the shipping company and the shipping company used and how you clear.

I really want to learn. Though I was going to create a thread to ask until I saw your comment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Own Pre-order Tale With Inspired Autos (Finally delivered, resolved) / Fairly Used Mack Trucks / US Woman Shocked To Find Giant Python Inside Engine Of Her Malfunctioning SUV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.