Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,103 members, 7,814,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match (32498 Views)

Chelsea Boss Exposes Secret Lesson He Learnt From EPL After Trashing Huddersfied / Proud Chelsea Fan Gives Birth To Twins During Champions League Match. Photos / 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 08, 2019
naturalwaves:

There are no golden rules to this sir. On the flip side, Suarez left the same Liverpool for Barcelonia and so far so good, he has been far far more decorated than he would have been if he had remained at Liverpool.
Countinho leaving Liverpool for Barcelonia is just a normal career progression and career progressions should be encouraged.
Well, that's why I used Coutinho as a case study, not Suarez. Besides the season that Gerrard slipped against Chelsea and consequently cost them the EPL title, Liverpool hasn't come close to winning a major title than the not-too-distant previous seasons when Coutinho was still present. Coutinho's decision to leave the reds was understandable, but if he had been patient a little bit (with the knowledge of the great potentials embedded in the Liverpool team), he would be much happier right now.
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by naturalwaves: 2:01pm On May 08, 2019
DanXplore:

I try to avoid detailed analysis on both players especially on nairaland because i know alot of people do not play football in real life and as such will not understand why Messi is being referred to most as the GOAT. It is so funny of you say that Ronaldo will not put himself in position of danger. Incase you do not know, more than half of the time spent by teams practising to play against Barcelona is on how to stop Messi. You could easily confirm that. This is b3caue he is unpredictable. You can never tell whether he will give a dangerours through ball, dribble or score and so a huge chunk of the defence resource is allocated to stop these posibilities.

First of all we all know that Messi and Ronaldo play different roles. They are both great footballers but then there is a reason why Messi is being compared with Pelle, Maradona and co and Ronaldo is not. I am not trying to win any arguement as to who is better cause i doubt if you would be objective in your analysis. Here are some facts i will leave you with to judge.

[quote author=DanXplore post=78212766]1. Messi plays CF, SS, LWF, RWF, AMF, CMF and free roles. On the other hand, ronaldo plays CF and rarely plays LMF and RWF. This speaks much about versality.
What a joke! This point is useless to say the least...In his hay days, Ronaldo alternated between LWF,RWF,and CF. He reduced his mobility as he grew older and now plays more as a CF. When did Messi play as a CF and what was the outcome? Most players can play anywhere. It is not about just saying someone can play in a certain position. The question is, what is the overall outcome in such position.
My point is that , this one you mentioned is a very weak and watery comparison. I have even seen Eto play defence

DanXplore:
2. Ronaldo is a better CF and attacking LWF than Messi.
Another meanaingless comparison. By virtue of their play positions, he is supposed to e better than Messi in such positions while Messi is expected to be a better AMF than Ronaldo

DanXplore:
3. Messi is by far a better playmaker than Ronaldo. It has been proven severally.
Another meaningless comparision...........Ronaldo is not expected to be a playmaker by virtue of his positioning.....the play making role is more suitable for players who play often in the CAM and AMF.

DanXplore:

4. Messi is a more acurate long and short range pass maker than Ronaldo.
Messi strings in small small passes often by virtue of his role. However, Ronaldo has a better pass accuracy than Messi. So far so good, Ronaldo had about 85.3% pass accuracy last time I checked while Messi had around 82% pass accuracy.
DanXplore:
5. Messi is a better dribbler than Ronaldo

Yeah right.
DanXplore:
6. Ronaldo supercedes Messi in jump power, making him a great header. Ronaldo is a better striker.

Yeah right. Not only does he supercede him in this. Ronaldo is the gretaest nodder/ header of the ball in the history of football. No one does it better than him dead or alive. The closest should be the great Olivier Bierhoff.
DanXplore:
7. Messi plays the false 9 position. A position that requires only very skillful players. On the other hand, Ronaldo sometimes play the false winger which does not necessarily translate to uncommon skill, but means even though his crosses are good, he is best a striker.

Watery.
DanXplore:
8. Messi is a better free kick taker than Ronaldo.

Yeah...and Ronaldo is a better penalty taker than Messi.

Having said these,

1. Ronaldo is dual footed while Messi is one legged
2. Ronaldo has a better shot power than Messi
3. Ronaldo is a better long range shooter than Messi
4. Though Messi has a better acceleration than Ronaldo, Ronaldo has a better velocity than Messi
5. Messi has a better shot accuracy than Ronaldo

Above all, Ronaldo has a better mentality and confidence than Messi and barely fizzles out when the chips are down.

2 Likes

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by cr7lomo: 2:02pm On May 08, 2019
DanXplore:

I try to avoid detailed analysis on both players especially on nairaland because i know alot of people do not play football in real life and as such will not understand why Messi is being referred by most to be the GOAT. It is so funny of you say that Ronaldo will not put himself in position of danger. Incase you do not know, more than half of the time spent by teams practising to play against Barcelona is on how to stop Messi. You could easily confirm that from Arsene Wanger's interview on youtube. This is b3caue he is unpredictable. You can never tell whether he will give a lethal long/short through ball, dribble or score and so a huge chunk of the defence resources is allocated to stop these posibilities.

First of all, we all know that Messi and Ronaldo play different roles. They are both great footballers but then there is a reason why Messi is being compared with Pelle, Maradona and other well known legends while Ronaldo is not. This alone silently speaks volumes. I am not trying to win any arguement as to who is better because i doubt you would be objective in your analysis but here are some facts i will leave you with to judge.

1. Messi plays CF, SS, LWF, RWF, AMF, CMF and free roles. On the other hand, ronaldo plays CF and rarely plays LMF and RWF. This speaks much about versality.

3. Messi is by far a better playmaker than Ronaldo. It has been proven severally.
5. Messi is a better dribbler than Ronaldo.
6. Ronaldo supercedes Messi in jump power, making him a great header. Ronaldo is a better striker.
7. Messi plays the false 9 position. A position that requires only very skillful players. On the other hand, Ronaldo sometimes play the false winger which does not necessarily translate to uncommon skill, but means even though his crosses are good, he is best a striker.

U just typed trash...the question here is when last did messi play in the CL final with all those attributes u mentioned and how come ronaldo with the attributes u mentioned has won 4 CL titles in 5 yrs?? Answer...don't tell me teams cos Barca are equally good...la liga champions 4times in 5yrs... So answer my question
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by naturalwaves: 2:07pm On May 08, 2019
Jayhazard:

Well, that's why I used Coutinho as a case study, not Suarez. Besides the season that Gerrard slipped against Chelsea and consequently cost them the EPL title, Liverpool hasn't come close to winning a major title than the not-too-distant previous seasons when Coutinho was still present. Coutinho's decision to leave the reds was understandable, but if he had been patient a little bit (with the knowledge of the great potentials embedded in the Liverpool team), he would be much happier right now.
This ideology is still a bit twisted in my opinion. It could have still gone either way.
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by dannypaul(m): 2:23pm On May 08, 2019
my own lesson.

last week messi was GOAT, today he is Mercy Aigbe.

indeed the world will switch up on you when things aren't going for you any longer without even considering ur past successes.
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by emmanuelpopson(m): 2:26pm On May 08, 2019
the end justifies the means...

don't give up.. never give up

be prepared for anything irrespective of whom and what you are...

don't underestimate anyone

the egg will eventually become the cock.. (TAA)

always have a plan B...
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by donoro(m): 2:39pm On May 08, 2019
ClintonNzedimma:

Regardless of what you say, Messi remains the player of the tournament
which tournament abeg wake up even Ronaldo who lifted the cup last season didn't get the award it's now that midget that has not gotten to the final for past 3 years angry angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Ozkar: 2:44pm On May 08, 2019
Sanchez01:
The lesson I learnt:

Messi has a way of being useless in super important matches. Ronaldo can never be in the Barca team and allow such a historic comeback. They might have lost but he would score!
rubbish. Ronaldo was in a world class Madrid team when Dortmund thrashed them 4 - 1 to dump them out of the UCL. He also did nothing when Barca dumped them out. Or when Juve knocked them out in 2015.

His Juve team (undisputed kings of Italy for 8 years now) also got dumped out this season in the UCL even after he claimed he was signed to win the UCL for Juve. This is after getting battered by Atalanta to knock them out of their league cup.

The only reason Madrid won the UCL multiple times was cos they had very creative players (all Ronaldo needed to do was get in to scoring position for a header or tap-in), and when Ronaldo had bad games (like the semis and final last season), his teammates stood up and won the games regardless.

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Threemg: 2:49pm On May 08, 2019
IamD18:
7. FOOTBALL is just unpredictable.

8. god of soccer is bigger than Messi.

9. Learn from your mistakes, just like Barca failed to do after loosing in this manner last season to Roma.

10. Arnold is better than Ashely Young.

Seems you forgot what you said last week.

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by actrinity(m): 2:53pm On May 08, 2019
Injiggerwolf:
Don't build a team on an individual
so true. that's why I love Liverpool slogan....YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE.
They believe so much in team player. my happiness knew no bound last night.
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 08, 2019
cr7lomo:

U just typed trash...the question here is when last did messi play in the CL final with all those attributes u mentioned and how come ronaldo with the attributes u mentioned has won 4 CL titles in 5 yrs?? Answer...don't tell me teams cos Barca are equally good...la liga champions 4times in 5yrs... So answer my question

Your logic shows poor judgement. It is not any less ridiculous as saying Benzema is a better player than Ronaldo because he has won World Cup.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by cr7lomo: 3:19pm On May 08, 2019
DanXplore:

Your logic shows poor judgement. It is not any less ridiculous as saying Benzema is a better player than Ronaldo because he has won World Cup.

So is modric a better player than Ronaldo cos he got to the WC final??
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 08, 2019
cr7lomo:

So is modric a better player than Ronaldo cos he got to the WC final??

Based on your logic, yes. But based on reality, Ronaldo is better.
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by cr7lomo: 3:23pm On May 08, 2019
dannypaul:
my own lesson.

last week messi was GOAT, today he is Mercy Aigbe.

indeed the world will switch up on you when things aren't going for you any longer without even considering ur past successes.

One of the most important quotes in football is" you are only as good as your last game"

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by sssoulw(m): 3:25pm On May 08, 2019
U dy very stupid... angry
2015 when they all their necessary cup na wetin
Akuruoulo:
Is barca or messi the previous champion ?

JUST shut up UR MOUTH IF U DONT KNOW TO CONSOLE YOURSELF
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by cr7lomo: 3:30pm On May 08, 2019
DanXplore:

Based on your logic, yes. But based on reality, Ronaldo is better.

I was comparing ronaldo and messi when it comes to my logic...but Ronaldo flaws modric in all ramifications...from attributes to importance or imposing games to technicalities to intelligence ...
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 08, 2019
naturalwaves:

Sometimes, I wish that the IQ level of every nairalander is displayed on their profile so that one can be careful on who to engage. You say a lot of things that are false and baseless. Even if you are lazy to visit a competent site like fifa to get your facts, just visit any game shop( though not very reliable) and check the stats of both players. Your write up has a lot of inconsistencies and mix ups and I don’t know where to start. You appear to mix up centre forward position with ‘attack’ which is perhaps the most disappointing. CF is a subset of attack. Don’t you know that there is a difference between attacking LMF/RMF and midfield LMF/RMF? Don’t you know that being a CF as a false 9 is totally different from being a dedicated centring CF? I will not raise any more arguments on this subject as it is evident you do not know what you re saying. I will only engage you when I am convinced you understand the various football positions, roles, formation types and stats used to value a player. For now, you are not objective but just unnecessarily biased towards Ronaldo. Your prime source of error is the result of poor football education.

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by jojothaiv(m): 3:37pm On May 08, 2019
Nothing last forever

The FG is just another Barcelona waiting to happen...

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Teaser4(m): 4:06pm On May 08, 2019
Threemg:

Seems you forgot what you said last week.
they can still end up trophyless... quote me by 10pm June 1, 2019. Make Ajax qualify first...yu go no say cup finals different from double leg matches...
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Teaser4(m): 4:08pm On May 08, 2019
My only problem with y'all anti messi n Barcelona...be if we win you go talk, if we lose you go talk...aye yin baje ni, won fi shey yin ni... we lost ehn its not new... make Liverpool carry trophy first...dem final curse go hunt them ...wait n see ...quote me by 10PM (June 1, 2019)...
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by phorget(m): 4:08pm On May 08, 2019
"Always understand that their are many type of MESSIs, we have Messi Aigbe and Messi Johnson.
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by BlackManta(m): 5:04pm On May 08, 2019
naturalwaves:

There are no golden rules to this sir. On the flip side, Suarez left the same Liverpool for Barcelonia and so far so good, he has been far far more decorated than he would have been if he had remained at Liverpool.
Countinho leaving Liverpool for Barcelonia is just a normal career progression and career progressions should be encouraged.

What about game time.

How many matches did Coutinho play for Barça this season.
Mind you, the main reason why he is getting game time lately is because of Dembele's injury.
When Dembele was fully fit, Coutinho barely plays... He was always a bench warmer until Dembele's injury.
This is the guy they bought for €146m.
Look at what Barça reduced him to...Dembele's second fiddle undecided

Coutinho at Liverpool was a star player, the most valued Liverpool player...he plays up to 45 games in a season and seldom warms the bench.
He scores goals and produces assists.

Coutinho may have won trophies at Barça but as an individual he regressed.
A time came when the Spanish press and the media started writing articles about him and asking questions about his future.

He's a shadow of his former self... Dembele's second fiddle.
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by PMBtill2023: 5:28pm On May 08, 2019
fidalgo19:
Barca really stupid for giving looserpool hope like this
very very stupppid club
nonsense
atleast no hope for them for epl and hopefully they wont win ucl
GO AND HANG YOURSELF!
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by internationalman(m): 5:47pm On May 08, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
which world cup year 2010 when Messi won it was it not a world cup year...even wen Schneider and xavi had done enough to win...a Messi who did not score won..it's individual award...last award Ronaldo ought to have won...so to balance equation pple like dijk shd win it...
But you know it will be very hard for Liverpool players to win it considering the season Messi has'd so far..
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by OGHENAOGIE(m): 5:59pm On May 08, 2019
internationalman:

But you know it will be very hard for Liverpool players to win it considering the season Messi has'd so far..
which season...he won LA liga same as Ronaldo won seria A mpabbe won ligue one...sterling might win premiership...or even Liverpool with van dirk who had been outstanding...so man Messi is not a favorite between Euro nations league,copa America and nations cup dee dee...so u see anything can happen to tilt d advantage for anyone
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by internationalman(m): 6:07pm On May 08, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
which season...he won LA liga same as Ronaldo won seria A mpabbe won ligue one...sterling might win premiership...or even Liverpool with van dirk who had been outstanding...so man Messi is not a favorite between Euro nations league,copa America and nations cup dee dee...so u see anything can happen to tilt d advantage for anyone
let's just wait and see..
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Akuruoulo(m): 6:57pm On May 08, 2019
sssoulw:
U dy very stupid... angry
2015 when they all their necessary cup na wetin

BITTER MAD DOG.
A CHILD WEY THEM BORN 2015 NA HOW MANY YEARS ?
SINCE SEP BLATTER AND MICHEAL PLATINI LEFT, HOW MARKET FOR BARCA.
IT WAA UEFALONA THEN

DON'T FOR THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY PREVIOUS CHAMPION IF U ARE counting SINCE ANCIENT TIME.
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by romeorailss: 7:03pm On May 08, 2019
henrixx:
I disagree. Wasn't he there v Ajax? If not Messi who can do it for Barcelona?

At Madrid there was marcelo, there was RAMOS, there was carvajal, there was BALE. these players could stand up when Madrid were down. Ronaldo mostly did it when there was no pressure. 2 finals v atletico where was Ronaldo, v Liverpool where was Ronaldo. The players around you matter. At juve now they don't have such players who can stand up and that's why juve lost. There was no Costa, no chiellini, no mandzukic. These are the spirited players that can do it in such times. If Ronaldo and Messi aren't surrounded with spirited players there's nothing they can do

You guys are always quick to forget .

Real Madrid vs Wolfsburg. 2-0 deficit was upturned by Ronaldo . Singlehandedly , scoring 3 goals

Same this year Juventus vs Atletico. 2-0 was upturned by Ronaldo. Scoring 3 goals as well

. The same situ that befell Barca almost happened to Madrid against juventus last 2 seasons .

Madrid needed just one goal in the hit of the moment to qualify . Ronaldo scored and did it .

Messi played Roma last season with a 4-1 advantage. But still lost qualification to Roma . They needed just one goal to qualify .

Same thing yesterday, they needed just one goal to qualify. What did Messi do ?

2 Likes

Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by immaculate1234(m): 7:04pm On May 08, 2019
Messi is the goat, anfield is the abattoir
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Akuruoulo(m): 7:19pm On May 08, 2019
DanXplore:

I try to avoid detailed analysis on both players especially on nairaland because i know alot of people do not play football in real life and as such will not understand why Messi is being referred by most to be the GOAT. It is so funny of you say that Ronaldo will not put himself in position of danger. Incase you do not know, more than half of the time spent by teams practising to play against Barcelona is on how to stop Messi. You could easily confirm that from Arsene Wanger's interview on youtube. This is b3caue he is unpredictable. You can never tell whether he will give a lethal long/short through ball, dribble or score and so a huge chunk of the defence resource is allocated to stop these posibilities.

First of all, we all know that Messi and Ronaldo play different roles. They are both great footballers but then there is a reason why Messi is being compared with Pelle, Maradona and other well known legends while Ronaldo is not. This alone silently speaks volumes. I am not trying to win any arguement as to who is better because i doubt you would be objective in your analysis but here are some facts i will leave you with to judge.

1. Messi plays CF, SS, LWF, RWF, AMF, CMF and free roles. On the other hand, ronaldo plays CF and rarely plays LMF and RWF. This speaks much about versality.

5. Messi is a better dribbler than Ronaldo.

man shut ur thrash up .

U are very bais , and this exactly why I won't argue with u on this , and if u wish I will still prove u wrong and my only two proves will shatter ur bais mind .
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by henrixx(m): 7:26pm On May 08, 2019
romeorailss:

You guys are always quick to forget .

Real Madrid vs Wolfsburg. 2-0 deficit was upturned by Ronaldo . Singlehandedly , scoring 3 goals

Same this year Juventus vs Atletico. 2-0 was upturned by Ronaldo. Scoring 3 goals as well

. The same situ that befell Barca almost happened to Madrid against juventus last 2 seasons .

Madrid needed just one goal in the hit of the moment to qualify . Ronaldo scored and did it .

Messi played Roma last season with a 4-1 advantage. But still lost qualification to Roma . They needed just one goal to qualify .

Same thing yesterday, they needed just one goal to qualify. What did Messi do ?
Barcelona do not have spirited players like Madrid. They have pepe Ramos carvajal bale benzema. These are players with fighting spirit. Wen Madrid needed that goal v juventus wasn't the penalty Ronaldo scored won by Vazquez?

This season v atletico. The true man of the Match was bernardeschi. There was also cancelo and matuidi. At Barcelona yesterday who was there to fight? Nobody. Even Ronaldo in this Barcelona team would struggle
Re: Liverpool Vs Barcelona: Lessons I Learnt From The Champion’s League Match by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 08, 2019
Akuruoulo:

man shut ur thrash up .

U are very bais , and this exactly why I won't argue with u on this , and if u wish I will still prove u wrong and my only two proves will shatter ur bais mind .

You are a beer palour analyst. Go to your streets and argue with people of like mind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jay-Jay Okocha With English Premier League Trophy In Lagos (Photos) / Lee Mason Quits As Premier League VAR Referee / Phillipe Coutinho Returns To Liverpool For Birthday Party (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.