Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. (41098 Views)

My Interview Experience At A Law Firm In Lekki / My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm / My Friend's Interview Experience With A Company In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by samcus(m): 8:18am On Jun 09, 2019
deltateam:

In your dreams?
since u can't air ur shallow opinion without element of insult,hope u re happy now"pple with little or no brain always think they have a say"
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Omobolaji20(m): 8:38am On Jun 09, 2019
Nathdoug201:
My bet when remain 1 game to play now 9 dey my mind..
Just for Nigeria women to win Norway women

Bros, how market.
I nor know why uno cash out sef
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by ObaOloye: 8:43am On Jun 09, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
I am a Partner and not working in any of the Nigerian branches, if i decide to take up a role in naija, they will still pay me according to my employment terms.

When i first started i was a graduate trainee on N800k per month. It is a really good place to work and the stakes are very high.

For a start you need to have a 2:1, at the time of applying you need to be freshly out of Uni. It exposes you to CEOs, top Executives, access to the best of life. A really good place to work, once you start all your money problems is solved.

One of the Nigerian guys i work with is a senior manager/ with 13 years experience, he is on N6.2 million a month.

Let me not even begin with your moniker..

Oga partner, you earn 1.4m a month as a partner while you started this job as a graduate trainee on a salary for of 800k per month??

So the pay difference between an associate and a partner is 600k??

The kind judgement that awaits you can be foretold... All you people that come here to lie to other human beings.

3 Likes

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by zone51: 8:47am On Jun 09, 2019
lilwetdick:

different companies have different cultures, just because you dress casually in one company does not mean another company will accept it.

Not casual. Just shirt and trouser without suit. cool
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by ObaOloye: 8:48am On Jun 09, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
This thread is about earning in naira so i do conversions to encourage people who may want to work with us.

Also, the amounts in quote are net, if you want actual figures add 35 percent tax paid to it and you will get the gross pay.

If i am offered a role in naija, i will not accept N30k per day.

There are dowside to the job, strict deadlines, working with people who knows nothing about the job and yet they are paid more, they have a job because of you yet you earn less.

Also, a very fast lifestyle, be ready for anything at staff parties, depression may kick in if you are not sportive though we have indoor gym. Lots of pretty young girls with less experience carrying laptops they know nothing about yet earn way more.

See how inconsistent your lies are...

NO other staff earns more than a partner..

3 Likes

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by ObaOloye: 8:52am On Jun 09, 2019
TotoNaRubber:

Yes it takes 15 years to be a partner in naija just like it takes 22 years to obtain Phd in naija which takes 3 years in a developed country.

I dash phones to Nigerians on monthly basis, have to stay within budget, N25k to N30k phone on dash is alright.

This is a financial institution and not a football club. Salaries are reviewed on annual basis.

KPMG is not and has never been a Financial Institution..
Awon dasher

2 Likes

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Sirwallace(m): 8:56am On Jun 09, 2019
rman:

Please leave immediately if don’t have immediate financial issues
Your beginning was exactly like mine almost 12 years ago. I studied engineering too and got a job almost immediately after NYSC for 25k a month.
I resumed and was basically been used as a factory worker, I left just after two weeks!
Almost a month later, I was successful in an interview process with a telecoms servicing firm, 6 months into that role , I joined one of the main guys earning more than 250k a month.

See the big difference knowing your worth can make. The guys I left behind did not acquire any specific skills and spent almost 7 years without anything to show.

Know your worth but you must also be ready to defend the wages you ask for in terms of service

Thanks. Like I said, I am leaving next month. Yours was even fast. Just 2 weeks before you left.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 09, 2019
VillagePipu:

I was once on a project for an International charity in Abuja. My Project Lead was paid $12K per month. A job that we go 3 weeks on and 1 week off. Armoured Land cruiser for daily movement and helicopter trips when moving to the North.

He was working from home mostly.

Yes BRO, people never believe those offers are real. We just need to have a positive mindset that we can earn a good pay. Imagine having a very myopic mindset that International companies can never pay you their own local rates, even God will not let you the opportunity because your mindset has already disqualified you.

2 Likes

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Praktikals(m): 9:44am On Jun 09, 2019
Nathdoug201:
My bet when remain 1 game to play now 9 dey my mind..
Just for Nigeria women to win Norway women
I wish you the best, bro
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by TotoNaRubber: 10:05am On Jun 09, 2019
No it is not a financial institution. It is a political party, infact it used to be called APc but now KPMG.

i am not the reason for your frustrations �

ObaOloye:

KPMG is not and has never been a Financial Institution..
Awon dasher

1 Like

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by HitSong: 10:17am On Jun 09, 2019
MaziOmenuko:
Let me share mine in a minute.

I applied for a senior managerial role for one of the top breweries in the country. A HR person called me like 3 months later after I had almost forgotten the application. She introduced herself and asked if she was speaking with Mr ABC and I said yes. She asked if it was a good time to talk and I said yes. Na my first mistake be that. Actually, it wasn't a good time to talk. I and taken some days off from work to supervise some contract work being done at my site. I was not in my best and never thought it was a phone interview. I felt she was going to schedule an interview date with me; never knew it was a phone interview.

Immediately I said yes, the questions started flying in from left, right and center. Infact, I was in a conference call with a group of HR people and a very senior manager I would be reporting to.

Needless to say that I fluffed most of the questions. Infact, I was so off my game. Couldn't string words together, kept stammering and sturtering. Even me wasn't impressed by my performance and I knew I couldn't even convince myself to hire me. I was better than that, but the call was at the wrongest time.

She did say she would get back to me, but I was sure she wasnt going to, and she hasn't.

[s]@OP, about the dressing part, I learnt that a long time ago. Always dress smart, be on suit always. If I am going to miss out on a job, it won't be for dressing. Most times, I buy new suits for any job interview I'm scheduled for. You can never get it wrong with a suit.[/s]
Rubbish
Copy copy oyinbo
You wear suit in this heat?
That's silly

1 Like

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by HitSong: 10:24am On Jun 09, 2019
frankyskyboi:
I already have a stable job tho but I just thought of attending interviews with the aim of either greener pastures and to experience what most job seekers pass through. I'm a pharmacist though

The First was a job vacancy advertised on nairaland by an online firm in UK, they needed an online health rep.. The interview was on WhatsApp..They drilled me with so many research questions, gave me deadlines to submit and I always wowed them by submitting before deadline.. The interview process took about a week.. The next week..They called for salary negotiation..I was so excited but my excitement was cut short when they told me they're paying according to minimum wage..i was taken aback..even though I opted for part time..30000 wasn't cool because I knew their rep in uk won't be paid same wage..i told them that I should be paid same as the person working in uk since it's almost same job description but they said they'll pay according to country's minimum wage. I told them even a part time pharmacist cant earn such amount..she said Nigerians are obsessed with money..started giving entrepreneurship gospel bla bla..I just kuku lost interest..lol
This could be the biggest mistake of your life.
Minimum wage is the least payment and it's usually for level one.
For your level which is not supposed to be less than 8or9, you should be paid around 160to200k.
YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED THEM TO EXPLAIN TO YOU WHAT THEY MEANT BY MINIMUM WAGE JUST SO YOU UNDERSTAND WELL.
THIS COULD HAVE JUST BEEN AN EXPENSIVE UNDERSTANDING ERROR ON YOUR PATH....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by HitSong: 10:33am On Jun 09, 2019
foolbuster:

This type of reasoning is part of the problem of this country. I honestly dont blame you thou. Because hunger can reset somebody's comon sense and more harm than have the capacity to make you surrender your dignity.
Yah

All these for
Auntysimbiat grin
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by romeorailss: 10:38am On Jun 09, 2019
grin angry
MaziOmenuko:
Let me share mine in a minute.

I applied for a senior managerial role for one of the top breweries in the country. A HR person called me like 3 months later after I had almost forgotten the application. She introduced herself and asked if she was speaking with Mr ABC and I said yes. She asked if it was a good time to talk and I said yes. Na my first mistake be that. Actually, it wasn't a good time to talk. I and taken some days off from work to supervise some contract work being done at my site. I was not in my best and never thought it was a phone interview. I felt she was going to schedule an interview date with me; never knew it was a phone interview.

Immediately I said yes, the questions started flying in from left, right and center. Infact, I was in a conference call with a group of HR people and a very senior manager I would be reporting to.

Needless to say that I fluffed most of the questions. Infact, I was so off my game. Couldn't string words together, kept stammering and sturtering. Even me wasn't impressed by my performance and I knew I couldn't even convince myself to hire me. I was better than that, but the call was at the wrongest time.

She did say she would get back to me, but I was sure she wasnt going to, and she hasn't.

@OP, about the dressing part, I learnt that a long time ago. Always dress smart, be on suit always. If I am going to miss out on a job, it won't be for dressing. Most times, I buy new suits for any job interview I'm scheduled for. You can never get it wrong with a suit.

So for someone who is qualified for the job and not buoyant enough to own a suit . He should lose out just because he couldn't wear a suit ?

Wore a shirt n trouser and looks food for an interview . To me that's a misplaced priority . Appearance matters but the mentality of u must put on a suit for an interview is an underscore angry

2 Likes

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Japhet31: 11:04am On Jun 09, 2019
frankyskyboi:
The second was a pharmaceutical firm in Ikeja.i was sent an email to attend the interview after I applied online.I went there with a shirt n trouser(cooperate)..tucked in like a job seeker would do..was the first to arrive..I waited and was told to wait for md but meanwhile I should write aptitude test..I took the test it was a mixture of maths n English..I could remember some algebra..i answered most of the questions.. while writing..2 other applicants came in of which one was a nysc friend..They all dressed in suits..I felt intimidated sha...I finished the test , submitted and was called to meet the MD..I came into his office..greeted , sat down and waited for his questions..he first criticised my dressing saying I'm not following the etiquette of dressing for an interview..I was confused because Im always on cooperate wear when I attend such events.. maybe he wanted suit..after Askin a few questions of which I answered well..They thanked me n promised to get back to me..few days later my friend called me that he was called for a meeting with the MD..mixed feelings got me..I congratulated him o but I felt bad because I wasn't called despite my preparations and expenses but it was quite an experience(maybe because I didn't wear suit)..it's not easy to be a job seeker in Nigeria..I've put myself in the shoes and understood the plight of graduates.

The suit thing... its really something down here
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by kpansia: 11:08am On Jun 09, 2019
Enough of this minimum wage crap, minimum wage as in 30k if for low level cadre say for in instance factory assistants, gatemen, drivers etc not for graduates who are at higher cadres. I don't have the right information now but I know that a graduate in Fed. Govt agencies would be ranked level 8 and should not earn less than 100k. New recruit drivers, gatemen etc would be the ones on level 1 or 2 and are expected to earn around 30k. You can more complete info from state or FG agencies, or labour unions and be well informed on this matter. Thanks.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by kpansia: 11:22am On Jun 09, 2019
On the dressing part, I for one will never feel guilty no matter what any recruiter says if I do not wear a suit to a pharmaceutical or food company interview, I am not applying to a bank for crying out loud. General lesson I have learnt about job interviews, it is not also easy for recruiters too, so as an applicant just maintain your calm as some jobs are just right for you no matter what while some are not, if its yours, you may not be the best dressed, the highest scorer, etc etc. If its yours, only one thing the recruiter sees in you may give you the job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Japhet31: 11:46am On Jun 09, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
No it is not a financial institution. It is a political party, infact it used to be called APc but now KPMG.

i am not the reason for your frustrations �

lol
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 09, 2019
Thanks for all your contributions..I learnt from you all
For those saying I missed out because they said it's according to minimum wage that they'll pay..you're wrong.
She gave me a breakdown of the pay which is 1k per weekday and 1500 per Saturday..if you sum it up..its about 26k monthly..They Even said I can be a director by buying shares in the company and expect dividends.. hahahaha..I don't want to go far..I did it fun jare

About the second company..I felt bad I couldn't get the job because of suit..lol..but my grievance is that the HR is supposed to give a feedback that one is successful or not and tell him the error so one can correct it instead of keeping mute..at least I spent money to transport myself there
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by LeoFish92(m): 12:13pm On Jun 09, 2019
AntiWailer:

U don't have to be experienced before u are skilled as a programmer

If u leave school with skills in programming languages, u are skilled but not experienced.

Shut up and stop arguing blindly.

That is the trade I av done for more than a decade.

I have managed and recruited a lot of programmers during that period.

Before you argue with me on what u know nothing about, once again, shut d fck up.

I studied biology but I'm currently learning python, with an eye for mobile app development with kyvi and web development with django and MongoDB

Does that alone qualify me to be a programmer?

I get my tutorials from YouTube videos
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nathdoug201: 12:14pm On Jun 09, 2019
Praktikals:

I wish you the best, bro
the ticket don already tear na
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Bankyshinani(m): 12:22pm On Jun 09, 2019
dominique:

If you know your worth you will never settle for less. A U.K. based company that has staff doing same job in the UK as one in Nigeria should not be paying such ridiculous amount. That company wants to capitalize on the unemployment situation in the country as well as graduates' desperation to secure employment.
That is what most of this companies do. They capitalize on the high unemployment rate in naija to pay graduates anyhow and also use them as they like
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Halezis(m): 12:42pm On Jun 09, 2019
I've really learnt a lot from this thread. Potential mechanical engineering graduate next two years. With the kind of suffering we're going through here in the name of studiesgrin Earning as low as these amounts would be heartbreaking. Let's pray things get better before thensmiley
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by VillagePipu: 12:50pm On Jun 09, 2019
Halezis:
I've really learnt a lot from this thread. Potential mechanical engineering graduate next two years. With the kind of suffering we're going through here in the name of studiesgrin Earning as low as these amounts would be heartbreaking. Let's pray things get better before thensmiley

Things won't get better before then. That's the sad truth.

Better go and learn skills relevant to your career path before then so that once you get out, you have the skills and only need to acquire experience.

That's a sure way to boost your career.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by PotatoSalad(m): 1:03pm On Jun 09, 2019
deltateam:

It depends on the course you read. Some courses have higher employability rates than others. Some courses have high prestige though but are over saturated thus high competition.

Everyone needs guidance counseling before picking a course.
Unfortunately, my degree certificate is wasting in my file cabinet. The things putting food on my table today, i did not learn in school.

4 Likes

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Halezis(m): 1:35pm On Jun 09, 2019
VillagePipu:

Things won't get better before then. That's the sad truth.

Better go and learn skills relevant to your career path before then so that once you get out, you have the skills and only need to acquire experience.

That's a sure way to boost your career.
I'm on it, thankssmiley
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Praktikals(m): 1:44pm On Jun 09, 2019
Nathdoug201:
the ticket don already tear na
I replied before checking the result. I wish you a better luck next time.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 09, 2019
auntysimbiat:
Learn to start little.. 30k job is sumtin.. Dat won't stop you from looking out for other jobs..

Comparing wot dey pay in UK to nigeria is none of ur biz..

Even in some companies in nigeria, they pay some people high and some people low... same job role and same qualification ..

There is something called Purchasing power parity, which places value on what the currency can purchase rather than the amount. So they should use that basis and simple concert it based on that .

How can u be collecting minumum wage when you're not a cleaner

1 Like

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by AlphaT1(m): 2:02pm On Jun 09, 2019
dominique:

If you know your worth you will never settle for less. A U.K. based company that has staff doing same job in the UK as one in Nigeria should not be paying such ridiculous amount. That company wants to capitalize on the unemployment situation in the country as well as graduates' desperation to secure employment.

It may or may not be so as u posit....I did a part-time HSE stuff for a Uk firm for 12 months. I was already working so salary wasn't my priority, I needed to get experience in that aspect of the profession. They offered a salary of 27k Naira and I accepted it. When the appointment letter came, they actually wrote 27k monthly on it.....In the condition of service (booklet) all my benefits were stated there; a lump sum upfront payment, free medicare anywhere in the world, housing allowance, vacation allowance, education grant, productivity allowance, car allowance, gas allowance etc etc. The allowances were very good. They pay allowance at 1st week of the month and 27k salary at month end. There was a very good reason for that small salary (which I can't mention here). Sometimes, it's good to look beyond the salary, there might be some hidden treasures that are concealed from applicants. Applicants at an advanced stage of a recruitment process can put a call to the HR manager (especially foreign firms) and get some vital information to help them make informed decisions.

3 Likes

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Unionised(m): 2:16pm On Jun 09, 2019
frankyskyboi:
I already have a stable job tho but I just thought of attending interviews with the aim of either greener pastures and to experience what most job seekers pass through. I'm a pharmacist though

The First was a job vacancy advertised on nairaland by an online firm in UK, they needed an online health rep.. The interview was on WhatsApp..They drilled me with so many research questions, gave me deadlines to submit and I always wowed them by submitting before deadline.. The interview process took about a week.. The next week..They called for salary negotiation..I was so excited but my excitement was cut short when they told me they're paying according to minimum wage..i was taken aback..even though I opted for part time..30000 wasn't cool because I knew their rep in uk won't be paid same wage..i told them that I should be paid same as the person working in uk since it's almost same job description but they said they'll pay according to country's minimum wage. I told them even a part time pharmacist cant earn such amount..she said Nigerians are obsessed with money..started giving entrepreneurship gospel bla bla..I just kuku lost interest..lol

Paying you by minimum wage does not mean they are paying 30k.

They simply want to use the country scale.

Your next question should have been "what level would you place me on the scale?".

You missed an opportunity there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by AlphaT1(m): 2:19pm On Jun 09, 2019
frankyskyboi:

Salary should not always be ur reason for going for a job...you would miss the hidden treasures within some organizations that are far beyond salary...I left FMC as a Rx and went into academia as Asist. Lecturer. I left academia (when I finished masters and was expecting promotion to Lecturer II) to do HSE at a salary of 60k (less than half d salary of Ass. Lecturer). Some of my Rx colleagues thought I was insane. 6months later, I used the work experience gotten from the 60k job to get another one dat was far better (higher pay) than even a senior lecturer.

1 Like

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 09, 2019
frankyskyboi:
Thanks for all your contributions..I learnt from you all
For those saying I missed out because they said it's according to minimum wage that they'll pay..you're wrong.
She gave me a breakdown of the pay which is 1k per weekday and 1500 per Saturday..if you sum it up..its about 26k monthly..They Even said I can be a director by buying shares in the company and expect dividends.. hahahaha..I don't want to go far..I did it fun jare

About the second company..I felt bad I couldn't get the job because of suit..lol..but my grievance is that the HR is supposed to give a feedback that one is successful or not and tell him the error so one can correct it instead of keeping mute..at least I spent money to transport myself there
@unionised

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Interview Questions For Oil & Gas,engineering,telecommunication And Banking / Pwc Graduate Tax Apprenticeship Programme 2019 Thread / Npower - Just Received This Text Message From NPOWER

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.