Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. (41099 Views)

My Interview Experience At A Law Firm In Lekki / My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm / My Friend's Interview Experience With A Company In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by adelove4real200: 2:31pm On Jun 09, 2019
MaziOmenuko:
Let me share mine in a minute.

I applied for a senior managerial role for one of the top breweries in the country. A HR person called me like 3 months later after I had almost forgotten the application. She introduced herself and asked if she was speaking with Mr ABC and I said yes. She asked if it was a good time to talk and I said yes. Na my first mistake be that. Actually, it wasn't a good time to talk. I and taken some days off from work to supervise some contract work being done at my site. I was not in my best and never thought it was a phone interview. I felt she was going to schedule an interview date with me; never knew it was a phone interview.

Immediately I said yes, the questions started flying in from left, right and center. Infact, I was in a conference call with a group of HR people and a very senior manager I would be reporting to.

Needless to say that I fluffed most of the questions. Infact, I was so off my game. Couldn't string words together, kept stammering and sturtering. Even me wasn't impressed by my performance and I knew I couldn't even convince myself to hire me. I was better than that, but the call was at the wrongest time.

She did say she would get back to me, but I was sure she wasnt going to, and she hasn't.

@OP, about the dressing part, I learnt that a long time ago. Always dress smart, be on suit always. If I am going to miss out on a job, it won't be for dressing. Most times, I buy new suits for any job interview I'm scheduled for. You can never get it wrong with a suit.

Bro. Thanks for sharing your experience. I must tell you the truth. The moment you acessed yourself and juged yourself, you missed the job. You could have earned that job on a platter of gold if you remained positive. You confessed the negative and u have the negative. What we always think at times may not be right. Learn to trust God in All situation. I see better job offer coming your way. God will be gracious to you in Jesus name.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by olumide4christ: 3:10pm On Jun 09, 2019
dominique:

If you know your worth you will never settle for less. A U.K. based company that has staff doing same job in the UK as one in Nigeria should not be paying such ridiculous amount. That company wants to capitalize on the unemployment situation in the country as well as graduates' desperation to secure employment.

Don't be surprised that it could be their Nigerian representatives or partners who gave them such an idea of paying graduates N30k minimum wage.
No multinational or foreign company I know pays such ridiculously low salary to graduates. We are the enemy of ourselves in this country!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by olumide4christ: 3:20pm On Jun 09, 2019
lilwetdick:

so what business are you doing... and lets imagine you are looking for jobs as a fresh graduate, where do you want to work that will pay you 150k as a fresh graduate without experience

Bros...there are companies in Nigeria that pay even above N150k to fresh graduates, both one-man companies, multinationals, public limited companies & conglomerates ...go do your research well!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by adeeva06(f): 3:21pm On Jun 09, 2019
You confidently made no sense.

auntysimbiat:
Learn to start little.. 30k job is sumtin.. Dat won't stop you from looking out for other jobs..

Comparing wot dey pay in UK to nigeria is none of ur biz..

Even in some companies in nigeria, they pay some people high and some people low... same job role and same qualification ..
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by olumide4christ: 3:33pm On Jun 09, 2019
lilwetdick:

as they say, it takes money to make money..you can think outside the box, when you dont have money to execute, it is just an idea.

the reality is this in Nigeria, only few young graduate earn 150k in Nigeria another reality is most companies will not like to pay a graduate with no experience 150k

Again,You are so so wrong! From your comments and stances so far, it shows that you are not informed about what people earn in the corporate world. I don't know if you are a job seeker or not, but if you are, you'll be seriously short-changed by employers and recruiters if you don't change your mindset.
Get informed, Bro!

1 Like

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nathdoug201: 3:55pm On Jun 09, 2019
Praktikals:

I replied before checking the result. I wish you a better luck next time.
thanks bro
More funds to your Aza

1 Like

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 09, 2019
olumide4christ:

Again,You are so so wrong! From your comments and stances so far, it shows that you are not informed about what people earn in the corporate world. I don't know if you are a job seeker or not, but if you are, you'll be seriously short-changed by employers and recruiters if you don't change your mindset.
Get informed, Bro!

pls list the companies in nigeria that pay fresh grad 200k plus..lets see if they are much
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Wennerhood(m): 7:53pm On Jun 09, 2019
Grupo:

Think outside the box bro. Today is only 8th of the month and I have already made more than 75k. So, by the end of the month, I'm already looking at more than 300k. And I just finished NYSC in 2017.

The problem is that most graduates are too fixated on being employees or job seekers. None wants to think outside the box.

As for fresh graduates earning 150k, I tell you it is possible. Some of my friends in the corporate world started earning around that in their first jobs.

Please, can we talk or chat and this phone number 08142508191
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Wennerhood(m): 7:57pm On Jun 09, 2019
PotatoSalad:
Mehn, this is so sad.. A year after youth service and I haven't walked into any company to submit CV or face arrogant HRs. I don't even have a suit.
Thank God for life

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by PotatoSalad(m): 8:15pm On Jun 09, 2019
Wennerhood:

My WhatsApp contact in my signature. Text me
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Fremaxx: 8:30pm On Jun 09, 2019
So many companies pay graduates above 200k. The fmcg companies, oil companies, banks, government agencies, medical establishments etc.(quote author=lilwetdick post=79167146]

pls list the companies in nigeria that pay fresh grad 200k plus..lets see if they are much[/quote]
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jun 09, 2019
Fremaxx:
So many companies pay graduates above 200k. The fmcg companies, oil companies, banks, government agencies, medical establishments etc.(quote author=lilwetdick post=79167146]

pls list the companies in nigeria that pay fresh grad 200k plus..lets see if they are much

you must be joking, pls except some oil companies, which bank, fmcg, government agencies and medical establishment pay fresh graduate above 200K.. even CBN do not pay new grad 200k.

for the oil companies and some companies that pay well, only few graduates get employed, so we are still left with many employed graduates getting 40- 70k per month.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Milllz: 1:07am On Jun 10, 2019
frankyskyboi:
I already have a stable job tho but I just thought of attending interviews with the aim of either greener pastures and to experience what most job seekers pass through. I'm a pharmacist though

The First was a job vacancy advertised on nairaland by an online firm in UK, they needed an online health rep.. The interview was on WhatsApp..They drilled me with so many research questions, gave me deadlines to submit and I always wowed them by submitting before deadline.. l

Hey Bro. I want to know more about the first job. Can I pm you?
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by dopestkidda(m): 3:10am On Jun 10, 2019
Are You Looking for a Professional Resume Design or CV Design Service?

You’re in the right place!

Did you know the average recruiter spends just 6 seconds looking at each resume?

By working with an expert you can make sure yours stands out - instead of ending up in the trash!

What the Packages Cover

I will Create unique, custom resume design or CV design . (I use modern, minimal styles to ensure the key facts ‘pop out’ to busy recruiters!)

*All resumes/cover letters will be delivered in editable Word and PDF file formats*

For a unique, custom resume design or CV design at affordable prices call or whatsapp me on +2348164287840

Order Today!

Getting your dream job is a big deal – so don’t leave this to chance... Order my professional resume design and writing service today!

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Fremaxx: 7:30am On Jun 10, 2019
Even a bsc graduate in the police force earns above 200k. This 40- 70k you are talking about is for the bsc holders who have accepted lower role or position in a company like office assistant, admin officer, security,customer service representative, sales representative etc. Especially all those roles with big names but no correct career path. We, Nigerians,have been forced to accept any job role so far it fetches small change.
An average bsc salary in Nigeria is 100k meaning that so many are collecting 200,300,400k and 600k while others are collecting 30, 40, 70k.
lilwetdick:

you must be joking, pls except some oil companies, which bank, fmcg, government agencies and medical establishment pay fresh graduate above 200K.. even CBN do not pay new grad 200k.

for the oil companies and some companies that pay well, only few graduates get employed, so we are still left with many employed graduates getting 40- 70k per month.

1 Like

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Blessing97(m): 3:52pm On Jun 10, 2019
Grupo:

Think outside the box bro. Today is only 8th of the month and I have already made more than 75k. So, by the end of the month, I'm already looking at more than 300k. And I just finished NYSC in 2017.

The problem is that most graduates are too fixated on being employees or job seekers. None wants to think outside the box.

As for fresh graduates earning 150k, I tell you it is possible. Some of my friends in the corporate world started earning around that in their first jobs.
Bro please show me the way. Let me learn at your feet and gain from your tutelage. I am a fresh graduate and want to think outside the box like you and reap the rich dividends too. So please. cry
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Blessing97(m): 5:36pm On Jun 10, 2019
lilwetdick:

With all due respect, your continuous display of utter ignorance in this subject matter is highly disturbing. The number of companies in Nigeria(Multinationals and Indegenous) who pay fresh graduates entry level salaries greater than 200k is more than just a sizeable chunk.

Do yourself a huge favour by doing some basic research on the entry level salaries of most institutions in the banking sector(Access bank alone pays 237k), and even the oil and gas sector. And it is noteworthy to mention the fact that most of these entry level positions can be applied for by fresh graduates done with their mandatory youth service, having zero to at most two or three years relevant experience in that very field. Even some indegenous oil servicing companies in Nigeria pay their entry level staff 200k or more, not to talk of multinationals like Schlumberger and the likes.

Please and please, don't let our declining Nigerian economy, coupled with the increasingly alarming rate of unemployment, fool you into settling for something way below par. Earning 100k as a fresh graduate is not bad at all, but it should not stem from one's inability to aim higher, thus settling for whatever meagre opportunity that comes his or her way.

If the opportunity presents itself, grab with both hands. And if not, stay patient and persevere. With God on your side, and in His own due time, your own time will come. Trust the process!

1 Like

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by jackals(f): 8:32pm On Jun 10, 2019
bilulu:

the pain of most Nigerians who re underemployed is no time to go for other interviews, and the fear of the unknown.... wat will u b doing Wen u resign? imagine no other job for months or years.... Nigeria na scam

This is my current situation. In fact I'm tired
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 3:29am On Jun 11, 2019
Blessing97:

With all due respect, your continuous display of utter ignorance in this subject matter is highly disturbing. The number of companies in Nigeria(Multinationals and Indegenous) who pay fresh graduates entry level salaries greater than 200k is more than just a sizeable chunk.

Do yourself a huge favour by doing some basic research on the entry level salaries of most institutions in the banking sector(Access bank alone pays 237k), and even the oil and gas sector. And it is noteworthy to mention the fact that most of these entry level positions can be applied for by fresh graduates done with their mandatory youth service, having zero to at most two or three years relevant experience in that very field. Even some indegenous oil servicing companies in Nigeria pay their entry level staff 200k or more, not to talk of multinationals like Schlumberger and the likes.

Please and please, don't let our declining Nigerian economy, coupled with the increasingly alarming rate of unemployment, fool you into settling for something way below par. Earning 100k as a fresh graduate is not bad at all, but it should not stem from one's inability to aim higher, thus settling for whatever meagre opportunity that comes his or her way.

If the opportunity presents itself, grab with both hands. And if not, stay patient and persevere. With God on your side, and in His own due time, your own time will come. Trust the process!

with all these garbage you typed, why arent you applying there and getting the above 200k as a fresh graduate.

also just because some few company pay 200k to graduate doesnt mean they do mass employment..most of these companies that pay fresh grad very good salaries, take 1-5 candidate out of maybe 1000 that apply, the rest will have to look for 50-70k jobs or they will be unemployed forever.

you better wake up to reality and stop living in fantasy
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 3:36am On Jun 11, 2019
Fremaxx:
Even a bsc graduate in the police force earns above 200k. This 40- 70k you are talking about is for the bsc holders who have accepted lower role or position in a company like office assistant, admin officer, security,customer service representative, sales representative etc. Especially all those roles with big names but no correct career path. We, Nigerians,have been forced to accept any job role so far it fetches small change.
An average bsc salary in Nigeria is 100k meaning that so many are collecting 200,300,400k and 600k while others are collecting 30, 40, 70k.

what are you writing down..

police pay above 200k to bsc holder with a higher rank of almost assistant commissioner of police not a fresh graduate, get your facts right.

it seems you havent work before, you are still living in the world of i want to work in NNPC and oil companies after graduation, I still stand with my word, only few fresh graduate in Nigeria earn 150k and above, the rest employed fresh graduate are earning from 40-90k even people's parent are earing 80k per month doing correct job.cotinue living in your fantasy world.

2 Likes

Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 11, 2019
The company is not obligated to pay according to U.K. wage BUT should offer what is inline with OPs experience level for Nigeria.

This continued unhealthy sense of entitlement is counterproductive IMHO.

The Nigerian employee when paid adequately might even take more home than the U.K. counterpart.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 11, 2019
frankyskyboi:
Thanks for all your contributions..I learnt from you all
For those saying I missed out because they said it's according to minimum wage that they'll pay..you're wrong.
She gave me a breakdown of the pay which is 1k per weekday and 1500 per Saturday..if you sum it up..its about 26k monthly..They Even said I can be a director by buying shares in the company and expect dividends.. hahahaha..I don't want to go far..I did it fun jare

About the second company..I felt bad I couldn't get the job because of suit..lol..but my grievance is that the HR is supposed to give a feedback that one is successful or not and tell him the error so one can correct it instead of keeping mute..at least I spent money to transport myself there
@UnitedAlliance
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 11, 2019
frankyskyboi:
Thanks for all your contributions..I learnt from you all
For those saying I missed out because they said it's according to minimum wage that they'll pay..you're wrong.
She gave me a breakdown of the pay which is 1k per weekday and 1500 per Saturday..if you sum it up..its about 26k monthly..They Even said I can be a director by buying shares in the company and expect dividends.. hahahaha..I don't want to go far..I did it fun jare

About the second company..I felt bad I couldn't get the job because of suit..lol..but my grievance is that the HR is supposed to give a feedback that one is successful or not and tell him the error so one can correct it instead of keeping mute..at least I spent money to transport myself there

It’s not my job as a hiring manager to coach or give feedback to candidates.

I’m looking for serious professionals that are looking for real work not practicing interviews.

Again, sense of entitlement to feedback and recognition for transportation money.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 11, 2019
UnitedAlliance:

I’m looking for serious professionals that are looking for real work not practicing interviews.

Again, sense of entitlement to feedback and recognition for transportation money.
I guess i have answered your first question based on the first interview hence you didnt talk about it cheesy

most HRs give feedbacks and thats a standard...take it or leave it cool
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jun 11, 2019
frankyskyboi:
I guess i have answered your first question based on the first interview hence you didnt talk about it cheesy

most HRs give feedbacks and thats a standard...take it or leave it cool

I don’t take mediocrity cool
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Blessing97(m): 4:11pm On Jun 11, 2019
lilwetdick:

with all these garbage you typed, why arent you applying there and getting the above 200k as a fresh graduate.

also just because some few company pay 200k to graduate doesnt mean they do mass employment..most of these companies that pay fresh grad very good salaries, take 1-5 candidate out of maybe 1000 that apply, the rest will have to look for 50-70k jobs or they will be unemployed forever.

you better wake up to reality and stop living in fantasy
I really did punch myself in the face by even talking to you in the first place. Your moniker itself speaks volumes about the kind of engine you have running upstairs. With that being said, I drop my pen. Have a nice day!
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Fremaxx: 11:05pm On Jun 11, 2019
That lilwetdick is very stubborn. You don't need to abuse someone before you make a point. GTB, Access bank, Nigerian brewery, nnpc, standard chartered bank, GTbank, union bank, stanbic ibtc, CBN, kpmg, P&G, Halliburton, ExxonMobil, shell, chevron, agip, saipem, Schneider electric, McKinsey, etc pay above 200k. So many more.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by laudate: 12:34am On Jun 12, 2019
auntysimbiat:
Learn to start little.. 30k job is sumtin.. Dat won't stop you from looking out for other jobs..

Comparing wot dey pay in UK to nigeria is none of ur biz..

Even in some companies in nigeria, they pay some people high and some people low... same job role and same qualification ..
30k is slavery. It will not cover his transport, feeding or medical care (if he falls ill) during the month, in a city like Lagos or Abuja or Port-harcourt. angry He/she is a graduate, not a secondary school drop out. Pls we need to stop asking people to swallow the kind of rubbbish that will make them puke.

If they knew they were only going to offer 30k per month, why did they drill him with all those research questions and tough tests? shocked

Why subject him to such an elaborate screening procedure, only to offer him peanuts?
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by laudate: 12:40am On Jun 12, 2019
philip0906:

Because that’s what pays the bills. In the western world where they are “not so obsessed” with money, they have lots of support-government et al.

In Nigeria, you’re on your own and you have bills to pay.
Well said. Thank you for hitting the nail on the head. cool
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by laudate: 1:03am On Jun 12, 2019
UnitedAlliance:

The part in bold refers. It is your job to give feedback. A lot of foreign companies do it, both at home and abroad. It is only Nigerian-owned companies that fail to do so. It is a bad habit.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 4:30am On Jun 12, 2019
laudate:

The part in bold refers. It is your job to give feedback. A lot of foreign companies do it, both at home and abroad. It is only Nigerian-owned companies that fail to do so. It is a bad habit.

It’s not part of my training in over 30 years in fortune 100 companies in the USA to spoonfeed failed applicants. I worked in entertainment, healthcare, technology industries.

Not sure where you’re all getting this lame idea.

My job is to focus on selecting the right candidate, board him/her and grow my team.

This sense of entitlement is repugnant.
Re: My Sad Interview Experience This Week.. by Nobody: 4:33am On Jun 12, 2019
laudate:

30k is slavery. It will not cover his transport, feeding or medical care (if he falls ill) during the month, in a city like Lagos or Abuja or Port-harcourt. angry He/she is a graduate, not a secondary school drop out. Pls we need to stop asking people to swallow the kind of rubbbish that will make them puke.

If they knew they were only going to offer 30k per month, why did they drill him with all those research questions and tough tests? shocked

Why subject him to such an elaborate screening procedure, only to offer him peanuts?

I’ve never applied for a job that I didn’t know what the salary RANGE was.

Op could have researched what the pay was.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Interview Questions For Oil & Gas,engineering,telecommunication And Banking / Pwc Graduate Tax Apprenticeship Programme 2019 Thread / Npower - Just Received This Text Message From NPOWER

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.