Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,930 members, 7,828,239 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. (10877 Views)

APC Not Responsible For Current Economic Hardship – Akpabio / Chima Okoro, Twitter User Who Predicted Abuja Attacks Deletes Account / "No, Mend is Not Terrorist a Group " - EU. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ehoi: 11:39pm On Oct 02, 2010
9ijaMan:

@ Ehoi,
The contradictions I meant to correct are in bold above. Donwload the figues for states and there respective LGs. Add the total figures together and come up with a single figure for every state of the federation. Tell us what you find. Are the ND states still being[b] short changed[/b]? Are the ND states getting more than other states?

You sure did make some correct statement, but I said you cannot defend all that you've stated.

As someone stated earlier, despite all these huge allocations going into the ND states, Shell, Chevron, ExxonMobil, Total, Agip etc will not go to some remote village in Kwara, Oyo, Zafara or Kebbi states to provide them with food roads and infrastructures.

If the truth be told, the ND leaders are the worst enemies of the region!
9ijaMan
I still stand by my assertions. I noted that in some areas the niger delta states are short changed. Lets take for example Kano state and bayelsa state according to the figures in the link you provided. After adding the 13% derivation, Bayelsa states get about N4.7 billion monthly while kano state gets about N2.9 billion. When we move to the money paid to the LGA in the states, we see that Kano state have 44 LGA while Bayelsa have only 8. That means Kano state is getting about five times more paid to their LGA than Bayelsa state LGA. So in actual fact Kano state may be getting more gross income than Bayelsa state. Then when you consider the fact that it cost about five times more to construct a road in Bayelsa's swampy terrain than in Kano,  you may start to understand what am saying. In terms of actual development capability, kano state is getting more income than Bayelsa.

You link prove my point.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by marvix(m): 11:55pm On Oct 02, 2010
What happened yesterday was a terrorist act and MEND was just used as a straw; MEND is not a terrorist group," the President said.

The bolded part is the emphasis of Mr Presidents statement.

The act was a terrorist act and MEND was used as a straw, it shows that some investigations have been done.

Nothing amazes me more than the way people sit by their pcs and believe they know more than a man who receives all the information.

Mr president is not naive and his statement did not warrant any such comment.

We must also realise that investigations are ongoing so he himself must not say more than necessary and sometimes talk in a way so that those they are looking for would think that no one can trace them

Lets keep to the topic if we want to analyse how the ND states have spent their money we can start anoda thread for that purpose
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 03, 2010
^^^^^^

so much for the words of mr president

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5626101-146/mend_apologises_for_abuja_deaths_.csp

MEND apologises for causing Abuja deaths

By Ayo Okulaja

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) has apologised for causing the death of many people in the explosions which rocked the Federal capital yesterday.

In an email sent to journalists a moment ago, Jomo Gbomo, the spokesperson of the group, said the group "deeply regrets the avoidable loss of lives during our bomb attack in Abuja on Friday October 1, 2010. Our hearts go to the families of those killed who we know were sympathetic to our cause".

The group said the failure of security forces to heed a warning it had given five days before the attack is responsible for the deaths

"The irresponsible attitude of the government security forces is to blame for the loss of lives. They were given 5 days prior notice which led to the harassment of Henry Okah on Thursday, September 30 in South Africa."

It also claimed that an hour before the attack, security forces were reminded of the impending violence but failed to act. It said the email received by journalists a few minutes before the explosions was sent only after the one to security agents.

"The security forces were also warned one full hour to the first bomb blast ahead of the general alert sent to the media and told to steer the public from all parked cars which was not done."

The group's claim of responsibility for the attacks is coming hours after President Goodluck Jonathan said they were not responsible and blamed the explosions on terrorists.

Mr. Jonathan told an ECOWAS gathering in Abuja today that ``What happened yesterday was a terrorist act and MEND was just used as a straw; MEND is not a terrorist group".

"The Niger Delta people are aware of the government's noble efforts to assuage the suffering and deprivation in that region," the President said.

"I am from the Niger Delta, my father's house is few metres from an oil-well, so nobody can claim to be a Niger Deltan than myself.

"It is erroneous to think that my people who have been agitating for good living will deliberately blow up the opportunity they have now".

In a related development, Henry Okah, an alleged leader of the militant group, was arrested by South African police today and is being questioned.

On Thursday, Interpol forces raided Mr Okah's home in South Africa but no action was taken against him. It is not clear yet if he will be charged following his latest arrest.

However, the group has exonerated him of involvement in Friday's bombings that killed at least 12 people and injured tens of others. "Okah has never been involved in any MEND operations but has always been blamed for every attack which is strange to us," the group said.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Kobojunkie: 1:47am On Oct 03, 2010
Ehoi:

I never went into details and never intended to, but thanks for trying to break it down. Unfortunately you didn't do full justice to it.
13% is taken aside for the niger delta states. Then federal government takes about 50% of the remaining 87%. Th other fifty percent is shared among the states (niger delta including) and local government. But remember, all the states don't get the same allocation. The system is made to be less favourable to the niger delta states. Then there is the issue to allocations to the local government areas. Most LGA get about the same but the trick is, some states have about twice the number of LGA than other states. Here again the niger delta states are mostly short changed. When you put these into perspective you will realise that the niger delta states are not really getting as much as we think.

Excuse me, Niger Delta States get the most in allocations compared to other states . . FACT.
When one considers population of states, Niger Deltan States still get the most in Allocations overall and per capita. So, I don't understand where your claim that "THE SYSTEM" favours Niger Deltans less comes from.
Whether it be allocations at State Level or at LGA Level, the ND Areas beat most of the country hands down. So, again, I do not understand how you can examine the federal allocation stats and still make such claims as the one you have above.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ibime(m): 2:20am On Oct 03, 2010
This bombing done do Nairaland like MI - Talk about it.

As for some punks claiming ND gets more allocation than most, I refer you to Eldee - Is it your money?

As for those saying that State Governors should be held responsible for underdevelopment, granted the point holds merit. The question is who is responsible for holding State Government accountable? Finally, if these punks of lilliputian cranial capacity can point me to any meaningful project the Federal Govt has executed with their 50% allocation, I would withdraw my assertion that State leaders are Angels compared to Federal leaders.

Finally, Mr President should make haste to arrest these alleged political opponents who sponsored the blast or be accused of seeking to make political gain out of a National catastrophe. I also expect that any right thinking citizen express anger at security forces for neglecting a 5 day warning. As is the case in most developed nations, citizens hold their security forces accountable to any such disaster rather than venting at bombers who have already sworn enmity to the nation.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Kobojunkie: 2:31am On Oct 03, 2010
Ibime:

As for those saying that State Governors should be held responsible for underdevelopment, granted the point holds merit. The question is who is responsible for holding State Government accountable?

WOW  . . . . what a question . . . now let's throw it out to the public. . . .

is it

A) Government?

B) The people (in the democracy)?

C) My pet poodle?

D) A Militant group

E) The Pentagon

tick  . . . tock . . .  tick  . . . tock . . .
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ibime(m): 2:43am On Oct 03, 2010
I would remind the cretin above that corrupt state leaders are to be tried by FEDERAL courts, prosecuted by FEDERAL agencies (EFCC, ICPC) and arrested by FEDERAL police. Any continuation of such inane arguments is illogical in light of the above statement.

This is the reason we called on Federal Government to intervene in the Ogun bond fiasco, not on Ogun State judiciary which has no jurisdiction or apparatus for dealing with such. Hence Gbenga Daniels continues to miscafon thanks to Federal Governments wishy washy approach to corruption and accountability.

Any further argument about this will make mockery of logic.

I am also waiting for anyone to counter my assertion that State Govt is responsible for 80% of our development, despite Federal Government receiving 50% of all our accruals from oil exports.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Kobojunkie: 3:09am On Oct 03, 2010
[size=14pt]ROFLMAO!![/size]

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin

Nigerians never fail !!! When asked about responsibilty,almost immediately you get a mouth load of insults for asking the right question and a lecture of how it is everyone else's fault but theirs . . . ROFLMAO!

Happy Birthday!!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Nobody: 3:33am On Oct 03, 2010

"With due respect to all invited guests, dignitaries and attendees of the 50th independence anniversary of Nigeria being held today, Friday, October 1, 2010 at the Eagle Square Abuja, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) is asking everyone to begin immediate evacuation of the entire area within the next 30 minutes. This warning expires after 10.30Hrs," MEND spokesperson Jomo Gbomo said in the mail.

Oh my!!!!

They say, once you've taste it, you never go back.

I hope this doesnt become the usual methods of attack in Naija
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by ayinba1(f): 3:43am On Oct 03, 2010
GEJ- JEGA has shown again and again that he is not presidential material. We can as well accept that he is a member of MEND. For those throwing out conspiracy theories, could he have orchestrated this attack to gain political sympathy? More people actually sympatised with him until this most recent statement accredited to him.

Again, I disagree, his political opponents are not interested in killing him; they would have finished him a long time ago. Was Bola Ige running for an office? What about Idiagbon? No be Nigeria??

He should just STef Up! He can go ahead, vacate the Aso Villa, and join his fellow kidnappers in the creeks (i quote an earlier poster). Of course, being a Professor ( especally in Nigeria) is not a guarantee of wisdom.

An hour after his speech, MEND issues an apology. I think this Ijawman's liquor is being laced with a little sumfin!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Ibime(m): 3:44am On Oct 03, 2010
One would not expect anything else but ROFLMAO from those whose vaccuous craniums cannot produce a rebuttal in the face of irrefutable logic.

Some punks who have been in America too long suppose that the vote guarantees that the will of the masses is heard. Sometime ago, this cobwebbed relic claimed to have campaigned for Shagari, only to see her vote usurped by militaristic elements just 2 years later. One would have thought that this cretin would go and blow herself up at the Presidential Palace to ensure that the sanctity of her vote is respected in keeping with her stance that the power of citizenry is sacrosanct. I am now expecting a lecture from this cretin on how Nigerians need to seize back power for themselves through the ballot box instead of making excuses. Unfortunately such utopia does not exist in Nigeria, so my only answer to this nincompoop is that Federal Government is responsible for prosecuting and deposing all corrupt State Govts.

In the event that anyone thinks differently, they should name a leader amongst them who is not a thief and what they did to prevent looters in their respective states. We will not put the cart before the horse. We demand our fair share, and let Nigeria sort out its attitude to corruption rather than giving a dog a bad name with which to hang it.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by ayinba1(f): 3:45am On Oct 03, 2010
And for those claiming that MEND probably did not do this, Is this the first or second time that they will bomb some place causing the death of civilians??
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Akanbiedu(m): 7:15am On Oct 03, 2010
This president is dumber than I thought. He is a threat to national security. Does he think He is ND president? Yar'adua finished Boko haram, its time to finish MEND mr. president. Don't take us back to 1966.

How did he get his PhD sef?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by tkb417(m): 7:49am On Oct 03, 2010
Stupid commetaries

Is the President not supposed to be the head of security in the country. So if they sent emails 5 days to the blast and we did nothing, what happens when a soverign state (neighbouring country) threatens to blow up Nigeria?

If the Commander in thief of the armed forces now wanna endear himself to a bunch of criminals by calling them my people, then wahala dey.

This is d only country where acts of terror elicit compliments from the sitting president.

God, let thy will be done in Nigeria!! Amen
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Abagworo(m): 8:03am On Oct 03, 2010
Why is GEJ not talking about true federalism and de-centralizing power from the centre?I just pray he doesn't end up like Ironsi.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by yeswecan(m): 8:16am On Oct 03, 2010
Ehoi:
 The system is made to be less favourable to the niger delta states.

You have deceived your own mind. Apart from the fact that ND states bag the highest Federal allocation regardless of population, a commission was formed for the sole aim of Niger Delta development (NDDC) - now we have the Niger Delta Ministry which was created to tackle the challenges of infrastructural development, environment protection and youth empowerment in the Niger Delta.

The federal government cannot make ND zone a federal issue - they can only create channels controlled by Niger Deltans  and empower such and existing channels of development. This has been done- Mend should confront there local and state politicians before leaping to the federal level.

MEND are criminals and should be treated as such - they institutionalized kidnapping in Nigeria now its bombing.

Goodluck Jonathan is out of his mind, he should tell who is responsible for the attack since he says Mend is not.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by labiyemmy(m): 11:00am On Oct 03, 2010
Why are you hell bent on blaming everything on Jonathan? He has more information than you do - just because someone sends an un seen email to pressmen using the name of MEND, you - in your own daftness believes the email, much more than your head of state who has access to more information than you do? Come on - think, use your head and dont think like okija juju associates who believes anything they read in the papers.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Goddex: 11:48am On Oct 03, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Why are you hell bent on blaming everything on Jonathan? He has more information than you do - just because someone sends an un seen email to pressmen using the name of MEND, you - in your own daftness believes the email, much more than your head of state who has access to more information than you do? Come on - think, use your head and dont think like okija juju associates who believes anything they read in the papers.

Really sometimes nairalanders amaze me. They jumped at seeking the head of their president who has got much more information at his disposal.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by 9ijaMan: 2:05pm On Oct 03, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Goddex:

Really sometimes nairalanders amaze me. They jumped at seeking the head of their president who has got much more information at his disposal.

Actually you both are the ones who amaze the rest of us all on NL. GEJ is on record to be the first president in the world who has decided to embrace terrorists as his brothers and his people against the well being and security of the rest of Nigerians at large. The fact remains that, the Abuja bombings were not the first attempts of MEND. If MEND claims responsibility, and the same MEND has apologized to 9jans for their dastardly acts, it is highly disappointing for the numero Uno (Number One) citizen of the country to rush to their defense. If MEND were not the culprits, why was Henry Okah arrested in SA?

Let's assume that GEJ has more information as you both mentioned, why has he not picked the so called "person" behind the wicked attacks? GEJ is lamely attempting to subvert the course of justice because it involves "his people". Our C&C is more of an ND president than Nigerian president and his pronouncement yesterday is nothing shot of treason as he prefers to protect his ND brothers than the whole of Nigeria thus opposing the Nigerian constitution which he swore to uphold.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by yeswecan(m): 2:17pm On Oct 03, 2010
Goddex:

Nigerians deserve to know what happened on Friday - if Jonathan says Mend are not responsible then he should as well tell who is behind it. It is not enough to say Mend is innocent of the attack when they already put out a statement claiming responsibility - Jonathan's position is not acceptable to any right-thinking person.

The Mend issue is a sensitive one - more so for Goodluck Jonathan so he could use some professional help next time- he should know what to say and when to to say it.  He cannot be seen as a sympathizer of Mend - some of us still think Mend is nothing but a criminal and terrorist organization that should be treated as such.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Beaf: 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2010
9ijaMan:

Actually you both are the ones who amaze the rest of us all on NL. GEJ is on record to be the first president in the world who has decided to embrace terrorists as his brothers and his people against the well being and security of the rest of Nigerians at large. The fact remains that, the Abuja bombings were not the first attempts of MEND. If MEND claims responsibility, and the same MEND has apologized to 9jans for their dastardly acts, it is highly disappointing for the numero Uno (Number One) citizen of the country to rush to their defense. If MEND were not the culprits, why was Henry Okah arrested in SA?

Let's assume that GEJ has more information as you both mentioned, why has he not picked the so called "person" behind the wicked attacks? GEJ is lamely attempting to subvert the course of justice because it involves "his people". Our C&C is more of an ND president than Nigerian president and his pronouncement yesterday is nothing shot of treason as he prefers to protect his ND brothers than the whole of Nigeria thus opposing the Nigerian constitution which he swore to uphold.

One thing is clear; no NLer knows more than the President about this issue, so lets cut the beer palour talk. If Jonathan has said it wasn't MEND, then you can be 99.99% sure he is correct. The man has info fromm both internal intelligence and foreign govt agencies. I'll add, of course, that you have zero.

As to why Henry Okah was arrested (and how, in your opinion, that ties MEND in); it is unfortunate and quite telling, that that beer palour analysis, the evidence is all around us. Every news agency has reported Okah as the FORMER LEADER of MEND. The thing intelligent minds would do at this time, is wait for the full info to come out and find out who Okah's new master is.

The rest of your post is low, tribalistic crap. Shame.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Gayigaskia(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2010
So GEJ says he knows the suspects of this blast not MEND. If that is the case what is taking the justice department too long  to start the job of arresting the suspects and arraign them. He is making these claims while the suspect is watching and is being given enough time to complete the job ( overturned the president ) or flee the country.  As a President i don't think Jonathan should have made any claim as such before making arrests that is very immature and dumb announcement.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Beaf: 2:55pm On Oct 03, 2010
yeswecan:

Nigerians deserve to know what happened on Friday - if Jonathan says Mend are not responsible then he should as well tell who is behind it. It is not enough to say Mend is innocent of the attack when they already put out a statement claiming responsibility - Jonathan's position is not acceptable to any right-thinking person.

The Mend issue is a sensitive one - more so for Goodluck Jonathan so he could use some professional help next time- he should know what to say and when to to say it.  He cannot be seen as a sympathizer of Mend - some of us still think Mend is nothing but a criminal and terrorist organization that should be treated as such.

"Deserve to know?!"
Dude, walk up to the SSS headquarters and tell the that you "deserve to know."
Babies too "deserve to know" what brought them into this World. I wonder why they don't get the full info until they are adults? Before then its stuff like, "daddy rubs mummies tummy," (which GEJ has given you) or the good ol' unrecommended "shut up!"
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by texazzpete(m): 3:00pm On Oct 03, 2010
Beaf:

One thing is clear; no NLer knows more than the President about this issue, so lets cut the beer palour talk. If Jonathan has said it wasn't MEND, then you can be 99.99% sure he is correct. The man has info fromm both internal intelligence and foreign govt agencies. I'll add, of course, that you have zero.

As to why Henry Okah was arrested (and how, in your opinion, that ties MEND in); it is unfortunate and quite telling, that that beer palour analysis, the evidence is all around us. Every news agency has reported Okah as the FORMER LEADER of MEND. The thing intelligent minds would do at this time, is wait for the full info to come out and find out who Okah's new master is.

The rest of your post is low, tribalistic crap. Shame.

Truth be told, Jonathan is just being foolish by trying to shield MEND.

Since the whole history of the 'struggle', MEND's Jomo Gbomo has used just ONE email address to send all this missives to the press. He copies Times of Nigeria, Reuters, CNN, BBC and a few other news agencies. The emails used to send the bomb threat and the recently released bomb 'apology' all came from the official MEND email address. I have personally confirmed this from an highly informed source.

MEND did the bombing, pure and simple. Killing innocent civilians is not new to them. At Atlas Cove (an attack many of you hailed by the way), MEND gunned down several innocent workers in their indiscriminate assault. So why this haste to exonerate them?

More than anything, i wanted Jonathan to be President, and i still do to some extent (a better choice than IBB). but there is no frigging need to put my brain on holiday just because i want to believe in him. Coming out to defend MEND is a rather SILLY move on Jonathan's part. In the coming years, Nigeria will be severely tested by Boko Haram and their fundamentalist ilk. A president that goes soft on his people will raise serious dust if and when he gets tough on Boko Haram and religious fundamentalists in the north.

Abeg, for once let's start thinking about what is best for Nigeria. That is all.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Beaf: 3:02pm On Oct 03, 2010
Gayigaskia:

So GEJ says he knows the suspects of this blast not MEND. If that is the case what is taking the justice department too long  to start the job of arresting the suspects and arraign them. He is making these claims while the suspect is watching and is being given enough time to complete the job ( overturned the president ) or flee the country.  As a President i don't think Jonathan should have made any claim as such before making arrests that is very immature and dumb announcement.

Have you heard that Henry Okah, the FORMER LEADER of MEND has been arrested after having his home searched by Interpol, prior to the celeberations?
Perhaps passports have been quietly siezed or the suspects had already ensconced themselves abroad long before Friday (knowing they might be wanted). Lets stop speculating until info on all events attached to the bombing has been released.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Beaf: 3:07pm On Oct 03, 2010
texazzpete:

Truth be told, Jonathan is just being foolish by trying to shield MEND.

Since the whole history of the 'struggle', MEND's Jomo Gbomo has used just ONE email address to send all this missives to the press. He copies Times of Nigeria, Reuters, CNN, BBC and a few other news agencies. The emails used to send the bomb threat and the recently released bomb 'apology' all came from the official MEND email address. I have personally confirmed this from an highly informed source.

MEND did the bombing, pure and simple. Killing innocent civilians is not new to them. At Atlas Cove (an attack many of you hailed by the way), MEND gunned down several innocent workers in their indiscriminate assault. So why this haste to exonerate them?

More than anything, i wanted Jonathan to be President, and i still do to some extent (a better choice than IBB). but there is no frigging need to put my brain on holiday just because i want to believe in him. Coming out to defend MEND is a rather SILLY move on Jonathan's part. In the coming years, Nigeria will be severely tested by Boko Haram and their fundamentalist ilk. A president that goes soft on his people will raise serious dust if and when he gets tough on Boko Haram and religious fundamentalists in the north.

Abeg, for once let's start thinking about what is best for Nigeria. That is all.

What if Henry Okah alone, has access to that email address? What if Henry Okah is Jomo Gbomo and is no longer affiliated to MEND? Afterall, all reports refer to him as the former leader of MEND.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Beaf: 3:12pm On Oct 03, 2010
[size=14pt]Ex-MEND “Generals” Disown Abuja Blast[/size]
Posted By admin On 02 Oct 2010.

Two ex-militants leaders who are members of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta(MEND), Chief Government Ekpemupolo (aka Tompolo) and “General” Ezekiel Akpesibewei of the Egbema based Deadly Underdogs have condemned the Abuja bomb blast which occurred during the celebration of Nigeria’s Independence
In a telephone interview, General Ezekiel expressed disappointment at the bombing saying it was uncalled for as all the militants have accepted the federal government amnesty programme.

An obviously unhappy Tompolo described the attack as barbaric, adding that it has nothing to do with the Niger Delta struggle.

The former MEND ‘General Officer Commanding’ (GOC), who spoke through his media aide, Comrade Paul Bebenimibo, said it was unfortunate that those responsible chose a day as significant as October 1 to carry out the attack.

He particularly lamented that the masterminds of the ‘dastardly attack’ did not consider the presence of world leaders on the scene of the celebration, adding that the incident was against the spirit of the Niger Delta struggle.
Hear him: “I want to condemn this in the strongest word possible; it is unfortunate and very barbaric and it is not part of the Niger Delta struggle. I call on security operatives to work assiduously to ensure that all the cuprits are arrested and made to face the full wrath of the law.”

He noted that arresting and prosecuting the perpetrators would serve as a deterrent to others who may think of embarrassing the nation. He charged President Goodluck Jonathan to remain focused in spite of the unfortunate incident, adding that he must not allow himself to be distracted from the duty of taking the nation to a higher height.

In a similar statement, the Leader of the National Ijaw Observers Group, Mr. Austine Ozobo expressed disappointment at the bombing saying he did not believe that it was done by Niger Delta militants and suspected that it could be the handiwork of those opposed to Jonathan contesting 2011.

In his comment, the President, Niger Delta Youth Council, Mr. Godwin Ovuomaraini while condemning the Abuja blast in its entirety said the act was very ludicrous, barbaric and a rear show of insanity.”It is unpatriotic, regrettable and uncalled for especially at a time like this when Nigerians are supposed to be appreciation God for his mercies. We pray God should give the families the fortitude to bear the lost and wish those injured quick recovery and urged President Jonathan to ensure that the perpetrators were brought to book

http://nigerdeltastandard.com/?p=2680#more-2680
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Nsiman(m): 3:19pm On Oct 03, 2010
The president is frm the niger delta and being that he is close to the leadership of mend through the amnesty programm knws the inside of mend but mend members can be manipulated by selfish and desperate politicians to achieve their aim. Can u recall the taxi driver that rammed into gej's convoy, can't this bomb blast be related to that?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Nsiman(m): 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2010
The president is frm the niger delta and being that he is close to the leadership of mend through the amnesty programm knws the inside of mend but mend members can be manipulated by selfish and desperate politicians to achieve their aim. Can u recall the taxi driver that rammed into gej's convoy, can't this bomb blast be related to that?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Beaf: 3:21pm On Oct 03, 2010
I am not implicating anybody, but militants have successfully met with campaign teams of some presidential candidates. Questions need be asked.

[size=14pt]2011: Militants hold secret meetings with IBB, Buhari[/size]
•Ex-military president given conditions
By Tribune 05/09/2010 17:00:00
Written by Idowu Samuel and Emmanuel Adeniyi Monday, 06 September 2010

THERE are indications that President Goodluck Jonathan is yet to strike a deal with leaders of key militant groups in the Niger Delta to strengthen his chances of winning the South-South zone if he decides to run in the 2011 presidential election.
Indications to this effect emerged in the light of efforts by leaders of the militants, who had given up on the government amnesty initiative  to engage presidential aspirants from the North in exploratory talks on how to fit into their presidential programmes.

Two leaders of militant groups which surrendered arms in the wake of the Federal Government’s amnesty had arrived in Abuja last week to hold talks with northern presidential aspirants, including General Ibrahim Babangida and General Muhammadu Buhari.

Nigerian Tribune learnt through aides of the aspirants that the militants complained that they were not being consulted by President Jonathan.

The militant heads were said to have canvassed a view that their full participation in the ongoing political process would enhance their resolve to finally discard the toga of militancy, just as they reportedly expressed dismay that their efforts to dissolve into the campaign programme of President Jonathan were not being appreciated.

It is not certain which specific roles the militants desired to play in the presidential campaigns of the aspirants, whom they reportedly met. However, it was disclosed that tentative agreements were reached by the campaign team of General Buhari that they should make a bold appearance during his inaugural campaign summit scheduled to take place in Abuja any moment from now.

Checks within the IBB campaign organisation revealed that none of the militant leaders was able to meet the Minna general in person, but reportedly met his aides in Abuja and told them about their desire to feature in his campaign programmes.

When the militants met with the representatives of the ex-president recently, Nigerian Tribune gathered that they vowed to support him if he agreed to a one-term tenure and hand over power to a candidate from the South-South geopolitical zone in 2015.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that Babangida was told to rescind his decision of handing over to a candidate from the South-East, choose a vice-president from South-South, implement the white paper of the Ledun Mittee committee and create additional states in the South-South geopolitical zone.

Investigations by the Nigerian Tribune revealed that the militants were working with notable South-South governors, who were said to be working underground for different northern presidential aspirants following their irreconcilable differences with President Jonathan.

http://news.nigeriadailynews.com/news/4943-2011_militants_hold_secret_meetings.html
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Mobinga: 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2010
Goodluck Jonathan is Irrelevant come 2011.

Nuhu Ribadu for President
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. by Nsiman(m): 3:43pm On Oct 03, 2010
Gej knws the inside of mend being that he is frm there, and he i beleive is close to the leadership of mend through the amnesty program of th F. G. if mend hold meetings and agree to support aspirants from the north are the drunk, isn't the north that brought about this struggle? anyway they can still be doman partners just to get it. Let no one deceive u by any means mend supports gej, it will only take those 'dirty strugglers' to allow themselves be used to implicate themselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

2015 Election: Jonathan Will Win In Bauchi With Me As Governor — Yuguda / My Assets As PMB And Vice Have Declared Asset Too / Constitution Review: Senate Provides Invalid Email Address

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.