Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw (65094 Views)

How Do I Change My Seat On Qatar Airways? / Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos / Train Crushes Man To Death In Ikeja (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Jaqenhghar: 12:11am On Jun 25, 2019
delishpot:

Which dirty wisdom does Prof have to give me you asked when you quoted me up there.
hmnnnnnn...... That sounded like an insult but, what do I know.

It's all good bro
True sha. No mind me jawe I jist want to see justice das all.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by steveaj(m): 5:10am On Jun 25, 2019
generationz:
I'm sure if Soyinka had nicely asked the man would have allowed him

When an elder lacks respect for his grey hairs he would be disgraced one day

Its like putting your hands into the plate of food of a child and taking his only meat because you are an agbalagba

Its called stealing
The guy has autism, that is why he wants to sit by window side so that he won't fall sick on the plane. Sitting by window side will make look something else.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by aigboeben(m): 6:56am On Jun 25, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
I had to stop reading from page 2. Yes, it's the guy's right, but speaking of 'human right' which they're holding dear. There a provisions in which your fundamental human right would be trampled on if National interest comes first. In that, they don't have a basis for this argument on rights.

A right reasoning person who had the right grooming would allow the old man seat, not even that he's a prof, but that this man is in his 70s. Nature has a way of dealing with people. I pity the women that will end up with these brainless, prideful and arrogant guys as husbands in the future.
If I were to be in the shoes of the young man I would have allowed Prof use my seat, but not without pointing out to him that he was on my seat. I am sure if it was a popular pastor that did this your opinion would have been different. A simple question for you :
Should an elder brother or father to a man sleep with the wife of his younger brother or son in the name of respect for elders?
I believe every authority has boundaries. Corruption is not only looting government funds, but basically taking what rightfully belongs to another
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by generationz(f): 7:39am On Jun 25, 2019
steveaj:

The guy has autism, that is why he wants to sit by window side so that he won't fall sick on the plane. Sitting by window side will make look something else.

Wow I just got to know this

I'm surprised that baba Nobel laureate wouldn't even think about this before stealing someone's chair

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 9:26am On Jun 25, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
I had to stop reading from page 2. Yes, it's the guy's right, but speaking of 'human right' which they're holding dear. There a provisions in which your fundamental human right would be trampled on if National interest comes first. In that, they don't have a basis for this argument on rights.

A right reasoning person who had the right grooming would allow the old man seat, not even that he's a prof, but that this man is in his 70s. Nature has a way of dealing with people. I pity the women that will end up with these brainless, prideful and arrogant guys as husbands in the future.

What Soyinka did was WRONG
The man asked him to go to his ownseat

what is wrong Witt that?

it is mentality like this that makes Nigerians the way they are

You guys cannot stand up for what is right no matter what

The only ground I would have said the young man was wrong is IF he was rude to the old man
that one is inexcusable

but as for asking politely
that was the right thing to do
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 9:31am On Jun 25, 2019
Venerable612:

Culture is part of all we do; not less when Nigerians are the parties in the circumstance. You can argue all you want about it - you are simply sympathetic to the modern Nigeria, which is fine.

But you are deep wrong. I have had white lecturers and Nigerian lecturers. We can call the whites by name for all we care - but we dare not call our Nigerian lecturers by name - even though we are in the UK. The reason is because they grew up in Nigeria like ourselves. For the blacks who grew up abroad they care less about respect. It’s possible you have had different experiences - Buh I work with my Nigerian bosses in the UK and trust me / there is a chain of Nigerian responsibility in our office. All our Nigerian bosses are Mr/Mrs but I can call my Indian boss Navpreet even though she is way older.

I guess I am just trying to say respect is personal thing. I care less what tribe he belongs - he owes a duty to respect elders.

There is really no point going on about this though. It’s just fine to hold your opinion.

interesting

everyone has his own viewpoint tho, and none is wrong because these things are subjective

what is deemed respect to one may not be respect to another....

the "Yoruba" standard for "respect" is also not the same as the "Igbo" standard for respect

these things are thus subjective

but the common denominator for disrespect is insult, which should be discouraged

that said; Africans should quit that "moral high ground illusion"
they are not better than anyone else cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 9:31am On Jun 25, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

Funny enough you are describing the same entitlement mentality that the prof displayed

exactly

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 9:43am On Jun 25, 2019
EagleSquare1:
If he were rude then it is unacceptable. But if he weren’t, then we should respect the young man’s decision to retain or claim his assigned seat. Who knows, the dude might’ve specifically chosen a window seat so he could gaze outside while he reflects on his life or a relationship or something that bothers him. Or that seat number may mean so much to him. Just my thoughts

exactly

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 9:59am On Jun 25, 2019
BluntBoy:

You misunderstood me, my Queen.

I have not passed judgment on who is right or wrong in this case. I only reacted to the post that accused people of asslicking.

I don't see how it is asslicking. I remembered my time in Lagos. How I used to stand up to let an elderly person have my seat. In Lagos of those days, you will see elderly people standing and holding on to overhead rails while young people sit with headphones to their ears. I always gave my seat out to these people. Is that asslicking? I do the same for handicapped people and pregnant women. Would that pass as asslicking?

With the way things are going, it would soon be asslicking to do things that we once held dearly as Africans.

With the way things are going, it would soon be asslicking to do things that we once held dearly as Africans.

this statement above is funny

what are the "things" we hold "dear" as "Africans" that is not done elsewhere

Africans like you tho undecided

Standing up for someone to sit is being considerate, and it is at your discretion, which is a good thing, not exclusive to Africans

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:01am On Jun 25, 2019
googi:
I have no problem with you since the story of your uncle said it all. I just wonder where he got that from and passed it not only to you but his children.

But the the President of USA was cultured enough to give up his Bed on Air Force One and slept on the floor so that an elder former President could rest his old bone.

There is an Igbo proverb that says even when respect is accorded to the elderly, reference is given to achievements.

We have a 85 year old, whether or not he achieved anything, has become a subject of dispute over a seat. Are these Africans children?

Another one with this "African" thing again undecided

smh

What does being an African kid or not have to do with anything?

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:04am On Jun 25, 2019
realG101:
Truth is the Lad lacks good manners, there's no nice approach to asking an elder to leave a seat, we are Africans not Americans, respect is part of our culture and it's even written that 'give honor to whom it is due'..

yet another "This is Africa" person undecided

There is no nice approach to ask an elder to leave a seat THAT YOU PAID FOR

I personally would have let it slide, but that is at my discretion
anyone who also did not want to let it slide is also acting at his own discretion

just be polite about it.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:11am On Jun 25, 2019
Realdeals:

The useless value system that has brought Nigeria to its kneel. Should the value led to breaking of the rules, value should not be demanded, it should be earned not feeling entitled. Older people should set example for what is right and not erode it.

interesting
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:13am On Jun 25, 2019
unapologetic77:
I'm Yoruba i will do the same thing of what value is Soyinka to the guy,in no follow dem dey campaign for buhari all because he hate obj Bleep any body wey support this bloodsucking Govt

you have the right to behave same
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by BluntBoy(m): 10:14am On Jun 25, 2019
Ugosample:

this statement above is funny

what are the "things" we hold "dear" as "Africans" that is not done elsewhere

Africans like you tho undecided

Standing up for someone to sit is being considerate, and it is at your discretion, which is a good thing, not exclusive to Africans

I don't care how you feel. All I know is that it would soon be asslicking to prostrate and greet one's parents or to take their bags from them. The excuse then would be that adults ought to have discretion as though discretion is not influenced by norms. As if we can totally separate personal judgment from sociatal norms.

Perhaps, the young man was right, perhaps, he was right. That is not my call. But when some of us think he should have left his seat for the elderly man, we are no asslicking.

Africans have a strong family system which emphasizes respect for elders. We once held this dearly. I don't see how this is asslicking.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:15am On Jun 25, 2019
GeorgeTheCoder:

Don't be stupid. There's no decent way to tell an octogenarian to stand up. What is really wrong with the people of this generation ?

that is your own point of view and you should keep it to yourself

there is NO sentiment when it comes to commercial issues

Assuming the young man let it go, that would have also been fine

but saying that he has no right to is absolute rubbish

if it were to be in an event for example, then I may have been more critical of the young man

but when it comes to commercial matter
nothing

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:20am On Jun 25, 2019
BluntBoy:

I don't care how you feel. All I know is that it would soon be asslicking to prostrate and greet one's parents or to take their bags from them. The excuse then would be that adults ought to have discretion as though discretion is not influenced by norms. As if we can totally separate personal judgment from sociatal norms.

Perhaps, the young man was right, perhaps, he was right. That is not my call. But when some of us think he should have left his seat for the elderly man, we are no asslicking.

Africans have a strong family system which emphasizes respect for elders. We once held this dearly. I don't see how this is asslicking.

did you hear me talk about asslicking?

where did you get that from?

Africans have a strong family system...

which culture does not have a strong family system by default?

what kind of nigger Africans do we have on the continent?

Wole Soyinka was WRONG
simple and short.

If African culture according to those of you touting it here involves excusing elderly ones for wrongdoing, the such culture is repugnant and should be dumped in the bin

I have many many young ones and nephews and nieces
they know what respect is and respect me

but on no account will I say that because I am their "elder" I begin to do "agbaya" things
.that should not be

Give respect to whom it is due
it goes both ways

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:22am On Jun 25, 2019
Originalsly:
You can'tteach an old dog new tricks. Either Wole Soyinka was not home trained.... or his fame has gone to his head. Then maybe...this is symptom of Alzheimer's. Couldn't he simply ask the guy if he can remain there? But his ego would never allow him to stoop sooooo low to even respond to an illiterate.... doesn't he know who I am?...somebody will tell him...... and sure enough the spineless celebrities rushed in to take side with the bully.

The young man stood up for his right... others try to sit him down. How are we going to move forward? The hostesses too suffer the same syndrome ... they should have told Soyinka to go to his assigned seat. The airline can be sued if the guy did not get his seat.

exactly so

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:24am On Jun 25, 2019
HAKYN1:

Sir, you can't be Yoruba! An average Yoruba man hardly use that expression "of what value is Soyinka to the guy" on an elderly person irrespective of the level of provocation. Even when you try, the Yoruba in you will always restrict you. You may understand Yoruba that doesn't make you Yoruba.

so one is no longer Yoruba by ancestry anymore because of his personal convictions?

and you wonder why Africa is a cesspit

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:25am On Jun 25, 2019
tillerwzb:
Seat are assigned for specific reasons ; which includes security and easier identification in case of eventualities . The young man was only doing what is right and his right for that matter no matter whose ox is gored . So many so called elite have this sense of entitlement and feel that nigeria owes them .

exactly

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:26am On Jun 25, 2019
tescoman90:

Bro I swear you are very right!
This so called elders are blackmailing the youths emotionally with that word.....
"Respect your elders"
This same respect they were having b4 our birth to the extend the youths in Nigeria lost their voice due to the word ,.......
"Respect your elders"
"Don't argue with elders"

this is the precise reason why nigger area is still a cesspit

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:29am On Jun 25, 2019
unmask:
Who else noticed Tonye cole's subtle attempt to paint the guy bad with his description?

Wole Soyinka was wrong and it is a shame what mo abudu wrote. Nothing is coming to the lad.

The right approach would have been to let the young man sit, then request a swap...any other way, the professor would be wrong

I noticed that too

Old men with no sense plenty for Nigeria

What was the point of trying to run the young man down who fought for his right

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:30am On Jun 25, 2019
NnwachukuOkike:
The young man simply obeyed the rules of the airlines. Who assigned Soyinka to that seat in the place?

If not that Nigeria is zoo, Mr Soyinka ought to had sat in where he was assigned to sit.

What hypothetical Nigerians political sycophants ought to have asked is "WAS MR SOYINKA ASSIGNED TO THE SEAT BY THE AIRLINES?"

LAWLESS NIGERIAN ELDERS.

good question

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by GeorgeTheCoder: 10:31am On Jun 25, 2019
Ugosample:

that is your own point of view and you should keep it to yourself

there is NO sentiment when it comes to commercial issues

Assuming the young man let it go, that would have also been fine

but saying that he has no right to is absolute rubbish

if it were to be in an event for example, then I may have been more critical of the young man

but when it comes to commercial matter
nothing

And that is why you lack home training
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:32am On Jun 25, 2019
TruthHurts100:

There should be orderliness.

I was in a bus... We sit four.... I was the third. A woman came last and she's to sit near the door. I came down for her to sit inside while I sit near the opened entrance cos I'm a man and I can hold on tight to whatever.

The woman was happy, I was happy.

Let's change the angle... What if the woman can and asked me to come down for her to sit inside? Two things will happen, it's either I agree or I disagree.

So Mr Soyinka knows his seat no. He should have seated there and he may then ask the owner of the seat if he could swap?

Don't say because you're an elderly man or you have a position then you want to use that to gain an advantage over others. Same way policemen wouldn't want to pay their transport fare. This is the same as jumping a queue.

You have to earn respect of a person, you can't assume it.

Now, the manner at which the young man ordered Mr Soyinka out of his seat might have been rude. There are better ways of tell an elderly to do the right thing. I don't support disrespecting elders. But elders should earn their respect as well.

Pls don't insult me if you don't understand me oooo, I'm feeling cold and my battery is 3%.

good point

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:33am On Jun 25, 2019
GeorgeTheCoder:

And that is why you lack home training
lmao
a grown man like myself cheesy cheesy
okay o
"home training" based on your own definition of home training abi? cheesy cheesy

Anu ofia di ka gi
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ugosample(m): 10:34am On Jun 25, 2019
Venerable612:
The fact that everyone on the front page seems to think the guy is right - shows that something is fundamentally wrong with this generation.

In Yoruba land. There is no such thing as Rights when an Elder is involved; Unless it works injustice. But it doesn’t worth a thing to allow the old man after pleas from people in the flight. Give honour to whole honour is due. If not for old age - but for his reputation. Everything goes round in this world.

I think he is just a proud person.

"no such thing as rights when an elder is involved"

that is a very interesting culture

cheesy cheesy

umu asai cheesy

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by TheIkoro(m): 10:37am On Jun 25, 2019
delishpot:

E no do me o. grin No be everything my papa and mama know. Dem try but dem no know every.

Prof no complain na. The boy ask for his seat and Prof have it back. Why e be say una dey use the views of others take dey insult Prof. Did Prof say he found it insulting? Na una dey swallow panadol for social media stats.

And truly, truly I swear unto thee; the Panadol never bitter enough, yet.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by TheIkoro(m): 10:48am On Jun 25, 2019
GrabHisBalls:

80s, to be more precise. And if you're still pitying women, you have about as much wisdom as Solomon ever ascribed to their gender - and about as much as I ascribe to this generation.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by BluntBoy(m): 10:53am On Jun 25, 2019
Ugosample:

did you hear me talk about asslicking?

where did you get that from?

Africans have a strong family system...

which culture does not have a strong family system by default?

what kind of nigger Africans do we have on the continent?

Wole Soyinka was WRONG
simple and short.

If African culture according to those of you touting it here involves excusing elderly ones for wrongdoing, the such culture is repugnant and should be dumped in the bin

I have many many young ones and nephews and nieces
they know what respect is and respect me

but on no account will I say that because I am their "elder" I begin to do "agbaya" things
.that should not be

Give respect to whom it is due
it goes both ways

Bro, if you can't read, you shouldn't have replied my post. My post was specifically directed to another post. My post was not to pass judgment on who is right or wrong.

I reacted to someone that mentioned asslicking. If you are no concerned about the asslicking part, then why did you reply my post?
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Fuckthamods: 11:56am On Jun 25, 2019
All the ones against the young man, my prayer is that you never find yourselves in a postion that decides for this country. Y'all are animals and your types are the reason why this country isn't moving forward. Fück your nonsense respect!

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by sommyboi(m): 1:47pm On Jun 25, 2019
Elder who initiated cultism during his youthful days. Baba stand up lemme sit close to the window, I want to watch the clouds.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by briggson07(m): 3:49pm On Jun 25, 2019
briggson07:
This is how we get everything wrong in this country...small small small na so godfatherism dey carry start...
for me the guy has done no wrong bcus our dear noble prize winner is suppose to know where he should have his seat...
U will be surprise the man would to talk good about this guy in time to come.
Yes we're Africans we love respect it might even be A mistake for me no qualms people wey want the matter big na my Broder Tonye cole...our soyinka knows

It happened like I wrote yesterday

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Awka Flyovers Illuminating At Night / Visa To Mauritius / UK: Changes To Visa, Immigration Rules Effective October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.