Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw (65098 Views)

How Do I Change My Seat On Qatar Airways? / Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos / Train Crushes Man To Death In Ikeja (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by seyigiggle: 12:29pm On Jun 24, 2019
This is not about respecting Elders.
He was assigned a seat, and if it was not convenient for him he could have stay at his seat first then negotiate with him.
We take everything for granted in this country.
What if it was not him? would it be news worthy.

24 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by labusinessguide: 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2019
It will only be horrible if the said man insulted Wole in his approach.

Else, he paid to be where he demanded for, and the last time I checked, respect has no gender or age or tribe or culture.

Every human being deserves some respect.

In fact, Wole disrespected the young man by sitting where he didn't pay for.

26 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by dominique(f): 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2019
Prof should have requested for a window seat, that's what I do whenever I get to the ticketing counter and my request is always granted except there are no more window seats available. Prof should have sat on the seat assigned to him on his ticket, that's what I always do to avoid embarrassment such as this

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by tonquendo4u(m): 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2019
Why didn't d elder go to the seat assigned to him? The young man was maintaining law and order

18 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:32pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:
The man didn't disrespect Soyinka he was only fighting for his right, the seat was assigned to him and it's normal for soyinka to seat elsewhere, if it was me I would have let Soyinka have the seat but not everyone is the same, he had a choice and he chose what's best for himself.
That's d exact picture

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by karma2000: 12:34pm On Jun 24, 2019
Endtime generation he will face de same karma when he gets to his age

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by kerzhim(m): 12:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
I did not see any act of disrespect here, he only asked for what belongs to him.

16 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
The young man is the kind of youth Nigeria need.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Davash222(m): 12:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
Wole Soyinka is one of the men that introduced conFraternity in Nigeria universities and their aim is to fight against Oppression. So, why is Soyinka oppressing the young man It’s good that the young man stand to his right, maybe he’s a product of Soyinka initiative(frat).

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by superability(m): 12:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
Apostle Joshua Selman of Koinonia once had similar encounter with Prof Soyinka too.
The air hostess wanted even tell Prof Soyinka to stand up, but Apostle rebuked her that she should respect the man that he will seat on any available seat.
African values is fasting fading away.

Lest I forget tomorrow is Apostle Joshua Selman's birthday

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by odomanis: 12:37pm On Jun 24, 2019
Muttee:
Naa waa oooo..

No respect for elder.

Why didn't elder respect himself and sit on his own seat ? Why chance the young man ? Mchew !! If you dont know,most Nigerian youths are so disappointed with the elders,especially the elite elders and blame them for not doing enough to be-quit a better Nigeria to them.

21 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by kremlin01(m): 12:37pm On Jun 24, 2019
Muttee:
Business executive, Tonye Cole narrated an incident he witnessed on a plane between renowned writer Wole Soyinka and a Nigerian man.

Tonye Cole said Mr Wole Soyinka got on the plane and took the window seat. When the young man assigned the seat boarded, he insisted Mr Soyinka leaves his seat. Others on the plane, including the crew members, begged the young man to let the Nobel Laureate have his seat. But the man insisted on sitting where he was assigned.

Mr Cole said this is an indication that our value system has been eroded and youths no longer have repect for elders. Ms Mo Abudu and Kate Henshaw commented, agreeing with him that the young man's behaviour was unacceptable.

https://all-gists..com/2019/06/unusual-encounter-between-soyinka-and-a-plane-passenger-tony-cole-others-reacts.html

I hail the young man in the baseball cap for his valour, may he walk and never stumble. There's nothing wrong with Soyinka sitting on the aisles. What is right, is right..

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by sparko1(m): 12:37pm On Jun 24, 2019
BlackfireX:
Woke Soyinka supported buhari and cajoled young minds to vote for him....that Nigeria will be Eldorado under buhari .... Alas after 4 years + , it was getting worst, infact it makes jona a saint....

Now imagine you are that young man seeing that woke Soyinka on your assigned seat , what will you do? We should applaud the young man, he did well.

Its is very easy to identify you, how does supporting Buhari have anything to do with value system, when an old man is sitting, I don't know where you are from, you can't ask the old man to stand up. The sit might be yours, like it was assigned, if there were no sits in the plane and he was occupying yours, and you see he is an old man, the best you will do is to go to the cabin crew and report, they will sort it out.

You might think, yes, because he is a yoruba man, if it was Achebi that was treated that way, what would have be your response.
We as a country should be very careful, our core value system should not be viewed with politic and sentiments.

5 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by RichBoy247: 12:38pm On Jun 24, 2019
Wole Soyinka messed up big time. I am really disappointed in him. Why fighting over what belongs to someone else? Or rather, why doing beggi beggi in a plane because of ordinary window seat?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by kerzhim(m): 12:40pm On Jun 24, 2019
beamtopola:
The young man is the kind of youth Nigeria need.
Exactly! I wonder why we celebrate mediocrity in this part of the world.

21 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by InvertedHammer: 12:41pm On Jun 24, 2019
/
Why would Soyinka take the man's seat in the first place?

/

11 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by babalolareal(m): 12:43pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:
The man didn't disrespect Soyinka he was only fighting for his right, the seat was assigned to him and it's normal for soyinka to seat elsewhere, if it was me I would have let Soyinka have the seat but not everyone is the same, he had a choice and he chose what's best for himself.

This is just what came to my mind.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by ceasare: 12:45pm On Jun 24, 2019
I would hv loved the guy to give up the seat to wole Soyinka ,not because he's the almighty wole Soyinka but because an elderly man requested it.if it was to be another random unknown elderly man nko? Will it hv generate this kind of attention?
Also all these celebs and elite their character ehn is worst than human I was a d airport sometimes last year and a young chap approach wole Soyinka for a selfie his arrogance was out of this world...yes I meant wole Soyinka .I was pissed off he didn't allow d guy d honor of a selfie under d guise of he's late to board ofwhich he still stayed on d queue to board for another 45mins...d guy felt embarrassed and did bounced away.but there n then whatever respect I hv for his person not his writing prowess evaporated.....truly those who said karma is a bitch ain't wrong anyway.typical Nigerian elite or celeb you hv there!

21 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Davash222(m): 12:46pm On Jun 24, 2019
InvertedHammer:
/
Why would Soyinka take the man's seat in the first place?

/
That’s oppression!!! And Soyinka fought against Oppression back in his university days oo.

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Realwvn(m): 12:48pm On Jun 24, 2019
These old men took everything from young people, the guy clearly paid for a window seat, don’t rob him blind again. This country took everything from the youths, this country is raising angry birds and it’s evident in today’s society, just see the havoc Nigerians are causing everywhere. May God bless us

13 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by tayolak(m): 12:50pm On Jun 24, 2019
he must have a reason for such act but guy atleast you get elders for house undecided

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Jaqenhghar: 12:50pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:
So true. I expect Wole Soyinka who has experience i fighting for rights to do what is right.

7 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by reservd(m): 12:53pm On Jun 24, 2019
He should have respected himself and ask the young man's permission to take his seat rather than sit on it without his consent

9 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by agarawu23(m): 12:53pm On Jun 24, 2019
Everything shouldn't be about Elder or respect. Soyinka himself knew the number of his seat so why seat in another guys seat?

5 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Vince77(m): 12:53pm On Jun 24, 2019
Prof is the one who disrespected the young man by taking the young man's seat without asking him first.

He should have waited for the young man to come and then politely ask him to allow him sit at the window.

I'm sure if Prof had done it this way, the young man would have let him take the seat.

Prof didn't act like an educated man at all.

17 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by litaninja(m): 12:54pm On Jun 24, 2019
Kindly take your assigned seats.

5 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by wonlasewonimi: 12:54pm On Jun 24, 2019
Some of those seats are not even free. If I paid to reserve it, the Prof is going to gbe body e. No disrespect!

4 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by unapologetic77: 1:01pm On Jun 24, 2019
The guy did nothing wrong joh na my seat buhari ass licker should find his seat

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by mudiana(m): 1:01pm On Jun 24, 2019
Muttee:
Business executive, Tonye Cole narrated an incident he witnessed on a plane between renowned writer Wole Soyinka and a Nigerian man.

Tonye Cole said Mr Wole Soyinka got on the plane and took the window seat. When the young man assigned the seat boarded, he insisted Mr Soyinka leaves his seat. Others on the plane, including the crew members, begged the young man to let the Nobel Laureate have his seat. But the man insisted on sitting where he was assigned.

Mr Cole said this is an indication that our value system has been eroded and youths no longer have repect for elders. Ms Mo Abudu and Kate Henshaw commented, agreeing with him that the young man's behaviour was unacceptable.

https://all-gists..com/2019/06/unusual-encounter-between-soyinka-and-a-plane-passenger-tony-cole-others-reacts.html
since we now value money more than true hustle, let's face the music. These stupid youths never disgrace Una reach.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Awka Flyovers Illuminating At Night / Visa To Mauritius / UK: Changes To Visa, Immigration Rules Effective October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.