Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw (65097 Views)

How Do I Change My Seat On Qatar Airways? / Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos / Train Crushes Man To Death In Ikeja (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:04pm On Jun 24, 2019
MinCeteris:

I am sure that young man is from that other part of the country where they don't respect elders.
so na una hypocrital respect be respect...
I don't bow to greet my mum but I still respect her...ur culture is yours respect other people own...
the young man paid for his seat and Soyinka didn't complain but tonye Cole who wanted to blackmail him is making useless noise
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by sisisioge: 8:05pm On Jun 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
The comments on front page and second page says a lot about the value system of those resident on this forum. So, let's turn the tables. If you pay for a seat and it's your right to be on the seat allocated to you, then your dad switched seats with you, would you ask him to leave simply 'cause you paid for it? And they're here talking about 'rights'. Disrespectful generation!

Thank you o...may God help this generation. There are so much defects on our pack...where do we start from? It is well.

One idiotik female even called him an hooligan! Lawd!
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:11pm On Jun 24, 2019
Tmemzi:
You are very stupid for spewing this thrash. He should have requested.for his own window seat when purchasing his ticket!!!!!
why the thing pain u like this u insult person for making his own view nawa oooo
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 24, 2019
sisisioge:

Thank you o...may God help this generation. There are so much defects on our pack...where do we start from? It is well.

One idiotik female even called him an hooligan! Lawd!
I had to stop reading from page 2. Yes, it's the guy's right, but speaking of 'human right' which they're holding dear. There a provisions in which your fundamental human right would be trampled on if National interest comes first. In that, they don't have a basis for this argument on rights.

A right reasoning person who had the right grooming would allow the old man seat, not even that he's a prof, but that this man is in his 70s. Nature has a way of dealing with people. I pity the women that will end up with these brainless, prideful and arrogant guys as husbands in the future.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:23pm On Jun 24, 2019
focus7:
The young is definitely an Igbo who just wanted to vent his hate for the prof being a Yoruba
as if Achebe and other intellectual giants like chinwenzu,chimanmamda ain't inbos nonsense
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by efembaba(m): 8:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
This is why i prefer to be a billionare to winning the nobel laureth. If baba Soyinka had bought a private ket for himself all this embarrassment would not have occurred
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Kay25(m): 8:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
DrRasheed:
It is only rude if he said without manners.
am sure you are from that side that don't have respect for their elders
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:33pm On Jun 24, 2019
Maximize52:
That is just an example of the erosion of values in our society. The young man wouldn't have known Prof. Woke Soyinka and didn't know he was standing face to face with a living legend. However, how do you blame him? The educational system is so disjointed that it is possible he has never heard that name before. He may not even know what Nobel prize is and what it takes to be a Nobel laureate. Don't be surprised many graduates parading in this country will fall into that same category. So such despicable character despite all efforts to placate him does not surprise me. Most Nigerians are crude in their behaviour. And this stems from the wrong form of education and societal standards we have set for ourselves. Make the money, who will ask you how? After making it you can oppress and bully as many that come your way. That is the mentality of an average Nigerian. But the paradigm has to shift. If not we make no progress.
so because Soyinka is a Nobel winner means the guy has no right to his seat paid..is the young man not human...agreed wole is a legend but rules are rules and it's within the guy right to give his seat for wole...

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by doggedfighter(f): 8:54pm On Jun 24, 2019
Temple1288:

Let thunders from Otobo's left breast and Danielle Okeke's big booty strike you and your Apostle!
Damn. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin walahi. This is so funny

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Izime4(m): 8:58pm On Jun 24, 2019
Why Prof no go sit for pilot seat make pilot allow him sidon bcoz hin be Prof?
if na me sef hin must stand up well. na hin dey feed me?

4 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Elliot2(m): 9:00pm On Jun 24, 2019
In just one moment prof has almost made nonsense of all that he stood for,if he hesitated in leaving the seat for the young man.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by doggedfighter(f): 9:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
BluntBoy:

You don't have a choice. You have to buy the African value. grin

On our wedding day, you will have to kneel to feed me, at least.

You will call me "Olowo ori mi" which translates loosely to "The owner of the money on my head". And when I am angry, you will have to pacify me with a good meal. Yorubas have a saying "Olobe lo loko". This translates loosely as "The cook owns the husband".

Of course, I will love you, expectedly. grin cheesy
This one is wooing a woman while we're discussing something important. Imagine grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by TheIkoro(m): 9:38pm On Jun 24, 2019
Muttee:
Business executive, Tonye Cole narrated an incident he witnessed on a plane between renowned writer Wole Soyinka and a Nigerian man.

Tonye Cole said Mr Wole Soyinka got on the plane and took the window seat. When the young man assigned the seat boarded, he insisted Mr Soyinka leaves his seat. Others on the plane, including the crew members, begged the young man to let the Nobel Laureate have his seat. But the man insisted on sitting where he was assigned.

Mr Cole said this is an indication that our value system has been eroded and youths no longer have repect for elders. Ms Mo Abudu and Kate Henshaw commented, agreeing with him that the young man's behaviour was unacceptable.

https://all-gists..com/2019/06/unusual-encounter-between-soyinka-and-a-plane-passenger-tony-cole-others-reacts.html

The respect for the frailty of both age and (supposedly) feminity - which Woman however has grossly misused in this generation - is that which has the English open doors and pull chairs out for women. It's that which the Yoruba youth would do for the aged, in a long-distant past before "jaiye-jaiye" and the "oclub" eroded every sign of his culture ever having had common sense. It's not merely courtesy, it's regard for the weakness that despite it does not in any way imply inferiority. And it is that which this foolish young man obviously lacks.

The boy should have the same lack of regard given all his children, in all that is environment - be it school or streets - to them. That should teach all like unto him and The Fools on Nairaland (that have made most of the comments I have read on this thread) a lesson.

Seven eyes for an eye. Thus saith the wisdom of Solomon.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Venerable612(m): 9:39pm On Jun 24, 2019
asuustrike1:

Here you go again! In business or in a public setting you don't bring your cultural norm to play. If it were to be so there would have been anarchy and chaos. I have seen an old man politely begging a young man to excuse him? would you say the old man degrade himself or he applied wisdom ?. You stick to your culture when you meet your own not forcing on the throat of other people. Wouldn't the accused had left the seat if it was a white man? Same Prof would respect himself if he in USA but would come here an claim right all in the name of culture.

Culture is part of all we do; not less when Nigerians are the parties in the circumstance. You can argue all you want about it - you are simply sympathetic to the modern Nigeria, which is fine.

But you are deep wrong. I have had white lecturers and Nigerian lecturers. We can call the whites by name for all we care - but we dare not call our Nigerian lecturers by name - even though we are in the UK. The reason is because they grew up in Nigeria like ourselves. For the blacks who grew up abroad they care less about respect. It’s possible you have had different experiences - Buh I work with my Nigerian bosses in the UK and trust me / there is a chain of Nigerian responsibility in our office. All our Nigerian bosses are Mr/Mrs but I can call my Indian boss Navpreet even though she is way older.

I guess I am just trying to say respect is personal thing. I care less what tribe he belongs - he owes a duty to respect elders.

There is really no point going on about this though. It’s just fine to hold your opinion.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Jaqenhghar: 9:50pm On Jun 24, 2019
delishpot:
But the young man could have also used the opportunity to rub mind with the great man. If na me sha, I will ask for my seat since I like sitting at that spot. but when I see say him like the place sha..... me I for smile and say.... For you sir. Life sometimes brings opportunity to gain wisdom our way but we use ego to push it away. Na dem kukuma sabi!

Prof if you reading this know that I will leave my window seat for you no qualms.
Which dirty wisdom. The wisdom your Papa and mama give you never do?
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Brainardc(m): 9:51pm On Jun 24, 2019
She asked him politely, so no big deal
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Jaqenhghar: 9:52pm On Jun 24, 2019
Maximize52:
That is just an example of the erosion of values in our society. The young man wouldn't have known Prof. Woke Soyinka and didn't know he was standing face to face with a living legend. However, how do you blame him? The educational system is so disjointed that it is possible he has never heard that name before. He may not even know what Nobel prize is and what it takes to be a Nobel laureate. Don't be surprised many graduates parading in this country will fall into that same category. So such despicable character despite all efforts to placate him does not surprise me. Most Nigerians are crude in their behaviour. And this stems from the wrong form of education and societal standards we have set for ourselves. Make the money, who will ask you how? After making it you can oppress and bully as many that come your way. That is the mentality of an average Nigerian. But the paradigm has to shift. If not we make no progress.
Funny enough you are describing the same entitlement mentality that the prof displayed

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by delishpot: 9:54pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

Which dirty wisdom. The wisdom your Papa and mama give you never do?

E no do me o. grin No be everything my papa and mama know. Dem try but dem no know every.

Prof no complain na. The boy ask for his seat and Prof have it back. Why e be say una dey use the views of others take dey insult Prof. Did Prof say he found it insulting? Na una dey swallow panadol for social media stats.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Jaqenhghar: 9:56pm On Jun 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
The comments on front page and second page says a lot about the value system of those resident on this forum. So, let's turn the tables. If you pay for a seat and it's your right to be on the seat allocated to you, then your dad switched seats with you, would you ask him to leave simply 'cause you paid for it? And they're here talking about 'rights'. Disrespectful generation!

First that man is not my father. He has not done anything for me to place him on that level with my father. I owe him nothing. Whatever he achieved he achieved for himself and good for him. I have my rights as he does his. I paid for a seat and I think its only fair I should enjoy what I paid for.

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Jaqenhghar: 10:01pm On Jun 24, 2019
delishpot:

E no do me o. grin No be everything my papa and mama know. Dem try but dem no know every.

Prof no complain na. The boy ask for his seat and Prof have it back. Why e be say una dey use the views of others take dey insult Prof. Did Prof say he found it insulting? Na una dey swallow panadol for social media stats.
I didnt insult the Prof. Its this cultural value ne I am addressing. We are all entitled to our opinions. As I talk my own make everybody talk O.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by delishpot: 10:04pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

I didnt insult the Prof. Its this cultural value ne I am addressing. We are all entitled to our opinions. As I talk my own make everybody talk O.

Which dirty wisdom does Prof have to give me you asked when you quoted me up there.
hmnnnnnn...... That sounded like an insult but, what do I know.

It's all good bro
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Xcex: 10:07pm On Jun 24, 2019
Yeah, the guy just showed us he is not from this part of the world where we don't bide by rules and play double face in everything,
My father once told me that I can only kneel/bow to God not even him or his father, that does not take out the love we have for each other or respect for him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:09pm On Jun 24, 2019
BluntBoy:

You don't have a choice. You have to buy the African value. grin

On our wedding day, you will have to kneel to feed me, at least.

You will call me "Olowo ori mi" which translates loosely to "The owner of the money on my head". And when I am angry, you will have to pacify me with a good meal. Yorubas have a saying "Olobe lo loko". This translates loosely as "The cook owns the husband".

Of course, I will love you, expectedly. grin cheesy
Sweet dreams grin dream on cheesy

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by BluntBoy(m): 10:15pm On Jun 24, 2019
doggedfighter:

This one is wooing a woman while we're discussing something important. Imagine grin grin grin grin grin grin

That is my Queen. I love her very much. grin

You see, when you genuinely love someone, you want to woo them over and over again.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by zoedew: 10:16pm On Jun 24, 2019
Our cultural values does not support impersonation and corruption. It is corruption and stealing (even if Jonathan disagrees!) to sit on the seat belonging to another with intention permanently to deprive the person of same! The Prof will be excused only where he sat on the young man’s seat in the mistaken belief it was his. It would be a different matter where the seats did not go round. In that event it would be unAfrican to not give up one’s seat for the elderly even if he were a crass illiterate!

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by LANDLORD72: 10:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:

I won't try it.

Soyinka must go back to his seat.

Professor behaving like hooligans
No wonder he brought confotanity to Nigeria with this arrogant behaviour
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by EagleSquare1(m): 10:33pm On Jun 24, 2019
If he were rude then it is unacceptable. But if he weren’t, then we should respect the young man’s decision to retain or claim his assigned seat. Who knows, the dude might’ve specifically chosen a window seat so he could gaze outside while he reflects on his life or a relationship or something that bothers him. Or that seat number may mean so much to him. Just my thoughts

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by philip0906(m): 10:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

First that man is not my father. He has not done anything for me to place him on that level with my father. I owe him nothing. Whatever he achieved he achieved for himself and good for him. I have my rights as he does his. I paid for a seat and I think its only fair I should enjoy what I paid for.
Succinctly put! Kudos
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Emanodimo(m): 10:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
Tonyecole pointed out two significant word, Elders & Globally recognized personalities.

See some of this so called Elders & Globally Recognized Persons are no where to be found within themselves, privately at home, immediate environs cuz sometimes that thinking of ain't suppose to be doing that by my age, pride or feeling of being in control makes them lose that respect.

Do be surprised that if Prof youngest son or daughter will do the same to an elderly ones around them.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Dearlord(m): 10:45pm On Jun 24, 2019
This shouldn't have come to limelight if prof had be learned enough.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by DavidEsq(m): 11:04pm On Jun 24, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Flights seats are number. Prof. Soyinka should have requested for a seat by the window when booking the flight. The young man just insisted on his fundamental rights but i think he should have reasoned with those who pleaded with him and let the old man be.

The guy must be a true blooded Igbo guy. We are not asslickers. We know our rights and stand by it
If I were the one in the young man's seat, u would not be spilling this crap from ur kola rusted mouth. Even the topic would likely read: "fight nearly broke out between two rascals over plane seat". M.O Abudu and her kock sucking, boot licking, balls smoothening gang would be raving about young Nigerians who have lost every sense of simple procedure. Even M.O. would pull a Kanye on all of u supporting Wole, if u wr the ones in her seat. Bloody buncha hypocrites angry
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by taiwolomo1: 11:41pm On Jun 24, 2019
Abi Baba dn jonz the guy for one lecture class before ni? grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Awka Flyovers Illuminating At Night / Visa To Mauritius / UK: Changes To Visa, Immigration Rules Effective October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.