Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw (65105 Views)

How Do I Change My Seat On Qatar Airways? / Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos / Train Crushes Man To Death In Ikeja (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 3:38pm On Jun 24, 2019
NnwachukuOkike:

What that his seat's tag? Does it mean that Prof Soyinka didn't have seat number?

I hope another seat he vet for don't belong to another passengers.

NIGERIAN LEADERS DON'T OBEYS RULES OF LAW.

He would seat in another if that also belong to someone else. Life is not that hard, fellow human.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Chu2k2: 3:39pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:
The man didn't disrespect Soyinka he was only fighting for his right, the seat was assigned to him and it's normal for soyinka to seat elsewhere, if it was me I would have let Soyinka have the seat but not everyone is the same, he had a choice and he chose what's best for himself.
Peace can only be attained where there is equal rights and justice...
Am not saying what the guy did was right...
Soyinka would have quietly left for his rightful place when the said guy refused him to occupy the seat.
Since he already had a seat allocated him...

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Chu2k2: 3:41pm On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:
Wole Soyinka is the one looking for trouble. He should go and look for his seat number and occupy where is assigned to him.

Imagine a professor behaving like a rascal or a tout

what is he teaching then?
My brother, leave am, it's in their blood..
I no call anybody name oh..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 3:43pm On Jun 24, 2019
NnwachukuOkike:

What that his seat's tag? Does it mean that Prof Soyinka didn't have seat number?

I hope another seat he vet for don't belong to another passengers.

NIGERIAN LEADERS DON'T OBEYS RULES OF LAW.

Odds are Prof had no issues with moving seats. Probably saw himself in the young man who was brave enough to ask for what was his by right.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nickshrapnel: 3:44pm On Jun 24, 2019
The young man is within his right!

2016 I went to the bank to make a complaint, I was told to sit and wait, after some 30 minutes I was still seated there lost in thought when suddenly an old man tapped me and said angrily that can't I get up so he would sit down. I was dumbfounded, I knew I ought to get up for him to sit but the problem was that I didn't even know he was standing beside me
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by mhizsuzzy(f): 3:46pm On Jun 24, 2019
I have embraced one quote

when you have to choose between being kind and being right... Choose to be Kind
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Estaxy21211: 3:48pm On Jun 24, 2019
HAKYN1:

Sir, you can't be Yoruba! An average Yoruba man hardly use that expression "of what value is Soyinka to the guy" on an elderly person irrespective of the level of provocation. Even when you try, the Yoruba in you will always restrict you. You may understand Yoruba that doesn't make you Yoruba.
av worked with Yoruba's n I can tell you that majority of yoruba's lack respect.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by bobo33: 3:49pm On Jun 24, 2019
Mr.soyinka you have to show a leadership by example and take your right sit don't think because you are an elderly person you need use it to over right Junior person stand up and take your nomal sit and respect your self just because of this can of behavior Nigeria keep going down
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 24, 2019
Boboye4slim:

Only God knows what triggered you this much. Lord lugard has done what he did. Not my problem. Anyone can make a mistake, you cant tell me you've never for once made a mistake. People sit on different seats everytime on planes if there are vacant spaces. He probably felt the passenger wasnt available and when he found out he was, man respect stood up. This isn't a tribal war. Im not into that. Tribe dont make me who i am. I am human and i have sense. The way of kife evrywhere is the same. Human want the same thing. Freedom and fulfiment. Tribe is only about language and background culture. But even that can be learnt now, theres nothing special about it anymore. face your life and stop throwing petty tribal fight online. You can do better. Lets all move on

Just leave the preaching, I don't want to hear that....Is too late to start promoting some kind of peace in this enclave.

I don't need that preaching to my conscience please.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 24, 2019
Venerable612:

Exactly what I am saying. Education and western ideals is the problem here. The whole point was that He asked the man to stand up from his seat. It doesn’t matter that anyone else offered him - He asked Wole Soyinka to stand up from his seat.

Again, Two things are at play. Elder & Reputation. If respect in this sense is not assumed I don’t know what else is. That’s culture - it’s got nothing to do with entitlement or civil rights! If he is Yoruba - Omo ale jati jati Niru won. He should go and ask his father to stand up from the seat because he paid for it. sad
Here you go again! In business or in a public setting you don't bring your cultural norm to play. If it were to be so there would have been anarchy and chaos. I have seen an old man politely begging a young man to excuse him? would you say the old man degrade himself or he applied wisdom ?. You stick to your culture when you meet your own not forcing on the throat of other people. Wouldn't the accused had left the seat if it was a white man? Same Prof would respect himself if he in USA but would come here an claim right all in the name of culture.

5 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by googi: 3:53pm On Jun 24, 2019
Unfortunately, this has turned to politics and rights. One person even claimed Soyinka supported Buhari.

Who sold this to us, replace our culture with fake culture they do not even put into practice. The first time I saw an American got up for an older man in the bus, I wondered.

But Nigerians wey don open eye never fails to surprise us. One student in Europe, I read, even told the father to wash his plate. He stopped paying her fees.

Let me point it out that Bill Clinton was the President of USA when he gave up his bed on Air Force One for former President Papa Bush on a foreign trip. Mind you, he defeated Papa Bush as President.

With dis shidren, Africa Don caput. No be curse o.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 24, 2019
Chu2k2:

My brother, leave am, it's in their blood..
I no call anybody name oh..

No you don't need to.
Is already even beyond pacific ocean.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 24, 2019
asuustrike1:

Here you go again! In business or in a public setting you don't bring your cultural norm to play. If it were to be so there would have been anarchy and chaos. I have seen an old man politely begging a young man to excuse him? would you say the old man degrade himself or he applied wisdom ?. You stick to your culture when you meet your own not forcing on the throat of other people. Wouldn't the accused had left the seat if it was a white man? Same Prof would respect himself if he in USA but would come here an claim right all in the name of culture.

Good bless.

I always love to read your post. Sound and okay.
One of the exceptional yorubas we have here is u. If others can reason and think like you.....

Remain blessed.

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by fkj950ax(m): 4:02pm On Jun 24, 2019
Totally disappointed in all these PWS Warriors.
What he did was wrong. The guy paid for his seat. He deserves his seat. If PWS sat at the right place he paid for, this wouldn't happen. The guy might have even given PWS the seat ON HIS OWN if he sees PWS trying to read the newspaper or whatever.
Let us stop promoting wrong by hiding behind false respect.
Is it right for PWS to take a seat not his? The right thing is to let the guy give up his seat willingly. The guy may even not mind.

PWS is not complaining, but Tonye Cole is the Amebo here and even had the guts to post the guys picture online WITHOUT HIS PERMISSION. That is an invasion of privacy and I hope he gets sued from here to Timbuktu. #ArrantNonsense

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 24, 2019
Nawao ! I don’t like Soyinka’s involvement in cajoling the young people into voting buhari . But common now even even in western world seniors are given priority.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Sensenan: 4:05pm On Jun 24, 2019
If Soyinka has asked the guy politely for that seat I don't think the guy would has reacted the way he did. Besides not every body gives a damn about what you are or who you are.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by focus7: 4:07pm On Jun 24, 2019
The young is definitely an Igbo who just wanted to vent his hate for the prof being a Yoruba
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by adonaimart(m): 4:11pm On Jun 24, 2019
Mr Tonye Cole could have vacated his seat and allow prof to Sidon. Besides, nobody send Tonye dis work o..Prof has realised he goofed and Sidon jeje now Tonye come de tell everybody. Even Madam Mo don hear...
Muttee:
Business executive, Tonye Cole narrated an incident he witnessed on a plane between renowned writer Wole Soyinka and a Nigerian man.

Tonye Cole said Mr Wole Soyinka got on the plane and took the window seat. When the young man assigned the seat boarded, he insisted Mr Soyinka leaves his seat. Others on the plane, including the crew members, begged the young man to let the Nobel Laureate have his seat. But the man insisted on sitting where he was assigned.

Mr Cole said this is an indication that our value system has been eroded and youths no longer have repect for elders. Ms Mo Abudu and Kate Henshaw commented, agreeing with him that the young man's behaviour was unacceptable.

https://all-gists..com/2019/06/unusual-encounter-between-soyinka-and-a-plane-passenger-tony-cole-others-reacts.html
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Minjim: 4:11pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:
The man didn't disrespect Soyinka he was only fighting for his right, the seat was assigned to him and it's normal for soyinka to seat elsewhere, if it was me I would have let Soyinka have the seat but not everyone is the same, he had a choice and he chose what's best for himself.

The young man was not only disrespectful but also lacked discipline can
Discipline entails you sacrifice your right on the podium of of respect if need be.
If it we're his father , would he still insist?
The Prof is a senior for crying out loud!
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Minjim: 4:15pm On Jun 24, 2019
Sensenan:
If Soyinka has asked the guy politely for that seat I don't think the guy would has reacted the way he did. Besides not every body gives a damn about what you are or who you are.

You don't ask people to respect you.
If the Prof had asked politely the case wouldn't be any different. When people like or reference you, it comes naturally.
The boy is just a unadulterated rude fellow
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by nwanyionitsha: 4:17pm On Jun 24, 2019
MinCeteris:

I am sure that young man is from that other part of the country where they don't respect elders.
Elders ke?Over a seat he paid for? Smh.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by nwanyionitsha: 4:20pm On Jun 24, 2019
Venerable612:
The fact that everyone on the front page seems to think the guy is right - shows that something is fundamentally wrong with this generation.

In Yoruba land. There is no such thing as Rights when an Elder is involved; Unless it works injustice. But it doesn’t worth a thing to allow the old man after pleas from people in the flight. Give honour to whole honour is due. If not for old age - but for his reputation. Everything goes round in this world.

I think he is just a proud person.
Everybody isn't Yoruba biko.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Minjim: 4:23pm On Jun 24, 2019
bobo33:
Mr.soyinka you have to show a leadership by example and take your right sit don't think because you are an elderly person you need use it to over right Junior person stand up and take your nomal sit and respect your self just because of this can of behavior Nigeria keep going down

It's actually lack of respect from people like you to those who deserved it that's leading us where we are
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by tealaw2: 4:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
Elders are the problem of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by googi: 4:34pm On Jun 24, 2019
We hear this all the time. Who developed the business culture?

Have you ever heard about Japanese or Chinese business culture practiced and taught to English and American business men?

asuustrike1:

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Fantazy(m): 4:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
U are right! but one doesn't have to fight for his/her right EVERY time, at least for peace sake
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by emelda86(f): 4:46pm On Jun 24, 2019
In western world an old man won't do such he will respect himself and sit on his seat.

Because say na soyinka make him jump from the plane ni?

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Endtimebro: 4:47pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:
You made I reasonable point sir
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by charlesditro: 4:51pm On Jun 24, 2019
can only be rude in approach not in reasoning.....if I was in his shoes and he wole soyinka requested to sit on my seat, I would oblige not for the sake of his personality.....I would actually for anyone that age....for reasons best known to me......imagine the owner of that seat was older than wole soyinka, I wonder how dey would have reconciled the anormally......what religion teaches is far from what democracy, freedom of speech and expression of individual human right stands for.....the world is fast changing and we African can only copy because of our set back due to slavery and colonization........I cannot save Nigeria not matter what is done.......we worship fortunate people because of that same value system that has been reshaped.......the problems plenty so I'll rest.......but the worst people i think are not the people doing wrong but people like cole who posted this with intentions to crucify the young man plus the commentators who noted he would get what he deserves.....I consider such people hypocrites....I bet if he was a SARS operative he would arrest the young man for being civil........
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by kokomilala(m): 4:52pm On Jun 24, 2019
@booscy,how did Soyinka create cultism in Nigerian university system? I think you're contradicted by your own limited knowledge of the whole thing and hamstrung by your sheer jaundice against him.
The Sea Dogs confraternity was just like a pressure group birthed to protect students' interests,and not like some rascally groups that the mentally deficient mortals later joined .
Well,you may not appreciate him ,but others do .He's still held in the highest regards the world over. He's less than a month short of his 85 birthday, but he still maintains the singles mindedness of a humanist,a revolutionary and an activist.I just wonder how many of the people who are stupidly invidious about him will be able, at his age,at the very least, have a hard and balanced assessment of issues as his genius allows him?
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:05pm On Jun 24, 2019
BluntBoy:

Where is the asslicking here? Until the white man brought his colonialism, elders were accorded huge respect in Nigeria, even in your Igboland. There are many proverbs to that effect.

There is no asslicking here. Any Nigerian that is well brought up would have been shocked even if the elderly person was a nobody.

There is no asslicking here. I would have gladly forfeited my seat for any elderly person whether they are Soyinka or not. It is just my upbringing.
It is not about upbringing soyinka was wrong.
Thumbs up to the boy he did the right thing. You don't claim what is not yours the guy paid for the flight and has as much rights as mr soyinka to seat in his rightful place.
People should stop disrespecting people in the name of being an elder respect is earned not demanded neither is it a right.

6 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by oyoofong(m): 5:07pm On Jun 24, 2019
The boy was right.He should learn to be Noble.He is a part of Nigeria trouble.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Awka Flyovers Illuminating At Night / Visa To Mauritius / UK: Changes To Visa, Immigration Rules Effective October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.