Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,493 members, 7,823,156 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud (21312 Views)

Oceanic Bank Now Eco Bank? / Loan: Jimoh Ibrahim Pays N3bn To Oceanic Bank / Assistance Wanted: Swift Code Of Oceanic Bank Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Ibime(m): 5:46pm On Oct 09, 2010
Dead bodi done die finish, Kafanchan still dey try resuscutate.

The fat binsh is guilty as charged and the pastor go soon follow. If Akingbola like, make in no go settle like Madam Ibru. Na 10 years den go give am because of agidi.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 5:47pm On Oct 09, 2010
invisible!:

I didnt get to read the part where she was alleged to have given herself a loan, could you please help point it out to me. Thank you.

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2762:mrs-cecilia-ibru-the-face-of-corruption&catid=52:daniel-elombah&Itemid=73
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by JaaizTech: 5:47pm On Oct 09, 2010
kafanchan:

It is not decision gone wrong my brother, it is MAN KNOW MAN. First bank know sanusi and oceanic bank doesnt. I wish this thing done to Ibru will go round other MDs too. I am more than 70% sure not a single MD will be left (Imean those MDs under Soludo). I just have this feelings that as long selective judgement continues, we are doomed in this country. Man go just tif money, and e go make sure say im dey humble enuf to pally any government in power. Shey u know of the issue of SEAWOLF and FIRSTBANK. Sanusi never bullied First bank for giving one organisation loan worth 28% of its shareholder's fund. To make the matter worse, the loan was reclassified instead of being written off ( the evidence was once posted on NL but I cant lay my hands on it now). The same offence few other MDs are facing trial for. Just imagine Ibru going to jail and Ovia, Elumelu, Akinfehinwa and Tayo being celebrated. So sad, my brother.

I have a dream, that one day all thieves will be made to face judgement irrespective of their affiliation or connection. That is when I can boldly say "Naija is there".

Why are you living in denial; you know deep in your mind that she stole; that she can be classified as a thief; and yet you allow sentiments to becloud your judgement. Perhaps she goes to your church or she is your church member, that shouldn't make you lose your objectivity. For God sake the Woman pleaded Guilty (She accepted she did it, but reached an agreement with EFCC in order to receive a softer punishment). May be some of you don't even know, she might not be spending those 6 months in jail, but in Reddington Hospital; that was the Judge's ruling that she should proceed to Reddington Hospital because of Her Health conditions (which are probably fake) I know when Erastus Akingbola gets his judgement, Redeem Church worshippers will whip up the same sentiments.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by xterra2(m): 5:47pm On Oct 09, 2010

So the Anti-Sanusi guys are a bit  silent here  grin grin grin
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by victor08(m): 5:50pm On Oct 09, 2010
shes supposed tom be jailed 5years. a mother stealing 150billion- A SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 5:51pm On Oct 09, 2010
invisible!:

Would it not be a waste of bandwidth, to try and compare apples and oranges here. Enron, the US are a different kettle of fish altogether. Let us stick to the basics.

You don't get the riddle.

Enron management and Ibru were manipulating books to exploit shareholders for their gains. They intentionally acted illegally to enrich themselves.

First Bank management like EVEN THE BEST RUN BANKS IN THE world, lost money throw legal business activities. Banking is a business of risk, some risk manifest negatively.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 5:55pm On Oct 09, 2010
kafanchan:

She is actually guilty, my own is question is 'what about other MDs", (na im make me dey feel for the woman - I feel bad when I see a case of double standard),  Prosecute them too, that is when me, you and every sane person in this country will know that we are on track to real justice and fairness.

This is the same pathetic excuses that were raised when Alams was arrested and found guilty.

This is the same excuse some where giving for Ibori when he was being sought: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-444610.0.html

Please let us not be throwing this kind of horrible arguments to defend thieves.

We should be applauding when any is dealt with, not be calling it a witch hunt.

Whoever is next is for later.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by JaaizTech: 5:57pm On Oct 09, 2010
[img]http://thewillnigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=Ibru_02_490926520.jpeg&size=article_medium[/img]

Isn't this just wickedness and obsessive avarice. All that Billions?!!! She could have bought over Liverpool if she wanted to.She kept acquiring shares of Oceanic Bank under many different accounts; obviously she knew what she was doing. Simply put it; she was using Bank depositor's money like her personal money.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 5:57pm On Oct 09, 2010
xterra2:

So the Anti-Sanusi guys are a bit  silent here  grin grin grin

I am waiting for the morons.

Lets see which of them has the guts.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by invisible2(m): 5:57pm On Oct 09, 2010
maxdi:

I think I have a different view.

Where on earth could all these have been gotten?
Had this Nigerian worked with govt. or been into politics before?
How has this loot affected oceanic bank staff and depositor?
Is this not really political, considering the jail term?

Oh Lord My God, Please Save this country and give us strength to embrace the truth.

I agree with you, but only to some extent. I think the Ibru woman committed some wrong, albeit with good intentions. What I wont endorse is going after some people because of their way of life, not for the weight of evidence staked against them.
This woman has become too rich for a banker, and in the face of mounting economic ruins and poorer working class, it looks wrong. Back to her offence, all the 25 bank MDs are guilty of that, let all of them be locked up. Justice will be seen to have been done, especially if it is not selective.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 6:01pm On Oct 09, 2010
invisible!:

I agree with you, but only to some extent. I think the Ibru woman committed some wrong, albeit with good intentions. What I wont endorse is going after some people because of their way of life, not for the weight of evidence staked against them.
This woman has become too rich for a banker, and in the face of mounting economic ruins and poorer working class, it looks wrong. Back to her offence, all the 25 bank MDs are guilty of that, let all of them be locked up. Justice will be seen to have been done, especially if it is not selective.

Can you please explain. shocked
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Lagosboy: 6:05pm On Oct 09, 2010
People screaming selective jsutice should think again and understand that a person accepts guilt herself and now a convict, she accepted to forfeit 190 billion naira herself without a judge having to prove her guilt. The bottom line is as long as an innocent person has not been convicted of fraud then there is no case for selective justice. 100% cleansing cannot be achieved in one day or by one person but someone has to start the process in which case Sanusi has started.

The beneficial thing is these CEOs know that it is not business as usual and they are towing the line set to them by the CBN governor general.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 6:11pm On Oct 09, 2010
Lagosboy:

People screaming selective jsutice should think again and understand that a person accepts guilt herself and now a convict, she accepted to forfeit 190 billion naira herself without a judge having to prove her guilt. The bottom line is as long as an innocent person has not been convicted of fraud then there is no case for selective justice. 100% cleansing cannot be achieved in one day or by one person but someone has to start the process in which case Sanusi has started.

The beneficial thing is these CEOs know that it is not business as usual and they are towing the line set to them by the CBN governor general.

What is wrong with you?

Of course any armed robber caught should also scream selective justice as he is not the only armed robber in the country. He/she can even say why him/her that is being prosecuted since they are not the one that has the longest armed robbery careers or the biggest robbery loot in a single operation.

It is selective justice until we catch all the armed robbers.  grin
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by JaaizTech: 6:15pm On Oct 09, 2010
Sagamite:

Can you please explain.  shocked
invisible!:

What good intentions? Are you saying that because there many thieves walking freely on Nigerian road; then any thief caught should be let go. It is not a question of being too rich, it is a question of twisting the books to her own advantage; she used depositors money illegally to her advantage, she lied about the status of the bank while she was milking it dry. Can you imagine what would have happened to millions of Nigerians that were banking with Oceanic had CBN let this go on till the bank crashes under her own weight?This was what happened to SGBN; Saraki was milking the bank for his own gain, CBN tuned a blind eye and depositors were the ones that suffered.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by naijaking1: 6:16pm On Oct 09, 2010
@Kulutempa
"Kafanchan,  I have to step in here because you are beginning to insult the intelligence of people on this site.   I am a lawyer and I can tell you for nothing that there would have be no reason for Mrs Ibru to have entered into a plea bargain to surrender assets worth 150 billion naira which she acquired lawfully unless she is mad in which case she would not have been fit to plead.   I really think you are trying to defend the indefensible here and it would be best if you gave it a rest."

I'm happy we have a lawyer on board!
Unlike many people here who don't understand the need to prosecute/ convict before sentencing an individual accussed of a crime, I know you'll undersatnd the need to go through a formal trial before calling for someone to be shot at sight.

Even though we know that the lady had a plea bargain, you might also know that many factors lead people to plea bargain. One of those factors is the person's mental and physical health and the potential to accomplish some life goals.

Mrs Ibru is sick and dying, and while her plea remains a consituted court evidence, let's not loose sight of the bigger picture which is how to improve our financial, legal, and economic systems.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by invisible2(m): 6:24pm On Oct 09, 2010
okay, no need arguing a bad case. Let us hope that things will get better and that her arrest will add value to the system. Ciao.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by 1United1: 6:45pm On Oct 09, 2010
Before we crucify her, let us bear these points in mind.

1. Does it mean there is no legitimate wealth acquired by her? As we one can see that all she had laboured for in life are all listed here including her present residence as illegal wealth.

2. Let us also remember that she is a business woman just like Dangote, Otedola, Jimoh Balogun et al. Though one may argue that her own line of business is in delicate sector of the economy.

3. she can still avail herself the remaining legal windows which is by appealing.

4. Lastly how can one solve this riddle for me? Does it mean the MDs of FirstBank, Zenith Bank, UBA, Diamond bank, GTBank etc are all innocent of these crime no matter how little? Because almost all of them were all over the place chasing one award and another while their individual banks were melting.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Parnassuss(m): 6:50pm On Oct 09, 2010
Pat Etteh, Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke, Daisy Danjuma (for a brief while), Dora Akunyili (as info minister) and now Cecilia Ibru.
Women were once thought to be the missing component to fix the effed up Nigerian machinery but they seem to be just as screwed as the male counterparts. Then again these women usually have their husbands in on the take too.
The punishment is too mild. Even writing out such a long list with INTENT to steal should carry a life sentence.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by JaaizTech: 6:54pm On Oct 09, 2010
1 United:

1. Does it mean there is no legitimate wealth acquired by her? As we one can see that all she had laboured for in life are all listed here including her present residence as illegal wealth.

2. Let us also remember that she is a business woman just like Dangote, Otedola, Jimoh Balogun et al. Though one may argue that her own line of business is in delicate sector of the economy.

3. she can still avail herself the remaining legal windows which is by appealing.

4. Lastly how can one solve this riddle for me? Does it mean the MDs of FirstBank, Zenith Bank, UBA, Diamond bank, GTBank etc are all innocent of these crime no matter how little? Because almost all of them were all over the place chasing one award and another while their individual banks were melting.

No. I don't think it is all she has laboured for in her life that is being listed. It is just some of it; perhaps the ones she couldn't account for or the ones directly linked to her illicit business practices. Lets call a spade a spade. Why do you think MDS in GTB, Diamond, first Bank etc are all culpable Any evidences or is it just based on mere conjectures?? And even if they were does that make her less deserving of a higher jail term. It is a bitter pill to swallow I know. Just accept it. Case dismiss.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 7:14pm On Oct 09, 2010
1 United:

You honestly think she would forgo more than she stole?

Maybe the forgoing of her present residence is to cover for the stolen money she has already spent on luxuries and maybe tomboys that are willing to service her obese arse for money.

1 United:

She is a business woman and so?

That justifies her stealing?

What was your point?

1 United:

Are you a comedian?

She would go to court to appeal a plea-bargain she agreed to? grin

WTF? Which law school did you go to? grin grin grin grin

1 United:

Amsorry?

Please explain how chasing awards means someone must have been acting illegally.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 7:19pm On Oct 09, 2010
naijaking1:

I'm happy we have a lawyer on board!
Unlike many people here who don't understand the need to prosecute/ convict before sentencing an individual accussed of a crime, I know you'll undersatnd the need to go through a formal trial before calling for someone to be shot at sight.

Even though we know that the lady had a plea bargain, you might also know that many factors lead people to plea bargain. One of those factors is the person's mental and physical health and the potential to accomplish some life goals.

Mrs Ibru is sick and dying, and while her plea remains a consituted court evidence, let's not loose sight of the bigger picture which is how to improve our financial, legal, and economic systems.

Mrs Ibru is sick and dying?

That is news to me? Can you enlighten me?

She was ok before but started to die once she was caught last year August?
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by LadyT(f): 7:20pm On Oct 09, 2010
This is madness!  angry

Are they even sure they have found all her dirty money the stupid evil witch. Im sure there is more hidden away.

She needs more than 6months but to be honest I think stripping her of every penny she owes would be the best thing.

Fat greedy cow has apprantly been moved to hospital where they are leaving her till she is well enough to go back to prison rubbish!
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by LadyT(f): 7:27pm On Oct 09, 2010
1 united are you related to fat arse cow?
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by KnowAll(m): 7:32pm On Oct 09, 2010
So the Anti-Sanusi guys are a bit  silent here

The fact is,  this is one conviction in a motley crew of uncountable undesirables. Soludo's head should also be on the block too, the auditors who passed those accounts as healthy should be sentenced too. If the other fraudsters cannot be apprehended then justice as we see it today has not being served adequately, we might as well release Madame Ibru,  after all her Bank started as a private concern and the other co-collaborators in this fraud of the century are no where to be found. The dividends and the largesse of this grand larceny are still enjoyed by certain individuals in our society today,  we should not pretend or turn a blind eye to this obvious fact.

I know Oceanic Bank now,  is a stock market listed company today,  and a private concern argument cannot be sustanable, but let us cast our minds to the goings in NSE, another umpire in these rather strange tale of Gluttonic disemboweling, that organisation has also been overwhealmed with fraud and corruption, why hold one of the actors in this unsavoury melee of financial misappropiation and leave the others to enjoy their loot.

Selective justice has always been the bane of our society, and I don't see us correcting this skewd judicial system now OR in the nearest future.  
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 7:36pm On Oct 09, 2010
KnowAll:

after all her Bank started as a private concern and the other co-collaborators in this fraud of the century are no where to be found.

Amsorry!

So it is OK (or more acceptable) for private banks' management to spend depositors' money as they wish?
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 09, 2010
What a hole kinda nose,  Wicked, greedy ugly old b1tch of a woman.

Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by sofymoore(m): 7:44pm On Oct 09, 2010
six month is not just enough. how can 1 persn own those properties. just too bad
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by KnowAll(m): 7:45pm On Oct 09, 2010
Amsorry!

So it is OK (or more acceptable) for private banks' management to spend depositors' money as they wish?

I have already put paid to that argument, the Bank is no more a private Bank since it has been listed in the NSE. I would not answer an hypothetical question since it is has no relevance to what we are discussing in this thread.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 7:48pm On Oct 09, 2010
KnowAll:

I have already put paid to that argument, the Bank is no more a private Bank since it has been listed in the NSE. I would not answer an hypothetical question since it is has no relevance to what we are discussing in this thread.

No, the point is not whether it is now listed or not.

The point is your allusion that it is not (or less of) a crime if the same was done in a privately held bank.

The philosophy (which you further proffered when you said it is now listed) is what my question is about.

Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by OmoTier1(m): 7:55pm On Oct 09, 2010
IT IS NOT THE SIX MONTHS THAT IS THE ISSUE, THIS WOMAN IS A DYING SOULD WITH MASSIVE HEART PROBLEM AND SHE WILL NOT LIVE LONGER THAN NECESSARY.

AND MIND YOU, SHE IS NOW A CONVICT AND ALL OVER THE WORLD SHE WOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH BY ANY DECENT GOVERNMENT. GIVING HER LONG JAIL TERM MAY SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHER LOOTERS BUT MOST OF US FORGET THAT THESE PEOPLE DO WHAT THEY DO BEST (i.e LOOTING) 'COS OF THE ENDLESS NUMBERS OF SECRET SOCIETY WHICH THEY BELONG AND THEY ARE OFTEN PROMISED IN THER GATHERINGS THAT NOBODY CAN TOUCH THEM 'COS OF THIER MEMBERSHIP OF THE SECRET SOCIETY!

LASTLY, LETS NOT FORGET THAT EFCC CN STILL APPEAL HER TERMS OF SENTENCING AT A HIGHER COURT OR EVEN PRAY THE COURT TO REVIEW HER SENTENCES SHOULD THEY FIND OUT OTHER COUNT CHARGES AGAINST WHICH SHE MIGHT EASILY BE CONVICTED.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by KnowAll(m): 7:57pm On Oct 09, 2010
No, the point is not whether it is now listed or not.

The point is your allusion that it is not (or less of) a crime if the same was done in a privately held bank.

The philosophy is what my question is about.

The operation of private Banks is shreded in secrecy, the word private in its conotations means what it says, to start with nobody know u are a depositor except the bank, so the idea of  u screaming blue-murder when u lose your deposit would not be entertained. You cannot lose what u don't have in the first place.   look oh boy, this is  uncharted territory to people like u and I don't want to bore u with things u don't know. Let us keep to the Ibru story.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 7:59pm On Oct 09, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

IT IS NOT THE SIX MONTHS THAT IS THE ISSUE, THIS WOMAN IS A DYING SOULD WITH MASSIVE HEART PROBLEM AND SHE WILL NOT LIVE LONGER THAN NECESSARY.

Where are you all getting this "she is dying soon" from?

Can anyone highlight me?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Digital Loan Sharks: Shaming, Recovery Techniques Pushing Nigerians To The Brink / Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution / Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.