Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,236 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? (111483 Views)

Why Do Muslims Face The East ? / Why Do Muslims Face Mecca When Praying? / Why Do Muslims Face The Moon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 1:30pm On May 17, 2007
nasnas:

Some graduates in this naija know little or notin about bible and yet dey r pastor y?

Can you then tell us how much you know about the Bible?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by FACE(m): 1:50pm On May 17, 2007
Everyone looking towards the east, west, north and south may be looking towards the same direction but not the same geographical location.

If the objective  is to face Ka'aba, then everyone's east cannot be towards Ka'aba. For some it may be south east, North West etc.

Everyone on the same latitude as Ka'aba would be facing Ka'aba technically if they face east or west. Time would decrease as you head west from Ka'aba and fall again on the same line as you approach the eastern flank of Ka'aba.

For those on higher or lower longitude as Ka'aba, they can look east or west all they like and would not be facing (looking towards) Ka'aba.

Religion entails some discipline. Some actions are usually inexplicable but then, the members are quite happy to go along with the dictates of their religion. Muslims use Tesbiu (spelling ?) for their prayers and the Catholics use Rosaries.

I am not in a position to criticise other peoples religion, however I believe that religion should be a tool of love. Love for God and His creation. It should not breed hate or destruction.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by nossycheek(f): 1:58pm On May 17, 2007
FACE:

Everyone looking towards the east, west, north and south may be looking towards the same direction but not the same geographical location.

If the objective is to face Ka'aba, then everyone's east cannot be towards Ka'aba. For some it may be south east, North West etc.

Everyone on the same latitude as Ka'aba would be facing Ka'aba technically if they face east or west. Time would decrease as you head west from Ka'aba and fall again on the same line as you approach the eastern flank of Ka'aba.

For those on higher or lower longitude as Ka'aba, they can look east or west all they like and would not be facing (looking towards) Ka'aba.

Religion entails some discipline. Some actions are usually inexplicable but then, the members are quite happy to go along with the dictates of their religion. Muslims use Tesbiu (spelling ?) for their prayers and the Catholics use Rosaries.

I am not in a position to criticise other peoples religion, however I believe that religion should be a tool of love. Love for God and His creation. It should not breed hate or destruction.

I beg tell them, may be MO had no knowledge of geography when he instructed them to face ka'aba or worst still his followers comprehendeth him not. cool
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 2:01pm On May 17, 2007
@topic,

Following the questions I asked earlier, could Muslims please take a look at the following and then explicate them for us:

Qur'an 2:115
And to Allâh belong the east and the west, so wherever you turn yourselves or your faces
there is the Face of Allâh (and He is High above, over His Throne). Surely! Allâh is All-Sufficient
for His creatures' needs, All-Knowing. [Hilali-Khan]

To Allah belong the east and the West: Whithersoever ye turn, there is the presence of Allah.
For Allah is all-Pervading, all-Knowing. [YusufAli]

That being the case, why then is the east emphasized?

Qur'an 2:177
It is not Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, and each and every act of obedience to Allâh, etc.) that
you turn your faces towards east and (or) west (in prayers); but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the
one who believes in Allâh, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth,
. . . [Hilali-Khan]

It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness-
to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend
of your substance, . . . [YusufAli]

This said, what is so important then about the east, if it is not righteousness to face that direction when praying?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 17, 2007
The greatest miracle would be finding a muslim who can confidently explain WHY he faces east when praying according to the quran without having to go ferreting for illogical articles from the internet.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by mukina2: 2:18pm On May 17, 2007
davidylan:

The greatest miracle would be finding a muslim who can confidently explain WHY he faces east when praying according to the quran without having to go ferreting for illogical articles from the internet.

ww face the east cuz the Ka'ba is in the east angry cheesy
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 17, 2007
some prayers that allah could not hear.

Muslim arrestees held in a windowless cell in The Hague have been praying West instead of East, facing Washington DC instead of Mecca. The Dutch press agency ANP revealed today that the compass which the Dutch police painted on the ceiling of the cells in the Segbroek police station to enable Muslim criminals to pray towards Mecca pointed in the wrong, opposite, direction. A police spokesman said a mistake had been made. The mistake has meanwhile been rectified.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by nasnas(m): 2:42pm On May 17, 2007
TellyB! easy now. i didnt say i want u 2 knw hw much i knw abt bible, bt y is dis thing happening. make ur submission if u knw.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 17, 2007
mukina2:

ww face the east because the Ka'ba is in the east angry cheesy

Seriously muki  muki when you have to go real bad and find the nearest public toilet,are you telling me you first have to bring out a compass and find out where mecca is so as not to face it?
I guess you've never had diarrhoea before!
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 2:59pm On May 17, 2007
mukina2:

ww face the east because the Ka'ba is in the east angry cheesy

That being the case, please can you take a look at the following maps and then answer the following questions:

The geographic location of Mecca in Saudi Arabia

Latitudinal and Longitudinal Positions

Map of the World Spread Out:

Arrows:

Facing EAST     ====>>                              <<==== Facing WEST

------------------------------------------

Now questions: (please see direction of arrows above)

#1. If a muslim in North America faces the direction of Mecca, is he or she facing EAST or WEST

#2. If another Muslim in Australia faces the direction of Mecca, is he or she facing WEST or EAST

#3. What about yet another Muslim in South Africa facing the direction of Mecca, is he or she facing NORTH, SOUTH, or EAST

While you're on those, could you please explain for us what we should understand by the following seeming inconsistencies in Muhammad's lifestyle? (please, I said "seeming". . . until you find answers, thank you):

Abu-Dawud, Book 1, Number  0010
Narrated Ma'qil ibn AbuMa'qil al-Asadi: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) has
forbidden us to face the two qiblahs at the time of urination or excretion.

Abu-Dawud, Book 1, Number  0013
Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah: The Prophet of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) forbade us to face
the qiblah at the time of making water. (that is, "urinating" - my note)
Then I saw him facing it (qiblah) urinating or easing himself one year before his death.

What are we to understand from these two records in your holy books??  Thank you.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 17, 2007
FACE:

If the objective  is to face Ka'aba, then everyone's east cannot be towards Ka'aba. For some it may be south east, North West etc.

That is my point exactly.
Muslims all over the world may be facing east but they are not all facing the Kaabah,for some the kabaah is south,for others it is north.
It is just elementary common sense.

Isn't it sad to note that plenty of them have been releasing their number 2 in the direction of kaabah all this while grin grin
Secondly how about when you guys fart,I mean pass gas,do you have to turn North or south and how do you control the direction the wind blows the odor grin grin

Thanks Tellyb for that geographical expose,that's what I've been looking for let's find out those who've been facing south and never knew it!!
I was not a geography student.
N gwa babs,your smarts are needed now!! grin grin
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by mukina2: 3:03pm On May 17, 2007
Babyosisi we'll fight now o
we are talking of prayer and not going to the toilet cheesy

Tellyb we face the east cheesy whats the drawing for  
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 17, 2007
mukina2:

It is plain common sense! Look at the map! When you are praying in Salone, does your own east face the ka'aba?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 3:07pm On May 17, 2007
mukina2:

To illustrate that Muslims simply have their geography wrong and mixed up!! Which would mean again that something is terribly wrong with a confused system that this thread is discussing.  smiley

And when you study the drawings again, can you please answer the 3 questions that follow?

Hugs.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 17, 2007
I see the smart ones rearranging their toilets grin grin
muki we no go fight.
nobody is telling you to change directions but just understand that you may be facing Gombe that's all. grin grin
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by omoge(f): 3:13pm On May 17, 2007
I have lived with muslims, I couldn't ask them this question cuz of fatwa  undecided but how do they know where the East is? they don't have compass. I'm sure they facing East Nigeria cuz i don't understand how someone will be in nigeria and face East of mecca, how do they do it or know?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by omoge(f): 3:14pm On May 17, 2007
deleted
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 3:16pm On May 17, 2007
Okay, then take a look again at the first map. Carefully, please.

#4. If a muslim was standing in Sudan, he/she would be facing Mecca, yes??
Now, what direction would another Muslim face when standing in any of the following places:

(a) Harad, Saudi Arabia

(b) Doha, Qatar

(c) Sana.

Would these all be facing EAST??

@nasnas,
Apologies, I didn't mean it to sound the way it came across!
smiley
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 17, 2007
and yet allah is alleged to be "all knowing" . . .
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 17, 2007
omoge:

I have lived with muslims, I couldn't ask them this question because of fatwa undecided but how do they know where the East is? they don't have compass. I'm sure they facing East Nigeria because i don't understand how someone will be in nigeria and face East of mecca, how do they do it or know?

Some may have been facing Ehime Mbano grin grin
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 3:28pm On May 17, 2007
davidylan:

and yet allah is alleged to be "all knowing" . . .

Well, it all depends on the context in which the word "East" is used; and I would really appreciate answers from them.

The reason why I still have my doubts is because most English translations of the Qur'an speak of "two Easts" --

Qur'an 55:17 -- "(He is) Lord of the two easts and Lord of the two Wests" [YusufAli tr.]

In anycase, what are we to learn from the questions about facing the east from all parts of the world?
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by nossycheek(f): 3:38pm On May 17, 2007
Very amusing yet interesting topic.

So for me to be a muslim, I must face particular direction when farting etc. That one for be wahala because na Mecca I for dey send all the missiles emanating from my ass to  grin

Babyosisi, you no go kill person ooo
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 17, 2007
nossycheek,I just extrapolated on the farting aspect.
I figured since they face away fro mecca while on the loo why should they face mecca and pass gas,after all they are all waste materials grin grin
since you want to send your ballistic missiles to Mecca,you better order a compass so you don't miss and send it to Medina grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by funkelola(f): 4:02pm On May 17, 2007
IGNORANCE!
Dont think we should really poke our nose into issues we no nothing about ,rather ask questions in a matured way.
I dont think this forum should be an avenue to rebuke other people's religion.davidylan or whatever he calls himself went as far as saying Allah is alleged to be the "all knowing".For goodness sake,we should learn to mind our words especially when it has to do with the ALMIGHTY.

we are all practising what we are been born into.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 4:10pm On May 17, 2007
funkelola:

IGNORANCE!
Dont think we should really poke our nose into issues we no nothing about ,rather ask questions in a matured way.

I trust my questions were worded maturely. Is that IGNORANCE, too? cheesy

funkelola:

I don't think this forum should be an avenue to rebuke other people's religion.

We've heard this one too many times, but was that not rather meant for your Muslim fellows?

funkelola:

davidylan or whatever he calls himself went as far as saying Allah is alleged to be the "all knowing".

Is it true or not that the Qur'an describes him as such? I already gave the texts, and here again:

"all-knowing" and "all-wise":
Qur'an An-Nisa 4:11: ". . .These are settled portions ordained by Allah; and Allah is all-knowing, All-wise." || Qur'an An-Nisa 4:170: ". . .to Allah belong all things in the heavens and on earth: And Allah is all-knowing, All-wise."

See it here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-48380.128.html#msg1123113

funkelola:

For goodness sake,we should learn to mind our words especially when it has to do with the ALMIGHTY.

I hope the Muslims on the Forum would take a hint.

funkelola:

I don't think anyone should be practising IGNORANCE - I wasn't born into that!! cheesy
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 4:21pm On May 17, 2007
funkelola:

IGNORANCE!
I don't think this forum should be an avenue to rebuke other people's religion.davidylan or whatever he calls himself went as far as saying Allah is alleged to be the "all knowing".For goodness sake,we should learn to mind our words especially when it has to do with the ALMIGHTY.

Yes ma!
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by mhykkell: 4:28pm On May 17, 2007
I assure U that this arguement can continue 4ever. The more U make the Muslims see reason, the more they are so sure and firm and convinced that we're the confused ones.

Bible tells us that none can come unto Him except He draws. Dont do God's work! You'll  only end up spoilling it. God in His infinite mercies can decide to draw these same Muslims to Himself and they become better and stronger Christians than U all.

So what da heck about who faces where and who faces what? God remains God!
babyosisi U no go kill person O! I lov your jokes.
TellyB about directing your fart to Mecca---Na only God go 4giv U.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 4:30pm On May 17, 2007
funkelola:

IGNORANCE!

The usual appologetic response. Ignorance in terms of what? Are we any more ignorant than those of you who pray facing east without proper knowledge of your geography textbook? If indeed this is ignorance, what have you done to enlighten us?

funkelola:

I'm sure we have asked questions maturedly, we are also waiting for "mature" answers rather than vague rebukes!

funkelola:

I don't think this forum should be an avenue to rebuke other people's religion.

Neither do i think it is proper for your quran to rebuke other people's religion, calling them apes and pigs while screaming for their heads to be stricken off!

funkelola:

davidylan or whatever he calls himself went as far as saying Allah is alleged to be the "all knowing".

Did allah not call himself the "all-knowing"? Did he forget to use his compass when he told you all to face east regardless of your location of the globe?

funkelola:

For goodness sake,we should learn to mind our words especially when it has to do with the ALMIGHTY.

Tell that to your muslim ummah!

funkelola:

Common sense dictates that we do not merely practice "what we were born to" in ignorance.
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by TellyB(m): 5:05pm On May 17, 2007
mhykkell:

I assure U that this arguement can continue 4ever. The more U make the Muslims see reason, the more they are so sure and firm and convinced that we're the confused ones.

There are Muslims who have come to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ from what they have read on the net, debates they have listened to on media, and discussions they have had face to face with people.

mhykkell:

Bible tells us that none can come unto Him except He draws. Dont do God's work! You'll only end up spoilling it.

Whose works are outlined in the following verses? --

1 Pet 3:15-16
"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ."

Psa 119:46 - "I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed."

Matt. 10:19 - "But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak."

Mark 13:11 - "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost."

So, whose work is it to speak what we have been given?? undecided

mhykkell:

God in His infinite mercies can decide to draw these same Muslims to Himself and they become better and stronger Christians than U all.

Amen. I don't mind how you measure that - so long as they be saved!!

mhykkell:

So what da heck about who faces where and who faces what? God remains God!
babyosisi U no go kill person O! I lov your jokes.

Actually, ask what is in the Kaa'ba, and then you will know "what the heck" it is all about! cheesy

mhykkell:

TellyB about directing your fart to Mecca---Na only God go 4giv U.

Well, I'm so lucky my head isn't chopped off already - especially as I don't remember having said any such thing. God bless you. smiley
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 17, 2007
allahu akhbar grin grin
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by simmy(m): 6:28pm On May 17, 2007
u nairaland people sef u like wahala, if muslims want to fac eeast how your own be
obvioulsy the original muslims prayed facing their east and the practise spread as habit, y do xtians tend to clasp their hands or close their eyes when they pray it just tradition!!! y do we celebrate xmas at 25th dec tradition!!! y do women cover their heads in most churches, tradition!!! so y do muslims face east tradiition!!
Re: Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 17, 2007
simmy:

u nairaland people sef u like wahala, if muslims want to fac eeast how your own be
obvioulsy the original muslims prayed facing their east and the practise spread as habit, y do xtians tend to clasp their hands or close their eyes when they pray it just tradition!!! y do we celebrate xmas at 25th dec tradition!!! y do women cover their heads in most churches, tradition!!! so y do muslims face east tradiition!!

Ignorance is not an excuse for lazy scholarship. Do muslims really face east because of "tradition"?

Qu'ran [2:144] We have seen you turning your face about the sky (searching for the right direction). We now assign a Qiblah that is pleasing to you. Henceforth, you shall turn your face towards the Sacred Masjid. Wherever you may be, all of you shall turn your faces towards it. Those who received the previous scripture know that this is the truth from their Lord. GOD is never unaware of anything they do.

[2:150] Wherever you go, you shall turn your face (during Salat) towards the Sacred Masjid; wherever you might be, you shall turn your faces (during Salat) towards it. Thus, the people will have no argument against you, except the transgressors among them. Do not fear them, and fear Me instead. I will then perfect My blessings upon you, that you may be guided.

The quran EXPRESSLY commands "believers" to pray facing the direction of the Qiblah! That does not sound like something that "spread like a habit".

Where in the bible are we told to pray with our eyes closed, hands clasped or celebrate Dec 25?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Prayers For Couples Trying To Conceive A Child (TTC) / The Nafilat In The Night Of Ramadan / Shaykh Adam Abdullah Al-ilory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.