Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,228 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:59 AM

Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans (48708 Views)

3 Americans Dead, As Plane Crashes Into House In Ukraine (Pix, Video) / COVID-19: No Entry For Nigerians, Americans Into Europe / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 8:08pm On Aug 31, 2019
adonainana:

I repeat anyone in the UK on a £60,000 takes home only £3000 per month ( The tax band for earners between earning between £46,000 to £150,000 comes in between 40 %) There is no escaping it, its a matter of legislation put down in law.

The only way you can avoid paying your tax in the UK is if you illegally use someones else National Insurance No similar to the Social Security Number in the USA.

Please ask your auditors, engineers friends that would they mind telling me thier Tax code as written on thier monthly payslips, i will tell them how much they earn monthly, they will think i am a sorcerer.

I repeat the net pay ( the final money that goes into your account if you are on a £60,000 salary ) is £3000.

£3,000 is not a lot of money, infact people like that will still end up Paying bills and just dying like that.

I never said Majority of Nigerians are living better than Majority of people living in the west.

My point was in my 11 years of living in the west, i have seen Middle class UK people being unable to afford what Midlle Class Nigerians can afford

Even if we use the example of this your auditor friend you claim earns £60,000. He is a very high extremely high earner by UK standards, he is not even Middle class by UK standards. Yet all he earns after tax is just £3,000 ( 1.5 million naira per month )

How does it sound that someone classed as a High earner earns what most Middle class Nigerians make per month. Hope you have started to understand where i am coming from

More or less this your auditor friend, he has not even deducted his rent, car, petrol, etc etc from this net pay of £3,000 he has just made.

So sir do you see where i am coming from, this your £60,000 friend is actually poor if we look deep down at it constructively sir

You see this hospital this, this good road that, please just leave it to one side cos i wonder where on the planet are there not roads and hospitals

You have a point. Not only that, the 9ja guy will have two maids, a driver, gateman, while the UK guy can’t even afford a maid

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by adonainana: 8:08pm On Aug 31, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
am sorry to opinion is wack cos your went their to hammer ( najia mentality) not to live in decency....how is it an achievement to live all your life paying rent and agents in Nigeria for 35 years then retire to a miserable pension,Nigeria has 17m housing deficit with plenty Neigbour hood looking like war zone and unfit for humanity .....i rather live 30 years paying mortgage in an organised setting than 35 years paying rent or setup criminal activity to hammer to own a house.....the Nigeria state is holding meetings for 3 years to pay a minimum wage 70 pounds to million of worker on level 1 to 7

If i went to hammer, try asking any relative you have in the UK to send you 10,000 naira now ( tell them a lie that something bad happened to you ) and tell the same to a relative in nigeria that you need 10,000 naira now that something happened to you. Note down the differences between the two people you have asked money from and reflect on it.

Perhaps you are right, you can get your mortgage and owe the bank a stipulated money for the next 30 years with the amount also rises with inflation.

But here is the catch ooo, nothing must happen to you within that 30 years ooo, Infact just make sure you are dead as opposed toyou leaving your job, travelling abroad or doing anything unreasonable within the next 30 years from date you start paying back your mortgage

Bro trust me, so many people are trapped in this type of mortgage situation, only when you see it for yourself can you believe me.

Not every one is doing fraud in Nigeria either, I sincerly hope you understand where i am coming from

Also i forgot to mention the house you will be borrowing from the bank here in the UK to buy with a mortgage payable over 30 years would and can only resemble what some people use as thier BOYS QUARTER back in Nigeria.

In other words, you borrowed £300000 payable back over 30 years to live in a House that is not even up to the size of the average size of the smallest Nigerian homes. lol

But at least you will have good roads and hospitals and schools abi,

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by sencekompis: 8:09pm On Aug 31, 2019
The poor or normal western European are far better than the richest Nigerians. AMERICAN?? HMMMM Hellvete Americannana.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Ugosample(m): 8:10pm On Aug 31, 2019
this one must be a senseless soul lmao
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by blackboy(m): 8:11pm On Aug 31, 2019
The Western media spew trash like this to discourage people from migrating to the West.

When I travel what brings me back is what i got going on. But in reality standard of living there is 1m x better than here.

I worked from there and was able to say my work was better so much conducive environment.

I know ppl who are not poor in Nigeria and are okay by any standards go there and they dont come back. Why? They have seen the 2 and have a choice and made a choice based on the 2 experiences.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by MobilityExpress: 8:14pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
lies! NIGERIA is producing the highest number of dollar millionaires in the world as we speak. Only lazy people dont make it here. On every single street in Nigeria there is a multi-millionaire. The average Nigeria now build two houses in course of a lifetime while most Americans will die in debt

Nigeria is producing the highest number of millionaires in the world today, shocked omg, continue plucking fake statistics from thin air. Millionaires from yahoo yahoo or millionaires from politics? A country like Nigeria where there is huge gap in wealth distribution, where about 1% control everything, maybe 90% have nothing tangible to hold and probably the less than 10% so called middle class are struggling everyday for scraps that fall from the 1%. This same Nigeria that one person can own 300 houses, $40m jewelry, and have billions, doesn't equate to everyone else living that life or having it. A country where the unemployment statistics are so high, yet you say people are building houses. Can you even compare the population ratio of tenants to landlords? If not that Nigerians have a very strong will to survive and succeed, do you think this country is the source of their progress? No, it's the individual fighting spirit, and that's why our society is molded in a model of every man for himself. Individual willpower is what gets people going to reach the top and achieve their goals, it has nothing to do with the country. That's why many responsible Nigerians prosper wherever they find themselves in civilized countries abroad or push and push hard till they can win if they find themselves in not so conducive environment like Nigeria.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by TGMISKY(m): 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2019
People (wailers) would turn a blind eye to this kind of report (albeit an opinion) and dwell on reports (which are also opinions as no proper research was done) that give out Nigeria as the poorest, dirtiest, hungriest country in the world.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by okeniti: 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2019
I would still choose NGN360,000 monthly salary in Nigeria over $2000 monthly salary in USA, at this stage in my life as a single man. Weigh up pros and cons then after proper research and if USA makes sense, go. If not, stay in Nigeria make it work.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 31, 2019
VeeVeeMyLuv:
must an average Nigerian be working for an international organization before he can live a decent life? Haba

Actually YES. That is the only way.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 8:21pm On Aug 31, 2019
adonainana:
I lived in the UK for 10 years, I agree i think only when you think carefully and deeply would you appreciate some countries and some ways of life. Here in the UK, I found out that there are only 2 achievements the average man can achieve. The first is getting a Mortgage and the second is passing your driving test .

I couldnt tell how many of my friends celebrated these two major achievements year in year out

People of God, how is borrowing £300,000 (150 million naira) from a bank and paying it monthly back over 30 years an achievement ni tori olorun. How is that an achievement ?

How is passing your driving test where you will end up taking more of your disposable income an achievement for Heaven sake.

After 11 years in the Uk, i decided it was time to call it quit.

Some people will simply pay bills and die in the west and will even be owing funeral tax by the time there reletives want to bury.

The good roads, schools, water etc is an illusion, there are good schools everywhere on the planet. There are equally good roads everywhere on the planet

The Uk an US are extremely useless countries to be in sometimes

This is my opinon sha

Funny but somewhat true sha. U can be extremely unhappy anywhere. U can also be “trapped” anywhere including 9ja. Timesup234 agrees with u
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 8:23pm On Aug 31, 2019
truthsayer009:

Actually YES. That is the only way.

Not true. All these Ibo $ millionaires nko

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by abbey621(m): 8:23pm On Aug 31, 2019
adonainana:

I repeat anyone in the UK on a £60,000 takes home only £3000 per month ( The tax band for earners between earning between £46,000 to £150,000 comes in between 40 %) There is no escaping it, its a matter of legislation put down in law.

The only way you can avoid paying your tax in the UK is if you illegally use someones else National Insurance No similar to the Social Security Number in the USA.

Please ask your auditors, engineers friends that would they mind telling me thier Tax code as written on thier monthly payslips, i will tell them how much they earn monthly, they will think i am a sorcerer.

I repeat the net pay ( the final money that goes into your account if you are on a £60,000 salary ) is £3000.

£3,000 is not a lot of money, infact people like that will still end up Paying bills and just dying like that.

I never said Majority of Nigerians are living better than Majority of people living in the west.

My point was in my 11 years of living in the west, i have seen Middle class UK people being unable to afford what Midlle Class Nigerians can afford

Even if we use the example of this your auditor friend you claim earns £60,000. He is a very high extremely high earner by UK standards, he is not even Middle class by UK standards. Yet all he earns after tax is just £3,000 ( 1.5 million naira per month )

How does it sound that someone classed as a High earner earns what most Middle class Nigerians make per month. Hope you have started to understand where i am coming from

More or less this your auditor friend, he has not even deducted his rent, car, petrol, etc etc from this net pay of £3,000 he has just made.

So sir do you see where i am coming from, this your £60,000 friend is actually poor if we look deep down at it constructively sir

You see this hospital this, this good road that, please just leave it to one side cos i wonder where on the planet are there not roads and hospitals

I still think you are talking about anormalies and not the general average, someone making 3000 pounds a month in the UK can live like someone in Ikoyi or Lekki and not have to pay for their own security. Even at 3000 pounds when converted to Naira equals over 1.2 million Naira per month, I've yet to see majority of middle class Nigerians making that much in a month, even the ones that manage to come close to it are still lamenting the lack of adequate ammenities, I don't know what you mean by middle class but middle class in Nigeria usually makes less than 2000 pounds per month, you can ask around....lol. You said where on earth are there no good roads or hospital? One question, have you been to 9ja lately? Try traveling from island to Badagry and see if you won't spend 4 to 6 hours on the road. God forbid you or your family ever encounter a medical emergency, that's when you'll know the difference between 9ja and abroad.

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Oszy: 8:24pm On Aug 31, 2019
Chill2:
Who cares about having plenty money in your bank account. Same reason why Africans dwell in corruption, everyone wants money to out shine the other. The essence of life is having access to what you need to be comfortable while alive. That is what the American society provides. It doesn't matter how much you have, no matter how much cash you have the end phase of life is death.

Brilliantly penned. A lot of Nigerians have the attitude of 'I pass my neighbor'.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Saintp(m): 8:27pm On Aug 31, 2019
Make this timesup234 no go kill himself for America and abroad matter ooo. I never seen somebody that is this bitter about something that is not his problem.
Over 20 threads lamenting about America, dem use America swear for this guy?

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by HBB1(m): 8:34pm On Aug 31, 2019
abbey621:

I still think you are talking about anormalies and not the general average, someone making 3000 pounds a month in the UK can live like someone in Ikoyi or Lekki and not have to pay for their own security. Even at 3000 pounds when converted to Naira equals over 1.2 million Naira per month, I've yet to see majority of middle class Nigerians making that much in a month, even the ones that manage to come close to it are still lamenting the lack of adequate ammenities, I don't know what you mean by middle class but middle class in Nigeria usually make less than 2000 pounds per month, you can ask your around....lol. You said where on earth are there no good roads or hospital? One question, have you been to 9ja lately? Try traveling from island to Badagry and see if you won't spend 4 to 6 hours on the road. God forbid you or your family ever encounter a medical emergency, that's when you'll know the difference between 9ja and abroad.

I don't know where the salary of the Middle Class (in Nigeria) is 2000 pounds o!
Are you kidneying me! grin

A state Governor was complaining some days ago that his salary was 650k naira...

What they don't just understand is the UK seeks to have and has a large Middle Class, Nigeria on the other hand doesn't have one-- you are either rich or poor!

And may I say that 60k pounds is not a bad salary-- most people in the UK don't earn that much, and their quality of life is waaaaaaaay better than the average Nigerian's

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by ahiboilandgas: 8:38pm On Aug 31, 2019
adonainana:

If i went to hammer, try asking any relative you have in the UK to send you 10,000 naira now ( tell them a lie that something bad happened to you ) and tell the same to a relative in nigeria that you need 10,000 naira now that something happened to you. Note down the differences between the two people you have asked money from and reflect on it.

Perhaps you are right, you can get your mortgage and owe the bank a stipulated money for the next 30 years with the amount also rises with inflation.

But here is the catch ooo, nothing must happen to you within that 30 years ooo, Infact just make sure you are dead as opposed toyou leaving your job, travelling abroad or doing anything unreasonable within the next 30 years from date you start paying back your mortgage

Bro trust me, so many people are trapped in this type of mortgage situation, only when you see it for yourself can you believe me.

Not every one is doing fraud in Nigeria either, I sincerly hope you understand where i am coming from

Also i forgot to mention the house you will be borrowing from the bank here in the UK to buy with a mortgage payable over 30 years would and can only resemble what some people use as thier BOYS QUARTER back in Nigeria.

In other words, you borrowed £300000 payable back over 30 years to live in a House that is not even up to the size of the average size of the smallest Nigerian homes. lol

But at least you will have good roads and hospitals and schools abi,
.i get u points ...there is no perfect place but in Nigeria you can't even enjoy the wealth .I practically can't drive from kaduna to abuja cos of kidnapping , I have been runing gen for 12 hours daily despite living in my house worth over 100 k pounds,my Neigbour bought his house for 150k pounds and has one he'll of noisey generator that any time it on I have to lock all my windows to sleep ...i sank a bole worth 750k naira just to have water, I mark around 700 k monthly but u can't even enjoy the wealth ....the last time we hard duel scarcity we suffered

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by abbey621(m): 8:38pm On Aug 31, 2019
HBB1:

I don't know where the salary of the Middle Class (in Nigeria) is 2000 pounds o!
Are you kidneying me! grin

A state Governor was complaining some days ago that his salary was 650k naira...

What they don't just understand is the UK seeks to have and has a large Middle Class, Nigeria on the other hand doesn't have one-- you are either rich or poor!

And may I say that 60k pounds is not a bad salary-- most people in the UK don't earn that much, and their quality of life is waaaaaaaay better than the average Nigerian's

Lol.....I was trying to be generous, we all know how it goes in 9ja, salary + deals + side hustle, maybe if lucky it can reach 2000 pounds a month grin grin grin grin
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 8:39pm On Aug 31, 2019
Saintp:
Make this timesup234 no go kill himself for America and abroad matter ooo. I never seen somebody that is this bitter about something that is not his problem.
Over 20 threads lamenting about America, dem use America swear for this guy?

Lol, he has a point though. Every place has pros and cons. Some advantages are also disadvantages. Even constant electricity has serious disadvantages. Timesup234 u r becoming famous

5 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by ahiboilandgas: 8:43pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Lol, he has a point though. Every place has pros and cons. Some advantages are also disadvantages. Even constant electricity has serious disadvantages. Timesup234 u r becoming famous
I tire ooh kano,Katsina and jigawa have had no electricty supply for 9 day cos the distribution company kedco has been unable to pay for power supplied by genco..tell me wort sort of life is this if not wacked
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by alphaNomega: 8:44pm On Aug 31, 2019
BigBashiru:

Stop trying to justify the failures of a shithole country.. .. that all black majority countries are failures speaks I'll of the black man. Stop trying to excuse or justify the failure of Nigeria in having proper healthcare.

There is a public healthcare system where you are covered as a resident citizen and then there is private health insurance. Calling an ambulance is covered or at the very least subsidized under public health insurance. It's also covered under private. Nigger land countries are all fked up cos even the insurance companies won't pay for the ambulance even after u hv paid premium for years. And even when the ambulance is called the driver will be non chalant. The drivers / motorists won't clear for the ambulance to pass.

Black Africans just hide your faces in shame and stop trying to justify your glaring failures....

After going through my posts you think I am justifying a failed healthcarr system. Are you okay at all?

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Oszy: 8:44pm On Aug 31, 2019
abbey621:

Lol.....I was trying to be generous, we all know how it goes in 9ja, salary + deals + side hustle, maybe if lucky it can reach 2000 pounds a month grin grin grin grin

How many Nigerians earn 2,000 pounds a month? If 30% of Nigerians earn that monthly, no one will tag Nigeria poverty capital of the world.

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by planetx: 8:44pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Lol but not true. In US that woman will sue somebody and get millions. Besides all debt in US disappear after 7 years or u can declare bankruptcy and they disappear immediately like magic
And your credit will be ruined for those 7 years, you wouldn't be able to rent an apartment talkless of financing a car or mortgage.

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:46pm On Aug 31, 2019
Na wa oh, some people nor go school I swear
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 8:47pm On Aug 31, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
I tire ooh kano,Katsina and jigawa have had no electricty supply for 9 day cos the distribution company kedco has been unable to pay for power supplied by genco..tell me wort sort of life is this if not wacked

But people will adapt and may end up happier than those with electricity. Human beings are very adaptable.
Constant electricity is also not good.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by alphaNomega: 8:51pm On Aug 31, 2019
VeeVeeMyLuv:
must an average Nigerian be working for an international organization before he can live a decent life? Haba

That is what our economy has become.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by ahiboilandgas: 8:53pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

But people will adapt and may end up happier than those with electricity. Human beings are very adaptable.
Constant electricity is also not good.
tell hotel operators
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 8:53pm On Aug 31, 2019
planetx:
And your credit will be ruined for those 7 years, you wouldn't be able to rent an apartment talkless of financing a car or mortgage.

But who has credit in Naija. Who needs credit. U only need credit if u must borrow money and is borrowing money such a good thing? There are all sorts of ways to rent apartment or get anything if u have money

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by BigBashiru: 8:54pm On Aug 31, 2019
alphaNomega:

After going through my posts you think I am justifying a failed healthcarr system. Are you okay at all?

"Are you okay at all" is a personal question. The conversation is already getting personal so I'm out.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by alphaNomega: 8:56pm On Aug 31, 2019
BigBashiru:

"Are you okay at all" is a personal question. The conversation is already getting personal so I'm out.

Please stay away because you are unable to understand simple messages.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 8:59pm On Aug 31, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
tell hotel operators

They will procure solar, inverter, generator. Problem solved

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by abbey621(m): 9:06pm On Aug 31, 2019
Oszy:

How many Nigerians earn 2,000 pounds a month? If 30% of Nigerians earn that monthly, no one will tag Nigeria poverty capital of the world.

True!
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by SIRTee15: 9:15pm On Aug 31, 2019
adonainana:

1.5 million naira per month is huge....
Thats not a middle class income...
Most state commissioners, perm. Sec n even bank branch managers don't earn that...
Thats 18 million naira a year....
Common....
If u earn that amount, u be king...
3000 pounds per month is a good salary in uk....
Very good....
In my first year in uk I wasn't even earning up to that n I was able to complete my house in naija, buy landed property undeveloped lekki area all within 18 months....
And I was living fine in uk......
Pound is very powerful, no take small eye look am....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply)

Man Came Down From His Car And Started Dancing, After He Got Tired Of Traffic / The Bariga Waterfront Jetty And Ferries That Ambode Commissioned (Photos) / Why We Joined US, Canada Evacuation Trains — Dual-citizen Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.