Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,487 members, 7,816,150 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans (48705 Views)

3 Americans Dead, As Plane Crashes Into House In Ukraine (Pix, Video) / COVID-19: No Entry For Nigerians, Americans Into Europe / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 31, 2019
babaolofin:

Well , I don't know how old most of the people reading this posting were when Majek Fashek as the rave of the moment in the 90s traveled to New York. When he got there he became disappointed that on returning to Nigeria, he released a record "Majek Fashek in New York". That record said so many things. He said before he travelled, he thought America is Paradise on Earth but on getting there what he saw was confusion, beggars and so many things. Having released that record he should not have gone back again, that was the mistake that ruined him.

When majek made that statement, things were still relatively good in Nigeria, that album was close to 30 years ago.

Besides every country has poor people and beggars
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by salford1: 5:47pm On Aug 31, 2019
planetx:
Nothing like an American dream it is all a hoax. The term was originally meant for poor Europeans to come to America to get free Indian land and get African slave labor to build wealth in the 16th, 17th, 18th centuries before it was later repackaged and sold to third world immigrants.
These Nigerians are living their American dream.
They are just two out of thousands.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by KingAzubuike(f): 5:48pm On Aug 31, 2019
babaolofin:

Well , I don't know how old most of the people reading this posting were when Majek Fashek as the rave of the moment in the 90s traveled to New York. When he got there he became disappointed that on returning to Nigeria, he released a record "Majek Fashek in New York". That record said so many things. He said before he travelled, he thought America is Paradise on Earth but on getting there what he saw was confusion, beggars and so many things. Having released that record he should not have gone back again, that was the mistake that ruined him.
Lol the problem with you people is that you seem to generalize things. An American can visit ikoyi or banana island in Lagos and go back to tell his people Nigeria isn't that bad, people are living good. Another can land in makoko, mile 12 or ikotun or even nassarawa and maiduguri and go back to tell his people Nigeria is a very dirty country filled with filth and poverty and also filled with bandits and dry land.. Majek was probably at the wrong place at the wrong time grin. See everywhere can't be good, in any country on Earth, everywhere can't be 100% perfect. So always learn to see different perspectives before passing judgments. You can go to Michigan and come back to naija and say America is a poor country filled beggars and the media is just hyping them. Another person can travel to Las Vegas , Florida, Chicago or newyork and come back to give testimonies of how America is a beautiful country filled with sky scrappers and buildings towering into the heavens. It just depends on how we view things.

isthatso

14 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by wirinet(m): 5:48pm On Aug 31, 2019
opebiboy:
even before i open this post I knew you were going to park here. You are a clown. But on the real Americans are not rich, they just enjoy a better standard than us. I have been there and it was very far from what I expected. But your views are always to the extreme

Not every one enjoys a better standard than us. That only applies to the highly or moderate educated Americans. Poor and non college educated Americans have poor standard of living. Many Nigerians who go and are unable to work with their certificates have really tough lives. I know some people (graduates from Nigeria ) that do 2 to 3 jobs just to survive. One told me, 4 of them rented a self contain apartment, because the monthly rent for a self contains is as expensive as a yearly rent in a 3 bedroom apartment in a suburb in Lagos.

8 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by lereinter(m): 5:49pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
Yes everyone would love to live there until they get there and find out it is a mirage. The biggest shame will be leaving there without achieving anything. That's the shame over one million Nigerians are living with in America. They can't come back because they are stuck. If you ask Americans to pay cash for their cars 99% of them won't be able to afford it. Americans are broke and miserable and 95% of them will die in debt. If in 2019 Nigerians don't know an average Nigerian is richer than a middle class American then they are the dumbest donkey on earth

What are you implying

You are just an asshole, for posting rubbish

What are people achieving here that is their father land
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by katlord(m): 5:49pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
Yes everyone would love to live there until they get there and find out it is a mirage. The biggest shame will be leaving there without achieving anything. That's the shame over one million Nigerians are living with in America. They can't come back because they are stuck. If you ask Americans to pay cash for their cars 99% of them won't be able to afford it. Americans are broke and miserable and 95% of them will die in debt. If in 2019 Nigerians don't know an average Nigerian is richer than a middle class American then they are the dumbest donkey on earth

My bro, let's be realistic small naaaa. Nigeria get social welfare package for old, young, unemployed ?etc

Nigeria get mortgage available to all class of workers like America?

Nigeria get get opportunity like Americans hopping from one job to another or doing 4 jobs at the same time?

In short, can Nigeria including most african contries presently survive without American tech power?

Answer is a big fat NO!

5 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by linearity: 5:50pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:

[may contain lots of typos...]

Here they come with the false equivalency again!

Can we do some real comparison with data? First question, lets establish some baseline...who is an average Nigerian and how much does that individual earn, what industry does he or she works in, then use that data and march likes-for-likes with an average American.

E.g. Is that individual a graduate civil servant on grade level 08 in Nigeria, whose income is strictly from his salary, no bribe, kickbacks, no government diversions, etc; then compare that same individual base on education, level of experience, years in civil service to a similar individual working in America civil service either local, state or federal...Are you saying that the Nigerian living strictly on his salary with no other dishonest income source is better than the average America? You be the Judge, use google and do computation of their earnings, etc and compare.

Sometimes, we make the mistake of comparing celebrates and entertainers in Nigeria with professional Americans who are not celebrates or entertainers. If you want to compare A-list comedians in Nigeria like I-Go-Dey and their success within the Nigeria context, try to use A-list comedians in the USA, e.g. Chris Rock....or if you want to compare Davido in Nigeria, try use USA examples like 50 cents.

Now brings the point about debts, money, riches, etc....What you fail to understand is that, 'money' is a fiat currency, it is useless without the value global economy attached to it. The America economy is built on credit system, without this credit system, the economy and it's value will crumble over night.

Lets take a simple example of buying a car...does that your average Nigeria own car? Lets assume that he/she does not own a car, lets start deducting from his/she salary and save up money for him/her to buy a car..lets say that car is a Toyota Camry 2018, with a price tag of $23,000.00 (N8,165,000.00)...how many years of monthly savings will it take that person to save N8b? Level 08 civil servants in Nigeria makes on average about N980,000/PA....even if this individual is able to save 50% of his/her salary towards this Car, it will take them 16 years to afford the car..if they save 100% of their salary, that is about 9 years! Add 3.5% yearly inflation to that money, plus the fact that in 9 years time, a similar Toyota camry be above $23,000.00...Compare that, to a similarly situated average America graduate, who walked into the car dealer, sign a five years loan and makes car payments for five years. This average America gets that car today, the Nigeria will wait 9-16 years, and the American will start using that car to improve his standard of living, business, opportunities, network, horizon, etc and will pay off the Car in five years free and clear why his Nigerian counterpart is still trying to save money to buy the same car....my guess is, maybe in 10 years after owning the car free and clear for 5 years, he will sell it out and it will be shipped as tokunbo to Nigeria and be sold to his Nigeria counterpart.

Use that same example above and ditto it for owing a house, starting a business, etc.....You have to use the credit system to work for you. This is the singular reason the average Chinese foolishly save money and live in penury and the wise America will come and borrow that money and live a comfortable high standard of living....since this is fiat currency, its value is useless and often is controlled by the America system.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 5:50pm On Aug 31, 2019
sweetmelanin:

What are you saying for goodness sake. I am not based in Nigeria neither am I in America. Why did you quote me?
where are you based ? italy ? are you an edo girl ? lmao

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 31, 2019
babaolofin:

He said before he travelled, he thought America is Paradise on Earth but on getting there what he saw was confusion, beggars and so many things. Having released that record he should not have gone back again, that was the mistake that ruined him.
Yess! there are beggars in the streets of America, mostly drug Addicts begging to buy drugs.

And if it was that bad? he should not have gone back, He came back for more drugs and he became a junkie in the end.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Ygrette(f): 5:51pm On Aug 31, 2019
Olominira:
I have been to a number of countries around the world. The honest truth is that if Nigeria had achieved 24 hours electricity around 2006-2009, I'm talking of 10 years ago, nearly 80-90 percent of Nigerians would be better off than same figure in United States. As at 2019 43 million Americans are living in poverty.

Very well said.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by sweetmelanin(f): 5:51pm On Aug 31, 2019
orunmila144:
where are you based ? italy ? are you an edo girl ? lmao

Yes just like your mum.

6 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 5:52pm On Aug 31, 2019
sweetmelanin:

Yes just like your mum.
grin edo geh. more grease to ya elbow for italy grin

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by golddust6000(m): 5:53pm On Aug 31, 2019
sweetmelanin:

I agree with the first half of your statement.. BUT for good quality of life countries like Australia and most EU countries (i.e. UK, Germany, Portugal) are far better than America.
You can be homeless in America in old age but in the EU, its damn near impossible. The government cares for the weak and elderly whether or not you've worked a day in your life.
guy you don’t know anything about europe a bit. Europe where 1out of 5 know someone who is homeless. I am currently living in Europe as a social worker, 65 percent of homeless people in Europe are old people. Guy you know nothing about Europe.

10 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by lollybizzu(m): 5:53pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
You are next to receive a severe uppercut from me. Get ready to visit the ER once I am done here with work. Then of course I made over 35k today. 5k will be for your treatment. Your jaw will be shifted
Bro are you serious with this your comment?
If yes please can we talk, I mean if it's legit o.
Thanks
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 5:54pm On Aug 31, 2019
livebyday:

Let me explain.. aome like Mr Otedola the Nigerian billionaire will cry he is broke if his wealth falls to let's say $2 billion same with Dangote. If they cry they are broke to them it's the truth it's not false .

Cheers

But Otedola has fallen to a measly $300m yet I don’t see him crying (See below)

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Freeman59: 5:54pm On Aug 31, 2019
useni1:
This is the truth and nothing but the truth. The media has done a lot to portray life in the Western world when in reality it is very far from the truth.

Wishful thinking!

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 31, 2019
isthatso:

When majek made that statement, things were still relatively good in Nigeria, that album was close to 30 years ago.

Besides every country has poor people and beggars

Things are extremely bad in Nigeria that people with open opportunities several years back are now regretting coming back home or why they did not relocate while the opportunities were even begging them.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nukilia: 5:55pm On Aug 31, 2019
sweetmelanin:

At least they have jobs to pay off their loans. In Nigeria the average youth is jobless & the degree they worked so hard to achieve is rendered useless.

May your days be long!

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 31, 2019
babaolofin:

Things are extremely bad in Nigeria that people with open opportunities several years back are now regretting coming back home or why they did not relocate while the opportunities were even begging them.

FACT

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by HBB1(m): 5:56pm On Aug 31, 2019
golddust6000:
guy you don’t know anything about europe a bit. Europe where 1out of 5 know someone who is homeless. I am currently living in Europe as a social worker, 65 percent of homeless people in Europe are old people. Guy you know nothing about Europe.

In the Europe I am living in, 65percent of old people are not homeless.

Maybe you are living in poor europe

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by JaceBlaze: 5:58pm On Aug 31, 2019
At least their basic amenities are well financed,and not to mention you don't see them crossing African borders illegally in desperate search for the promised land,they have it all at home.If that little piece up there gave you a penìs erection then just know that you are fooling yourself grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by katlord(m): 5:59pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
Yes far better with college students sleeping with sugar daddies to pay back their student loans?

https://www.businessinsider.com/seeking-arrangement-sugar-daddies-pay-sugar-babies-college-tuition-2017-11?IR=T

Yes far better with 62% of Americans one paycheck away from living on the street

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-are-one-paycheck-away-from-the-street-2016-01-06

Yes far better with people who have masters degrees still working till the age of 75 to be able to afford retirement and not die in debt

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/millennial-grad-retirement-age-is-75/

When next you come here to quote me just know you are talking to someone who knows the US. like the back of his hand. I have rendered so many people useless on this forum daring to engage me. The next time you quote me you will get a serious uppercut that will lead to spinal injury

Students sleeping with sugar daddies I think is personal to whom it may concern cos it also happens here too

With their student loan, they're still better than us. Which Nigerian bank don grant student loans for naija? A Nigerian student resorts to immediate families or sell parents belongings to sail through school or better still borrow from kind neighbours.

Why are we even comparing naija living standard with America? Even living in their country sides (their rural parts) is far better than most Nigerian cities

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Gbabe2: 5:59pm On Aug 31, 2019
See yourself? IF we get it right?
I graduated way back, God knows when, struggled and struggled like hell, looking for job to no avail. Eventually got one, only for the MD to tell me who employed cos I was diligently doing what I was employed me for. Young man, don’t pray to experience the real Nigeria. Have you heard of underemployment before? Biko, face front. All these leaders don’t care about d populace. They rather make people suffer and beg and ultimately make them foot mats.
Can I tell you something? I don’t have to attend night vigils, or die in a prayer mountain before having a life in a good country.

Angelfrost:

Exactly... Some of these immigrants are so myopic.

If Nigeria got it right in terms of leadership 20 years ago, would American embassy not have closed shop since...

Las las, y'all can't fake the real state of your finance forever... We shall all see.

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by timesup234: 6:01pm On Aug 31, 2019
lereinter:

What are you implying

You are just an asshole, for posting rubbish

What are people achieving here that is their father land

The days when people brag about living in America are over. I came to destroy the illusion. The only success story coming out of that shithole these days are from fradulent Nigerians into cybercrime. All those century my uncle is a doctor in chicago, my aunty is a nurse in new york have been exposed. They werent rich, they were indeed struggling in their professional fields. They were all broke azzes with a second to commiting suicide due to depression. America where people work like dog. They saw hell and if given the opportunity to do it all over again will gladly burn their American visa

5 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by livebyday(m): 6:02pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

I gave an example

Cheers
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Kennydoc(m): 6:05pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
You are next to receive a severe uppercut from me. Get ready to visit the ER once I am done here with work. Then of course I made over 35k today. 5k will be for your treatment. Your jaw will be shifted

Hahahaha. See this one.

You made 35k today, and that puts you in the grade of a low to middle income earner in the US, Australia, Canada, UK and so on. Even Uber drivers in the US make more than $100 in a day.

Nonsense!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Weathered: 6:05pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
now i am gonna make you cry. Everything i wrote there is 100% fact. The American dream never existed. It is the greatest fraud sold to poor people worldwide. When you get to America you will prefer Sudan
lolz, make me cry? How do you do it? I mean how do you live with your delusions of perception?

You drive 20 year old American left over car they consider relic in Nigeria and feel like a don.

The cost of college in America will run 20 people from BS.c to PhD in Nigeria.

Americans use credit facilities because their job provide security and cover. In Nigeria your banks cannot even give loans to students or SME operators except to the stinking rich.

America's GDP per capita is 100 times higher than Nigeria's..

Never mind that 60% of our Yahoo Boys is focused on scamming "poor" American citizens.

You fishing for attention, boy, or you're just stupid or puerile?

The American economy is estimated to be between $19 to $21 trillion dollars. All of Africa is $2 trillion.

And Africa is over 1 billion people. America is 300+ million people.

There's a cure for perceptual disturbances, bro.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by salford1: 6:08pm On Aug 31, 2019
wirinet:

Not every one enjoys a better standard than us. That only applies to the highly or moderate educated Americans. Poor and non college educated Americans have poor standard of living. Many Nigerians who go and are unable to work with their certificates have really tough lives. I know some people (graduates from Nigeria ) that do 2 to 3 jobs just to survive. One told me, 4 of them rented a self contain apartment, because the monthly rent for a self contains is as expensive as a yearly rent in a 3 bedroom apartment in a suburb in Lagos.
Then he should to back to school to get an American éducation.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by HBB1(m): 6:08pm On Aug 31, 2019
Kennydoc:

Hahahaha. See this one.

You made 35k today, and that puts you in the grade of a low to middle income earner in the US, Australia, Canada, UK and so on. Even Uber drivers in the US make more than $100 in a day.

Nonsense!

I can't understand the broke-ass o!

How much is 35k, poverty-skewed brains!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by KingAzubuike(f): 6:09pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

I don't think otedola was ever a dollar billionaire grin he was always hanging between $700M - $900M. Same with Tony elumelu and co.. I think the only dollar billionaire we've had in the last decade is dangote. I might be wrong tho

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by timesup234: 6:10pm On Aug 31, 2019
Weathered:
lolz, make me cry? How do you do it? I mean how do you live with your delusions of perception?

You drive 20 year old American left over cars they consider relic in Nigeria and feel like a don.

A cost of college in America degree will run 20 people from BS.c to PhD in Nigeria.

Americans use credit facilities because their job provide security and cover. In Nigeria your bank's cannot even give loans except to the stinking rich.

America's GDP per capita over 50 times higher than Nigeria.

Never mind that 60% of our Yahoo Boys is focused on scamming "poor" American citizens.

You fishing for attention, boy, or you're just stupid or puerile?

The American economy is estimated to be between $19 $21 trillion dollars. All of Africa is $2 trillion.

There's a cure for perceptual disturbances, bro.
You are a ant, I mean a rabbit. I defeated Harvard, MIT scholars. You are a cockcroach. GDP my ass. All stolen wealth from Africa. The American government is the greatest fraud in human history. If you want broke ass Nigerians living in America to start crying just tell them Timesup is coming.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by golddust6000(m): 6:10pm On Aug 31, 2019
Poor Europe rich Europe, they are all Europeans. You guys don’t know anything, you need to visit some African countries and know what life is all about. Do you know Botswana, Mozambique and some part of southern African and central Africa live better life than most Westerners. Nigerian government don use una brain to the extend you think no African country are doing better than the west.
HBB1:

In the Europe I am living in, 65percent of old people are not homeless.

Maybe you are living in poor europe

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Anambra Businessman, Bona Okafor And Policeman Who Asked For His Particulars / Man Came Down From His Car And Started Dancing, After He Got Tired Of Traffic / The Bariga Waterfront Jetty And Ferries That Ambode Commissioned (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.