Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,450,200 members, 5,520,370 topics. Date: Friday, 10 April 2020 at 07:57 AM

Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun - Literature (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun (65678 Views)

The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. / Maria: The Sequel / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Meenah101: 4:52pm On Feb 22
The politician might be blackie's sworn enemy
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 12:35pm On Feb 23

Chapter Two

I

Basket spent a month in his hometown with both his mother and his grandfather. Naturally, Basket was supposed to take the surname of his father’s family but his father never had a family name; the man was a loner. Nobody knew exactly where he had come from or which tribe he belonged. He had met Basket’s mother and both had fallen in love as soon as they set eyes on each other. The man had decided to take the family name of his wife – Balewa. Since he had no relative, no one frowned at the decision. In fact, Old Balewa was the person who influenced this decision. He never had a male child and he didn’t want his name to fade away. This was why Basket was the old man’s favourite when he was young.

Basket’s intention was to take his mother and grandfather from the village and bring them to Lagos. When he told the two older people, they had refused at first. The village was where his mother had lived her whole life; she couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. His grandfather too had claimed that the house belonged to the Balewa lineage. If they all left for the city, who would look after the house? It took Basket almost a week to finally convince them to forsake the village life. There were too many evil people in the village; the village was filled with witches and wizards who delighted in killing or destroying lives. His mother had confirmed his statement. She had said that her husband’s wine had been poisoned by wicked men who claimed to be his friends. He had woken up in the middle of the night coughing out blood, and he was dead before daybreak. Eventually, Old Balé agreed to follow his grandson back to Lagos, only after Basket had promised that he was going to renovate that dilapidated house in Lagos. He would renovate it but he would not allow the man to live in it; the house would be leased out. His grandfather and his mother would live under the same roof with him.

“Your daughter-in-law is waiting for you in Lagos, mama,” he had said with a smile.

The surprise and joy on his mother’s face warmed him down to his stomach. “You are married?”

“Yes, mama.”

The woman rose from her seat and danced round the room. Even Old Balé was glad to hear the news. “I can’t wait to meet the girl who will give me a great-grandchild.”

That night, Mama was so happy that she prepared pounded yam with delicious vegetable soup garnished with the bush meat she had bought from the village’s famous hunter. It was a little feast. Occasionally, Basket’s mother would weep and say she wished his father was still alive to witness this moment.

He wanted to take them away immediately but his mother had insisted that he must wait for at least two weeks; she had a lot of things to do before leaving the village. Also, Basket thought about what to do about the old house; they wouldn’t just leave it to rot, surely someone would have to live in it or it would collapse. The best thing to do was sell it off. But who would want to buy a house in two weeks? He decided that if there was no buyer, he would leave it. He might return later to find a buyer; the most important thing for him to do at the moment was take his family away from here as soon as possible.

But his mother worked hard to find a buyer. She consulted all the rich people in the neighbourhood; none of them was willing to buy it. They all thought the house was cursed and hunted, and it would be dangerous for them to buy it. Even the village king refused to buy it. At the last moment when it was evident that the house would be abandoned, a buyer stepped forward. He was an herbalist; he had shown interest in buying the house because he believed living there would bring him closer to the gods. His son living out of the country had sent him a huge sum of money; he wanted to buy the house with the money.

While Basket and his mother were pleased about this, Old Balé was not too happy. This was a house belonging to his family, he felt really bad that it would belong to someone else. He would have loved to remain here but he didn’t want to turn down his grandson; he had never turned the boy down before, even when he was a toddler. He could see that what would bring the boy so much joy was having both of them live with him.

Then after the first week of their stay in the house, Old Balé fell ill. Both Basket and his mother had thought it was a minor ailment but it grew serious each day. By the third day of his illness, he was bedridden. No herb made him better, he kept receding and receding until he became just a shadow of himself. He was back to the skinny, dying, unhealthy old man Peter Black had encountered for the first time.

Basket was confused about what had suddenly befalling his grandfather. The man had been very healthy when he brought him down to the village. Why did he suddenly become sick again? The only explanation he could give to this – the only thing he could allude this illness to – was on witchcraft. To him, be believed the witches and wizards of the village had struck again. They wanted to take his grandfather away from him as they had taken his father. Staying here any longer was not safe; he wanted to take them away as quickly as possible, but he still needed to collect the payment for the house. The man had promised to pay the money a day before their departure.

But he was growing worried with each passing day. His grandfather was not getting any better. He was beginning to panic; he was scared. He could not afford to lose the man just when he had just met him, when he was getting to know him.

A day before the payment was expected to be made, Old Balé called Basket into the room and started speaking. At first, Basket thought his grandfather was rambling; the man’s eyes were shut and his lips were moving but Basket could barely hear what was being said.

“Something terrible is going to happen, Efe,” said the man.

Basket was able to catch these particular words. The old man must have been repeating them over and over again. Perhaps he was going senile, gradually losing his mind. Perhaps when he took his grandfather to Lagos, he would not take him to his home; instead, he would take him to a mental home where he would be properly cared for and treated. He quickly got rid of the negative thought building in his mind.

“What’s going to happen, Balé?” Basket asked anxiously.

“Something terrible is going to happen, Efe.”

It seemed like that was the only phrase the sick man had.

‘Something terrible is going to happen, Efe.”

“I don’t unserstand what you’re talking about, Balé. What’s going to happen?”

“You have to let go.”

“Let go of what?”

“If you don’t let go something terrible is going to happen.”

“You have to be specific, Balé. I don’t understand anything you are saying.”

“It’s going to happen. It’s terrible. It’s going to happen. It’s going to happen.” The sick man continued to repeat this phrase until he slept off.

Basket left his grandfather to go and think about what the old man had just said. What the heavens was going to happen? What did the old man see? He told me to let go. Let go of what exactly? Was he talking about Peter? Is that what he meant? Is something bad going to happen to Peter? Would he cause it? Or was Maria the victim? Could it be me? Would I be the person the terrible thing will happen it? What’s the terrible thing? Is it avoidable? Obviously, it is; it can be avoided only if he let go. But let go of what exactly? Is he supposed to let go of Blackie? How could he even suggest that? Peter was the villain here but the man always made him feel like the bad guy whenever he talked about Peter. The thief was the bad guy but he seemed to be winning every time. But Basket was not going to give up; he would hunt the thief down and send him to the jail he belonged in. The only way Peter could avoid going to prison was if he released Maria to him. That was the only ticket to his freedom, but he knew Basket. He would always want to play games with him. Well, he would track him down; he would use every resource in his power to achieve that. Finally, he would prove to him that he was smarter than Peter; he would show him that he, Basket, was the master of the game.

The following morning, they found Old Balé dead in his bed.

Basket had cried like a baby; he had almost gone mad with sadness. The patriarch of the Balewa family was gone; his only confidante was dead. Old Balé had been very dear to his heart. He wondered why he kept losing the people he had absolutely loved in sudden manners. First, it had been Blackie betrayal, now it was Balé to death. This made him wonder who else he was going to lose in future. For now, as far as he was concerned, Old Balé and Blackie were dead to him. The Peter Black he was hunting now was not the friend he knew; this one was another person entirely – an evil version of that boy he loved so much that he was willing to protect with all his might. That boy was gone. He had found him dead the moment he caught him on top of Rhoda. On the other hand, however, Rhoda was still very much alive to him. She was the only woman he had ever truly loved, the only one he would ever truly love. He discovered he could not bear to live without him. He had never blamed Rhoda for what happened; as a matter of fact, he believed that Peter had forced himself on her. No matter what he heard, this belief was never going to change. He had to believe this to keep his sanity intact. He couldn’t wait to return to Lagos; he missed the warm embrace of the beautiful Rhoda – his legally wedded wife. He had to keep her safe; and as long as Peter Black was still out there, Rhoda would never be safe. Peter would attempt to force himself on her again. He must never allow that to happen; thunder must not strike twice. This was why putting Peter in jail was the only solution.

Old Balé was buried that same day amidst tears. Basket’s mother tore herself apart. She had suffered the same loss as her son. While Basket lost his father and grandfather, his mother lost her husband and father. They both had only each other now, Rhoda was an external variable. When Basket was leaving Lagos for this village two weeks earlier, he had never thought he would not return with his grandfather; hell, he had never thought he would not meet his father too.

As he dug the hole, he kept his mind busy with other thoughts. This was what he always did to escape the turbulence of every current situation. He thought about how he had begun after leaving Peter Black for breaking his heart. He had immediately got himself recruited into the police force. He had always liked police work but he never thought he would be one, considering the fact that he was a thief. But Peter’s action had pushed him to pursue the career; he had become a policeman with the sole aim of punishing Peter for what he did.

He had poured his soul into the job. He had excelled in every test given to him. The passion to destroy Peter had made him extraordinary in the profession. He had worked directly under the supervision of Mr Gold while he trained in the Police Academy in Lagos State. His zeal to be the best had made him the favourite of the man, and when passed all his tests and officially became a police officer, he had told the man that he was in love with his daughter. It was as simple as that; the man had given him her daughter and they had gotten married as soon as they could.

That was his journey. Since his breakup with Peter everything had worked smoothly for him. It was like luck was rewarding him for what he went through. He got selected at the early stage where hundreds of others were being rejected. The only little challenge he could remember having was during training. The training had been rigorous; it had been as if they were being trained to become soldiers instead of police officers. He could recall all the hard body exercise they were made to go through; a lot of his colleagues had to quit because they couldn’t cope anymore. But Basket wasn’t a quitter; he forged on. His desire to exert revenge on Peter Black spurred him further.

After the body exercises, they went through mental exercises too. There were lessons on psychological trainings that educated them about how the minds of an average criminal worked. Basket had paid attention to this because he wanted to understand how Peter’s mind worked; if he could determine that, he would be able to adequately make him suffer.

They were also taught the art of cryptography and ciphering. This lesson exposed them to how most criminals try to hide evidence and stuff; how they tried to communicate with one another remotely using strange terms and slangs; some used encrypted letters, numbers and symbols to hide their messages.

Suddenly, Basket froze. He dropped the shovel. A bright light shone in his dome.

“Oh my goodness!” he said. He couldn’t believe what had just occurred to him. “It’s an encryption! That bastard!” He was speaking to himself aloud. “That bastard Peter! It’s an encryption! It had been staring at him right in the face but he didn’t see it. Ladders and Crosses – that was what Peter had said. Now it makes a lot of sense!”

Basket became excited. He couldn’t wait to return to Lagos for the piece of paper Peter had sent him through Old Balé. He knew how to crack that code.

That bastard!

5 Likes

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 12:39pm On Feb 23
BLACK MARIA: LEGENDS

Now available for sale on OkadaBooks.

The complete book is now available for download on OkadaBooks for N500 only. Kindly purchase your own now. We re not even halfway through here. Thank you all for your support. God bless you abundantly.

Here is the download link:

https://okadabooks.com/book/about/black_maria_book_three/31369

Cheers!

LSD smiley
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by jadeliyi(m): 4:04pm On Feb 23
Not half ha ogaa o
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:23pm On Feb 23
okeyben10:
Thanks boss.

Cant wait to c what peter is up to wt the politician

I hope he and yinka connect to bring down their mutual enemy.

Btw, HML to d thieving couple
Hahahahaha!

The thieving couple. Hilarious!
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:24pm On Feb 23
EkopSparoAyara:
Thank God the very stubborn Peter Black agreed to leave, love is indeed strong..

Happy married life to Mr.&Mrs. Black..I was expecting lengthy words from Peter Black when he produced the ring, I guess the hunger didn't stop them from tearing off their clothes..

Oh, Binta, sorry for you.. Well, hopefully they won't get Maria at least for now..

BRAVO LARRYSUN..
Thank you, bro.

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:24pm On Feb 23
Vulcanheph:
Larrysun is giving us Appetizer updates when we want main course......I'M STILL HUNGRY
It's now available for download if you want. It's just N500. wink
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:25pm On Feb 23
Nmezor:
Thanks for the loveli update
Thanks for your support.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:25pm On Feb 23
dhesire:

Kudos! More inspirations to your reservoir of knowledge.
Amen.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:26pm On Feb 23
Kaycee9242:
Larry well done, u are truly the best
Thank you, great boss.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:56pm On Feb 23
Ann2012:
Happy married life Peter and Maria Black

Thanks for the update Boss
Thanks for following.

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:57pm On Feb 23
jadeliyi:
Okay thanks Larrysun grin
Thanks jadeliyi.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:57pm On Feb 23
arfezces:
Thanks so much for the update...I love it.
You're always welcome. smiley
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 4:58pm On Feb 23
Vulcanheph:
larrysun.......i just figured out the language that blackie used un send the message to basket, it's the BRICKLAYER WRITING( You know na)........i translated it but the message was still not known,
Hahahahaha! Bricklayer writing indeed.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Kaycee9242(m): 7:14pm On Feb 23
Larry well done u are indeed a Legend
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by HORLADSTAR(m): 9:38pm On Feb 23
Vulcanheph:
larrysun.......i just figured out the language that blackie used un send the message to basket, it's the BRICKLAYER WRITING( You know na)........i translated it but the message was still not known,

You mean the FREEMASON'S WRITING
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by HORLADSTAR(m): 9:46pm On Feb 23
HORLADSTAR:

You mean the FREEMASON'S WRITING

I remembered when I first came across the code on Dan Brown novel "THE LOST SYMBOL", I was feeling like knowing more about Freemasons then. But the feeling die down after getting nothing tangible about the occultic association.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Nmezor(f): 6:14pm On Feb 24
Thanks for the kool update
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by fabulousbrainzz(m): 11:20pm On Feb 26
Thanks for the beautiful piece Larry Sun. The part about decoding the riddle was fantastic. And may Chief Salami rot in hell. I really pity Basket with his issue with the italian
LarrySun:

The complete book is now available for download on OkadaBooks for N500 only. Kindly purchase your own now. We re not even halfway through here. Thank you all for your support. God bless you abundantly.

Cheers!

LSD smiley
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by fabulousbrainzz(m): 11:20pm On Feb 26
You're off point bro, try reading the book
Vulcanheph:
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Eddyella(f): 12:32am On Feb 28
Yeah!!!
Finally,I will be reading d complete book without suspense. Thanks Oga Larry u re d best.
Abeg,make I quickly order my own now as he dey hot. Chop knuckle jare.......
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by OfficialBro(m): 9:47am On Feb 29
larrysun, sir I'm humbly looking up to you sir. one day, one of this your books will go places, I pray jamb discovers you and recommend one of your book for their exams. you will definitely count in millions. bigger you I pray!

following.. please can you check out my new story, I still a beginner with my first story. I need critics that would put me on the line.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by nnamdiosu(m): 5:31pm On Feb 29
LarrySun:

Cheers!

LSD smiley

Hello bro...can I pm you? I have a business proposition for you
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 10:58am On Mar 01
nnamdiosu:

Hello bro...can I pm you? I have a business proposition for you
No problem.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 1:12pm On Mar 01

Update 20

Basket and his mother returned to Lagos two days after the passing of Old Balewa. He introduced Rhoda to his mother and the two women get on fine with each other almost immediately. To Nkarija (Basket’s mother), Rhoda was the daughter she never had; both women liked each other just as soon as their eyes met.

While the two chatted on and attempted to know each other better as they prepared food for the new family, Basket wanted to get the meal over with and concentrate on cracking that code Peter Black had sent to him. This would be his way of honouring the memory of Old Balewa; the old man had been the herald of the note. For some reasons, Basket had no doubt that he would be able to catch Peter Black faster if he was able decrypt the content of the note.

As soon as the meal was over, he left the dining table and disappeared into his study – this was a single room only he entered; this was where he did all his office work whenever he was at home. He never allowed even Rhoda to enter this room because she might stumble upon some cases she was not supposed to know about. He did the cleaning of this room himself; and he never made the error of keeping it unlocked whenever he left too. Rhoda herself didn’t care less about this; whatever Balewa was doing in the room was none of her business.

Although Rhoda hated keeping secrets from Basket, she decided to keep the secret about the issue concerning Maria. She couldn’t bring herself to tell her husband that someone had come forward with the location of Maria. She would try to keep herself out of it as much as possible. She had sworn never to lie to him; that was why she was going to speak out if he asked her; however, if he didn’t ask, she would not say anything. As much as Basket didn’t know about the new development between Maria and Peter, so did Rhoda never knew about the relationship between someone named Old Man Balewa, his grandson and Peter Black.

He locked the door behind him as he stepped into the study. He turned on the ceiling fan and opened the window for fresher air. Then he pulled open a drawer from his desk and brought out a book about human psychology. He opened the book to the middle pages and right there laid smugly the little note with the code. Before his travel, he had always stared at the content of note, trying to unravel the hidden message but he always came up a little short in deciphering it. It was such a wonder that the answer had occurred to him in the most unlikely place, and in the most unlikely manner. It was as if the demise of his grandfather had opened a portal before his eyes; he now saw things in a new light. He almost believed that it was the spirit of his grandfather who had shown him the way.

But he still found it hard to imagine that Old Balé’s spirit could help him out in this quest. His grandfather was the last person who would want him to arrest Peter Black; and his soul would be damned if he allowed it to help Efe in achieving this feat. Balewa knew how much his grandfather liked Peter; he wondered what extraordinary thing Peter had done to him other than take him to the hospital. A lot of thoughts swam in the cesspool of his mind as he stared once again at the note in the page of the book; he hadn’t yet picked it up. He was thinking about his grandfather and Peter Black; he was wondering if he should share the news about Old Man Balewa’s death with Peter. Did he really want to tell the traitor about this? Even if he wanted to, when was he going to tell him? How was he going to pass the news? Probably the moment he clicked the handcuffs on Peter’s wrists as he had done to Maria then.

He thought it would be a delight to see the sadness on Peter’s face when he told him the news. It would be sweeter to tell him this on the way to prison – a time when the fate of the traitor would be sealed by the bang of a judge’s gavel. He would tell him he won after all. It was only Peter Black had been escorted down to prison that he would finally put his mind at rest; for now, he had to work extremely hard to make that possible. He had to be many steps ahead of Peter Black. Well, he was glad he was on that path now. Surely Peter Black must have thought there would be no way he would be able to decipher the code. He couldn’t wait to rub his victory in the thief’s face.

Basket also thought about Maria. Actually, he had no qualms about the girl; indeed, he never hated her. His hatred for Peter Black had caused him to hunt her down and made sure she ended up in prison. All his dislike for thieves was because of the raw loathe he had for Peter Black. But if he was able to successfully arrest Peter Black, he would have no reason to arrest Maria. He had put up the bounty on Maria simply because she was now the only link for him to finding Peter Black. His major priority was Peter; he had denied the promotion offers at work simply because he would not take any until he made sure he saw the end of the man who had put a dagger through his heart. He wanted Peter to feel almost the same pain he felt, for he knew there was no amount of jail-term that would equal the kind of mental and emotional torture he went through when he discovered that roving abomination. Basically, the only ticket to Maria’s freedom was Peter Black’s incarceration. Perhaps he should have employed this strategy on Maria. He might have arrested Peter Black faster if he had found a way to communicate with Maria and inform her that she was free to go if she could help him bring down Peter Black. Peter was the thief he wanted, not her.

Still he knew that this would be very hard to achieve. First and foremost, it was almost unethical to use a criminal to catch a criminal with a promise of letting one walk free. His superior might also frown at that idea, especially when it involved passing the message across to Maria through a national television station – for that was the only way he knew he could get across to Maria. He admitted that he had made a grave mistake by putting Maria’s name in the media spotlight instead. Surely using that method would have proven quite effective; if he knew Maria as much as he thought he did, she would not hesitate to give up Peter for her own freedown. She had tasted the horrors of prison and she was not willing to go back there; that was why she had run from the hospital even before getting the right treatment she needed. Someone like that would do anything to keep from going back to jail. That would have been the most perfect payback method. For once, Peter Black would feel the pain of betrayal. Old Balé had told him that Peter was in love with Maria; that would have even made the betrayal a lot more painful.

He smiled at the cruel thoughts and picked up the mote. He stared at it once again. He was looking intently at the shapes as if he was just seeing them for the first time.

He smiled more broadly and nodded. He admitted that Peter was indeed clever; it would be quite tough to decipher for anyone who had no basic knowledge that he had. Even with the hints provided, it would be almost impossible, except to someone very, very intelligent indeed. And Basket was yet to meet that person. Even not for the remembrance of the background trainings he had about it, he would never have deciphered it in a hundred years.

Ladders and crosses. The clues rang in his head.

Ladders and crosses.

Ladders and crosses.

He picked up a pen and began to draw on a plain sheet of paper. First he drew the ladder; if he hadn’t known the exact lines to scrawl, he would have drawn something completely different. After drawing it, he stepped back to get a closer look. Satisfied with what he did, he nodded and proceeded to draw a cross. The cross was drawn in a peculiar way the ladder was drawn. Like he already thought, only people who were familiar with this kind of encryption would be able to scrawl the perfect lines. When he was done with that too, he gave it a more direct look and nodded in satisfaction again.

The clues had been ‘ladders and crosses’. Plural. Not ‘ladder and cross’ – it was ‘ladders and crosses’. Basket scrawled further on the page and drew the two images again. Now he had two drawings of a ladder and two drawings of a cross.

He stared at what he drew. He shook his head; this was not the how it was supposed to be. There were two pieces of identical images; two images were not supposed to be exactly identical. Something was missing; he knew it, but he couldn’t put his thought on that missing element. He stared back at the code in the note. There were some identical shapes but some shapes were not exactly identical; they were differentiated by a single element – the dot. Oh yes! The dots! Those were tiny threads that held everything together, they made his deciphering meaningful. How could he not remember something so obvious? He picked up his pen again and started dotting selected spaces in the two images he had created. He dotted the spaces in the second ladder and also did the same in the spaces of the second cross. He raised the plain sheet from the desk and stared proudly at it.

He nodded; he knew he had gotten it right. Now there was one final step. He counted all the available spaces from the four images – they were twenty-six altogether just as he had thought. He was on the right track. He could feel that he was getting closer and closer to arresting Peter Black. The unravelling of the mysteries surrounding this code would bring him the result he desperately desired. He picked up the pen again and began to letter all the spaces. He started with the first ladder without the dots; he lettered it A B C D E F G H I. then he moved on to the second ladder with the dots and continued with the letters of the English alphabet – J K L M N O P Q R. He moved on to the undotted cross and wrote S T U V. Finally, on the last image – the dotted cross – he completed the alphabet – W X Y Z. He sighed as he finished the lettering; he felt like a kindergarten kid as he watched his handiwork.

He rubbed his palms together in excitement. He was getting close to the final revelation. The next thing he had to do – the final task – was to match the shapes in the code with the letters that stood on similar shapes from the ladders and crosses. The first shape in the code was something that looked closely like U, but Basket knew now that this was not U; it represented a totally different letter. He found the shape on the clues he had outlined. The U from the code was represented by letter B from the first letter. He did the same with the next symbol from the code. This particular one was shaped like r but in an inverse position; Basket knew it wasn’t letter R. He checked the letter that represented the symbol – it was letter G. he continued doing this with every symbol on the first line of the code. He checked out what he had just written down.

BGEEH NABG I WSH

It made no sense to him. He wondered what Peter was trying to pass across here. The only things to which he thought he could get a modicum of understanding were the last four letters of the line: I WSH.

It sounded like I WISH to him but he was not sure. It could just be a single word scrambled. It was possible for it to be ordinary WISH. Still he wasn’t sure about what he was reading. He tried to make sense of the seeming first word of the line – BGEEH – but he couldn’t. No matter whichever way he tried to unscramble it, the word made no sense whatsoever.
The second word – NABG – sounded a wee bit promising. It could form BANG if unscrambled. He didn’t know what to make of all these. He decided to continue decoding the symbols. Perhaps everything would make sense to him when he finished deciphering it.

The first symbol of the second line was another inverse r, but this one had a dot this time around. He searched the clue and found the letter – P. The symbol after that was exactly the same with the first; he inserted a second P. By the time he finished with the first four symbols, Basket was already feeling that this was another conundrum, most probably another scrambled word. He had no problem with unscrambling as long as it made sense. By the time he was done with the second line of the code, he was stumped by yet another meaningless couple of letters.

PPID LIJ VIBV CNAS

He scratched his head in confusion; another problem to solve. Apparently, the first word would make absolute no sense no matter however he unscrambled it. That alone had killed his morale. He almost kicked himself for thinking Peter would make this so easy to him. That boy was too clever for his own good but he, Basket, was going to bring him down. He knew he was on the right path to deciphering this, something was only wrong somewhere. He would find out what was amiss and he would fix it. He continued to stare at the second line. The only word that made direct sense here if unscrambled was the last four letters – CNAS. This could either mean CANS or SCAN. He stared generally at the two lines and scratched his head again.

BGEEH NABG I WSH
PPID LIJ VIBV CNAS

He stared at the message for a long time. The gears in his head were rolling and turning furiously, but his mind was in turmoil.

“What the hell is this?” he asked an imaginary Peter Black.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 1:19pm On Mar 01

THE COMPLETE BOOK IS NOW AVAILABLE ON OKADABOOKS FOR N500 ONLY. HERE IS THE DOWNLOAD LINK BELOW:

The next update shall be posted on Sunday. If you can't wait, you can get the PDF of subsequent available updates for N50 each, or of the full book at N1000 only. Thanks for following. Don't forget to buy Book 1 and Book 2. They are both available for sale on OkadaBooks. Alternatively, you can contact me directly for the PDFs.

God bless you.

LSD smiley

+2349061754872
larrysundynasty@gmail.com
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Ann2012(f): 2:14pm On Mar 01
Thanks for the update
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Eddyella(f): 8:03pm On Mar 01
Oga Larry why after all d suspense in book 3 there's now book 4 again?

WHY

U wan kill person wif suspense ni?
Abeg o!!!
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 8:09pm On Mar 01
Eddyella:
Oga Larry why after all d suspense in book 3 there's now book 4 again?

WHY

U wan kill person wif suspense ni?

Abeg o!!!
There are 5 books altogether.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Eddyella(f): 8:51pm On Mar 01
LarrySun:

THE COMPLETE BOOK IS NOW AVAILABLE ON OKADABOOKS FOR N500 ONLY. HERE IS THE DOWNLOAD LINK BELOW:

The next update shall be posted on Sunday. If you can't wait, you can get the PDF of subsequent available updates for N50 each, or of the full book at N1000 only. Thanks for following. Don't forget to buy Book 1 and Book 2. They are both available for sale on OkadaBooks. Alternatively, you can contact me directly for the PDFs.

God bless you.

LSD smiley

+2349061754872
larrysundynasty@gmail.com

Oga Larry I doff my hat o...

Just finished reading book 3 thinking it's d end not knowing that's just d beginning of d end.

Abeg,biko,joor,pls...don't kill us wif suspense,release book 4 fast fast nah beg I beg ooo...
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Eddyella(f): 8:57pm On Mar 01
LarrySun:
There are 5 books altogether.
Chixox!!!Wetin happen u wan kill person?
Xpecting d remaining books. #moreinktourpen 'n' moregreasetourelbow#
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by jadeliyi(m): 10:34pm On Mar 01
I applaud you Larrysun I thought you had left the code but still it still remain in solved thanks for today's piece

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

INSATIABLE ~ Story Of A Quiet Yoruba Demon / CHOICES AND Chances(a Story) / Roomates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 286
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.