Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,929 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (25084 Views)

Benue: Fr. Alia Presents Certificate Of Return To Tor Tiv And Ochi’idoma / Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 5:49pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yujin:

Most of what you wrote is correct but as for saying 'realistically' Igbos will be the third largest is a big fallacy. The threat of the huge Igbo population was one big factor for the hate in the north in colonial times and even during the war. Igboland had by far the highest population density in sub-saharan Africa
Thats because of their tiny landmass.if you put them in the same landmass occupied by hausas and yorubas,they will be sparsely distributed

4 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 5:52pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:
Unless a truly sincere census compete with ethnic information is carried out in Nigeria, we will never truly now the positions of Nigerian ethnic groups with regards to population, but the truth is that the Hausas are scared to death about the prospects of a census with ethnic information, because so many tables will be broken to pieces.

Kebbi isn't a pure Hausa state
Kaduna will be a shocker
Jigawa has a large Kanuri minority of Mannga extraction.
Meaning only 4 of 7 (Katsina, Sokoto, Kano and Zamfara) are over 95% Hausa and Fulbe
Now, in the case of an ethnic census of these states some Fulanis will NOT self identify as Hausa and herein lies a huge problem. All those Lamidos and Dikkos, Bellos, Tukurs, Yeros, Sambos, Danfulanis, Baffahs/Bappas, Bappayo/Babbayos, Yugudas, Barkindos, Gidados, Jungudos Etc etc will all instantly become Fulani.

In the North East Zone.
Gombe is a majority minority state plus a plurality of Fulbe with hausas hiding under them.
Adamawa is also a largely state of Minorities with a prominent Fulani ruling class plurality with Hausas hiding under that. (similar to Gombe)
Taraba is also similar to the two above but with a smaller and less prominent Fulani component
Bauchi isn't a homogeneous state either with Hausas, Fulbe, Kanuri Bole, Jarawa, Warja etc being there.
Yobe and Borno are largely Kanuri with a host of minorities in Southern and Eastern Borno (Bura Pabir(Babur), Shuwa, Marghi, Buduma/Yedina, Chiboku, Mandara numerous others), and western Yobe being mostly Kare-kare, Bade and Ngizm. (Pottiskum and co)

So realistically speaking Yorubas or Hausas or even Igbos could theoretically be the largest ethnic group in nigeria.
BUT realistically Igbos are most likely 3rd with the Yorubas (1st or 2nd) and Hausas being (1st or 2nd), and Fulbes being 4 and Tiv or Kanuri being 5th/6th although I am betting on Tiv because of the ethnic breakdown of Borno and Yobe which i already highlghted above but which many people aren't aware of)

The CIA re dead wrong, sorry. Urhobos are even more than Igalas lol and they are not on the list. Also I am pretty sure their 'Ibibio' means Ibibio + Efik + Annaŋ + Ekid (Eket) +Oro (Oron) + maybe even the Andonis/Ibeno.

I was just laughing a few years ago when Ijaws were parading themselves as the 4th ethnic group in Nigeria. grin Una doh!

cc: Iamgrey5 , garfield1 , Nowenuse

Great analysis!

Hmm, I don't think Urhobos would be clearly more than Igalas unless of course you add Isoko to the Urhobo population.

2ndly, like I was telling garfield. If fulanis are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria, then Hausa cannot be the 1st or even 2nd. They would be the 3rd.
This is because the Hausanized Fulanis of the Northwest are something close to 10 million. If you remove them from Hausa population, then Hausa shrinks significantly and cannot compete with Yoruba & Igbo.

Between Yoruba & Igbo, it is very very difficult to tell who is the largest.

Yujin:

Most of what you wrote is correct but as for saying 'realistically' Igbos will be the third largest is a big fallacy. The threat of the huge Igbo population was one big factor for the hate in the north in colonial times and even during the war. Igboland had by far the highest population density in sub-saharan Africa

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by GODMALE: 5:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yujin:

igbos have big population before but not now, remember millions were used for suya so they are relegated to 3rd, if they dare try such nonsense again, there won't be tribe call Igbo's in this world

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 5:55pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

You are making a mistake in your bolded.

The tribes of the north who are undergoing Hausanization do not live in Hausa land. They live on their own ancestral lands but hausa influence came on them.

It is only the fulanis of the Northwest who settled in Hausa land.

This whole fulani issue is just very confusing.
Even in the north-east, the fulanis there mostly settled amongst other tribes. It is just that the tribes in the northeast are too small and divided to influence fulani culture to change. However, some still do.

Atiku for instance claims to be from Jada LGA. That place is Chamba land and most of the fulanis there also speak Chamba.

As for the Bauchi tribes, so you mean a Gera christian who still speak Gera and believes he is Gera should be counted as Gera, while his distant muslim cousins who have been muslims and only speak Hausa should be counted as Hausas? It doesn't add up.

Or a Warji person who he and his parents only speak Hausa should be counted as Hausas while their grandmother in the village who can still speak Warji language should be counted as a Warji? Or should everyone be counted as Hausas even when they feel they are not?
Does it add up to you?
Highly controversial but i srltill see the hausas as the largest.while on a research at the calabar archives,i got access to files in which bbritish officers during the 1950s census counted smaller tribes and ibibios as efiks.the file is cadist 130.let me not talk of the 2006 census.am watching a match,una dey distract me
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 5:56pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:

The misconception stem from the fact that firstly Ebiras and Okuns never sit in the same boat on political issues. As a result, the igalas always deliver bloc votes for their candidates and most times will always win. Over the years this has been misconstrued by people to mean that Igalas are the majority in Kogi, when in actuality the Igalas are a plurality (single largest individual ethnic group in the state) but not a majority of the population. Just like Urhobos in Delta.
Tivs in Benue are a real majority, and can single handedly decide the fate of elections even if all the other ethnic groups vote against. Igalas can't single handedly decide the political fate of Kogi if Kogi central and Kogi west have a unanimous voice, but that might never happen.

This coming election will also show that same pattern.

Pls, are you from Kogi state? Can you tell why the Ebiras & Okuns can never unite against Igala?
Both of them have been together in the same political entities for decades, how come they still can never agree till now?
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Astark: 5:56pm On Oct 27, 2019
Benin's, Ibibio, igala, ijaw and urhobo

Which do you think is more populated and in what order?

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 5:57pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yujin:

Population density of Igboland between the Central Anambra and the Central/Imo to Umuahia axis, as well as the central Enugu ridge between Ezike and Udi, I agree. But overall population is still a big toss up to be honest. And by overall population I am also including the Ikwerres, Ikaz, Ogbas, Kwales and all other igbo affiliated groups, even Ekpeye.
Igbo settlement pattern is the same as that the Fon of Southern Benin, still all Fon within Benin cant be more than 4 million.

Density x Landmass is what will result in eventual population not just density alone.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
GODMALE:
igbos have big population before but not now, remember millions were used for suya so they are relegated to 3rd, if they dare try such nonsense again, there won't be tribe call Igbo's in this world
Dude are you mentally and intellectually challenged or something? surely only a dysfunctional mind would conjure filth of this nature, grow up SMH.

9 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 6:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Great analysis!

Hmm, I don't think Urhobos would be clearly more than Igalas unless of course you add Isoko to the Urhobo population.

2ndly, like I was telling garfield. If fulanis are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria, then Hausa cannot be the 1st or even 2nd. They would be the 3rd.
This is because the Hausanized Fulanis of the Northwest are something close to 10 million. If you remove them from Hausa population, then Hausa shrinks significantly and cannot compete with Yoruba & Igbo.

I cant agree with this.lets go into estimates based on 2006 population.katsina had 6 million,fulanis cant have more than one million,in kebbi,fulanis cant have more than 500k like in sokoto and zamfara.in kano,fulanis cant be more than 2 million,jigawa,they cant be more than 500k.in kaduna,there not more than 200k.i haven't even factored in bauchi,niger etc.hausas are slightly more
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 6:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yujin:

This is exactly what I've been saying all through the years. Where are the Hausas they're talking about? It's a rubbish statistics. Christians are a majority in Nigeria. If not for the hatred against Igbos in Nigeria, all these rubbish won't have been seen in Nigeria. Today all Christians are suffering because of the gang up against Igbos.

You are quite correct.
The natural leadership of christians in Nigeria rests in the hands of Igbos (as the largest christian population).

The core-north has succeeded in pitching all other Nigerians to be against Igbos and this is why christians will always be 2nd class in Nigeria even though we are the majority.

This is similar to what happens in Nasarawa state where the Eggons (who are the most hated tribe in the state) are the largest tribe in the state and are predominantly christian.

One thing Igbos & Eggons have in common is pride, arrogancy, a rugged, cunning, unaccomodating, discriminating, domineering and a loud nature.
This is what turns of the other christian tribes and makes them easily manipulated to hate you people.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 6:04pm On Oct 27, 2019
Astark:
Benin's, Ibibio, igala, ijaw and urhobo

Which do you think is more populated and in what order?
Ibibios
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 6:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

I know this.can you give me a figure please
Igbos in the north are within the range of 7-10million. In the West, maximum 7 million. In the SE, 21million and SS- 6million.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 6:08pm On Oct 27, 2019
GODMALE:
what about the Benin's? Or are you saying there are more urhobo, ijaw, Ibibio than the Benin's?

Binis are a dicey case, cause BENIN city is now so diluted, so many Esans, Etsakors, Igbos, Yorubas, Isokos etc now in Benin. I can't even honestly remotely remember what the second largest bini town(or village) probably Abudu near Ika or Utesse near Ondo state? ? The Benins are essentially a city state people. So much aspect of Edo history was focused on Benin city that it looks like the people forgot to produce other towns.

Urhobos, Ijaws and Ibibios are all more populated than Benins.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 6:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Most Yoruba subtribes of today never identified as Yorubas before the British came. It was the British that carried out the merger. They classified similar people together when it suits their interests, while in places like mine (Plateau state), they divided all of us further, so that we will never be a threat to Hausa hegemony in the North.

Only Badagry people and the Ijaws and Edo speaking tribes in Ondo are not originally Yoruba.
Yes, true, many of them are identifying as Yoruba today, but these people are not very many. All of them combined are not up to a million.
It is the same thing na.when the british counted,they hausas were still the largest so lets rest this matter
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 6:11pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Great analysis!

All colonial records had Igbos with more population than Yorubas.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 6:13pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yujin:

Igbos in the north are within the range of 7-10million. In the West, maximum 7 million. In the SE, 21million and SS- 6million.
That will still place you third na
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by GODMALE: 6:13pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:

Binis are a dicey case, cause BENIN city is now so diluted, so many Esans, Etsakors, Igbos, Yorubas, Isokos etc now in Benin. I can't even honestly remotely remember what the second largest bini town(or village) probably Abudu near Ika or Utesse near Ondo state? ? The Benins are essentially a city state people. So much aspect of Edo history was focused on Benin city that it looks like the people forgot to produce other towns.

Urhobos, Ijaws and Ibibios are all more populated than Benins.
undecided I don't understand the point you are trying to make, Benin city is eating up different towns making it into one big city in south Edo state just like how Lagos is a mega city state.

So Benin's shouldn't allow other ethnic groups into their region? That's tribalism

I doubt urhobo are urhobo and Ibibio are more than the Benin's.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 6:16pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

I cant agree with this.lets go into estimates based on 2006 population.katsina had 6 million,fulanis cant have more than one million,in kebbi,fulanis cant have more than 500k like in sokoto and zamfara.in kano,fulanis cant be more than 2 million,jigawa,they cant be more than 500k.in kaduna,there not more than 200k.i haven't even factored in bauchi,niger etc.hausas are slightly more

Hahahaha, you are wrong. Yes fulanis cannot be more than 500k in Kebbi state, but what about the Zurus, Kambaris & Zarmas?
Oh, you think Kebbi is just a Hausa & fulani state?

Zurus or Dakarkari or Lelna are the 2nd largest tribe in Kebbi state, dominating 4 LGAs and they are mostly christian.
Kambaris who are mostly christian too dominate Ngaski LGA while Zarmas have many areas in northern Kebbi like Arewa Dandi and co. Then, Shangawa in Shanga LGA.

Infact Hausas may not be up to 50% in Kebbi state if care is not taken.. Same thing with Kaduna.
Hausas in Bauchi & Niger state are not up to 10%, maybe like around 5%. They are all settlers.

Are you aware that Zamfara, Kano, Jigawa & even Sokoto have some minority tribes? Although they are not more than 10% in each.

Only Katsina is the 100% Hausa & fulani state.
Then if you remove fulanis and hausanized fulanis from these states. Kano, zamfara, Jigawa & Sokoto would be like 65- 70% Hausa, Katsina like 80% Hausa. Then Kebbi & Kaduna (like 40% Hausa), then other northern states like 1-5% each. Where then is their population? They would barely be up to 30 million. Maybe like 25 million.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 6:18pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

That will still place you third na
Lol. Drop your own stats na?
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 6:19pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

It is the same thing na.when the british counted,they hausas were still the largest so lets rest this matter

Yes, this is because the British counted most of the hausanized fulanis too. These people have started intermixing long before the British came.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 6:21pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

What of ogori magongo

I did not count them, they are not Ebiras. Kogi central is 5 LGAs. Ebiras have 4.

3 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

You again.i dont have the energy but i agree with you that christians are slightly more than muslim but you must agree with me that hausas alone without fulanis are the largest group followed by the yorubas and ibos at 22%,20% and 18%.the fourth largest are the fulanis at about 10%.fifth should be kanuris before the tivs.the ijaws are next before ibibios,nupes,igalas,gwaris,urhobos,binis not far behind.please dont argue with this.

Sorry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 6:23pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Pls, are you from Kogi state? Can you tell why the Ebiras & Okuns can never unite against Igala?
Both of them have been together in the same political entities for decades, how come they still can never agree till now?

The mind of the average okun is not in kogi, it is stuck in Ilorin, Ibadan, Ile-Ife or Lagos.lol funny but 'it is a true something'. Even during elections their turnout is usually the lowest. They are not enthused about the entire prospect of 'Kogi' at all.. To the Igalas, Kogi is nirvana. The state na their papa property, an avenue to finally develop their land after years of shackling under Benue-Plateau to Benue then to Kwara (Where they were jokingly called 'abroad kwarans' because there was no bridge between Itobe and Ajaokuta at the time like it does now, they had to use Canoes to even get to their own capital in ilorin and other parts of the state) grin nd then again under Benue before they finally landed in Paradise Kogi cheesy

Ebiras are the ones in a dicey situation here, because left to the Okuns they won't even be Kogites. Igalas are happy where they are. Ebiras however will never share a state alone with Igalas and don't want to return to a state where they would be an even smaller minority under a heavy yoruba majority (Kwara). I just feel it is because of them that Kogi was even brought together as an entity cos Igala population alone can't sustain a state so the western half were brought over from Kwara to join, together with the centrally located and historically significant town of lokoja.

The truth is that Okuns and Ebiras have different political agendas but they can still come together if they really want to. They just have to come by a rotation agreement and Igala domination will be history.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 6:30pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yujin:

I'm 100% sure of that. Just three states in the north would cover that population. You don't know the population distribution of Igbos. Outside Lagos and its satellite communities in Ogun state, where else in the SW do Igbos have such conspicuous presence?

Everywhere there. Even if they are tiny, theya re still present.
In many places within this obodo Nigeria ,igbos are tiny but prominent component of the fabric of towns. That is what many people don't know. prominent is not the same as populated That is how one of you was arguing with a cross riverian that migrant Igbo Communities were more than the Ibibios in C/River state and he was telling you guyz the reality on ground.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 27, 2019
J

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 6:41pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Great analysis!

Compare Delta central 100% Urhobo to Kogi East, Igala plus minorities from 2006, you will see that Urhobos are more than Igalas. (within the homelands at least) Mind you, Warri metropolis is not even Delta central but Delta south and there are still Urhobos there.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 6:45pm On Oct 27, 2019
GODMALE:
I wanted to insult you but I'm afraid mods will ban me. First of all you said ebira people in Yoruba land and Edo state will be close to 1 million? I'm sure you mean 98% of that 1 million will be from Yorubaland because ebira in Edo state won't be more than 50,000 if I'm been generous.

Second of alall you are trying to downplay Benin population saying esans and afemai are larger, let me educate you about Edo state.

Benin's are likely to be 60% of the state controlling over 50% of the state total landmass in general even in esanland(igueben) most esans regard them as Benin's because they are no difference.

You also try to say esans travel more than Benin's which is also false infact esans hardly travel, after igbos and Yoruba's Benin is the next ethnic group with highest immigration rate.

So it's an insult to Benin's to try comparing their population to esans and Edo north (even if you add all of them together).

scholes0:

You are right on most of your points, but no census have ever shown esans to be more than Binis. Although Esans have more villages than the Edos, but Benin is a massive metropolis, and even though esans are now a prominent population within the Benis Metro LGAs of Ikpoba Okha, Egor and Oredo and even parts of Ovia North east, they are still no match for the Binis population wise.

You are also right about the ebira population in SW and Edo
Although realistically speaking Ebiras still can't be up to 3 million. assuming 1 million of them are in Kogi (Tao+Koto) their communities in Toto nassarawa) and Abaji (Fct) are few and scattered. 200,000 max.

Of course, Esans can never match Bini population in Benin.
I was born and bred in Warri and I discovered that in Warri and Asaba and even PH, you will meet 5 esan people first before you meet 1 Benin person. Same thing with Lagos.

Benin people hardly leave Benin to anywhere else apart from Italy. Unlike Esans who move everywhere and are visible everywhere.

Same thing with the Afemais. Etsako (Auchi) people with their muslim religion are well represented in the north. You see them in Kaduna, Jos, Kano & Zaria.
The Akoko edos are very much in Yoruba land.

Are you people aware that so many Urhobos are living in Benin villages? All those Ovia areas down to Ore forests have many Urhobo and even Yoruba communities who dominate the Palm oil plantations. These people are not Benin people.

How about the Ijaws who have up to 10 towns in Ikpobha-Okha & Ovia villages? All those Siluko and Gelegele areas along the coast into Ondo state?

Benins cannot be up to half of Edo state. It is impossible. Where are the communities?

As for Ebira, how can you say Ebira Tao + Koto are 1 million? Are u aware that Okene was the most populated LGA in Kogi state in 2006 census? Only the Ebira migrants in Yoruba land are up to 1 million, let alone those in Kogi.

Ebiras are well represented in the north too, but so are Igalas, so it won't count much.

Yes, Ebiras of FCT and Nasarawa are not likely more than 200k. But those in Yoruba land, Edo state, Tao of Kogi central & Koto of Lokoja/Koton karfe are more than 2 million combined.

Wait, be sincere, how many Ebiras will you say are all over Yorubaland up to Kwara? I need a figure.

@GODMALE, you said Ebiras are not more than 50,000 in Edo state, are you aware that Igarras/Etunos who have the largest town in Akoko edo are also Ebira speaking people?
What about the Ebiras who I heard are now up to 30% of Ososo town and the majority in Aiyegunle?

Cc deadlytruth my Oshuku friend grin
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by JonDon12: 6:49pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

This statistic is absolute bullshit. There is no way in hell Hausas & fulanis combined can equal the population of Yorubas & Igbos combined, let alone only Hausa being equal to Yoruba & Igbo combined.

Also, muslims can never be the majority in Nigeria.
In Southern Nigeria, only in Oyo & Osun states are muslims up to half/more of the population, meanwhile you have Northern Nigeria where Benue, Plateau, Taraba and FCT are predominantly/overwhemingly christian, and Kogi, Nasarawa, Adamawa & Kaduna states as around a 50/50. Then Borno, Kebbi, Niger, Gombe & Kwara who have at least 25-40% of it's population as christian.

With this, how on earth can muslims be a majority in Nigeria? Americans should shove up that stupid and useless statistics up their asses.

Muslims are a majority in Nigeria, That is a fact. You are a citizen of a muslim country. One of the most backward ones too. Not only is Nigeria a muslim mahority country, They are our defacto rulers. They rule in the North and amongst the Yoruba, They are first class citizens. In Yorubaland, most of their Obas are Muslim, the otunbas as well. The state governers are muslim as well as the political, afenifere and OPC chieftains. This is Nigerias reality. The British made sure the Muslims remained in charge because they are easier to control.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 6:52pm On Oct 27, 2019
FulaniJihadists:

You must be very stupid for saying Fulani is up 10% of Nigeria's population

Bro, Fulanis are many in Nigeria if you count the Hausanized Fulanis as Fulanis. They are up to 15 million.
However, if it is just the Pure Fulanis, then they are like 5-7 million.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 7:01pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:

Compare Delta central 100% Urhobo to Kogi East, Igala plus minorities from 2006, you will see that Urhobos are more than Igalas. (within the homelands at least) Mind you, Warri metropolis is not even Delta central but Delta south and there are still Urhobos there.

Delta central is more cosmopolitan than Kogi east because places like Uvwie & Udu have merged with Warri and have many tribes living there. Same with Ughelli & Sapele towns.
Delta central is far far more urbanized unlike Kogi east.
How many immigrants are living in Ankpa or Anyigba? Everybody is Igala.

Yes, you also have Urhbos in Warri south and a small minority in Patani & Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa. However, Igalas have up to 6 towns in the SE/SS and some communities in Apa LGA of Benue state.

Lastly, Igalas migrate more than Urhobos as of today. Igalas are becoming intimidating in Abuja, they are also very many in Kaduna, Jos & Kano, they are in Igbo land too.
Urhobo migrants on the other hand only have strong populations in Benin villages & Ajegunle (Lagos).
Both tribes should be something very close to equal.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 7:01pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Of course, Esans can never match Bini population in Benin.
I was born and bred in Warri and I discovered that in Warri and Asaba and even PH, you will meet 5 esan people first before you meet 1 Benin person. Same thing with Lagos.

Benin people hardly leave Benin to anywhere else apart from Italy. Unlike Esans who move everywhere and are visible everywhere.

Same thing with the Afemais. Etsako (Auchi) people with their muslim religion are well represented in the north. You see them in Kaduna, Jos, Kano & Zaria.
The Akoko edos are very much in Yoruba land.

Are you people aware that so many Urhobos are living in Benin villages? All those Ovia areas down to Ore forests have many Urhobo and even Yoruba communities who dominate the Palm oil plantations. These people are not Benin people.

How about the Ijaws who have up to 10 towns in Ikpobha-Okha & Ovia villages? All those Siluko and Gelegele areas along the coast into Ondo state?

Benins cannot be up to half of Edo state. It is impossible. Where are the communities?

As for Ebira, how can you say Ebira Tao + Koto are 1 million? Are u aware that Okene was the most populated LGA in Kogi state in 2006 census? Only the Ebira migrants in Yoruba land are up to 1 million, let alone those in Kogi.

Ebiras are well represented in the north too, but so are Igalas, so it won't count much.

Yes, Ebiras of FCT and Nasarawa are not likely more than 200k. But those in Yoruba land, Edo state, Tao of Kogi central & Koto of Lokoja/Koton karfe are more than 2 million combined.

Wait, be sincere, how many Ebiras will you say are all over Yorubaland up to Kwara? I need a figure.

@GODMALE, you said Ebiras are not more than 50,000 in Edo state, are you aware that Igarras/Etunos who have the largest town in Akoko edo are also Ebira speaking people?
What about the Ebiras who I heard are now up to 30% of Ososo town and the majority in Aiyegunle?

Cc deadlytruth my Oshuku friend grin

I am the one that said Ebiras are now plenty in Ososo ... wait wasn't that like 2-3 years ago grin this guy you no dey forget something.
Ebiras in Edo.... 100K
Ebiras in SW - 300K

Okene is the largest LGA yes, Okene plus Adavi is the single largest conurbation in Kogi even larger than lokoja. But outside the obvious size of Okene township, what is the population of Kogi central? What is the population of Kogi lga at Koto karfe that will justify or support the 3 million figure. Kogi central if I were generous and say 900k plus Kogi lga another 100k that is 1Mill. Nassarawa plus f.c.t 200k like you already agreed, that is 1.2 million.. sounds about right for Ebira. Diasporic population in north: Unknown.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 7:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

You are quite correct.
The natural leadership of christians in Nigeria rests in the hands of Igbos (as the largest christian population).

The core-north has succeeded in pitching all other Nigerians to be against Igbos and this is why christians will always be 2nd class in Nigeria even though we are the majority.

This is similar to what happens in Nasarawa state where the Eggons (who are the most hated tribe in the state) are the largest tribe in the state and are predominantly christian.

One thing Igbos & Eggons have in common is pride, arrogancy, a rugged, cunning, unaccomodating, discriminating, domineering and a loud nature.
This is what turns of the other christian tribes and makes them easily manipulated to hate you people.
Lol. The other adjectives I may not dispute but as for cunning and unaccomodating, that's not true. The problem is that Igbos don't like weaklings and if you appear so then you will think they are cunning and unaccommodating because they are treat you as someone they don't want. Weaklings are weak links. If you prove your worth they'll respect you and welcome you as a man. Many of those who do businesses with Igbos can attest to this. Well, thread is about demography so let me stop here.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

IGR: Lagos Leads As FCT Beats Rivers, Kano, 33 Others / Schools Shut By Enforcers Of Sit-at-home In Imo / Photos Of A Nairalander With Obaseki, His State Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.