Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,128 members, 7,814,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (28028 Views)

Despite Importation Ban, Foreign Rice Floods Nigerian Markets / Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 1:15pm On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
mumu, go and ask in the north not everyone eats catfish. In the south not everyone likes tilapia fish. You sit in one state all your life talking as if you understand how economies work. Go and sleep my friend!
if you cannot eat catfish then forget about eating fish. Even in norway not everyone eats stockfish and there is nothing anybody can do about it. The government cannot hurt the economy because of the preferences of you lazy lot.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 1:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
Prymestrr:

Do you farm stockfish
yes thats how they farm stockfish in the north sea and send it over to you to cook soup after drying process.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by onyxo76(m): 1:20pm On Nov 03, 2019
chibu4u2:
shocked

Go the market to buy foodstuffs, the next thing u hear is " u no know say border don close?"

Things are just too expensive in the market.
no be small thing, yesterday i wanted to buy this black refuse sack for packing trash, boy i search tire and when i got it was 500 naira, something i buy for 300 -350 naira normally, this border thing is really making things tight for so many people.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by MUMUdom: 1:23pm On Nov 03, 2019
You are talking trash. Very stvpid and nonsensical trash! The fact that Ghana exports items to Nigeria doesn’t mean Ghana’s economy depends on Nigeria. Get that into your stvpid head! Are nigerians still not exporting to Ghana, even with the borders closed? Why don’t nigerians stop trading with Ghana?

You Nigerians will soon be laughing on the wrong sides of your mouths grin the $300,000 requirement to set up a shop in Ghana for foreigners will now go up to $1 milllion, and there is nothing anybody can do or say about it.

Now we know ecowas is dead, so who will intervene for Nigerians when Ghana asks nigerians to quit retail trading in Ghana? That is when people like you will know closing your border arbitrarily was a very stvpid thing to do. Fuckeduppedness

nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria.

I was watching their TV news on DStv as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria.

Ghana Traders union inserted a law in their constitution that for a Nigerian to open even small provision shop the person must first pay them $300,000 us dollars. That's the most wicked law Ive ever seen in my life. That's like saying we don't want Nigerians in our country.

But our recent border closure exposed this Ghanaian traders Union, they all come to Nigeria to buy all manner of goods to sell in Ghana.

What if Nigerian government to put into law that only Ghanaian traders must pay us $300,000 us dollars before they can buy a wheelbarrow load of engine oil cans from Ladipo. Since we all want to be mad in Africa let's all be mad.

So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news,

good thing Buhari can't read. You're wasting your time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by onyxo76(m): 1:23pm On Nov 03, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
They closed seaports too? Cos I don't see what border closure gotta do with this undecided
how many things will you bring through the sea port? we have only the one in lagos operating as far as i know, port is even over congested already.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 1:25pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
if you cannot eat catfish then forget about eating fish. Even in norway not everyone eats stockfish and there is nothing anybody can do about it. The government cannot hurt the economy because of the preferences of you lazy lot.
Mumu! Very soon you'll start sewing Ankara because that's the only fabric Nigeria produces. If you can't do that feel free to wrap yourself with banana leaves. Awu!

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Remmy07: 1:30pm On Nov 03, 2019
E gbawa ooo eyi gaju
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 1:36pm On Nov 03, 2019
niaralandtopuser:

People on nairaland make it seems as if there are only rich or privilege people in Nigeria? Some people work all day just to feed.where can they get funds to start anything? Life is not just black and white as you guys seems to think.not all jobless guys are lazy
i stand in what i said that guys are lazy. What does it take to go into farming? the oil boom has made young people lazy. Go to clubs and see what young men are doing with money. People have lands inherited from parents but they would prefer to sell the land in order to buy a car and do big boy.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 1:39pm On Nov 03, 2019
ZombieTERROR:

Our backyard?
Lol... Go and get it then..

We have depleted our eco system bro.. With nothing to add or show
Very soon.. Even snakes will be extinct here
not true. my brother by the time buhari leaves, farmers would be more richer than bank ceos.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 1:41pm On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
Mumu! Very soon you'll start sewing Ankara because that's the only fabric Nigeria produces. If you can't do that feel free to wrap yourself with banana leaves. Awu!
yes. you are very lazy and there is nothing buhari will do to please you.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 1:46pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
yes. you are very lazy and there is nothing buhari will do to please you.
I see. Sorry I argued with a demented dead brained Nigerian zombie. I even thought I was sharing talks with a sensible Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by gidjah(m): 2:04pm On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria.

I was watching their TV news on DStv as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria.

Ghana Traders union inserted a law in their constitution that for a Nigerian to open even small provision shop the person must first pay them $300,000 us dollars. That's the most wicked law Ive ever seen in my life. That's like saying we don't want Nigerians in our country.

But our recent border closure exposed this Ghanaian traders Union, they all come to Nigeria to buy all manner of goods to sell in Ghana.

What if Nigerian government to put into law that only Ghanaian traders must pay us $300,000 us dollars before they can buy a wheelbarrow load of engine oil cans from Ladipo. Since we all want to be mad in Africa let's all be mad.

So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

you spoke my mind sir, really appreciate your exposure and open analysis. Why should a well meaning Nigerian import palmoil and stew ??haba?who swear on us sef as blacks??our tribalism and geographical differences which we practice in ruling our selves have really blinded us , we are now slaves to otherAfrivan nations making money out of us .I also wish our boarders remain closed till this issues are resolved . Every arm of securities manning those boarders should be checked and vetted.serious probing should be carried out on them. YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW RICH THOSE SECURITY ARMS ARE IN TERMS OF INDIVIDUALS.THEY ARE SO SO RICH THAT some of them do not k iw what to do with money!!let that sector be over hauled

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ZombieTERROR: 2:04pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
not true. my brother by the time buhari leaves, farmers would be more richer than bank ceos.

Is it Buhari that stops them from being rich now?
Oh... You are gonna tell me it takes centuries

The truth is golden
You can't give what you don't have...
We don't have the capacity and ability to be self sufficient in food right now... Especially stockfish
Hence the price hike
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 2:05pm On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
I see. Sorry I argued with a demented dead brained Nigerian zombie. I even thought I was sharing talks with a sensible Nigerian.
it is your mother that is demented and dead zombified fool.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 2:10pm On Nov 03, 2019
ZombieTERROR:

Is it Buhari that stops them from being rich now?
Oh... You are gonna tell me it takes centuries

The truth is golden
You can't give what you don't have...
We don't have the capacity and ability to be self sufficient in food right now... Especially stockfish
Hence the price hike
who says who. The country that are self sufficient do they have the manpower, arable land and water resources that Nigeria has? the oil boom made us lazy bro. We have rain, we have sun, we have the population, even banks are ready to give loans. Why can't people stop buying what they they dont need and invest. Even in this thread somebody replied me that has tons of fish for sale but nobody will want to patronize we prefer to buy fish from norway because we have been eating it since 1960.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 03, 2019
onyxo76:
how many things will you bring through the sea port? we have only the one in lagos operating as far as i know, port is even over congested already.
But that's the route stock fish come in na
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Barblow(m): 2:14pm On Nov 03, 2019
To every Nigerian that cares to listen there are lots and different kinds of stock fishes in that small river at your backyard. Contact me for further info
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 2:20pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
it is your mother that is demented and dead zombified fool.
I'm sure your Mother will be disappointed to know you are a Buhari supporter and the blame is on your Father who should've have taught you how to make good choices in life.

You are a disappointment to your parents and children.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 2:22pm On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
I'm sure your Mother will be disappointed to know you are a Buhari supporter and the blame is on your Father who should've have taught you how to make good choices in life.

You are a disappointment to your parents and children.
your mother is a disappointment to mankind.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ZombieTERROR: 2:24pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
who says who. The country that are self sufficient do they have the manpower, arable land and water resources that Nigeria has? the oil boom made us lazy bro. We have rain, we have sun, we have the population, even banks are ready to give loans. Why can't people stop buying what they they dont need and invest. Even in this thread somebody replied me that has tons of fish for sale but nobody will want to patronize we prefer to buy fish from norway because we have been eating it since 1960.

He has stockfish and nobody wants to buy?
And you didn't ask him the price

Only few can afford these things right now
People manage themselves with crayfish

Every country trades... Even America
You can't just wake Up one morning and shut your boarders on numerous items.. The people will only suffer.. The poor surely..

This requires systematic planning and implementation.. It's just ill thought out policy
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

Am still finding it hard drawing a correlation between what u just typed as a response to this:

"Then y are u insulting? How did he say d truth in a foolish way? Does that negate d truth he said?"
try harder
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 2:28pm On Nov 03, 2019
ZombieTERROR:

He has stockfish and nobody wants to buy?
And you didn't ask him the price

Only few can afford these things right now
People manage themselves with crayfish

Every country trades... Even America
You can't just wake Up one morning and shut your boarders on numerous items.. The people will only suffer.. The poor surely..

This requires systematic planning and implementation.. It's just ill thought out policy
Do you know how long they have planning about the closure, this was the last resort to curb smuggling. it is only those the customs in the border that would tell you the challenge they face. I hope you heard they made 9 billion in just one week. Buhari is not a fool, he knows how much the border closure is generating. Which America? America that has been banning items produced in the country, what of their trade war with China. Guy you never know how far.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

Ghana come into Nigeria to buy this, Ghana come into Nigeria to buy that. In all this your write up, I did not see anywhere you said Ghana came in to take this, or Ghana come into Nigeria to steal that.

If it was a western country that was coming into your country to buy things to sell in their countries, I'm sure you will be happy... But because it is your fellow black Africa country, that's why you're mad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Just30: 2:31pm On Nov 03, 2019
ikennaf1:

Ghana come into Nigeria to buy this, Ghana come into Nigeria to buy that. In all this your write up, I did not see anywhere you said Ghana came in to take this, or Ghana come into Nigeria to steal that.

If it was a western country that was coming into your country to buy things to sell in their countries, I'm sure you will be happy... But because it is your fellow black Africa country, that's why you're mad.
grin grin grin grin

he doesnt know that it is his economy that is suffering when no one is buying from him

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Hairyrapunzel: 2:32pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
go into fish farming simple
With which river? Rivers that have been polluted??
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 2:34pm On Nov 03, 2019
Hairyrapunzel:

With which river? Rivers that have been polluted??
do you actually need river for fish farming? what you just said is the exact example given in proverbs about a lazy man.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Ibime(m): 2:39pm On Nov 03, 2019
Sirwallace:

I read your comment and shake my head.
What a stupid mindset and inferiority complex.

And to the rest of Y"all, what is this silly obsession with foreign products!

There's nothing inferior about it.

Okporoko is now our own, and an important part of the Nigerian palette, even though it can only be cured in Arctic conditions.

All the spices used by Englishmen are not native to England. They started using spices when people started bringing it back from India, and use those spices till today even though they don't grow it. I'm talking Tumeric, Cinnamon etc. Even banana which is a food staple in Europe does not grow in Europe.

You are the one with inferiority complex.

Free our Okporoko.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ZombieTERROR: 2:39pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
Do you know how long they have planning about the closure, this was the last resort to curb smuggling. it is only those the customs in the border that would tell you the challenge they face. I hope you heard they made 9 billion in just one week. Buhari is not a fool, he knows how much the border closure is generating. Which America? America that has been banning items produced in the country, what of their trade war with China. Guy you never know how far.

No need arguing with you... I'm done
BTW How long did the customs tell you they planned the closure?
Great percentage of Chinese products make it to the American market till this day...
No one.. I mean no one wakes Up one morning like this administration and close the borders..

I will like to correct you there... Buhari is a living fool... All he cares about is using taxpayers money on private sojourns
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ChaosMagus: 3:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

You are as ignorant as those who liked your comment. So Ghanaians buy products in Nigeria and sell in Ghana means Ghana depends on Nigeria. Is it bad to buy from Nigeria and sell somewhere. Dont some Nigerian traders buy some items from Ghana and sell in Nigeria. Is it also bad?. Sometimes i read you guy's comments and i wonder how you guys reason.

Close the border for 100 years and you think Ghana's economy will collapse? You must be dumb to think so. Go check how much products Ghana produces and exports to nigeria and vise versa, when you finish check the growth rate of both countries. And come back and tell me whether it will collapse our economy as you guys claim. My foot... Our leaders come to talk you over to open that border becos thats what a sane government should do. Even if Togo decides to for instance ban our products, our government must go and talk things over with them.

Concerning the issue of retail trade in Ghana. The law is as old as our Constitution, its to reserve the space for Ghanaians. The law is to promote bigger retail investment and employment instead of that table top retail. And why do you guys always refer to this law. Dont you also know Nigeria has a similar law. Yes Nigeria has a similar law. That is why every year they select some goods that are 100% produced in Ghana and other countries in ecowas and ban them from entering Nigeria. Ask yourself why.

Like I said close your border for 100 years and our economy will grow at a comfortable 8% more, with or without you. We are on fire and noone can stop us.

Come to think of it why dont also shut your seaport, if you are really serious about this your thing. If you can shut your seaport and ban generator importation then i know you guys are really really serious, until then cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 3:09pm On Nov 03, 2019
ZombieTERROR:

No need arguing with you... I'm done
BTW How long did the customs tell you they planned the closure?
Great percentage of Chinese products make it to the American market till this day...
No one.. I mean no one wakes Up one morning like this administration and close the borders..

I will like to correct you there... Buhari is a living fool... All he cares about is using taxpayers money on private sojourns
buhari and his men at the customs might have been planning and scheming on how to end smuggling and to encourage local production. Closing the border was the final resort.
Yes chinese products do and President trump is working hard to stop it.
Probably you support smuggling and unbridled importation at least it makes commerce easy but the people at the top don't.
if you are averse to border closure thats your opinion but there are millions making a killing from it.
Buhari is not a fool, you know why he is the President and you are not.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ZombieTERROR: 3:12pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
buhari and his men at the customs might have been planning and scheming on how to end smuggling and to encourage local production. Closing the border was the final resort.
Yes chinese products do and President trump is working hard to stop it.
Probably you support smuggling and unbridled importation at least it makes commerce easy but the people at the top don't.
if you are averse to border closure thats your opinion but there are millions making a killing from it.
Buhari is not a fool, you know why he is the President and you are not.

They might have been......
Good day please
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 3:14pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
your mother is a disappointment to mankind.
Hehehehe what business has my mother got to do with mankind? Your mother on the other hand has to explain to your father how an impotent man like him got a demented son from a bipolar mother who has everything to do with man-kind. Go and ask your mother who your real father is. I'm sure he's from South Sudan or Daura.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Young Man Makes Pepper Soup With Bush Rat After Hunting It Down. Photos / How to Make Kidney Beans Sauce (Pictures, Video) / See The Carrots & Onions I Bought For N400 In Asaba This Morning (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.