Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (27994 Views)

Despite Importation Ban, Foreign Rice Floods Nigerian Markets / Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by id4sho(m): 7:47am On Nov 03, 2019
niggi4life:
Seems people are still not getting it. The closure of the borders is a wake up call for indigenous Nigerians to start their business and they will flourish.

If neighbouring countries are bent on exporting their goods to Nigeria, let them do so by either sea or air. Simple!
oil dey ur head. God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Iamgrey5(m): 7:47am On Nov 03, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
What is okro, onugbu soup without stock fish?
Stock Fish is not indigenous to Nigeria.

How did our great grandparents eat okro?

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Tajbol4splend(m): 7:47am On Nov 03, 2019
Shouldn't the closure be limited to the stuff we produce in Nigeria
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Machinegun91(m): 7:48am On Nov 03, 2019
Nigerians like complaints, replace stockfish with crayfish. simple

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Deasegun19(m): 7:48am On Nov 03, 2019
just like how the government closed the border, they should give loans and land to graduate from each local government to start farming... my two cents

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Sam0(m): 7:49am On Nov 03, 2019
when the desirable is not available make the available desirable.Better,go for the one that have close substitute to stockfish. the scarcity will not be forever. That is why economics is in our educational syllabus.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by donvicky2007: 7:49am On Nov 03, 2019
jamillion:
Effect of the recent closure of Nigerian border by federal government have not only affect rice importation but also seems to be taking a toll on other forign commodities in Nigerian markets. Stock fish as one among the rest is becoming scarce in the market and the little, one can get from grocery shops are being sold in unusual prizes. People of God, do you think this is a good pointer to a better Nigeria?

Stock fish isn't scarce in the market, try and make your research and the price haven't change also.

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jammer777: 7:49am On Nov 03, 2019
naijadrivablog:
Hmm. I am blessed to know a former Deputy Director of NAQS and he told me how he went to Tromsø to see how stock fish are cured and after that trip, he doesn't eat stock fish again.

The Norwegians that produce this stock fish (okporoko) don't eat it. It is for export only.

Just take the issue of rice from Thailand (5-10yrs stored rice sold to us) as a related case.

Can you tell us pls?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Afobear: 7:50am On Nov 03, 2019
Nigerians are really dumb !!! See them shouting go into fish farming like deranged folks . Don't you all know that stockfish which is a cod fish isn't farmable in Nigeria ? Una go just open una dirty mouth de talk wetin una no Sabi

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Didi2d(m): 7:51am On Nov 03, 2019
This border closure issue don taya me.
There will be a documentary on it on TVC tonight 10pm

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Opiletool(m): 7:52am On Nov 03, 2019
Jamesilvar:

Have you seen Cod fish in our waters?

I'm not a fisherman oga. Just say there's none in our waters, just like a sensible person already pointed out to me earlier.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Perkins1: 7:55am On Nov 03, 2019
The borders are not closed! You have anything to import... Go through the ports or cargo.

All these tears na from smugglers.

No more complaint of rice now it's stockfish small time we will complain of no Knockouts to blow at Christmas!

grin

9 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by stanley000: 7:55am On Nov 03, 2019
the shithole states should take advantage of this and contribute more to the economy. the boarder remain as it is.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by itunity007(m): 7:56am On Nov 03, 2019
noble71:
Nigerians can complain for Africa!!!
Price of rice has increased! Yes! Why not go into agriculture and make millions.
There is stock fish scarcity why not go into fish farming and make millions.
They will complain that unemployment rate has increased but I see lots of opportunities to make money in this closed border.
China developed because their government ban importation of many things.
I support this border closure! It's just that the timing was wrong.
and that's what we are saying when is the time right?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by nnamdibig(m): 7:56am On Nov 03, 2019
I am not in support of complete border closure but we complain alot in Nigeria. If stockfish is scarce, then we should eat more dryfish and catfish that we farm locally. Must we complain about every single imported product that is no longer available in the market??

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by smile11s(m): 7:57am On Nov 03, 2019
If we don’t have okporoko, then what is soup?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Perkins1: 8:00am On Nov 03, 2019
smile11s:
If we don’t have okporoko, then what is soup?

I don't eat Okporoko and I still enjoy my swallow. So soup must go down, Okporoko or not.

Nna'nna anyi didn't die because of lack of Okporoko in the early 1970s.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by unityresource: 8:01am On Nov 03, 2019
Let's start eating what we can get in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 03, 2019
Story of my life yesterday at the market.
The woman selling stock fish had to tell me Stock fish comes from Norway which I totally had no idea of before then.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by berrystunn(m): 8:02am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria. I was watching their TV news as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria. So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period

Free trade in West Africa .
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by smile11s(m): 8:03am On Nov 03, 2019
Perkins1:

I don't eat Okporoko and I still enjoy my swallow. So soup must go down, Okporoko or not.

Nna'nna anyi didn't die because of lack of Okporoko in the early 1970s.

Soup without okporoko is not a complete soup. Swallow dey make sense when you swallow and then use your tongue to find okporoko

5 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by CyberWolf: 8:05am On Nov 03, 2019
An opportunity for business minded people. Be like say person go enter this farming business oo .. Money dey am as long as border will remain closed.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by whirlwind7(m): 8:06am On Nov 03, 2019
[i][/i]
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria. I was watching their TV news as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria. So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period

See the bolded?
No, Benin Republic didn't cheat Nigeria
Nigeria cheated itself.

In it's bid to subjugate the SE and SS, the country decided to make Lagos port the only functional one, rather than expanding the capacity of other ports in the south.
Ok, so far, so good. But common sense should let the same govt realize that it needs to upgrade Lagos port to cope with the huge demands of a country with population of over 180m. The govt didn't.
Check out the Oshodi-Apapa "expressway" that feeds the port.
Importers and exporters alike accrue demurrage through no fault of theirs. The roads are deathtraps.
Once people realized that they can do business faster and cheaper through Benin republic port, they switched over to it.

Remember, nature does not tolerate a vacuum. Nigeria govt fvcked up, and Benin govt stepped up.
After closing the borders without developing it's own ports, the country will get worse than it already is.
It is simple logic.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by sonature1: 8:06am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news, good thing Buhari can't read.

You were making sense until you got to the emboldened.

Does Nigeria also subsidize female hair and spare parts?

I am not against border closure, but Buhari and his goons should fix our power to reduce the cost of producing goods locally.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by nototribalist: 8:10am On Nov 03, 2019
berrystunn:

Free trade in West Africa .

Which kind free trade. We've been warning about foreign regions using smaller African countries as conduit to flood our market with products.

Africans risk their life in the Mediterranean Sea just to go work in a poultry house. Meanwhile frozen chicken are being sold to us in Africa.

Why can't people start fish and poultry farms, Africa have the land mass that are so empty waiting for it's citizens to start something. But no, we want the easy way out

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:10am On Nov 03, 2019
noble71:
Nigerians can complain for Africa!!!
Price of rice has increased! Yes! Why not go into agriculture and make millions.
There is stock fish scarcity why not go into fish farming and make millions.
They will complain that unemployment rate has increased but I see lots of opportunities to make money in this closed border.
China developed because their government ban importation of many things.
I support this border closure! It's just that the timing was wrong.

There will never be a right time.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ednut1(m): 8:11am On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
Hmmmm! You Buhari supportesupportersr talk dumb a times. What do you mean by start a fish farm. Do you mean we should start stockfish farming in Nigeria?

Do you even know what a life stockfish look like?
it can be imported thru apapa. Enter the business na
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by WildChild00(m): 8:11am On Nov 03, 2019
Jesu no more oporoko shocked
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Mutemenot(m): 8:11am On Nov 03, 2019
It does not concern the northerners cos they dont eat like other zones ...
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Emyogalanya: 8:11am On Nov 03, 2019
Mcreloaded:
In the early 70s to early 80s head of stock fish head was not sold or eaten in Nigeria.
Then kpanla was very dry and you need saw blade to cut it to pieces.

When the economy started to go bad in the mid 80s thats when we started seeing kpanla head for sale in the markets.
How things have changed
head of stock fish head? Which kind of fish could that be?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lakesider(m): 8:14am On Nov 03, 2019
The write up shows how stupid and daft the op is
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by mexyk(m): 8:14am On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
Hmmmm! You Buhari supportesupportersr talk dumb a times. What do you mean by start a fish farm. Do you mean we should start stockfish farming in Nigeria?

Do you even know what a life stockfish look like?
Better wake from your slumber. What exactly is wrong with what he said? Firstly, we need to start thinking about import substitutions and how to improve them from our end. The catfish many people rear have so much potential, with some value addition like drying or smoking.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

My Foodie Visit To Sonoma, California / Young Man Makes Pepper Soup With Bush Rat After Hunting It Down. Photos / How to Make Kidney Beans Sauce (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.