Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets - Food (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (28055 Views)

Despite Importation Ban, Foreign Rice Floods Nigerian Markets / Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 3:17pm On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
Hehehehe what business has my mother got to do with mankind? Your mother on the other hand has to explain to your father how an impotent man like him got a demented son from a bipolar mother who has everything to do with man-kind. Go and ask your mother who your real father is. I'm sure he's from South Sudan or Daura.
is your mother that is a demented idiot.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 3:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
ZombieTERROR:

They might have been......
Good day please
yes because your insinuation that they just woke up is a fallacy.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 3:24pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
is your mother that is a demented idiot.
I'm sure you are belle full with N30 rice and meat from kano that's why you come here talking out of your anus.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by edoairways: 3:24pm On Nov 03, 2019
Empredboy:
tell me the price of things that has ever come down in Nigeria?
Sim card

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ttmax09(m): 3:24pm On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria.

I was watching their TV news on DStv as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria.

Ghana Traders union inserted a law in their constitution that for a Nigerian to open even small provision shop the person must first pay them $300,000 us dollars. That's the most wicked law Ive ever seen in my life. That's like saying we don't want Nigerians in our country.

But our recent border closure exposed this Ghanaian traders Union, they all come to Nigeria to buy all manner of goods to sell in Ghana.

What if Nigerian government to put into law that only Ghanaian traders must pay us $300,000 us dollars before they can buy a wheelbarrow load of engine oil cans from Ladipo. Since we all want to be mad in Africa let's all be mad.

So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news,

[b]good thing Buhari can't read. [/b]You're wasting your time.
He said buhari can't read.

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by sulaak(m): 3:25pm On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
Hmmmm! You Buhari supporters talk dumb a times. What do you mean by start a fish farm. Do you mean we should start stockfish farming in Nigeria?

Do you even know what a life stockfish (codfish) look like?

PS: for those of you quoting me...
1: No, one mustn't eat codfish but note that not everyone eats catfish as well. Especially in the north where they believe it is a carnivore

2: You cannot breed a codfish in Nigeria as a business because this fish natural habitat is icy salt waters which can only be bred in northern Europe (Norway & Iceland)

3: instead of closing the border of Nigeria, why not reduce tarriff and import tax. Closing the border means even Nigerians can't export our commodity to other African countries through land border. Thereby creating unfavorable balance of trade and breech of bilateral agreements

Stockfish was introducing during the 1967 civil war, to feed starving Nigerian children, do we have to continue importing and eating this product that we cannot afford.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 3:26pm On Nov 03, 2019
awwfar:
try harder

I have and I don't see how what u said relates to this:

"Then y are u insulting? How did he say d truth in a foolish way? Does that negate d truth he said?"

Kindly expantiate
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 3:27pm On Nov 03, 2019
edoairways:

Sim card
only?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 3:27pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
i stand in what i said that guys are lazy. What does it take to go into farming? the oil boom has made young people lazy. Go to clubs and see what young men are doing with money. People have lands inherited from parents but they would prefer to sell the land in order to buy a car and do big boy.

Have u gone into farming?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 3:28pm On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

Have u gone into farming?
yes
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 3:29pm On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
I'm sure you are belle full with N30 rice and meat from kano that's why you come here talking out of your anus.
is your mother that talks from her anus. fool
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 3:31pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
Do you know how long they have planning about the closure, this was the last resort to curb smuggling. it is only those the customs in the border that would tell you the challenge they face. I hope you heard they made 9 billion in just one week. Buhari is not a fool, he knows how much the border closure is generating. Which America? America that has been banning items produced in the country, what of their trade war with China. Guy you never know how far.

Is it only smuggling that takes place at Nigerias borders? Pls what is d job of customs? Is America banning items d same thing as nigeria closing it's border? They made 9billion yet d president is still looking for money to implement budget
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 3:31pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
yes

What type of farming?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 3:36pm On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

Is it only smuggling that takes place at Nigerias borders? Pls what is d job of customs? Is America banning items d same thing as nigeria closing it's border? They made 9billion yet d president is still looking for money to implement budget
if america bans items, then in effect it means on no account should such be imported into the country. that means closing the border against such items. Nigeria did same but your brother and sisters refused and still smuggled, the government had no choice than to take appropriate actions.
If you and I were doing well from agriculture or any enterprise what is our business with the President looking for money. Is trump not looking for money or boris? does the american or british public care?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 3:42pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
if america bans items, then in effect it means on no account should such be imported into the country. that means closing the border against such items. Nigeria did same but your brother and sisters refused and still smuggled, the government had no choice than to take appropriate actions.
If you and I were doing well from agriculture or any enterprise what is our business with the President looking for money. Is trump not looking for money or boris? does the american or british public care?

Oga, which border did America close to d goods that it banned? That's y I asked u these questions which u weren't able to answer?

Is it only smuggling that takes place at Nigerias borders? Pls what is d job of customs? Is America banning items d same thing as nigeria closing it's border?

Did I discuss anything with u about brother and sister in a previous encounter? Y shouldn't b ur business if d president is looking 4 money? If it isn't ur business, then how's it ur business if customs makes 9billion? Y should d American or British public not care if their leaders are looking 4 money?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GoldHorse(m): 3:42pm On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

In all these things u have said, which one have u done?
Well Oga if you are smart enough you will know its sheer lack of self control and discipline to want to take up every opportunity one sees. Believe me it doesn't always end well.

I already have what I'm doing now so the advice is for those who need to change, improve or start "anew" there employment position.

It's tempting though to go into rice production now.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by MoIbrahim: 3:43pm On Nov 03, 2019
You have deviated.
The topic of this post is; "Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets".
Check again pls.

lexy2014:

When will buhari close d border and airports to his London trips to create opportunities 4 Nigerian hospitals? By d way, where's buhari right now?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 3:48pm On Nov 03, 2019
MoIbrahim:
You have deviated.
The topic of this post is; "Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets".
Check again pls.

In local parlance, na gist de bring gist. These are ur words:

"BABA HAS CREATED BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY

My brother, it's not called change o. It's called BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY GALORE."

Therefore my comment is very much in order except u are afraid to thread a path that u are very uncomfortable with.

By d way, where's buhari?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 3:54pm On Nov 03, 2019
GoldHorse:

Well Oga if you are smart enough you will know its sheer lack of self control and discipline to want to take up every opportunity one sees. Believe me it doesn't always end well.

I already have what I'm doing now so the advice is for those who need to change, improve or start "anew" there employment position.

It's tempting though to go into rice production now.

But u were speaking d grammar as if u were a doer. So if u say that "its sheer lack of self control and discipline to want to take up every opportunity one sees. Believe me it doesn't always end well", what makes u think others who u are advising to go into farming aren't thinking d same?

If u have what u doing, how does that prevent u from doing all those glorious things u said?

Take a look at this:

"I already have what I'm doing now so the advice is for those who need to change, improve or start "anew" there employment position."

Have u urself changed that u are advising people? What makes u think that d people u directed ur advise to don't also have what they are doing?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:00pm On Nov 03, 2019
Another wonderful reason why Nigerians must venture into the fish business
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Omoslim26: 4:00pm On Nov 03, 2019
Cutehector:
Fish farming now the oil market shocked shocked shocked

Biko i'm going to pull out my money

hard times in business can be the break that will give your business the relevance you need to be successful
all you have to do is persevere and endure
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Omoslim26: 4:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
Cutehector:
Fish farming now the oil market shocked shocked shocked

Biko i'm going to pull out my money

sometimes hard times in business can be the break that will give your business the relevance you need to be successful
all you have to do is persevere and endure
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by chinedumoooo: 4:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

How is bringing food thru land d wrong channel?
Record that we have three mediums of importation which are land,air and water.
If one among them is closed others may serve.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by samorobo: 4:12pm On Nov 03, 2019
Mcreloaded:
In the early 70s to early 80s head of stock fish head was not sold or eaten in Nigeria.
Then kpanla was very dry and you need saw blade to cut it to pieces.

When the economy started to go bad in the mid 80s thats when we started seeing kpanla head for sale in the markets.
How things have changed

Jeez how old are you sir.....

You must be older than my grand parents grin grin
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 4:15pm On Nov 03, 2019
sulaak:

Stockfish was introducing during the 1967 civil war, to feed starving Nigerian children, do we have to continue importing and eating this product that we cannot afford.
it has become signature to some dish in Nigeria. Going by your logic, should we stop wearing denim and other imported fabric because our forefathers wore hides & skin? Or maybe we should stick to Ankara since it is locally made. Be the judge.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 4:19pm On Nov 03, 2019
chinedumoooo:

Record that we have three mediums of importation which are land,air and water.
If one among them is closed others may serve.
That doesn't answer d question as to y importation thru d land border is wrong. Can u kindly shed light on y it is right to import thru airports & seaports and not thru land?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Mcreloaded(m): 4:20pm On Nov 03, 2019
samorobo:

Jeez how old are you sir.....

You must be older than my grand parents grin grin

Lol.
Old enough to be
a grandparent.
Not easy to be on top of latest things.
One of these days will go to the book shop to buy 2 face books for my grand kids they always asking for facebook
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Indispensable85(m): 4:45pm On Nov 03, 2019
sonature1:

I read with rapt attention in the hopes that you would make a point.

You have no idea how disappointed I was.

You just ended up attacking Buhari - something that everyone else does.

I was expecting to read something that I didn't know from your text

Disappointed

Please get this clear, I didn't subscribe to get on the internet to come impress your type.
Who gives a damn if you're disappointed? Certainly not me.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Indispensable85(m): 4:52pm On Nov 03, 2019
CyberWolf:
See bros, I don’t like This APC administration but let’s tell ourselves the truth, this border closure is in the right direction. If we keep telling ourselves that it’s not yet time, it’s not the right time, we will never do it. Is it gonna be difficult initially? Yes but in the long run, the positive impact will be felt for ages to come. All countries that are self sufficient started this way and keep improving so, if they can do it, we also can do it. China did it, Singapore did it, Malaysia did it so, why can’t we do it? ..... Abeg let’s tell ourselves the truth.

My guy, my point is there are certain things you put in place before shutting borders. You don't just wake up and shut borders because other nations did it. Go check the likes of China, Malaysia, Singapore and see how they did theirs.
I'm not against shutting borders but there's a way you do it so that the masses who are supposed to be the ultimate beneficiaries don't die of hardship.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by sonature1: 5:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
Indispensable85:

Please get this clear, I didn't subscribe to get on the internet to come impress your type.
Who gives a damn if you're disappointed? Certainly not me.

Well, I put it mildly earlier.

Your previous comment senselessly occupied useful space!
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by MoIbrahim: 5:08pm On Nov 03, 2019
Buhari is currently outside the country, on a personal visit. Perhaps, chilling somewhere and watching our local businesses grow due to broader closure.

The days of ignoring the fact that 99.9% of the ships leaving our shores are empty has ended. Seize the opportunity, and start something and smile to the bank.

As such, border remains closed!

lexy2014:

In local parlance, na gist de bring gist. These are ur words:

"BABA HAS CREATED BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY

My brother, it's not called change o. It's called BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY GALORE."

Therefore my comment is very much in order except u are afraid to thread a path that u are very uncomfortable with.

By d way, where's buhari?

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by pattybf(f): 5:47pm On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria.

I was watching their TV news on DStv as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria.

Ghana Traders union inserted a law in their constitution that for a Nigerian to open even small provision shop the person must first pay them $300,000 us dollars. That's the most wicked law Ive ever seen in my life. That's like saying we don't want Nigerians in our country.

But our recent border closure exposed this Ghanaian traders Union, they all come to Nigeria to buy all manner of goods to sell in Ghana.

What if Nigerian government to put into law that only Ghanaian traders must pay us $300,000 us dollars before they can buy a wheelbarrow load of engine oil cans from Ladipo. Since we all want to be mad in Africa let's all be mad.

So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news,

good thing Buhari can't read. You're wasting your time.

Why u come spoil everything u wrote like this na?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

How to Make Kidney Beans Sauce (Pictures, Video) / See The Carrots & Onions I Bought For N400 In Asaba This Morning (Photos) / Amazing Gigantic Wedding Cake (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.