Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (28043 Views)

Despite Importation Ban, Foreign Rice Floods Nigerian Markets / Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Afobear: 10:59am On Nov 03, 2019
awwfar:
uncle ITk we don see say u are really smart... dumbass

Is that the name you call your father ? Damned Son
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 03, 2019
Myde4naija:
that's the point a little force is needed to compel people to consume what we have produced.
Seems you got my previous reply wrong. What I mean is that there is nothing we are producing in excess to satisfy all our citizens. The solution is for government to look for ways to know why we can't produce what is enough.even with border closure, foreign rice is available and being consume daily. The only thing we achieved is increase in price

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by netpro(m): 11:02am On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

U have deviated from d discussion just like u have been doing all along. Don't worry about my boxers. They are intact. Does being in IT prevent u from farming?

It doesn't. And as mentioned earlier, I am currently not into farming. Are you?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 03, 2019
niaralandtopuser:

Only you will farm rice, farm fish , farm chicken.

There is no country in the world that don't depend on export. Banning some products to favor one part of the country is not a good way to govern
don't mind the people shouting border closer upandan. Buhari should ban importation of new cars so we can all buy Innoson. Rubbish govt.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 11:09am On Nov 03, 2019
netpro:

It doesn't. And as mentioned earlier, I am currently not into farming. Are you?

Since IT doesn't prevent u from farming, then u should lead by example first instead of saying this:

"Instead of wailing, this should motivate folks to venture into Agric business like Fishing."

Am not into farming myself. But what I won't do is to make comments like u did just because u want to support buhari when u don't no what it takes to go into farming

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

If its not about customs then what is it about? When d US was rewriting its trade agreements, did it close its borders in d process? U simply didn't answer d questions I asked

"Does free movement mean that there are no customs officers to screen items at d land borders? Pls what exactly is d job of d Nigerian customs services? Are there no attempts to bring in banned items thru d air and sea ports"?

Most of the US imports from the rest of the world comes directly to the country though their Sea Port not through Canada or Mexico for onward smuggling to the US. If the Nigeria Government decides that her Sea Port is more efficient in controlling what comes into the country, I have no problem with that.

As the borders remained closed, every genuine importers should use the Sea Port if they have nothing to hide and Yes, the land borders are too porous for the Nigeria Custom to efficiently manned !

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

But he said d truth. Can u farm stock fish in Nigeria?
yea he said the truth in a very foolish way...still can't fathom the need for the insults.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 11:12am On Nov 03, 2019
Bluetooth2:

Most of the US imports from the rest of the world comes directly to the country though their Sea Port not through Canada or Mexico for onward smuggling to the US. If the Nigeria Government decides that her Sea Port is more efficient in controlling what comes into the country, I have no problem with that.

As the borders remained closed, every genuine importers should use the Sea Port if they have nothing to hide and Yes, the land borders are too porous for the Nigeria Custom to efficiently manned !

U still haven't answered my questions.

Does free movement mean that there are no customs officers to screen items at d land borders? Pls what exactly is d job of d Nigerian customs services? Are there no attempts to bring in banned items thru d air and sea ports"?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 11:13am On Nov 03, 2019
awwfar:
yea he said the truth in a very foolish way...still can't fathom the need for the insults.

Then y are u insulting? How did he say d truth in a foolish way? Does that negate d truth he said?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ray48: 11:16am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria. I was watching their TV news as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria. So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news, good thing Buhari can't read.

U re contradicting urself. It's the Govt that should develop monetary & fiscal policies to make smuggling unattractive. But that's not the case presently. Our borders are very porous and it ll definitely encourage smuggling. Let the Govt wake up to their responsibility and things will definitely change. We can not be cutting our nose to spite our face. Prices of foodstuffs have skyrocketed due to the border closure and this affects negatively the already pauperised Nigerians. How much is a bag of local Rice now? How many families can afford it? Also many businesses in Nigeria do genuine & legal cross border trade. How will they survive this?
Let the Govt hold the Custom officials responsible for allowing smuggled goods into Nigeria.
If they are found wanting, first equip & motivate them & introduce technology in policing our borders. Then discipline them & sack them. Start first with their boss and then discipline them down the chain of command. If they do this, normalcy will be restored at our borders.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

U still haven't answered my questions.

Does free movement mean that there are no customs officers to screen items at d land borders? Pls what exactly is d job of d Nigerian customs services? Are there no attempts to bring in banned items thru d air and sea ports"?

What screening can the NCS successfully conduct when ECOWAS guarantees Trade Liberalization ? You are the one not getting the issue here.

Nigeria is a big market and almost every countries in the world want Nigeria to be dependent on them.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 11:25am On Nov 03, 2019
CyberWolf:
Of course you’re right but we need to start from somewhere and then improve on that. We have been waiting for government to provide these basic amenities since 1960 all to no avail, how long can we keep waiting? I totally support this border closure.
I doubt if you are employer of labour because if you are you will ask that government provide the basic things before they make these decisions. Who bears these high cost of goods? The cinsu who
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by TTGIL: 11:26am On Nov 03, 2019
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Afobear: 11:26am On Nov 03, 2019
awwfar:
nah! it's actually what I call your mom while smashing and spanking her big legendary ass
Stale

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 11:30am On Nov 03, 2019
Bluetooth2:

What screening can the NCS successfully conduct when ECOWAS guarantees Trade Liberalization ? You are the one not getting the issue here.

Nigeria is a big market and almost every countries in the world want Nigeria to be dependent on them.

Where did u get ur info that almost every country in d world wants Nigeria to b dependent on them?

Once again, u haven't answered my questions. U just dancing round them:

"Does free movement mean that there are no customs officers to screen items at d land borders? Pls what exactly is d job of d Nigerian customs services? Are there no attempts to bring in banned items thru d air and sea ports?"
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

Where did u get ur info that almost every country in d world wants Nigeria to b dependent on them?

Once again, u haven't answered my questions. U just dancing round them:

"Does free movement mean that there are no customs officers to screen items at d land borders? Pls what exactly is d job of d Nigerian customs services? Are there no attempts to bring in banned items thru d air and sea ports?"

Thailand, Vietnam, Ghana, Niger, Cameroon and Benin Republic have shown us that and with the continued closure of the borders, other vested interests will be unveiled.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Opiletool(m): 11:53am On Nov 03, 2019

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Sirwallace(m): 12:04pm On Nov 03, 2019
Ibime:

Oga leave that thing. Okporoko became an important ingredient in our soups because we found a way to make it work in a way the Scandinavians could not.

Yes it is freeze dried for months in the open. This is what the Vikings used to conquer the world over 10,000 years ago. It was one of the only foodstuff you could put on a ship that would not go rotten so it fueled their stomachs for long sea journeys.

The Scandinavian taste has moved on, however we have found a way to make it an important part of our soups. Same way the English no longer eat tripe (shaki) and ponmo, that does not mean we should stop eating it.

I read your comment and shake my head.
What a stupid mindset and inferiority complex.

And to the rest of Y"all, what is this silly obsession with foreign products!
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

Then y are u insulting? How did he say d truth in a foolish way? Does that negate d truth he said?
oh..lol I understand you perfectly now.. the truth here is that you don't even care about the fish, border brouhaha... you one of those ppl constantly doing ultimate search for faults in the present administration..unfortunately for you I'm not cut for those things .. so enjoy your day sir
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by stagger: 12:04pm On Nov 03, 2019
Mcreloaded:
In the early 70s to early 80s head of stock fish head was not sold or eaten in Nigeria.
Then kpanla was very dry and you need saw blade to cut it to pieces.

When the economy started to go bad in the mid 80s thats when we started seeing kpanla head for sale in the markets.
How things have changed

Very correct. Started after IBB banned its importation on January 1 1987. I was privileged to watch it on TV.

Meanwhile, this is Norway's number 1 export revenue earner. They have not touched a dime of their oil revenues in decades.

Naija just squanders what she earns. Sad!

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
Afobear:
Stale
stale wey go kill u
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 12:07pm On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
must it be stockfish? is there anything stockfish gives that your catfish cannot give. the laziness is really blinding your eyes. You hate sacrifice but want to be like dubai.
mumu, go and ask in the north not everyone eats catfish. In the south not everyone likes tilapia fish. You sit in one state all your life talking as if you understand how economies work. Go and sleep my friend!
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 12:09pm On Nov 03, 2019
spyg1:
If we are incubating infants. why can't we start a stockfish farm? Let's reason like adult, seize the opportunity and blow.
Ok the problem is that Stockfish only breeds in glacial icy salt waters. We live in the tropics!

Only countries like Norway and Iceland among few others have stockfish large enough for export.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 12:13pm On Nov 03, 2019
Bluetooth2:

Thailand, Vietnam, Ghana, Niger, Cameroon and Benin Republic have shown us that and with the continued closure of the borders, other vested interests will be unveiled.

Still doesn't answer d questions I asked cos at no time did ask about d countries u mentioned:

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Ganjafama(m): 12:14pm On Nov 03, 2019
whirlwind7:
[i][/i]

See the bolded?
No, Benin Republic didn't cheat Nigeria
Nigeria cheated itself.

In it's bid to subjugate the SE and SS, the country decided to make Lagos port the only functional one, rather than expanding the capacity of other ports in the south.
Ok, so far, so good. But common sense should let the same govt realize that it needs to upgrade Lagos port to cope with the huge demands of a country with population of over 180m. The govt didn't.
Check out the Oshodi-Apapa "expressway" that feeds the port.
Importers and exporters alike accrue demurrage through no fault of theirs. The roads are deathtraps.
Once people realized that they can do business faster and cheaper through Benin republic port, they switched over to it.

Remember, nature does not tolerate a vacuum. Nigeria govt fvcked up, and Benin govt stepped up.
After closing the borders without developing it's own ports, the country will get worse than it already is.
It is simple logic.
You've said it all. Case closed.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 12:27pm On Nov 03, 2019
awwfar:
oh..lol I understand you perfectly now.. the truth here is that you don't even care about the fish, border brouhaha... you one of those ppl constantly doing ultimate search for faults in the present administration..unfortunately for you I'm not cut for those things .. so enjoy your day sir

Am still finding it hard drawing a correlation between what u just typed as a response to this:

"Then y are u insulting? How did he say d truth in a foolish way? Does that negate d truth he said?"
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Oxtertee(m): 12:27pm On Nov 03, 2019
What will the Igbos from the east will now be eating? Okproko don become gold.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by renewable1(m): 12:31pm On Nov 03, 2019
Ha! even stockfish

8 HOURS ELECTRICITY DAILY FROM THE SUN.. CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by cocolacec(m): 12:33pm On Nov 03, 2019
noble71:
Nigerians can complain for Africa!!!
Price of rice has increased! Yes! Why not go into agriculture and make millions.
There is stock fish scarcity why not go into fish farming and make millions.
They will complain that unemployment rate has increased but I see lots of opportunities to make money in this closed border.
China developed because their government ban importation of many things.
I support this border closure! It's just that the timing was wrong.

There is never a right time to do something and neccessity is the mother of inventions.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Just30: 12:54pm On Nov 03, 2019
BleedTears:

My brother so on point.

This African countries essentially Ghana need to respect us. Even 2050 that border should not be opened.

They should use cargo planes to come shop in Nigeria since they think they have the money.

Or they should go to other countries.
we are all happy grin grin grin grin

keep your border closed to 2100 grin grin grin

at least, you'll be keeping the hunger within

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Just30: 1:11pm On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria.

I was watching their TV news on DStv as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria.

Ghana Traders union inserted a law in their constitution that for a Nigerian to open even small provision shop the person must first pay them $300,000 us dollars. That's the most wicked law Ive ever seen in my life. That's like saying we don't want Nigerians in our country.

But our recent border closure exposed this Ghanaian traders Union, they all come to Nigeria to buy all manner of goods to sell in Ghana.

What if Nigerian government to put into law that only Ghanaian traders must pay us $300,000 us dollars before they can buy a wheelbarrow load of engine oil cans from Ladipo. Since we all want to be mad in Africa let's all be mad.

So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news,

good thing Buhari can't read. You're wasting your time.
did you see Nigerian in the law ?

stop posting nonsense

we are not looking for 2 by 4 investment

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

How to Make Kidney Beans Sauce (Pictures, Video) / See The Carrots & Onions I Bought For N400 In Asaba This Morning (Photos) / Amazing Gigantic Wedding Cake (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.