Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (28036 Views)

Despite Importation Ban, Foreign Rice Floods Nigerian Markets / Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 9:22am On Nov 03, 2019
Afobear:
Nigerians are really dumb !!! See them shouting go into fish farming like deranged folks . Don't you all know that stockfish which is a cod fish isn't farmable in Nigeria ? Una go just open una dirty mouth de talk wetin una no Sabi
uncle ITk we don see say u are really smart... dumbass
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jaxxy(m): 9:23am On Nov 03, 2019
jamillion:
Effect of the recent closure of Nigerian border by federal government have not only affect rice importation but also seems to be taking a toll on other forign commodities in Nigerian markets. Stock fish as one among the rest is becoming scarce in the market and the little, one can get from grocery shops are being sold in unusual prizes. People of God, do you think this is a good pointer to a better Nigeria?

All I know is Nigerians have become very lazy in many self reliant areas of the economy. How can we be dependent on other people for almost everything even what we eat? Rice and now stock fish. Soon tomato’s and onions.

Nigeria has become like a careless and carefree wife who can’t cook so wud rather go to the eatery to feed her family.

There shud be control and balanced trade for the economy to grow. Those importing these products as their businesses why can’t they source it locally? Must the local agriculture suffer because of their importation business?

It’s like how Pdp govts wudnt let Nepa be great and sabotage it so they can continue importing generators for Nigerians. In the long run the country suffers greatly.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by CyberWolf: 9:31am On Nov 03, 2019
Empredboy:
you didn't tell us that these country has good roads to transport their goods cheaply, there is constant power supply so no need of cost of generator and diesel, the cost of production in this countries are cheap because of government input. Please did your government provide all these before making this policy? In Cotonuo it cost me #2200 to produce a 25kg good quality chicken feed but cost me #2850 early this year in Nigeria before I relocated to Benin rep. No serious, minded producer will like to produce in Nigeria because of high cost and harassments from touts and government officials who are after different levy and charges. Come to Cotonuo and see government support in business. Tell government to put basic amenities in place and see if manufacturers won't rush in
Of course you’re right but we need to start from somewhere and then improve on that. We have been waiting for government to provide these basic amenities since 1960 all to no avail, how long can we keep waiting? I totally support this border closure.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by TemmyT002(m): 9:31am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria. I was watching their TV news as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria. So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news, good thing Buhari can't read.

My God!!
Already made soup
Na we dey do ourselves o
Chai

Nigerians who are against the border closure should be flogged. Han han
Enemies of progress.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by TemmyT002(m): 9:33am On Nov 03, 2019
englishmart:
Border closure causes lack of form for Manchester United
Local man is tired
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by IJEYdiamond(f): 9:37am On Nov 03, 2019
BafanaBafana:
Is it that there are no stock fish in our waters of that there is no one to catch them?

Though i dont believe this news.. cod fish dont not live in our waters.. do your search...its not hard..
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Sterope(f): 9:39am On Nov 03, 2019
There is nothing wrong with curing of fish. He may not like the process but it doesn't stop it from being tasty and healthy.

Norwegians eat stockfish. It is not as common but they do eat it. That also applies to some other countries in Europe.

naijadrivablog:
Hmm. I am blessed to know a former Deputy Director of NAQS and he told me how he went to Tromsø to see how stock fish are cured and after that trip, he doesn't eat stock fish again.

The Norwegians that produce this stock fish (okporoko) don't eat it. It is for export only.

Just take the issue of rice from Thailand (5-10yrs stored rice sold to us) as a related case.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by OyinO: 9:39am On Nov 03, 2019
Good for Domestic Production and Business. Lazy youths should get busy working already.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lukui: 9:43am On Nov 03, 2019
If there is no saliva inside your mouth

BLAME BUHARI
grin
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by BafanaBafana: 9:44am On Nov 03, 2019
Bigcowhorn:

grin Its a good thing you asked a tricky question and did not stated a fact. Stockfish is cod. It lives in the cold warters of the North Atlantic only. The seas around Norway, Finland etc are its home.
Interesting. And I know europeans don't okporoko
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by remi1444: 9:45am On Nov 03, 2019
SamuelAnyawu:
grin
Chief, I wish to get certain information about NGOs in N.E as regards volunteering.

Can i PM you?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 9:48am On Nov 03, 2019
nzeobi:

please i have over 3000 fishes all weighing atleast 1kg for sale, please if you know anybody that can buy bulk please let me know.
ok
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 9:49am On Nov 03, 2019
Lewisalexander:

Okoro. Stock fish can only be found in the ocean
it is the same protein. put your fish under the sun or you can use mechanized dryer. it is still the same thing.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 9:50am On Nov 03, 2019
ZombieTERROR:

What are you waiting for?
Easy for you to say
Rubbish and Buhari
look at this one. you are waiting for norway to give you what is in your backyard.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Mcreloaded(m): 9:53am On Nov 03, 2019
Emyogalanya:
head of stock fish head? Which kind of fish could that be?

No vex my brother English is logho.
Please dont ask me the meaning of LOGHO
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 9:54am On Nov 03, 2019
niaralandtopuser:

Only you will farm rice, farm fish , farm chicken.

There is no country in the world that don't depend on export. Banning some products to favor one part of the country is not a good way to govern
yes it is called food sufficiency. We hurt our economy when we import so much. Look at arable land scattered everywhere. Even in oguta lake, the quality of fish farmed there is unbelievable. Youths are very lazy and thats the danger of laziness, it makes you not to see opportunity when it comes.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 9:56am On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
Hmmmm! You Buhari supportesupportersr talk dumb a times. What do you mean by start a fish farm. Do you mean we should start stockfish farming in Nigeria?

Do you even know what a life stockfish look like?
must it be stockfish? is there anything stockfish gives that your catfish cannot give. the laziness is really blinding your eyes. You hate sacrifice but want to be like dubai.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Mcreloaded(m): 9:57am On Nov 03, 2019
livebyday:

Èrama domô

How old are you sir ?

Koyo ovbio Oba.
Vwa toh

All i can say is that i was already too old to drive chopper bicycle when it came out in late 60s and early 70s.
It pain me sha i had to manage Elemu bicycle to school then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by tegrianonigltd(m): 10:02am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria. I was watching their TV news as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria. So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

Trash � talk another one. China, Singapore, etc grew without closing border. America will never close border on Mexico and co even with the drugs rate and co. Life na brain brain, Your buhari, you una no get brain. Life no be gra gra, na Technology now.. closing of border look like ancient way of doing things 1894 and co.. in a technology era, tell Buhari to tighten security,
Drones, robots, etc if he want to reduce imports, OPEN FACTORIES, we don’t have factories for the palm oil, the Ss and se you talk about palm oil, na local factories wey produce small small, they go out and produce in large quantities and bring, WE DONT HAVE FACTORIES, WE DONT HAVE FACTORIES, WE DONT HAVE LEADERS WITH VISION. This same President go abroad for abroad things and want una to suffer, I have never heard UK close border since I Dey here. Or South Africa.. omo no wonder south Africa see us finish. No sense your same leaders are the one opening factories in all these countries.. amaechi have refinery in Ghana. You
Know?? All the leaders na scam. All of them in all parties

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by chinedumoooo: 10:03am On Nov 03, 2019
If the land border is closed the air and water border are not close.
They should import their goods through the right channel.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 10:04am On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
go into fish farming simple

How can stock fish b farmed in Nigeria?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 10:05am On Nov 03, 2019
chinedumoooo:
If the land border is closed the air and water border are not close.
They should import their goods through the right channel.

How is bringing food thru land d wrong channel?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Topmaike007(m): 10:05am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

the place I like most is where you say Buhari can't read abeg the man should not learn it, let the border be close till 2070 self...
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by merits(m): 10:08am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

You are bless for this write up.i don't know why people are not supporting this border closure so that we can grow our own local products.
Gullible propaganda by mumu media
God buhari,God bless Nigeria.

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 03, 2019
Same stock fish,that can be gotten in oron.nawaoh for opposition parties and bloggers always padding lies on social media
Mind you am an anti buhari
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by lexy2014: 10:14am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

Pls read this ur comment again:

"Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf."

Have u ever been to apapa port and have u ever asked urself y small Benin republic is doing better than Nigeria in terms of port management? From what u have said, u have only demonstrated how Nigeria with all its big brother this and that has failed itself. Nigerians don't need to pay 4d failure of its leaders.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 03, 2019
lexy2014:

How is bringing food thru land d wrong channel?

It’s because most of those food and other products are on the CBN list of banned items which made the importers to pass through the land borders since the ECOWAS Protocol guarantees free movement of persons and goods.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Kayharry(m): 10:16am On Nov 03, 2019
Opiletool:
But why should stock fish be scarce in Nigeria when we have waters and fishermen?
Wetin dm con dey fish?
Those fishermen have never been encouraged by our government. Maybe this border closure is a good thing after all.

Modified :

Thanks for those that took their time to inform me that certain fishes can not survive in our waters; hence the reason for importation.
go read this https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-42137476
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GoldHorse(m): 10:16am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

For discerning and enterprising Nigerians this is your time to shine!!!

Just be listing those things that are scarce now and find a way to produce same or a close alternative of one of these items. Chikena!

Those people that import the items you listed above are simply bad and selfish ones who cares for nothing as long as they can line their pockets any "howly". They do not care if people die or the country collapse.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Myde4naija(m): 10:16am On Nov 03, 2019
niaralandtopuser:

Only you will farm rice, farm fish , farm chicken.

There is no country in the world that don't depend on export. Banning some products to favor one part of the country is not a good way to govern
sane countries import what they can't produce, in our case all junks are imported
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:17am On Nov 03, 2019
remi1444:
Chief, I wish to get certain information about NGOs in N.E as regards volunteering.

Can i PM you?

Sure

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

How to Make Kidney Beans Sauce (Pictures, Video) / See The Carrots & Onions I Bought For N400 In Asaba This Morning (Photos) / Amazing Gigantic Wedding Cake (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.