Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,400 members, 7,826,555 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone (15174 Views)

Gov Polls: EFCC Arrests INEC Chiefs For Taking N675m In Bribes / Amaechi Is Visibly Worried In Picture With Obasanjo...what Could It Be About? / Soldiers Beat Up Voter For Taking Their Pictures In Surulere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by InkedNerd(f): 7:09pm On Nov 15, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Honduran?! LMFAO!!! Except he's black Honduran I got no words for u. . . Oh, no, I actually do got something for u:

TRY MEXICAN WHILE U AT IT!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Wuteva! Why u here trying to sound smart when we could be evaluating your ability to be "extra smart" behind closed doors?

lol, he's biracial--half black half  "Latino[b]/[/b]Hispanic". And what is wrong with being a black Honduran? Ok, so on top of the fact that you're a tribalist and a womanizer, you also dislike black Central Americans huh? You and I will never be behind closed doors. Smh, you cease to amaze me. The more you talk, the more I wanna stay away from you.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 15, 2010
tensor777:

I need not prove anything to you.However in Nigeria taking personal pictures of police personnel without their consent is a crime.

Maybe in this instance the guy thought that because he is in Nigeria he could act anyhow and even lacked the humility to acknowledge his offence.
this is where the police would knock the guy .i don't think i will like it if someone snap or use my photograph without my permission.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by SasAjosin(m): 7:11pm On Nov 15, 2010
Omo those guyz re mess up.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ohaechesi(m): 7:17pm On Nov 15, 2010
logica:

See this hater more concerned about status. What was the awful act and what is his status you are talking about?

i expected you to be reasonable but you turned out to be a tout that you can't call a spade a spade. Do you actually want to know what his awful act was? it is very simply, take advantage of your father ontop of your mother (brushingout the hell out of her) with that you China canera phone. thereafter, paste the picture here on the NL post that the world will take a glance as if no one else partakes in such act. you panda never seize to amaze me.

look here young man, haven't your mama told you provocation could lead to anything? sometime in November 2006, I witnessed a police officer in uniform slapped his colleague while on duty in Lyon. wetin dey for SOKOTO, e dey for , inorderwords, for the perpetuator being knowledgeable of the law, his attitude was awful and he should face the book. morally, ignorant could be acceptable but legally ignorance is not an excuss.

i'm still not here to support the police but the truth must be told
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 7:25pm On Nov 15, 2010
If I was the one, I will knock the effin outta you; make no mistake and take personal photos of people without asking for permission, I mean it's commonsense and doesn't require law. Then again, they are police men who uphold the law and since the law does require freedom of speech; talk and act freely, I see nothing wrong with taking picture of them. If I decide to take pictures of those mean police guys when they fucking acting up, you bet I will, Talking about charging him for what? Those charges are erroneous, anyway they will dismiss the case period.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by udezue(m): 7:50pm On Nov 15, 2010
manny4life:

If I was the one, I will knock the effin outta you; make no mistake and take personal photos of people without asking for permission, I mean it's commonsense and doesn't require law. Then again, they are police men who uphold the law and since the law does require freedom of speech; talk and act freely, [b]I see nothing wrong with taking picture of them. If I decide to take pictures of those mean police guys when they bleeping acting up, you bet I will, Talking about charging him for what? Those charges are erroneous, anyway they will dismiss the case period.
[/b]GBAM
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 15, 2010
manny4life:

If I was the one, I will knock the effin outta you; make no mistake and take personal photos of people without asking for permission, I mean it's commonsense and doesn't require law. Then again, they are police men who uphold the law and since the law does require freedom of speech; talk and act freely, I see nothing wrong with taking picture of them. If I decide to take pictures of those mean police guys when they bleeping acting up, you bet I will, Talking about charging him for what? Those charges are erroneous, anyway they will dismiss the case period.
You sound confused there. If the charges are erroneous then on what basis was he charged? However there is nothing in the story to show that the police he snapped were not going about their lawful business.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by logica(m): 8:05pm On Nov 15, 2010
ohaechesi:

i expected you to be reasonable but you turned out to be a tout that you can't call a spade a spade. Do you actually want to know what his awful act was? it is very simply, take advantage of your father ontop of your mother (brushingout the hell out of her) with that you China canera phone. thereafter, paste the picture here on the NL post that the world will take a glance as if no one else partakes in such act. you panda never seize to amaze me.

look here young man, haven't your mama told you provocation could lead to anything? sometime in November 2006, I witnessed a police officer in uniform slapped his colleague while on duty in Lyon. wetin dey for SOKOTO, e dey for ,  inorderwords, for the perpetuator being knowledgeable of the law, his attitude was awful and he should face the book. morally, ignorant could be acceptable but legally ignorance is not an excuss.

i'm still not here to support the police but the truth must be told

The fact that you speak of status shows you are an inferiority complex wracked slowpoke spawned by morons who YOU should be taking pictures of with YOUR China camera so that we can identify how many STDs are being transferred between them, and then identify the origin of that which infected you during childbirth, and responsible for your mental retardation. Fvcking cross between a Zynjanthropus and Australopithecus.

Oh, by the way, taking the pic of the imbeciles that gave that wretched life to you will only be appropriate, if they do like the imbeciles that they are and have intimacy in public.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 15, 2010
logica:

The fact that you speak of status shows
See how you talk anyhow. Who cares about his status anyway and of what relevance is it to this matter?
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by dayokanu(m): 8:17pm On Nov 15, 2010
So people dont know Ishit4body = Tumfulu?

Is it a crime or do we take permission to take pictures of public figures?

If the Policemen were in Mufti at home it might be wrong but they are public officers accountable to the public,

Do you need to take permission from hidden cameras and CCTV installed to take peoples picture in public
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by kabukabu50(m): 8:18pm On Nov 15, 2010
Yet another reason why nigeria is a failure angry angry

You cant cite privacy when you are a public official grin

Politicians/Policemen/Law Enforcement have ZERO privacy because we the taxpayers, pay their salaries. grin

This  case is particulary dangerous because the officers were armed and could have killed themsleves or someone, common sense should prevail in this matter but it WONT because Nigerian courts have nothing better to do but take bribes,hold innocent people in jail and let muderers and political thugs go scot free.

Cheers at 50 years of independence, bondage wink

Failures.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by safariman(m): 8:22pm On Nov 15, 2010
Simple, the law needs to change and we shouldn't be comparing taking pictures of a simple common person on the streets with that of the police.  If the law is changed and allow pics of the illegal checkpoints, taking N20 bribes etc, the police may change their ways
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by InkedNerd(f): 8:25pm On Nov 15, 2010
kabukabu50:

Yet another reason why nigeria is a failure angry angry

You cant cite privacy when you are a public official grin

Politicians/Policemen/Law Enforcement have ZERO privacy because we the taxpayers, pay their salaries. grin

This  case is particulary dangerous because the officers were armed and could have killed themsleves or someone, common sense should prevail in this matter but it WONT because Nigerian courts have nothing better to do but take bribes,hold innocent people in jail and let muderers and political thugs go scot free.

Cheers at 50 years of independence, bondage wink

Failures.

Yupp, 50 years = EPIC FAIL!!!

safariman:

Simple, the law needs to change and we shouldn't be comparing taking pictures of a simple common person on the streets with that of the police.  If the law is changed and allow pics of the illegal checkpoints, taking N20 bribes etc, the police may change their ways

If only it were that simple. They would never pass such a law because people are too busy enjoying their gravy train bribes. 

Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2010
tensor777:

You sound confused there. If the charges are erroneous then on what basis was he charged? However there is nothing in the story to show that the police he snapped were not going about their lawful business.

The two-count charge brought against him bordered on assault and breach of peace by indiscriminately taking pictures at a public place.

The charge sheet read: “That you Onyekwere Michael Onyemaechi “m” on the 4/11/2010 at about 1800hrs at Acme Road junction, Ogba, Lagos, in the Ikeja Magisterial District did conduct yourself in a manner likely to cause breach of peace at Acme Road junction, being a public place, by using your blackberry mobile phone to take photographs of people indiscriminately, including that of two police officers namely Inspector Jerry Abuo and Cpl. Etim Itoro, for a ill motive and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 249(D) of the Criminal Code, Cap.17, Vol. 11 Laws of Lagos State of Nigeria 2003.”

The charges are erroneous, over exaggerative and should I continue further. Let me explain why they are in these context;

the charge sheet said "did conduct yourself in a manner likely to cause breach of peace", I mean they first statement did in fact say he did conduct himself in a manner (how?) Was he yelling? Was he angry? What manner it wasn't explained but indeed it was a manner "likely" so there was a huge possibility of it being that he did conduct himself peacefully without a cause to breach peace because that's what's it's inferring. Don't you see and error of wrong in there? Then it continued further to say that he took pictures "indiscriminately" at random so anyone could have argued that the police however where in the view of his pictures or anything, so by taking random pictures, he did in fact did not intend to cause breech of peace neither were his intentions focused on the police people because it was random. Then they alleged about ill motive, which is kinda flawed because from the incident, they never explained what the motive was let alone and ill motive. Don't you see an error of wrong there ?

Oh I forgot, they were alleging assault, on who and who? When he assaulted the unknown, he did intentionally seek to inflict pain, or harm, or even destroy property? The answer is NO, so where is their grounds? The so-called police did not have any standing at all, this is nothing but ballooned charges, police people seeking to make money. An assault charge depending on the severity of the case is usually misdemeanor.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2010
safariman:

And why should the law change? However you are just talking anyhow as there is nothing in the story to indicate that the police men were doing anything illegal.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by MacFlash: 8:31pm On Nov 15, 2010
Taking pics wif police is one tin, snapping police on duty its other tin d dude is f**king wrong,its illegal nd Taking photographs of police and police staff is a criminal offence.he has lived in d UK for 7yrs he should kn better, ))
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 8:34pm On Nov 15, 2010
Mac_Flash:

Taking pics wif police is one tin, snapping police on duty its other tin d dude is f**king wrong,its illegal nd Taking photographs of police and police staff is a criminal offence.he has lived in d UK for 7yrs he should kn better, ))

Not if the police are breaking the law, the laws which they took an oath to uphold.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 15, 2010
manny4life:

The two-count charge brought against him bordered on assault and breach of peace by indiscriminately taking pictures at a public place.

The charge sheet read: “That you Onyekwere Michael Onyemaechi “m” on the 4/11/2010 at about 1800hrs at Acme Road junction, Ogba, Lagos, in the Ikeja Magisterial District did conduct yourself in a manner likely to cause breach of peace at Acme Road junction, being a public place, by using your blackberry mobile phone to take photographs of people indiscriminately, including that of two police officers namely Inspector Jerry Abuo and Cpl. Etim Itoro, for a ill motive and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 249(D) of the Criminal Code, Cap.17, Vol. 11 Laws of Lagos State of Nigeria 2003.”

I don't know what your business is about this matter. It is for the prosecutor to to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he was indeed guilty of assault and breach of the peace and for the magistrate to determine the suspect's guilt or innocence based on the evidence laid before him and witness statements.
Be that as it may, I am sure that if he had been humble and apologized when challenged by the police the case would not have got to this stage.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by dayokanu(m): 8:36pm On Nov 15, 2010
Mac_Flash:

How is it wrong to take pictures of police?

Is taking pictures of OBJ and Goodluck too a criminal offence?

Do you have to take permission from Goodluck, Barack Obama or Gordon Brown to take picture of him when he is in public ?

When you are obviously not invading his privacy
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by klas(m): 8:38pm On Nov 15, 2010
This is what section 249d of Criminal Code says

d) every person who, in any public place, conducts himself in a manner likely to cause a breach of the peace, shall be deemed idle and disorderly persons, and may be arrested without warrant, and shall be guilty of a simple offence, and shall be liable to imprisonment for one month.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by likeme(m): 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2010
I just need to ask if The times that planted camera for amos adamu has committed crime or not?
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by dayokanu(m): 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2010
So how did his behaviour violate the law?

every person who, in any public place, conducts himself in a manner likely to cause a breach of the peace, shall be deemed idle and disorderly person
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 8:43pm On Nov 15, 2010
klas:

d) every person who, in any public place, conducts himself in a manner likely to cause a breach of the peace, shall be deemed idle and disorderly persons, and may be arrested without warrant, and shall be guilty of a simple offence, and shall be liable to imprisonment for one month.

No argument, but that same code did not in fact explain in what "manner" they talk about; either expressed nor implied. They did not even go further to explain what "Breach of Peace" is. That should be what any law would explain in this context and then know if such manner does in fact conform with the breach of peace before going further. Anyone on the streets of lagos shouting and yelling is obviously breaching the peace of others; both the manner which they are doing it (shouting and yelling while preaching), does conform with their act of breaching of peace
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by googles: 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2010
dayokanu:

So people dont know Ishit4body = Tumfulu?

hmm guessed as much. . . watever the tumfulu is,it  has the mouth stinkier dan dat of a forgotten sh[i]i[/i]thole  undecided for lack of a berra description
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by InkedNerd(f): 8:47pm On Nov 15, 2010
klas:

Ok, so if that is the case then I suppose the police officers are in breach of this law?
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by klas(m): 8:47pm On Nov 15, 2010
We should ask the lawyers. Frankly I fail to see  the relationship between taking pictures (whether of police or not) and idleness + disorderliness
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by denzel2009: 8:49pm On Nov 15, 2010
What have I been reading here? Taking pictures of the police is a crime?

Its not like he was instructing the police officers to strike a pose or telling the police officers to do topless shots.

This is just an abuse of judicial powers and evidence of lawlessness.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 8:51pm On Nov 15, 2010
tensor777:

I don't know what your business is about this matter. It is for the prosecutor to to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he was indeed guilty of assault and breach of the peace and for the magistrate to determine the suspect's guilt or innocence based on the evidence laid before him and witness statements.
Be that as it may, I am sure that if he had been humble and apologized when challenged by the police the case would not have got to this stage.

my business is that u said i was confused, reference your comments below

tensor777:

I have no business but merely stating that the police case is erroneous, they don't have a standing.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ohaechesi(m): 8:52pm On Nov 15, 2010
logica:

The fact that you speak of status shows you are an inferiority complex wracked slowpoke spawned by morons who YOU should be taking pictures of with YOUR China camera so that we can identify how many STDs are being transferred between them, and then identify the origin of that which infected you during childbirth, and responsible for your mental retardation. Fvcking cross between a Zynjanthropus and Australopithecus.

Oh, by the way, taking the pic of the imbeciles that gave that wretched life to you will only be appropriate, if they do like the imbeciles that they are and have intimacy in public.

Bravo, you have just proved the high level of imbecility, psychotic /malfunctional mentality that exist amongst your "gene"or else you would have made a difference n'ulo nna gi (if actually u have one).  i think people should be properly informed of the wrath for law breakers rather then encouraging  indiscipline in the nation such as snapping unapproved picture to a force or an individual
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 15, 2010
@ Poster Please let us know the end of this matter in time, I'm very interested in it
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by googles: 8:58pm On Nov 15, 2010

This is not rocket science nah. . . its simple english dat shouldnt be so hard to comprehend

wen did taking random pictures become a breach of peace  undecided  'twas rude yes but turned into a court case, bullocks

This is just a pure waste of the court time . . he could have been reprimanded without all this legal bish bish
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 15, 2010
denzel2009:

What have I been reading here? Taking pictures of the police is a crime?
Its not like he was instructing the police officers to strike a pose or telling the police officers to do topless shots.
This is just an abuse of judicial powers and evidence of lawlessness.
There are cultural issues involved in taking photographs of persons without their consent in Nigeria. Just try that anywhere in Nigeria when next you're on holidays and see if you would not be not seriously dealt with. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Officials Snub Us-led Anti-corruption Groups / We’ve Paid N700bn For Road Projects – FG / Ohanaeze Apologises For Not Providing Rallying Point During PDP, APC Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.