Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,767 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone (15159 Views)

Gov Polls: EFCC Arrests INEC Chiefs For Taking N675m In Bribes / Amaechi Is Visibly Worried In Picture With Obasanjo...what Could It Be About? / Soldiers Beat Up Voter For Taking Their Pictures In Surulere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 9:09pm On Nov 15, 2010
I am hoping that the Judge would dismiss the case. Talking about what his so-called attorney been doing i.e. if he had one; I would have filed a motion to dismiss at pretrial because this is prejudice because he came home from London and won't give in to their demand, F***K THEM
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by marabout(m): 9:14pm On Nov 15, 2010
I guess after the brutality of the military for decades, we have come to accept that we have no rights. Babangida you no go find rest.

Was there a warning sign not to take pictures in the area as a security zone?
Does a citizen not have the right to take common pictures just because two policemen happen to be in the area?

In many countries, policemen pose with people for pictures. Obviously Nigeria is centuries away from being a tourist country.

My dear, nothing anybody says here can discredit the police more than  N20, wetin you carry, extra-judicial killing (remember APO SIX?),
street fighting like thugs, hiring guns to armed robbers, rigging elections for polilooters to name but a few.

They do a pretty good job discrediting themselves thank you very much.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 9:20pm On Nov 15, 2010
marabout:

I guess after the brutality of the military for decades, we have come to accept that we have no rights. Babangida you no go find rest.
Does a citizen not have the right to take common pictures just because two policemen happen to be in the area?
In many countries, policemen pose with people for pictures. Obviously Nigeria is centuries away from being a tourist country.
You are just talking anyhow and bringing up highly irrelevant matters. The key issue when taking personal photographs in Nigeria is consent of the person being photographed.
Don't the guide books and pure common sense tell you that?
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ohaechesi(m): 9:22pm On Nov 15, 2010
tensor777:

See how you talk anyhow. Who cares about his status anyway and of what relevance is it to this matter?

i give honour to whom honour is due not vagabond likes of "LOGICA" who has no value for for human being, so where is the respect to one another as courtesy demands. Sir, i believe this tout should be made to understand that the word "STATUS" goes to meaningful Nigerian in all ramification . LOGICA or what do u call yourself,  you never hala not until you jam Dangote trailer.

i do take permission before i snap someone picture and i think thats how it should be.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 9:28pm On Nov 15, 2010
Talking about tourist, Nigeria is just a turning something else, from the airports right down to the police on the street, stupid set of people everywhere. I see no reason why tourist should ever visit Nigeria, someone snapping random photos is a crime punishable by law, yet you come to DC and snap random picture of Federal Govt building in N.W. areas, even the White House, yet you don't see Secret Service filing a criminal charge against you, effing bullshit.

What he did was absolutely wrong but bring criminal charges against him by using a freaking law that is less adherent and explanatory is nothing but absurd. From the prosecutor to the police people all need to get a life and soon.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by DisGuy: 9:28pm On Nov 15, 2010
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid17190315001?bctid=676239192001

this police oga is not arresting the man/woman filming this

so what does the law actually say?
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by InkedNerd(f): 9:35pm On Nov 15, 2010
manny4life:

Talking about tourist, Nigeria is just a turning something else, from the airports right down to the police on the street, silly set of people everywhere. I see no reason why tourist should ever visit Nigeria, someone snapping random photos is a crime punishable by law, yet you come to DC and snap random picture of Federal Govt building in N.W. areas, even the White House, yet you don't see Secret Service filing a criminal charge against you, effing bullshit.

What he did was absolutely wrong but bring criminal charges against him by using a freaking law that is less adherent and explanatory is nothing but absurd. From the prosecutor to the police people all need to get a life and soon.

marabout:

My dear, nothing anybody says here can discredit the police more than  N20, wetin you carry, extra-judicial killing (remember APO SIX?),
street fighting like thugs, hiring guns to armed robbers, rigging elections for polilooters to name but a few.

They do a pretty good job discrediting themselves thank you very much.

Lmao, Nigeria will NEVER be a tourist destination at least not with the way they treat people. I've said it before, people remain silent about things and the sheepish behavior becomes normalized. Eventually, people start to think they have no rights. We've conditioned ourselves to believe that the action of the police acceptable. Mission accomplished on Nigeria's part.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 15, 2010
manny4life:

I get what you're saying there. But to be honest, I strongly suspect that it was his forming and bragging they reacted to and not this seemingly trivial "offence".
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Olalimits(m): 9:52pm On Nov 15, 2010
Maybe he took pictures of 'em in the act!!!!
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Ivynwa(f): 9:53pm On Nov 15, 2010
Yes I do agree with Is-h-*-t4body sweetheart. It is no offence to take the picture of monuments, parks and public places as long as the owners permit that but every human being deserve to know when his/her picture is being taken. I will not like to have my picture taken by strangers and without my permission and knowledge, that is a violation of one's privacy.

@Is-h-*t4body
You do have a hot bod (how you work it baby e-e-eh, just referring to Usher's lyrics in one of his songs). What's your secret girlfriend? Check out those "abs-to-die-for" and you are so so pretty. Now don't tell me that a sweet lady like you said all that below----
Why will you go and take people's pictures without their permission? Some people are daft and silly. If I walk on the street and one silly goons points his or her phone at me to take my picture without asking me first, I will surely smash his or her head. Isint that common sense?

Shut up Obiagu
Dont be a foolish goon. We are talking of direct shooting. If i am directly taking pictures of someone, courtesy demands you ask them first. Isint that just simple plain common sense?
Dont talk like the idiots. Research and know the truth before coming here to talk rubbish.

In Britain, the law is clear- dont be a fool

Some people are just simply uneducated, daft and out right silly.
I guess the poster is out to discredit the Nigerian Police as usual, whereas it happens every other place. Grow up, travel, learn, research. It is not only when you are out of Nigeria that you become exposed and learned, you can be in America, Britain or Europe and still be as daft as possible.

Law graduate my foot-.
After the case, the NBA should make sure he faces severe action for being so daft.

No!, you didn't, I refuse to believe you did because those words don't just fit in to all your gorgeousness. How about we changing that our username Is-h*(come on Baby, that doesn't suit us, see as them fellas are already ogling your bootlicious body) to something else like NLhottestbod (how about that?) but you can only be crowned with that name if you agree to a deal to soften that sweet tone of yours and save it for when you become the CEO of that company you were intending to open someday. grin grin grin
Now people (ivynwa raises her glass of wine with other Nairalanders) let's make a toast to the new Miss Nairaland's hottest bod!!!
Everybody make some noise gfyuguyguygyugffhfhfggfcgbvhnlk;kl;pklkhfgdrdtgy!!!!
(Ivynwa presents the new queen to the house) as Ish*t(sorry I mean NLhottestbod) satchays into the house smiling and swinging her hips from side to side like the true lady that she is.
Walk it! walk it! that's my girl. wink wink kiss wink wink
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ohaechesi(m): 10:02pm On Nov 15, 2010
Olalimits:

you have just graduated from my school of taught. i want to believe that the story wasn't complete. i had earlier said i'm not here to support the police because i know my country people wela
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 10:03pm On Nov 15, 2010
i believe we all know exactly what happened - the police challenged him when they saw him snapping them - rather than behave like the docile , whipped dog they expect Nigerian civilians to be , he refused to back down- hence this battery of ridiculous charges

how many so called armed robbers paraded by the police are actually armed robbers ?

i am just shaking my head at the people excusing this behavior of the police - NO ONE  can claim that they, or someone close to them has not been a victim of made up charges by these idiots

once when i was  carrying a laptop without a receipt, i was accosted by this policewoman. i took my time in giving her my id card, and the net thing, the biatch pulled out a statement for me to sign. i was lucky i was able to call some oga.

her rage at my escape was evident. who knows what she would have tried to make me sign.

and we have some daft people blathering about assault and battery, as if they are from some twilight zone and not nigeria  undecided
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 15, 2010
Olalimits:

You don't know that! In any case won't the pictures he took be used as evidence and be turned against them if they were indeed involved in anything incriminating.
Just die this your argument. embarassed
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ohaechesi(m): 10:22pm On Nov 15, 2010
tensor777:

You don't know that! In any case won't the pictures he took be used as evidence and be turned against them if they were indeed involved in anything incriminating.

you are right, i could reason with you but then i see this case as a mere trivial case that would have been discharged by the police. i believe something went wrong some where
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by DisGuy: 10:26pm On Nov 15, 2010
tensor777:

and you actually think they will allow him to go away with picture? they collect everything on you before locking you up in the booth!!
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 15, 2010
Dis Guy:

and you actually think they will allow him to go away with picture? they collect everything on you before locking you up in the booth!!
Yes we all know that as that is standard police procedure, moreso as he was actually charged. But who here knows the nature of the photographic evidence to be laid against him and what his defence if any would be.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by InkedNerd(f): 10:35pm On Nov 15, 2010
oyb:

i believe we all know exactly what happened - the police challenged him when they saw him snapping them - rather than behave like the docile , whipped dog they expect Nigerian civilians to be , he refused to back down- hence this battery of ridiculous charges

how many so called armed robbers paraded by the police are actually armed robbers ?

i am just shaking my head at the people excusing this behavior of the police - NO ONE  can claim that they, or someone close to them has not been a victim of made up charges by these idiots

once when i was  carrying a laptop without a receipt, i was accosted by this policewoman. i took my time in giving her my id card, and the net thing, the biatch pulled out a statement for me to sign. i was lucky i was able to call some oga.

her rage at my escape was evident. who knows what she would have tried to make me sign.

and we have some daft people blathering about assault and battery, as if they are from some twilight zone and not nigeria  undecided

Look, when it comes to the law in Nigeria, its a no man's land. My cousin recently spent the summer in Nigeria and while younger cousin was talking pictures of something near by [not police officers], they approached her and started questioning her like a criminal and telling her that she was taking pictures of them and demanding her phone. Mind you, my younger cousin is still a minor--this isn't an adult we're talking about. Personally, I felt that the police officers were targeting her because it was obvious that she was from abroad. She has never had problems with Naija police while growing in Nigeria then all of a sudden they seemed to want to harass her. Luckily my older cousin [my younger cousins older brother] came to her aide. The only thin about him coming to her aid was they they started the get rough with him when he tried to explain to then that his sister wasn't doing anything wrong. I was so furious when they told me what happened. When my cousin got home, he told his father what happened and all he just told him to forget about it. The behavior of the Nigerian people to just shrug things off only demonstrates that we've come to accept the mistreatment of our people by police officers.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by espn(m): 10:39pm On Nov 15, 2010
MODIFIED
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ishit4body(f): 10:43pm On Nov 15, 2010
I can now see that so many people dont have a life.

They talk and argue as if their arguments matter in this case. Bros/Sis, noone is asking you to make an input, or come to court as an Amicus Curiea. So, just take it easy, if you think no wrong is committed, good for you, if you think the guy did right, good for you, why are you then constituting yourselves into nuisances by fighting each other over a case that is already in court.

If the police whipped this boy and he comes to the pages of the newspapers with his battered eye, many of you will cry blue murder, but now, he has been taken to court, where he will be able to defend himself, you still come here to talk ras?

Please, how much time do you realy have to spew all this rubbish from your mouth, when your mates and less are making worldwide inventions and earth shaking discoveries, you sit down in one place arguing about what you know nothing about.

Come from the moon, mars, or where ever, point your camera at me, an ordinary person , and take my pictures and walk away without my permission and see what the hell i will spew on you.

Most of these people talking ras here will do worse than what the police officers did.

Tommorrow, when someone takes your picture without asking, smile at him, and you will be a very sure candidate for money making rituals, no be the same Naija?
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 10:52pm On Nov 15, 2010
^^^^^

definetely tumfulu

i kind of suspected . . .

back again like a bad penny
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 10:54pm On Nov 15, 2010
ishit4body:

I can now see that so many people dont have a life.

They talk and argue as if their arguments matter in this case. Bros/Sis, noone is asking you to make an input, or come to court as an Amicus Curiea. So, just take it easy, if you think no wrong is committed, good for you, if you think the guy did right, good for you, why are you then constituting yourselves into nuisances by fighting each other over a case that is already in court.

If the police whipped this boy and he comes to the pages of the newspapers with his battered eye, many of you will cry blue murder, but now, he has been taken to court, where he will be able to defend himself, you still come here to talk ras?

Please, how much time do you realy have to spew all this rubbish from your mouth, when your mates and less are making worldwide inventions and earth shaking discoveries, you sit down in one place arguing about what you know nothing about.

Come from the moon, mars, or where ever, point your camera at me, an ordinary person , and take my pictures and walk away without my permission and see what the hell i will spew on you.

Most of these people talking ras here will do worse than what the police officers did.

Tommorrow, when someone takes your picture without asking, smile at him, and you will be a very sure candidate for money making rituals, no be the same Naija?

Seriously? Why am I not surprised,  embarassed embarassed embarassed

I rather have people with different opinions on a matter at hand than people who will sit down and take it hook, line and sinker.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ishit4body(f): 10:56pm On Nov 15, 2010
Honestly speaking, which kind of people are we in Nigeria? A case like these gets discussed for over 6 pages with arguments and counter arguments that surpasses the kind you get when a question that bothers on the well being of the nation as a whole is asked.

What kind of people sit behind a computer and argue over something so trivial as this? Honestly, is it a case of nothing to do, or a case of over brilliance or what?
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by violent(m): 10:57pm On Nov 15, 2010
I think its just a tussle of ego and the case will eventually end up in the bins, but the guy would have gone through needless stress in the process.

and for the many people screaming the dude is right. . .really?   I suppose you'd be excited if someone walks up to you in the middle of nowehere to take your picture without introducing himself?. . .and talk about this age where every slowpoke has an access to the internet, how about your picture coming up in forum with millions of viewers?

and people are expected to be able to tell the difference between "public figures" and "civil service" employees, . .Obama / GEJ are public figures, my neighbor is a civil servant, that doesn't mean she deserve to have her pictures taken without her consent by whoever has got an access to a camera phone.

Yes its not illegal, but common sense says its wrong!
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 10:59pm On Nov 15, 2010
ishit4body:

Honestly speaking, which kind of people are we in Nigeria? A case like these gets discussed for over 6 pages with arguments and counter arguments that surpasses the kind you get when a question that bothers on the well being of the nation as a whole is asked.

What kind of people sit behind a computer and argue over something so trivial as this? Honestly, is it a case of nothing to do, or a case of over brilliance or what?

And you don't see the severity of the well being of the people on this case ?
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 11:01pm On Nov 15, 2010
I don't know about any other persons opinion, my argument is after the fact. Yeah we all agree though it's legal but morally wrong but criminally charging someone is dumb if u ask me
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ishit4body(f): 11:02pm On Nov 15, 2010
Let everyone saying the guy is right wake up tommorrow and asks everyone they see with a camera phone to please take their photo and see if they will live after 48 hours. Either some of you ends up in a rich man's pot of money making soup, some of you ends up in a strange land where ghosts abode, some of you turn mad, or some of you just turns into a sneaky kind of snake all because you think it is right for every tom d.ck. and harry to take your pictures from wherever and for what ever purpose.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 11:03pm On Nov 15, 2010
violent:

I think its just a tussle of ego and the case will eventually end up in the bins, but the guy would have gone through needless stress in the process.
Great insight there. The whole matter is just a total waste of time and energy as a bit of humility would have ended the matter there and then.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ishit4body(f): 11:04pm On Nov 15, 2010
^^^

Humility? From a JJC, with a Law Degree from Wales University?

Oh no- he will shout and scream, i know my right. Of course, thats why the case got escalated. Trying to show off he just arrived, and he thinks he is a lawyer from the queens backyard.
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 15, 2010
and for the many people screaming the dude is right. . .really?   I suppose you'd be excited if someone walks up to you in the middle of nowehere to take your picture without introducing himself?. . .and talk about this age where every slowpoke has an access to the internet, how about your picture coming up in forum with millions of viewers?

if you were engaged in doing the wrong thing, as our police frequently are , you'd be scared. if you were doing the right thing. . .and there was a chance that you might even be celebrated as a hero. . .

Great insight there. The whole matter is just a total waste of time and energy as a bit of humility would have ended the matter there and then.

yeah, absolutely, when next police stop you for no reason whatsoever, insist on searching through your possessions, ask you stupid questions, just grovel like a beaten dog - yes sir yes sir - after all, they are the indefatigable guardians of our society
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by ishit4body(f): 11:07pm On Nov 15, 2010
Many of you can not even put your picture up on NairaLand, yet you shout how right it is for people to go out snapping everyone they see with their camera phone. Or why havent you put up your pictures in the public domain? You freaking ugly or you look like a monkey?

Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by fstranger: 11:08pm On Nov 15, 2010
ishit4body:

^^^

Humility? From a JJC, with a Law Degree from Wales University?

Oh no- he will shout and scream, i know my right. Of course, thats why the case got escalated. Trying to show off he just arrived, and he thinks he is a lawyer from the queens backyard.
I concur.

Hey, great body! I'd like to hit it someday, what say you?
Re: Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone by manny4life(m): 11:09pm On Nov 15, 2010
tensor777:

Perhaps it take more than humility to endure the kind of treatment this police officers give, Although I trust my Nigerian brother would have bragged though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Felix Idiga: Swat Jets Did Not Donate Any Private Jet To Tinubu's Campaign Group / 2023: Nobody Will Steal Money Under My Watch As President Of Nigeria – Atiku / Faleke, FCT Minister Hold Tinubu/Shetima Rally In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.