Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,764 members, 7,824,203 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again (26192 Views)

Electricity Grid Collapses Again / Nigeria's National Grid Collapses Again As Power Generation Drops To 42.7MW / Blackout Looms As National Grid Collapses Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Tiztonio(m): 10:54am On Nov 09, 2019
Do you need a professional logo?... Dm me on whatsapp. Check my designs and my number in the link in my signature. You will be amazed

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by bentwood85(m): 10:55am On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

The problem with power is that we need at least $100billion to fully replace and upgrade the grid., and even more hundreds of billions to improve generation as well. Especially since the grid is in a mess. And cannot even carry the power safely.

That's why power was privatised in 2014, so as to bring in funding for the sector. The problem is, most Nigerians don't pay for the little power they use. Then the law setting up the privatisation does not allow DISCOS to set the price...driving away foreign investors (and if the govewrnment revokes the law,and prices go up, people will shout opression), the banks don;t want to lend because they know they won't see their cash, and so on.

So far, all we have is the government plan to improve generation to 11000mw...which isn't enough anyway. And to be frank, we need power at 40000 MW before we even start seeing improvements. Lagos needs 10000mw for 24 hour light.

Yes, government has failed...but, without defending APC , PDP too has no answer to the power problem. Nor do any of the parties. Even if your Atiku took over, the sector is still going to face the issues I have enumerated.

It is either Nigerians are ready to face the truth and pay for improved power...government and people, or we forget about it, and keep on using generators.

And yes, before you shout...that is how some of us used to bash PDP until 2013...when this privatisation thing came up, and some of us had to do some reading and face the harsh truth and realise the problem is beyond PDP and APC. Nigeria needs a lot of money, possibly beyond what we have to fix power. Time we faced the truth.
I weep for this country bro..even if each houses pay 1m naira monthly, corruption would not allow for improvement of power..
Obasanjo approved more than $10billion for
the construction of various power plant nation wide, not even a single megawatt of electricity was generated....same thing is happening now.
When Nigerians are ready, we would make it great.....For now and with everything happening there is no hope for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Mrshape: 10:56am On Nov 09, 2019
fergie001:

That's the right way to write it.
When you want am or pm......you put the colon sign.

But in substation reportage, you write on a 24hr clock system.
Whether 12 hours or 24 hours clock, you have to but colon to demarcate between the hour and minute digits
And when you use 24hrs you don't put hrs because the digits are not only for hours and the minute digit is not in hours
It is 23:41 not 23:41hrs

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Taciturn1: 10:56am On Nov 09, 2019
Monogamy:
Who else notice how Nepa took the light slowly like generator that ran out of fuel?
I did, yesterday after 10pm in South
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Mrshape: 10:57am On Nov 09, 2019
Gentlemanforyou:

That's 9:34 pm
I am saying they did not write it well
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by surgical: 10:58am On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

No matter how much you think I am a bad person, the fact is, we need cash to make the thing better. And the cash is not going to come from the sky.

We need $900bn over 15 years to get to where we need to go power wise. And it was the experts who said that.

You cannot demand for something that costs N100000 at just N10. (You would end up sounding riddiculous like the minsiter who said food can be gotten for N30).

Yes, we are poor. Very poor. But we cannot always have everything free of charge. If you were running a business, would you like it if I took your stuff for free??

Where do you think the bad government comes from?? Bad people.
This are propaganda from an inept government
We don't need a arm and a leg to solve the electricity problem of Nigeria,all it requires is the cheer political will of a government that is sincere,examples abound about governments who have succeeded in this regard
But then the people gets the kind of government they deserve,when they are tired,they will know what to do

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 09, 2019
seankafor:
I never hear of that one

What I am saying in essence is that these peanut change we pay as electricity Bill's won't lead us anywhere.

My uncle lives in an estate in porthacourt managed by his oil company.

Their house rent is close to a mil..and they rarely have blackouts apart from maintenance hours which doesn't go past an hour in 5 days or a week.

Figure it out..luxury isn't cheap at all

Meters are good but people bypass it like jumping a queue..
Else people should just stick to their solar panels and generators .

Bro this is 2019, electric power is no more a luxury. Progressive nations are thinking in terms of clean energy and building windfarms & more nuclear reactors.

Why would you even talk of an oil & gas worker paying that much as rent? What percentage of Nigeria's working population is employed by the oil & gas industry? How many households in Nigeria earn a million naira per annum? Less than 10℅, I can wager. If you're going to be elitist at least do it with the right information....

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 09, 2019
bentwood85:

I weep for this country bro..even if each houses pay 1m naira monthly, corruption would not allow for improvement of power..
Obasanjo approved more than $10billion for
the construction of various power plant nation wide and not even a single megawatt was generated....same thing is happening now.
When Nigerians are ready, we would make it great.....For now and with everything happening there is no hope for Nigeria.

Well, wherever some of us ask for a closer look at all cases of the corrupt in Nigeria, people come and call us names.

I think PDP needs to be investigated for corrupt activities, including the GEJ admin. Somehow that makes me a stooge of the Hasuas, and complicit in a plot to islamise Nigeria.

I also think APC needs to be investigated too for corrupt activites. And that makes me....an IPOB member.

That's why I've stopped being too poltical on Nairaland. And in my daily life. Nigerians really love to talk about fighting corruption, but really don't want to do a thing about it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Gentlemanforyou: 10:59am On Nov 09, 2019
Eberejesus111:

Okay, what about business tax payers money, money generated from oil proceeds. Tell me about that, woun't that little sum from the national coffers at least solve the power issue.
You can't expect the people to trust a governement that hasn' t set the foundation with the little earnings it gets from the country.
The national revenue is for the people, i and you include and isn't wholly for the FG. If he really wanted to see changes, he would have used a part of the national reveneue and fuelled the system, made the amends and when the power system is strong to sustain itself, the people would take over. Simple.

Hello , does nigeria have $1trn?
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Jamersirwin1971: 11:00am On Nov 09, 2019
seankafor:
Getting steady power supply, we must be ready to pay through our nose.
If we can calculate how much fuel will give us steady power supply for a month in our homes, if we can pay such as electricity Bills, then we re closer to realizing the dream of power supply stability.

But are we ready to spend and pay such?

What’s your point ? In Ghana here I get electricity 24/7 and I pay just 4k monthly on my prepaid meter .. My freezer never goes off so it’s on 24/7 .we don’t have to pay such to realize any dreams . The government isn’t just serious about this . It has to be fully privatized then all willset in .

3 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by seankafor(m): 11:01am On Nov 09, 2019
GidiWoodsMan:

Bro this is 2019, electric power is no more a luxury. Progressive nations are thinking in terms of clean energy and building windfarms & more nuclear reactors.

Why would you even talk of an oil & gas worker paying that much as rent? What percentage of Nigeria's working population is employed by the oil & gas industry? How many households in Nigeria earn a million naira per annum? Less than 10℅, I can wager. If you're going to be elitist at least do it with the right information....
it's no more luxury in first world nations but its luxury I Nigeria bro whether u like it or not..else

When last /do u currently have steady electricity?

All am tryna say is this.. we need to pay more to achieve this power stability dream
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 09, 2019
surgical:
This are propaganda from an inept government
We don't need a arm and a leg to solve the electricity problem of Nigeria,all it requires is the cheer political will of a government that is sincere,examples abound about governments who have succeeded in this regard
But then the people gets the kind of government they deserve,when they are tired,they will know what to do

Good, go and campaign for a better government.

I think you need to be out in the field campaigning for office, and getting into power.

By the time you see the problem, when in power, especially why we are taking loans, and why things aren't any better...you'll see.,

Im no government propagandist. I'm a realist who thinks we need to liberalise our economy so that investment would flow in to build the stuff we need. Sadly APC nor PDP like my ideas.....and I don't like either party.

So, stop moaning, join a party and do something. I'm not the government. I'm just a silly joker commentator with ideas that don't work here.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by surgical: 11:06am On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

Good, go and campaign for a better government.

I think you need to be out in the field campaigning for office, and getting into power.

By the time you see the problem, when in power, especially why we are taking loans, and why things aren't any better...you'll see.,

Im no government propagandist. I'm a realist who thinks we need to liberalise our economy so that investment would flow in to build the stuff we need. Sadly APC nor PDP like my ideas.....and I don't like either party.

So, stop moaning, join a party and do something. I'm not the government. I'm just a silly joker commentator with ideas that don't work here.
solution is removed power from the exclusive legislative list,let all state deal with the power issues as it affects them
We don't need a central government to deal with it,apart from bottle neck,it breeds corruption
Competition serves the best dishes
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by frankmoney(m): 11:08am On Nov 09, 2019
Jamersirwin1971:

What’s your point ? In Ghana here I get electricity 24/7 and I pay just 4k monthly on my prepaid meter .. My freezer never goes off so it’s on 24/7 .we don’t have to pay such to realize any dreams . The government isn’t just serious about this . It has to be fully privatized then all willset in .
how many megawatts of electricity does Ghana produce ? And what's thier population

4 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by GMbuharii: 11:08am On Nov 09, 2019
Mining activities need power to operate while some "mining" activities don't need power to operate.

Shine ya eyes this December o! A word is enough for the wise.

grin

lzaa immhotep

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by brainhgeek(m): 11:09am On Nov 09, 2019

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by frankmoney(m): 11:09am On Nov 09, 2019
The solution is simple . Restructure the country each region produce your electricity . Get rid of the national grid . Nigeria is too big for operating a central government . Even countries as big as USA practice regional government and resource control . I wonder why can't we

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Just30: 11:11am On Nov 09, 2019
frankmoney:
how many megawatts of electricity does Ghana produce ? And what's thier population
5000 MW
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by frankmoney(m): 11:12am On Nov 09, 2019
Just30:
5000 MW
good Lagos alone needs more than 5000 megawatts to have steady light . Not too talk of other major cities .

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by baratech: 11:13am On Nov 09, 2019
I don't understand, is this something new?
Wasn't there darkness before the collapse?

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Fiyin007: 11:17am On Nov 09, 2019
frankmoney:

Ghana has a population of 30.6 million, compared to Nigeria with a population of 180million, if they can generate 5000MW of electricity despite not being a oil producing nation, then shame on Nigeria for not generating a minimum 30,000MW.

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 09, 2019
seankafor:
it's no more luxury in first world nations but its luxury I Nigeria bro whether u like it or not..else

When last /do u currently have steady electricity?

All am tryna say is this.. we need to pay more to achieve this power stability dream

Is Ghana a first world nation? Last time I checked Ghana has more stable power supply than Nigeria. We know people will eventually pay premium prices but at least make the damned thing available first. Do you prefer the current system of estimated billing where they make you pay for what you cannot see?
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by anthony86(m): 11:18am On Nov 09, 2019
There can only be constant power supply when government takes its hands of power supply business and allow private companies to run both generation and distribution. Just like the telecommunications sector as long as the hand of Government is in the cookie Jar there will be no power for all.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:20am On Nov 09, 2019
frankmoney:
China is currently generating and transmitting over 1,000,000 megawatt of electricity! Naija leaders will not go and learn from them but instead are concerned about increasing tariffs to the roof.

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 09, 2019
brainhgeek:
Just Las year, Germany paid electricity consumers money to use the extra power they unavoidably generated.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://punchng.com/germany-pays-customers-to-use-electricity-just-as-california-pays-neighbouring-states-to-use-excess-power-generated/&ved=2ahUKEwiotb-c8dzlAhUHWsAKHUACCTMQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3iNWMU4ULDgXcdwEMb28-V
Which way Nigeria?

Do German power consumers

1.Refuse to pay their bills as and at when due.

2.Chase away german power workers from reading their meters.

3.Pay as low as Nigeria? (Germans pay N120 naira per kilowat hour. Nigerians pay N50 at most per kilowat hour).

4.Germany uses Nuclear and green power. Nigeria ? (We cannot use nuclear power now, we are so backward)

5.German taxes are 50% of their annual income. Nigeria 0-24%

6.German GDP is much higher than Nigerian GDP.

If you want German level of power...pay German level of money (at which point you would be crying that Nigerians don't earn as much as germany...yet you want what the germans have without paying at their level!)

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Fiyin007: 11:24am On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

Do German power consumers

1.Refuse to pay their bills as and at when due.

2.Chase away german power workers from reading their meters.

3.Pay as low as Nigeria? (Germans pay N120 naira per kilowat hour. Nigerians pay N50 at most per kilowat hour).

4.Germany uses Nuclear and green power. Nigeria ? (We cannot use nuclear power now, we are so backward)

5.German taxes are 50% of their annual income. Nigeria 0-24%

6.German GDP is much higher than Nigerian GDP.

If you want German level of power...pay German level of money (at which point you would be crying that Nigerians don't earn as much as germany...yet you want what the germans have without paying at their level!)

Paying german level of money,wont guarantee german level of power in Nigeria. What happened to $16bn spent on power by Obj govt.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by HarunaWest(m): 11:25am On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

The problem with power is that we need at least $100billion to fully replace and upgrade the grid., and even more hundreds of billions to improve generation as well. Especially since the grid is in a mess. And cannot even carry the power safely.

That's why power was privatised in 2014, so as to bring in funding for the sector. The problem is, most Nigerians don't pay for the little power they use. Then the law setting up the privatisation does not allow DISCOS to set the price...driving away foreign investors (and if the govewrnment revokes the law,and prices go up, people will shout opression), the banks don;t want to lend because they know they won't see their cash, and so on.

So far, all we have is the government plan to improve generation to 11000mw...which isn't enough anyway. And to be frank, we need power at 40000 MW before we even start seeing improvements. Lagos needs 10000mw for 24 hour light.

Yes, government has failed...but, without defending APC , PDP too has no answer to the power problem. Nor do any of the parties. Even if your Atiku took over, the sector is still going to face the issues I have enumerated.

It is either Nigerians are ready to face the truth and pay for improved power...government and people, or we forget about it, and keep on using generators.

And yes, before you shout...that is how some of us used to bash PDP until 2013...when this privatisation thing came up, and some of us had to do some reading and face the harsh truth and realise the problem is beyond PDP and APC. Nigeria needs a lot of money, possibly beyond what we have to fix power. Time we faced the truth.
what truth dude?

Stop spewing thrash ahbeg. I recharge my meter every month @ #4,000 just to run a fridge, a t.v I don't have time for, 2 fans and Bout 3 energy saving bulbs
This Is for an area where we have light maximum 8-12 hours daily and atimes transformer blows up and we don't have for 2 days or so...yet I pay 4K for this thrash cos am an obidient Nigerian..I hate embarrassment. Others are not like me, government that has failed on all facets. what have they gotten right except corruption?... Your blaady supporting their quest upon they budget they have been spending on power which is in billions of dollars no improvement. It's still the same since I was born. Everyone of you shifting blame from the government have failed Nigeria. When you aren't you aren't competent for a position,why vie for it in the first place?. Government is a people and not a machine.
The Military, The Gowons, The Jonathan's, The Abachas, The Buharis are all mad. u sef

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by obi58: 11:25am On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

No matter how much you think I am a bad person, the fact is, we need cash to make the thing better. And the cash is not going to come from the sky.

We need $900bn over 15 years to get to where we need to go power wise. And it was the experts who said that.

You cannot demand for something that costs N100000 at just N10. (You would end up sounding riddiculous like the minsiter who said food can be gotten for N30).

Yes, we are poor. Very poor. But we cannot always have everything free of charge. If you were running a business, would you like it if I took your stuff for free??

Where do you think the bad government comes from?? Bad people.

Dear sir I refuse to accept your position.

Nigerians will pay for power if they enjoy what they are using. Till now, people are still being yoked with monumental estimated bills for very poor power supply in many areas and they are paying! In other areas, Discos are allocating their supply to metered areas where they are sure of generating their revenue but this is few and far between because in spite of the cries and pleas from Nigerians everywhere prepaid meters still remain a scarce commodity.

As for the issue of bypassing meters, there will always be deviants so the onus remains on the discos to devise effective monitoring strategies to block those leakages if they are serious.

How much has been spent by the government in transforming the power sector in the last 5 years? Why is there no appreciable improvement in the power experience.

What is our current power generating capacity compared to 2015? Why has there not been a significant impact? Do you have these figures?

Why did the Minister for Power assure the power issue would be resolved in 6 months what he has been unable to resolve in 5 years?

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 09, 2019
Fiyin007:

Paying german level of money,wont guarantee german level of power in Nigeria. What happened to $16bn spent on power by Obj govt.

1.So basically, you want power free of charge?

2.What about Obasanjo? Yes, the 16bn was embezzled...but if it was used...it costs 2.21BILLION to generate 1000MW. That means if the money was spent, we would have 5000MW . Taking us up to 9000MW. Lagos needs 10000MW (as at 2010) for 24 hour a day power, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Freezone81(m): 11:32am On Nov 09, 2019
No word from Phedc(portharcourt electricity distribution company) one of the worst disco in the country
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Dejuror: 11:34am On Nov 09, 2019
Our transformer has been faulty since September, BEDC officials said they don't know the fault, since then we have been in darkness
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Fiyin007: 11:36am On Nov 09, 2019
[quote author=Kanade21 post=83872262]

1.So basically, you want power free of charge?

2.What about Obasanjo? Yes, the 16bn was embezzled...but if it was used...it costs 2.21BILLION to generate 1000MW. That means if the money was spent, we would have 5000MW . Taking us up to 9000MW. Lagos needs 10000MW (as at 2010) for 24 hour a day power, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

[/quote

I barely get 6 hrs of electricity for a whole day,despite prompt payment. getting that free of charge is fair enough.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Festus Keyamo: As A Minister, I Can't Be On Tinubu's Legal Team / Army Promotes Three For Gallantry Against Boko Haram… / Rochas Okorocha Owing Workers. Pensioners 13 Month Salaries..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.