Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,216 members, 7,822,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again (26186 Views)

Electricity Grid Collapses Again / Nigeria's National Grid Collapses Again As Power Generation Drops To 42.7MW / Blackout Looms As National Grid Collapses Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by MrBONE2(m): 6:26pm On Nov 09, 2019
Nwadiuto247:
Electricity workers are the criminals. They collect bribe from customers rather than making them to pay their bills.

In my area i know some people who are in this business with electricity workers.

Each month they come and collect their usual bribe while their bills keep rising and unattended.

I ve encouraged them to get meter for themselves so that they stop getting estimated bill but they are not interested. They are cool with bribery
grin

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by murmee: 7:25pm On Nov 09, 2019
hotwax:
They closed border against power too.
Soon they will close border against oxygen..or start collecting VAT on breathing
As stupid as this post is, I still can't help laughing!
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by otokx(m): 7:40pm On Nov 09, 2019
Darkness everywhere.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Hamid7(m): 7:42pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

Plus all the billions we spend? I doubt we have spent up to 20-30bn since 1999. We need ten times that.
Billions of dollars meant for power projects was embezzled under Obasanjo. "Fool me once, shame on you fool me again shame on me"; Nigerians have been fooled multiple times already, and every step now taken by government is seen as a looting strategy.
Trust is what the government and DISCOs need from the peopke, but they lost that trust long time ago. No one will hand his money over whom he doesn't trust. They should reclaim that trust first.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:52pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

You said my source is 'wrong' without giving me your correct source, other than a 'lecture on types of power'.

Well, to be frank, if I had my way, Nigerians would be getting power 24/7 for 2000 naira monthly. I would be consficating all corruptly earned sources of money to pay for it.

The problems start when that source of money dries up.

That's what bothers me.

Good evening. And one more thing, in my intereactions with you, I have noticed you have often resorted to abuse and shouting, and calling me 'government agent'. I have noted all your abuse, and in response, I wish you well in your life endeavours.
You didn't see the source I put before?
Ok. Lemme paste it again
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

You don't wish anybody well guy.
If you can gather fake facts without cross-checking and use it to write an epistle which can be summarised as advocating for a scourge on innocent long-suffering masses of Nigeria.
You seem to absolve govt of all blame and come short of calling helpless Nigerians criminals and source of our power problems.
You don't wish anyone well. That's the honest truth!!
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by cronsberg: 8:03pm On Nov 09, 2019
The only thing i have come to realize with this hellish country is just to get out of it. no one and nothing will ever convince me that things will work in this country. do you even realize that since 1999 we are still in the range of 3000 - 4000 megawatts? mehn this country is hopeless. mtseeew
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

It still has to be paid for. And most of your states cannot afford it....so it would be ordinary people who would pay the bills out of their pockets....which are going to be high.

In other words,,,we are back to the issue of paying for power. Because, not only does it cost $2.2BILLION to generate 1000mw of power (and I believe each state would need about 10000MW or more).....the money issue is still there. (That means each state needs a budget of 20billion dollars to generate power to the max. We haven't mentioned building the state power grids too).

(Nigeria is not a rich country, and corruption makes the matter worse).

''It still has to be paid for. And most of your states cannot afford it....so it would be ordinary people who would pay the bills out of their pockets....which are going to be high."

U haven't still understood what I'm saying. With electricity everywhere, we will find it very easy to pay because everyone would be richer. Right now I use 2500 per month on prepaid metre and i spend minimum of 5000 monthly in generator. With constant power supply, i will be very okay already cuz am paying 7500 naira monthly on power, same applies to other Nigerians.

Each state in Nigeria wouldn't need 10,000MW, Just 2,000MW will do for any state with population of 3 million, the electricity each state will need depends on their needs. A state with heavy industries might need as much as 6000MW, while another state will need 1000MW.

In america it will cost 2.2 billion dollars to generate 1000MW, but in Nigeria it will cost just 30% of that or even less, redo ur math
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by meccuno: 10:03pm On Nov 09, 2019
grin

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by aniyphil: 10:31pm On Nov 09, 2019
On Twitter . . .this one below really got me ! grin grin grin

your church mind
@OgaNnamdii
"Shebi if Nepa want to do Black Friday, at least they'd have done adverts first. Which one is this ákamole"
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by careidon: 2:03pm On Nov 10, 2019
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

pls don't talk about cost of generating power again without reading the link above...

so many interesting issues raised here with lots of misguided opinions about what the problem actually is/are... but we often talk less of solutions. Maybe if we talk more of solutions, we could improve the power situation.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by careidon: 2:22pm On Nov 10, 2019
2. NO METERS
Google Fashola' figure on registered power users. Yes, we have poor data in this country BUT A BIZ CAN'T USE THAT AS AN EXCUSE EXCEPT THEY ARE TRULY STUPID not to generate accurate figures of customers consuming their products and not estimates after 6years.

Even if people don't pay It's the fault of the DISCOs!!!

Let me explain thus...
They collect a measured quantity from GENCOs, and are billed for it to be paid later, but when they are selling the refuse to sell with any measure!!! Only preferring to dump on the public & expect esp the unmetered to be as stupid as they are not to know fair estimate of what they consumed compared to metered folks to complain and contest their billing (which is based on fake number of hours of power availability 18-20hours & use of equipmentsq11 throughout referenced period)

It's like a kerosine seller that buys with proper measuring instruments from a station and uses hand to sell; then incurs losses and wants to start blaming his customers for his stupidity.

if you were a judge in this case would you call the seller what he actually is - "Oponu" or fool. Of course they will take his/her excess and RIGHTLY contest if short changed. Why do you think estimated bill is the biggest complain from all meetings Fashola had with the public?

THEY SIMPLY SHOULD PROVIDE METERS AND STOP BRUSHING US ALL AS POWER THIEVES.

It's like if a 1.5l car' fuel gauge stops working, but we all have an idea of mile/gallon consumption (of same and similar car engine capacity) to be able to complain if fuel sold/used on a very familiar trip (say Lagos-Ibadan) becomes 5 times what a 5liter engine V12 car/SUV typically uses to justifiably cry foul!!!

Well that's the fraud estimated billing is justifying & trying make us believe should be condoned.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by careidon: 2:37pm On Nov 10, 2019
3. Bank Loans to power companies
the power companies are not getting bank loans because they are not bankable not because their customers are not paying.

There's nothing wrong in buying a company with debts, but the quality of the debts is key.
So what's the quality of the debts?
They inherited estimated, fake & contested bills debts generated by PHCN who stopped reading meter bills.
How many of these bills are to the account of dead tenants/landlords, actual seating delinquent tenants/users vs tenants that have moved out & moved on?

They should have studied and paid less of the debts when buying; make PHCN that knows the debt history agree to form a unit to remit it to FG after resolving & collecting such since most were under contest even then - issues were "am not the debtor/user then" (why didn't you collect from him/her? why were your staff collecting bribes instead of your bills?); "am a new tenant, I owe you nothing";"go and meet the agent or landlord for past debts, I'll pay for only my own consumption"; "you brought another person's bill to me" etc.

but they too were not coming with clean hands, funds or meters. CURRENT METERING EXERCISE IS SLOW BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING TO IMPOSE THE OLD DEBTS ON NEW METERS/USERS. BEWARE as they just configure you with debts without your knowledge!!!
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by careidon: 2:48pm On Nov 10, 2019
4. GREED & INCOMPETENCE
it's public knowledge the new owners are new to energy biz & borrowed to buy the assets & debt.
where are the financial & technical partners that they included in their bid documents today? They gamed the system!
The banks are right not to loan them... Their model, purchase coverups & mistakes are glaring to them. Even if banks won't loan them, what stops them borrowing from the public = stock market - they want controlling shares but can't invest as agreed in the performance MOU/SPA that requires they must invest more funds; not just take over what FG built, wait to bill the public crazy and call that their investment funds!?
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by careidon: 3:19pm On Nov 10, 2019
5. POLITICAL WILL
after the greed/mistake in debt purchase. comes Nigeria' interesting model of doing business - Quota system & Monopoly.
we just converted govt monopoly to broke, incompetent private monopolies and expect efficient power!!

the companies involved have made it expressly clear, they have no funds (to even provide meters). In their greed they refused to buy from local meter assemblers. Now they've succeeded in forcing the govt to push it unto us without allowing us but from China ourselves (check prices on Alibaba) while they just configure the kwh rate into it. GREED makes them want to have it all.!!!

RESCIND THE SALES - THEY HAVE BREACHED THEIR SPA or we'll all keep waiting for these broke & unbankable entitiesthem forever; OR JUST ALLOW GENUINE PRIVATISATION INVOLVING OTHER CAPABLE PROVIDERS (like the Meter Asset Provider companies brought in when it became obvious the biggest public complaint is metering & they are too broke to be able to provide)

stop the national grid nonsense and let willing sellers supply willing buyers.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by kingbusy: 11:13pm On Nov 19, 2019
Please I need a support. I want to ask , is the monitor or display part of the prepaid meter replaceable. If yes please what is the price and how or where can I get it. I discovered the one I have was missing at installation after travelling.
Please it's needed as fast as possible. Here is the way it looks like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kwara Residents Digging Ground With Bare Hands To Get Drinking Water: Video / Appeal Court Sacks Senator Sekibo, Other PDP Lawmakers / Edo: Court Restrains Self From Further Hearing Of Suit Challenging Direct Primar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.