Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again (26188 Views)

Electricity Grid Collapses Again / Nigeria's National Grid Collapses Again As Power Generation Drops To 42.7MW / Blackout Looms As National Grid Collapses Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by fergie001: 10:37am On Nov 09, 2019
Mrshape:
How are they calculating their hours?
I don't even know the maths people learn during their primary school.
2134hrs hmm na wao
on a 24hr clock....
That's 09:34pm

3 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by 9jaBloke: 10:37am On Nov 09, 2019
No wonder
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 09, 2019
saaron:
Rarely hears about National grid collapse prior to 2015 elections till the brainless one became president.
Very useless regime.

LOL.....there were grid collpases back then too.

Also part of the reason why it is getting worse...the grid's carrying capapcity is being stretched. More people using power every year.
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Professoraboki2: 10:38am On Nov 09, 2019
olasaad:

Eaya! and we are tired of it in my area

Which area, please? I'm open to relocation. shocked
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by ppogba: 10:38am On Nov 09, 2019
There is power in my home presently.

Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by claseek(f): 10:39am On Nov 09, 2019
Nwadiuto247:
Electricity workers are the criminals. They collect bribe from customers rather than making them to pay their bills.

In my area i know some people who are in this business with electricity workers.

Each month they come and collect their usual bribe while their bills keep rising and unattended.

I ve encouraged them to get meter for themselves so that they stop getting estimated bill but they are not interested. They are cool with bribery
thank you for pointing this out. You'll see people ignorantly paying this people bribe to not get disconnected..while your bill is there waiting for you and rising

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

The problem with power is that we need at least $100billion to fully replace and upgrade the grid., and even more hundreds of billions to improve generation as well. Especially since the grid is in a mess. And cannot even carry the power safely.

That's why power was privatised in 2014, so as to bring in funding for the sector. The problem is, most Nigerians don't pay for the little power they use. Then the law setting up the privatisation does not allow DISCOS to set the price...driving away foreign investors (and if the govewrnment revokes the law,and prices go up, people will shout opression), the banks don;t want to lend because they know they won't see their cash, and so on.

So far, all we have is the government plan to improve generation to 11000mw...which isn't enough anyway. And to be frank, we need power at 40000 MW before we even start seeing improvements. Lagos needs 10000mw for 24 hour light.

Yes, government has failed...but, without defending APC , PDP too has no answer to the power problem. Nor do any of the parties. Even if your Atiku took over, the sector is still going to face the issues I have enumerated.

It is either Nigerians are ready to face the truth and pay for improved power...government and people, or we forget about it, and keep on using generators.

And yes, before you shout...that is how some of us used to bash PDP until 2013...when this privatisation thing came up, and some of us had to do some reading and face the harsh truth and realise the problem is beyond PDP and APC. Nigeria needs a lot of money, possibly beyond what we have to fix power. Time we faced the truth.
Okay, what about business tax payers money, money generated from oil proceeds. Tell me about that, woun't that little sum from the national coffers at least solve the power issue.
You can't expect the people to trust a governement that hasn' t set the foundation with the little earnings it gets from the country.
The national revenue is for the people, i and you include and isn't wholly for the FG. If he really wanted to see changes, he would have used a part of the national reveneue and fuelled the system, made the amends and when the power system is strong to sustain itself, the people would take over. Simple.

3 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 09, 2019
GidiWoodsMan:

Okay, why is it so hard to give everyone prepaid metres so that this stùpid myth of 'Nigerians don't pay for the electricity they use' can be laid to rest once and for all.

They should.....
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by seankafor(m): 10:40am On Nov 09, 2019
Getting steady power supply, we must be ready to pay through our nose.
If we can calculate how much fuel will give us steady power supply for a month in our homes, if we can pay such as electricity Bills, then we re closer to realizing the dream of power supply stability.

But are we ready to spend and pay such?

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

Prepaid meters can and have been bypassed.

And if DISCO officialls come to check on them, they would be chased off.

(Yes, it happened near where I used to live, and the Police had to be involved).

Those.are exceptional circumstances that are easily taken care of by law enforcement & technology.

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 09, 2019
seankafor:
Getting steady power supply, we must be ready to pay through our nose.
If we can calculate how much fuel will give us steady power supply for a month in our homes, if we can pay such as electricity Bills, then we re closer to realizing the dream of power supply stability.

But are we ready to spend and pay such?

Ever heard of the term 'economies of scale'?
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by effty(m): 10:42am On Nov 09, 2019
Mtchewwww... I never had electricity supply for almost a year in Uyo.

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by MARKone(m): 10:43am On Nov 09, 2019
fergie001:

It's everywhere......let's bear with them sha!

Typical Nigerian mentality. For how long will we keep "bearing" with them.

3 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by TeamSimple(m): 10:44am On Nov 09, 2019
There is light here
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:45am On Nov 09, 2019
I knew something serious has happened when they took our light. It almost never happens. It has been restored now though. Maybe they are using emergency generator... cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Mrshape: 10:45am On Nov 09, 2019
fergie001:

on a 24hr clock....
That's 09:34pm
Is that the right way to write it?
Are they not suppose to but the demarcating dots?
Are they suppose to but hours after it?
Does are my course for concern,
That was my course for complain
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by fergie001: 10:45am On Nov 09, 2019
MARKone:

Typical Nigerian mentality. For how long will we keep "bearing" with them.
Oya 'go and beat" them..

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 09, 2019
Eberejesus111:

Okay, what about business tax payers money, money generated from oil proceeds. Tell me about that, woun't that little sum from the national coffers at least solve the power issue.
You can't expect the people to trust a governement that hasn' t set the foundation with the little earnings it gets from the country.
The national revenue is for the people, i and you include and isn't wholly for the FG. If he really wanted to see changes, he would have used a part of the national reveneue and fuelled the system, made the amends and when the power system is strong to sustain itself, the people would take over. Simple.

What if I told you that the problem is that the cash needed is beyond what we can raise from taxes, oil revenues, etc.

At the moment, our reserves is at 40billion dollars. We need far more than that to upgrade, and extend the grid. Someone even said we need $900billion over 15 years before we get power stable.

That's why power was privatised.

Take GSM. GSM was private from the word go. And bills were intially sky high. The GSM companies took the money we paid them....and used it to build our telephone and internet netowrk. If government was paying for the thing....by now we would still be struggling with VSAT...and seriously limited phone network (and we won't have home internet...we would still be using cafes..and slow speed).

Problem with power privatisaiton is that people can use power without paying for it. People and government agencies don't pay their bills, and people bribe and connive with DISCO officials to steal power. And at the end of the day, we are all worse off for it.

6 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by seankafor(m): 10:45am On Nov 09, 2019
GidiWoodsMan:

Ever heard of the term 'economies of scale'?
I never hear of that one

What I am saying in essence is that these peanut change we pay as electricity Bill's won't lead us anywhere.

My uncle lives in an estate in porthacourt managed by his oil company.

Their house rent is close to a mil..and they rarely have blackouts apart from maintenance hours which doesn't go past an hour in 5 days or a week.

Figure it out..luxury isn't cheap at all

Meters are good but people bypass it like jumping a queue..
Else people should just stick to their solar panels and generators .

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by fergie001: 10:46am On Nov 09, 2019
Mrshape:

Is that the right way to write it?
Are they not suppose to but the demarcating dots?
Are they suppose to but hours after it?
Does are my course for concern,
That was my course for complain
That's the right way to write it.
When you want am or pm......you put the colon sign.

But in substation reportage, you write on a 24hr clock system.

2 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by xtrim1: 10:46am On Nov 09, 2019
Monogamy:
Who else notice how Nepa took the light slowly like generator that ran out of fuel?

More like say neutral and live jam
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by surgical: 10:46am On Nov 09, 2019
Kanade21:

And that's a big part of why DISCOS and GENCOS cannot raise funds for power in Nigeria.

Nigerians don't want to pay for power. They want it for free. Hence the bribery and corruption
when will people like you ever accept responsibility,the refused to find solutions to petroleum products importation,it is the people,they are smugglers
The economy is bad,it is the people they like cheap imported goods, the borders should be closed
There is unemployment,it is still the people, the youths are lazy
There is no power because of system collapse
It is the people they don't pay electricity bills
A government and it's supporters that thinks this way can never achieve any meaningful thing,
For now Nigerians are on a long thing with this government and his supporters

8 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by israelmao(m): 10:47am On Nov 09, 2019
Where is Fashola ,Mr.6month Restoration of Power Supply?

3 Likes

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Just2endowed2(m): 10:48am On Nov 09, 2019
RedBlackPepper:
Even when the national grid didn't colapse; are we enjoying light? Mchewww

i think it was around 12am. if you see the way the power went off. i woke up from sleep and was trying to switch off everything. the voltage was fluctuating heavily.

but not to worry, if you check my siggy, i have a durable powerbank that everyone should have. from 10,000mah to 30,000mah and i am a reputable seller on nairaland. check my siggy and you be amazed on lots of testimonies by nairalanders and customers wink
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by olasaad(f): 10:48am On Nov 09, 2019
Professoraboki2:

Which area, please? I'm open to relocation. shocked

Lol Ilorin

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 09, 2019
surgical:
when will people like you ever accept responsibility,the refused to find solutions to petroleum products importation,it is the people,they are smugglers
The economy is bad,it is the people they like cheap imported goods, the borders should be closed
There is unemployment,it is still the people, the youths are lazy
There is no power because of system collapse
It is the people they don't pay electricity bills
A government and it's supporters that thinks this way can never achieve any meaningful thing,
For now Nigerians are on a long thing with this government and his supporters

No matter how much you think I am a bad person, the fact is, we need cash to make the thing better. And the cash is not going to come from the sky.

We need $900bn over 15 years to get to where we need to go power wise. And it was the experts who said that.

You cannot demand for something that costs N100000 at just N10. (You would end up sounding riddiculous like the minsiter who said food can be gotten for N30).

Yes, we are poor. Very poor. But we cannot always have everything free of charge. If you were running a business, would you like it if I took your stuff for free??

Where do you think the bad government comes from?? Bad people.

1 Like

Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Staro: 10:52am On Nov 09, 2019
Naija!!!
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Naijaarchive(m): 10:53am On Nov 09, 2019
We get power in Ibadan.. Only experienced the outage last night grin
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Gentlemanforyou: 10:53am On Nov 09, 2019
Mrshape:
How are they calculating their hours?
I don't even know the maths people learn during their primary school.
2134hrs hmm na wao
That's 9:34 pm
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by Gudguyz(m): 10:53am On Nov 09, 2019
Haha again better call Sunmax Solar now!!!
Christmas & New year is approaching don't let naija factors put you in persistent darkness this festive season

For your power Solution:
Solar and Inverter installations Call or What's app Sunmax Solar & Electronics shop.For details pls check my signature.Thanks
Re: Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again by NGRsenate: 10:53am On Nov 09, 2019
Nwadiuto247:
Electricity workers are the criminals. They collect bribe from customers rather than making them to pay their bills.

In my area i know some people who are in this business with electricity workers.

Each month they come and collect their usual bribe while their bills keep rising and unattended.

I ve encouraged them to get meter for themselves so that they stop getting estimated bill but they are not interested. They are cool with bribery

Even with a functioning meter you still get estimated bills, so what are you saying?

Nigerians want to pay but we won’t pay for what we did not see/use.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque / Nigerians In Abuja Protest Against Election Postponement / Jude Chukwu Replaces Sani Usman As Army Spokesman (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.