Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North (10575 Views)

Tinubu Under Security Watch Over Alleged Plot Against Buhari / PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties / APC Has No Igbo Agenda. We 'll Vote For Jonathan-ohanaeze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Abagworo(m): 12:14am On Nov 21, 2010
How to wrong foot the North was the crux of the meeting President Goodluck Jonathan held with Ohanaeze Ndigbo in Aso Rock on Wednesday, Sunday Independent gathered, as mixed greetings greet the group’s endorsement of the President for the 2011 ballot.

The meeting was held at the instance of Jonathan who personally invited the Ohanaeze President-General,  Ralph Uwaechue who in turn called his lieutenants in the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the organisation to attend the parley.

On Uwaechue’s entourage were former Anambra State Governor, Chukwuemeka Ezeife; former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ojo Maduekwe;  former Aviation Minister, Mbazulike Amechi; Acting Secretary General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Eddy Onuoha; Publicity Secretary, Ralph Ndigwe; Professor Anya O. Anya; and Dr (Mrs.) Uche Azikiwe.

Former Senate President, Anyim Pius Anyim promised to cut short his visit to London and join the delegation but called later to say he missed his flight.

A member of the delegation told Sunday Independent that Jonathan thanked Ohanaeze for the controversial endorsement, and recalled writing the group to seek Ndigbo’s support when he was Vice President to the late Umaru Yar’Adua.

He reportedly told the delegation that he needs their support more now that he wants to vie for the 2011 presidency, adding that he was very sure that a monolithic support from the entire South would give him an edge over whoever emerges the consensus candidate from the North.

Jonathan confessed to the Ohanaeze leaders that he has gotten more support from the South East than the South-South where he hails from, stressing that the Governors and Speakers of the South-East zone have endorsed him collectively and individually.

He said the Ohanaeze’s endorsement capped the gale of such backings from various organisations from the South East.

The group was said to have assured Jonathan of bloc votes from the region and from all Igbo persons domiciled elsewhere outside Igbo land.

The source said: “Before we visited the President, he had received a delegation of Northern leaders and South West leaders, so there is nothing special about Ohanaeze honouring an invitation by the President. Why should Ohanaeze’s own be different?”

Another member of the delegation who pleaded anonymity added: “What we are doing is to earn respect for Igbo man. If the Ndigbo reconcile their differences with the South-South and work with them, such gesture will never be taken for granted. If we support the North to win, at the end of the day, the North knowing that the resources of this country are in the South-South, will dump the Igbo man who they have little use of and re-align with South-South under any arrangement. It could be unity government or anything.”

That emerged as former President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Dozie Ikedife, expressed deep misgivings about the Aso Rock visit, saying it confirmed fears in certain quarters that the pan Igbo socio-cultural organisation has become an arm of the ruling party.

Ikedife said in a telephone interview that there is a conscious attempt to turn Ohanaeze into a wing of a political party, which should not be so.

He insisted it was premature to endorse Jonathan, who remains an aspirant for now, as doing so amounts to pre-empting the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) primaries.

He warned Ndigbo to be careful because the posture of Ohanaeze looks dangerous, especially with claims in the media that the group’s leadership may have been bought over to do the biding of Jonathan whom some Igbo leaders accuse of not sealing any deal with the region for which they could back his aspiration.

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=24152
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by aljharem(m): 12:16am On Nov 21, 2010
@topic angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 12:19am On Nov 21, 2010
alj harem:

@topic angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. get used to it!

@ topic

i have always said GJ should be careful so as not to be seen as a regional leader. moreover, i wonder how we can have an igbo president if by 2015 every politician would be back to their tent (no zoning). it would all be about regional interest and the region that makes the best deal wins
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Abagworo(m): 12:34am On Nov 21, 2010
jason12345:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. get used to it!

@ topic

i have always said GJ should be careful so as not to be seen as a regional leader. moreover, i wonder how we can have an igbo president if by 2015 every politician would be back to their tent (no zoning). it would all be about regional interest and the region that makes the best deal wins

My view is that GEJ should leave PDP in order to enjoy credibility.As for Ohaneze mingling in politics,it does not enjoy my support.I still believe it is quite early to conclude on who to vote.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Nobody: 12:36am On Nov 21, 2010
There is a saying that when you are crossing a gutter, you better off crossing with each of your legs at a time.

But I am afraid Ohaneze might be jumping with both legs at the same time.

This is if this news is true.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by amingafar(m): 12:45am On Nov 21, 2010
ibos smh

always reading things backward.

The yorubas said Jonathan should look before he leeps and yorubas all cannot support him.
We in the north and middle are split between him and other candidates

Now ibos read it as north and west are supprting Jonathan
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by amingafar(m): 12:48am On Nov 21, 2010
when will these people change?
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by chyz(m): 12:51am On Nov 21, 2010
amingafar:

when will these people change?

Never, until northerners and fake northernes like you change.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by chyz(m): 12:53am On Nov 21, 2010
Something is fishy about the article. Is it from the Sun newspaper? Source Please
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by amingafar(m): 12:53am On Nov 21, 2010
ohaneze needs not to support anyone

and advise ibo to pick the candidate of  their own choices

chyz:

Never, Until northerners and fake northers like you change.

cool the middle belt has always been split which is they way its suppose to be I dont expect every igala to be with north or south
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by chyz(m): 12:55am On Nov 21, 2010
amingafar:

cool the middle belt has always been split which is they way its suppose to be I dont expect every igala to be with north or south

Although im still mad at the fact that you faked about being from the north, what you have typed has been the only sensible thing i have seen you say all day.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 12:56am On Nov 21, 2010
mikeansy:

There is a saying that when you are crossing a gutter, you better off crossing with each of your legs at a time.

But I am afraid Ohaneze might be jumping with both legs at the same time.

This is if this news is true.

that is the perfect comment.

GJ has not won the primaries in pdp talkless of the election.

moreover with the endorsement, i think it would be viewed as igbos don't support zoning (your leader represents you in the political terrain) and since they do not support it. it is virtually impossible for an igbo president 2015 because

1) the northerner would only vote for muslims and northerner
2) the ACN party would sweep all SW states as orji kalu said
3) the GJ might want to carry on after 2015 since e was not "elected" twice.(i know its based on the inauguration but people can change any time. humans are very dynamic creatures. he can twist the constitution to suit him especially with Clark on his back)
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 1:00am On Nov 21, 2010
chyz:

Never, until northerners and fake northernes like you change.
grin grin grin grin

amingafar:

i have agitated for this but ONLYTRUTH said that was the best decision. i think they should have not involved themselves with politics but if they want to, then they should pick their own candidate so as to be remain relevant politically before 2015 for the final assault on the presidential seat
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by HighChief4(m): 1:07am On Nov 21, 2010
@Poster
Source please

@Op

I do not see anything wrong with Ohanaeze supporting GEJ since we do not have anybody from the South East contesting for preesidency
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 1:09am On Nov 21, 2010
Abagworo:

My view is that GEJ should leave PDP in order to enjoy credibility.As for Ohaneze mingling in politics,it does not enjoy my support.I still believe it is quite early to conclude on who to vote.

sorry for the late reply

once he leaves pdp , his credibility would be greater but will he leave?? and yes ohaneze should not have gotten themselves involved
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by HighChief4(m): 1:10am On Nov 21, 2010
jason12345:

grin grin grin grin

i have agitated for this but ONLYTRUTH said that was the best decision. i think they should have not involved themselves with politics but if they want to, then they should pick their own candidate so as to be remain relevant politically before 2015 for the final assault on the presidential seat

To an extent Ohanaeze should be involved politically, how best can they protect the interest of Ndigbo if not by so doing
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by amingafar(m): 1:13am On Nov 21, 2010
Jonathan cannot leave PDP it is his party,

North doesnt not believe in Zoning it was just a tool so power can come back to us.

we all know dat only south is living on tooth and nail like its the end of the world

we have had middle belt Gowon and IBB both christian and muslim, yet southerners who are prozoning are ok with it electing IBB again does that not spell dullness
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Nobody: 1:17am On Nov 21, 2010
High_Chief:

To an extent Ohanaeze should be involved politically, how best can they protect the interest of Ndigbo if not by so doing

Who says after May 29th 2011 Ohaneze can not pledge loyalty and support to whoever wins the election while reminding whoever gets elected their responsibility to Ndigbo as an integral part of Nigeria geopolitics?

Must Ohaneze be partisan now?
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 1:18am On Nov 21, 2010
High_Chief:

did you read the analyses by kalu? he was right.

to protect the interest of Ndigbo is to remain politically relevant not to support some one that can change (with all due respect to GJ and beaf cheesy). human beings are dynamic creatures and the deal he might have made can change anytime or be jettisoned(eg zoning).

for ohnaeze to support GJ means they do not support zoning and that means they do not want the presidency. you have to understand that 2015 the power would seem concentrated in the south so the middle belt and north would unite. also, the SW and MW would not vote for any geopolitical zone since they have their own party (ACN)  that is doing wonders. the SS might feel isolated politically and "may" make a deal with the north (as always) since it would be a free for all fight for the presidency. moreover, i have a strong feeling the power would return to the north after 2015. this is just my opinion.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Nobody: 1:18am On Nov 21, 2010
amingafar:

Jonathan cannot leave PDP it is his party,

North doesnt not believe in Zoning it was just a tool so power can come back to us.

we all know dat only south is living on tooth and nail like its the end of the world

we have had middle belt Gowon and IBB both christian and muslim, yet southerners who are prozoning are ok with it electing IBB again does that not spell dullness

Your pretence to be a Northerner is being executed poorly. Try better next time.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 1:20am On Nov 21, 2010
mikeansy:

Who says after May 29th 2011 Ohaneze can not pledge loyalty and support to whoever wins the election while reminding whoever gets elected their responsibility to Ndigbo as an integral part of Nigeria geopolitics?

Must Ohaneze be partisan now?

GBAM!!! everything has to do with patience, careful planning and right timing
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 1:22am On Nov 21, 2010
i do not know much about SE politics but i am very sure that, the people that KNOW their politics in that region would not support GJ
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by chyz(m): 1:24am On Nov 21, 2010
jason12345:

i do not know much about SE politics but i am very sure that, the people that KNOW their politics in that region would not support GJ

The citizens definitely will.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by aljharem(m): 1:24am On Nov 21, 2010
mikeansy:

Your pretence to be a Northerner is being executed poorly. Try better next time.

can i ask how he is pretending to be northern

some igalas think they are northern, something they are yorubas while other are igbos

it all depends on the region u want to be with undecided

jonathan has screwed his people

ohaneze have sold the se vote to the highest bider  cool
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by chyz(m): 1:25am On Nov 21, 2010
alj harem:

can i ask how he is pretending to be northern

so igalas think they are northern, something they are yorubas while other are igbos

it all depends on the region u want to be with undecided

jonathan has screwed his people

[b]ohaneze have sold the se vote to the highest bider  [/b]cool

Whether sold or unsold GEJ is our man. cool
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Beaf: 1:27am On Nov 21, 2010
The Independent is Ibori's paper, isn't it?
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 1:30am On Nov 21, 2010
chyz:

The citizens definitely will.

yes, that is how it should be! wink but the SW AND MW would go for the presidency as they are doing now. i think we have to be careful so as not to feel marginalised in nigeria. it takes the determination of a people to achieve what is know as the "Best interest of the people".

chyz:

Whether sold or unsold GEJ is our man. cool

i like that. it is just a shame the SW and MW would not unite with Gj instead they would go for the presidency sad
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by chyz(m): 1:36am On Nov 21, 2010
jason12345:

yes, that is how it should be! wink but the SW AND MW would go for the presidency as they are doing now. i think we have to be careful so as not to feel marginalised in nigeria. it takes the determination of a people to achieve what is know as the "Best interest of the people".

i like that. it is just a shame the SW and MW would not unite with Gj instead they would go for the presidency sad

What is MW?
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 1:36am On Nov 21, 2010
chyz:

What is MW?

mid west
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by chyz(m): 1:37am On Nov 21, 2010
jason12345:

mid west

what states consist of the midwest?
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by ChinenyeN(m): 1:39am On Nov 21, 2010
Abagworo:

The group was said to have assured Jonathan of bloc votes from the region and from all Igbo persons domiciled elsewhere outside Igbo land.
I laugh in Igbo.

Abagworo:

That emerged as former President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Dozie Ikedife, expressed deep misgivings about the Aso Rock visit, saying it confirmed fears in certain quarters that the pan Igbo socio-cultural organisation has become an arm of the ruling party.

Ikedife said in a telephone interview that there is a conscious attempt to turn Ohanaeze into a wing of a political party, which should not be so.

He insisted it was premature to endorse Jonathan, who remains an aspirant for now, as doing so amounts to pre-empting the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) primaries.

He warned Ndigbo to be careful because the posture of Ohanaeze looks dangerous, especially with claims in the media that the group’s leadership may have been bought over to do the biding of Jonathan whom some Igbo leaders accuse of not sealing any deal with the region for which they could back his aspiration.
This is exactly what happens when socio-cultural groups mumu-ishly play politics.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 1:39am On Nov 21, 2010
chyz:

what states consist of the midwest?

it is just edo state that i know of. . . . and may be delta

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Jonathan Nominates Akinkuotu As Demuren’s Replacement / Igbo And Yoruba Collaboration Can Change Nigeria, If They Bury The Hatchet. / Buhari Can Fund Election Without National Assembly Approval - PACAC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.