Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,783 members, 7,831,526 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North (10599 Views)

Tinubu Under Security Watch Over Alleged Plot Against Buhari / PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties / APC Has No Igbo Agenda. We 'll Vote For Jonathan-ohanaeze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Nobody: 4:02am On Nov 21, 2010
When we enter the Political season for real, the real supporters of Jonathan will show their face.

The half hearted once will become bolder in opposition.

The motivation for most Governors right now is to avoid EFCC problem and maintain good working relationship with the Presidency.

On the eve of elections new interest will emerge, interests which includes who gets what, which Governor wants to have an ambition by 2015 will override their current interests then the real politics will start.

Jonathan has shown some positive signs to me lately, but he has not won me over yet and may never do. But Ohaneze should chill, democracy is a game of numbers and Jonathan has not done enough to convince the country that he is the right man for the job.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Onlytruth(m): 4:09am On Nov 21, 2010
My brother [b]Mike [/b]sometimes disappoints me. cry cry cry sad

It is rather pedestrian to see the anti-Jonathan position of Ekwueme, Soludo and Ken Nnamani as some kind of big deal.

Please note that they all belong to PDP and must necessarily have their preferred choice, example Nnamani supports IBB.

These guys are doing so for PERSONAL reasons and not for group reasons.

Jonathan has garnered Igbo support from across the political spectrum.

What is shows is that Ndigbo have decided to play the Nigerian game like others.

We have gained a lot of respect with this endorsement. Win or lose, Ndigbo gains massively.

Please note that Ndigbo are doing what the North was scheming to do - which is to leapfrog Ndigbo in support of a south south candidate.
That is how Jonathan become the VP in the first place.

Since more Igbos have come to know that Jonathan wanted to carry us along even as a VP (through his letter to Ndigbo), his support in Igboland has zoomed to the sky.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 4:17am On Nov 21, 2010
Onlytruth:

My brother Mike [/b]sometimes disappoints me. cry cry cry sad

It is rather pedestrian to see the anti-Jonathan position of Ekwueme, Soludo and Ken Nnamani as some kind of big deal.

Please note that they all belong to PDP and must necessarily have their preferred choice, example Nnamani supports IBB.

These guys are doing so for PERSONAL reasons and not for group reasons.

Jonathan has garnered Igbo support from across the political spectrum.

What is shows is that Ndigbo have decided to play the Nigerian game like others.

[b]We have gained a lot of respect with this endorsement. Win or lose, Ndigbo gains massively

Please note that Ndigbo are doing what the North was scheming to do - which is to leapfrog Ndigbo in support of a south south candidate.
That is how Jonathan become the VP in the first place.

Since more Igbos have come to know that Jonathan wanted to carry us along even as a VP (through his letter to Ndigbo), his support in Igboland has zoomed to the sky.

pls, explain the bolded part
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Onlytruth(m): 4:30am On Nov 21, 2010
jason12345:

pls, explain the bolded part

Believe me, that bolded part is the ultimate truth.

Since the "Eyo Ita incidence" of the 50s, the north had lied against Ndigbo saying that we undermine our minority neighbors. From that era, these minorities have voted northern candidates. It has remain so even till now. Only this time, God is involved and that God has decided to right the wrongs and stop the lies.

Now, Jonathan found himself (not through any fault of his) as the country's president.
The north wanted to leap frog Ndigbo and that is how Jonathan became the VP. Well, Jonathan being a good son of his father, understood that Nigeria cannot move forward with the type of anti-Igbo games going on. So, he wrote to Ndigbo in 2006 pouring his heart out and sought our support to help him secure Eastern interests.

Today, we are responding to that call and it is making some people uncomfortable. I wonder why. undecided undecided
Just yesterday, some of them started to say that Jonathan is "unelectable" because of his minority Ijaw tribe. Well, if that is true, why did you pick him in the first place ahead of someone from a majority tribe?  What games are you playing?  You thought he could never develop the balls to go for the real thing?

Anyway, Ndigbo are trying the bury the "Eyo Ita demon" once and for all.

After next year, no one will accuse us of bullying our minority neighbors.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Nobody: 4:35am On Nov 21, 2010
Onlytruth

with what Guage do you determine who is taking his positions for personal reasons and who is taking his for group reasons?

who is to say Uwechue's decisions can not be for personal reasons?

I have argued this severally, whatever political decisions you make. It will benefit someone and malign some other person.

Just as you can accuse Ekwueme and co for pursuing a personal agenda, you can also accuse Uwechue of pursuing his own personal agenda which could include bribery.

So lets not mudsling because if we do, we all loose. Let us debate the merits and demerits of each decisions.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Onlytruth(m): 4:50am On Nov 21, 2010
mikeansy:

Onlytruth

with what Guage do you determine who is taking his positions for personal reasons and who is taking his for group reasons?

who is to say Uwechue's decisions can not be for personal reasons?

I have argued this severally, whatever political decisions you make. It will benefit someone and malign some other person.

Just as you can accuse Ekwueme and co for pursuing a personal agenda, you can also accuse Uwechue of pursuing his own personal agenda which could include bribery.

So lets not mudsling because if we do, we all loose. Let us debate the merits and demerits of each decisions.

I agree that we should debate the issues, but some things are easily identifiable in those issues.

For instance, you say that Uwechue could have been bribed; what makes you think that Nnamani, Ekwueme and Solude are not being "bribed" too?   In fact, I've told you this before, these PDP operatives have FAR MORE openings for being bribed than Uwechue and Ohanaeze. Jonathan is a sitting president remember? He has a lot of carrots in his kitty, especially PDP carrots.

I somehow believe that it is easier to bribe PDP members than a non-member. Again, other Igbo bodies have fallen behind Ohanaeze, meaning that the endorsement is non-partisan.  All Governors of the south east (including Peter Obi) endorsed Ohanaeze's position.

It was Bill Clinton who said that "if you find a tortoise on top of a wall, chances are that it didn't get there on its own".

This endorsement will follow Jonathan even if he loses PDP primaries and is adopted by another party. So that is the big picture. Trying to reduce it to PDP will make you lose the main point of this endorsement.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Nobody: 5:28am On Nov 21, 2010
I have told you what I have told you, anybody can be accused of bribe or any ulterior motive. Let us debate the merits of the issues.

This is how they accused Ojukwu of bribe for simply saying that he likes IBB because he has a sense of humour.

Now you want to accuse Soludo and Ekwueme for personal agenda because they do not agree with Uwechue.

We all have right to form our own views without being accused of having clandestine motive, that is what I need you to understand.

You are simply joining the band wagon of people who accuse anybody who does not support Jonathan of one thing or the other.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Blazay(m): 6:00am On Nov 21, 2010
Should we say the North and the West(Mr. and Mrs. with bonafide marriage certificate in holy matrimony and native laws/customary marital rites of passage) VS. the South and the East(Boyfriend and Girlfriend without engagement ring any time in the future?).

, And the winner is?
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by marcdunu: 7:38am On Nov 21, 2010
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Onlytruth(m): 8:52am On Nov 21, 2010
marcdunu:

@ . . . Onlytruth

Ndigbo do not owe Ijaws any appologies. If anything they should appologies to us for betraying us just so they can claim our abondoned properties.

But they have not. So what is the basis of you new found unity?

Look, several times, the Yoruba have attempted to form a common front with Ndigbo. In spite of their ignoble role in Biafra, we have given them audience and voted twice for them. If we can do that for a people we share almost nothing with, we should do even more for those we share a region with.

I happen to come from a school of political thought which sees Nigeria as the one of 1966 -North, West, Mid-West and East.

If you look carefully, that structure is the most viable structure and have been used to share political things such as states and offices.
Obasanjo wanted to pick someone from the old East to succeed him. He and his northern allies could not trust Ndigbo, but they knew that an Easterner should succeed the North. So, they picked Jonathan. The plan was for Yar adua to serve two terms and hand over to Jonathan for another two terms. That is the REAL TRUTH all thanks to Obasanjo and his northern allies.

If they couldn't pick an Igbo man/woman to run with Yar adua as VP, what makes you think they would hand over to an Igbo in 2015?

I have carefully followed utterances from northerners and they all hinted the same thing. They would complete their term and hand over to a South southerner. Mind you that this can be any one from South south (from Cross river to Edo).

Jonathan is an ACT OF GOD. I have always known that the South south creation is a way to undermine Eastern Nigeria. If that is not the case, why are both the North and the West intact, but the East is balkanized into a mythical South east and South south?

Jonathan understood these things hence his letter to Ndigbo. He is our opportunity to beat the northerner in his games against the East and Ndigbo.

I want an Eastern Nigeria that can compete with the North and the West in terms of coordinated and integrated development as one geo-economic region. I want the South East to become an industrial hub with the ports in Calabar and Port Harcourt handling exports from the East. And so on and many more. . .

All these begin with sharing a common political destiny. Jonathan is an opportunity to lay that foundation.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Onlytruth(m): 9:03am On Nov 21, 2010
mikeansy:

I have told you what I have told you, anybody can be accused of bribe or any ulterior motive. Let us debate the merits of the issues.

This is how they accused Ojukwu of bribe for simply saying that he likes IBB because he has a sense of humour.

Now you want to accuse Soludo and Ekwueme for personal agenda because they do not agree with Uwechue.

We all have right to form our own views without being accused of having clandestine motive, that is what I need you to understand.

You are simply joining the band wagon of people who accuse anybody who does not support Jonathan of one thing or the other.

Believe me the problem I have with you and people who share your views is that you are not strategic thinkers.
Apart from a promise of Igbo president in 2015 (which I think is fake) you have nothing else to show for us to believe that supporting a northerner over Jonathan is a better move.
If you think a little bit, you would see that even if the north support us for 2015 presidency, they would likely insist on a candidate of their choice, like they did with Obasanjo in the turn of Yorubas. I can assure you that is not what Ndigbo needs. undecided undecided
We want far more than just a figure head president who would do northern bidding over Eastern or Igbo prerogatives. We simply need a base, a real base with clout. After building that base, we can confidently walk up the the rest of Nigeria and present one of us as president to them. They would trust us then because they would have seen what we did with our own region.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by vicenzo(m): 11:03am On Nov 21, 2010
It is annoying when people fault ohanaeze for endorsing GEJ,ohanaeze took that decision after wide consultation with various igbo groups,no igboman unless one with personal interest wil fault ohanaeze on this decision.Go to the streets of onitsha,awka,enugu,abakaliki,umuahia,owerri and other southeastern cities and towns and u wil know that almost every igboman wants GEJ.Ndi igbo has realised that the 2015 igbo presidency promise by the north is not real and even if it is,it is no substitute for eastern unity which GEJ represents.Like i have always said,no one, igbo and non igbo can claim to know what is better for ndi igbo than OHANAEZE.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by aljharem(m): 11:10am On Nov 21, 2010
Onlytruth:

Look, several times, the Yoruba have attempted to form a common front with Ndigbo. In spite of their ignoble role in Biafra, we have given them audience and voted twice for them. If we can do that for a people we share almost nothing with, we should do even more for those we share a region with.

I happen to come from a school of political thought which sees Nigeria as the one of 1966 -North, West, Mid-West and East.

If you look carefully, that structure is the most viable structure and have been used to share political things such as states and offices.
Obasanjo wanted to pick someone from the old East to succeed him. He and his northern allies could not trust Ndigbo, but they knew that an Easterner should succeed the North. So, they picked Jonathan. The plan was for Yar adua to serve two terms and hand over to Jonathan for another two terms. That is the REAL TRUTH all thanks to Obasanjo and his northern allies.

If they couldn't pick an Igbo man/woman to run with Yar adua as VP, what makes you think they would hand over to an Igbo in 2015?

I have carefully followed utterances from northerners and they all hinted the same thing. They would complete their term and hand over to a South southerner. Mind you that this can be any one from South south (from Cross river to Edo).

Jonathan is an ACT OF GOD. I have always known that the South south creation is a way to undermine Eastern Nigeria. I[b]f that is not the case, why are both the North and the West intact, but the East is balkanized into a mythical South east and South south?
[/b]
Jonathan understood these things hence his letter to Ndigbo. He is our opportunity to beat the northerner in his games against the East and Ndigbo.

I want an Eastern Nigeria that can compete with the North and the West in terms of coordinated and integrated development as one geo-economic region. I want the South East to become an industrial hub with the ports in Calabar and Port Harcourt handling exports from the East. And so on and many more. . .

All these begin with sharing a common political destiny. Jonathan is an opportunity to lay that foundation.

@ bolded, u are perfectly right

but, it the igbos and ijaws that caused it for themselves
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by TORDOO(m): 11:48am On Nov 21, 2010
These igbo people ar not united,wel sory to say, is ohaneze not igbo but, ?
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by houvest: 1:13pm On Nov 21, 2010
vicenzo:

It is annoying when people fault ohanaeze for endorsing GEJ,ohanaeze took that decision after wide consultation with various igbo groups,no igboman unless one with personal interest wil fault ohanaeze on this decision.Go to the streets of onitsha,awka,enugu,abakaliki,umuahia,owerri and other southeastern cities and towns and u wil know that almost every igboman wants GEJ.Ndi igbo has realised that the 2015 igbo presidency promise by the north is not real and even if it is,it is no substitute for eastern unity which GEJ represents.Like i have always said,no one, igbo and non igbo can claim to know what is better for ndi igbo than OHANAEZE.

So Profound.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by okstol: 1:52pm On Nov 21, 2010
@Jason12345, dude please, don't mention Orji Uzor Kalu,s name when the forum is discussing serious issue concerning Ndi-Igbo.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by houvest: 1:58pm On Nov 21, 2010
Onlytruth:

Jonathan is an ACT OF GOD. I have always known that the South south creation is a way to undermine Eastern Nigeria. If that is not the case, why are both the North and the West intact, but the East is balkanized into a mythical South east and South south?

Onlytruth:

Believe me the problem I have with you and people who share your views is that you are not strategic thinkers.
Apart from a promise of Igbo president in 2015 (which I think is fake) you have nothing else to show for us to believe that supporting a northerner over Jonathan is a better move.
If you think a little bit, you would see that even if the north support us for 2015 presidency, they would likely insist on a candidate of their choice, like they did with Obasanjo in the turn of Yorubas. I can assure you that is not what Ndigbo needs. undecided undecided
We want far more than just a figure head president who would do northern bidding over Eastern or Igbo prerogatives. We simply need a base, a real base with clout. After building that base, we can confidently walk up the the rest of Nigeria and present one of us as president to them. They would trust us then because they would have seen what we did with our own region.

Onlytruth:

Believe me, that bolded part is the ultimate truth.

Since the "Eyo Ita incidence" of the 50s, the north had lied against Ndigbo saying that we undermine our minority neighbors. From that era, these minorities have voted northern candidates. It has remain so even till now. Only this time, God is involved and that God has decided to right the wrongs and stop the lies.

Now, Jonathan found himself (not through any fault of his) as the country's president.
The north wanted to leap frog Ndigbo and that is how Jonathan became the VP. Well, Jonathan being a good son of his father, understood that Nigeria cannot move forward with the type of anti-Igbo games going on. So, he wrote to Ndigbo in 2006 pouring his heart out and sought our support to help him secure Eastern interests.

Today, we are responding to that call and it is making some people uncomfortable. I wonder why. undecided undecided
Just yesterday, some of them started to say that Jonathan is "unelectable" because of his minority Ijaw tribe. Well, if that is true, why did you pick him in the first place ahead of someone from a majority tribe? What games are you playing? You thought he could never develop the balls to go for the real thing?

Anyway, Ndigbo are trying the bury the "Eyo Ita demon" once and for all.

After next year, no one will accuse us of bullying our minority neighbors.

Brother you seem to be expressing just my thots. See  below some of my write ups on this matter so far.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by houvest: 1:59pm On Nov 21, 2010
Posted Oct 17.

First of all historically, Ohaneze has never, to my knowledge endorsed any candidate above others as they have always acted as an umbrella for all Igbos and Igbo friends that are running so the veracity of this report needs to be ascertained.If however it is true, it means that they are emerging from the cocoon of a laidback leadership to a more assertive one. Part of me prefers the old order lest they commit themselves to a loser but the other part says, WTH, Principles should come first even if you lose but I know that in Nigerian politics the principled guy most times is seen as the fool so why not let an umbrella socio-cultural body remain neutral while politicians and political groups keep playing the partisan card. Time will tell on what is the best approach.

Secondly the reasons given for coming out on GEJ's side are consistent with Ohaneze's stand over the years for a president of SE extraction modified later to SE and SS to balance the power sharing equation in the Nation and the position they canvassed at Abacha's constitutional conference for power rotation along geopolitical lines not between North and South. The fact that PDP came to adopt the Northern view in their constitution should not make Ohaneze jettison their stance.

Thirdly Ohaneze on their website as far back as when GEJ was the VP mentioned his name among the list of Igbos for special mention ie they saw him as Igbo. But for me the best candidate and an even better Igbo representation in the race is PU but I doubt if he has the political sagacity to beat an incumbent GEJ or deadly IBB or slimy Atiku or bullish Buhari but I think his time will come. For now GEJ who is more like the one eyed man in the land of the blind presidential runners in PDP.

I have no doubt in my mind that GEJ will sweep Igbo votes. It is only some Igbo elite, politicians and generally the older generation that associate GEJ with bitter past experiences of Ijaw subterfuge personified in Clark and hasty verdicts of inept performance. The youths and the common man on the street in Igboland will root for Ebele Azikiwe more than a certain Ribadu or Babangida ,etc. Igbo votes are Jonathan's to lose. Granted votes will be shared in each zone by all candidates but I am talking of the majority votes. GEJ is gradually developing in political sagacity and politese ( If there is any word like that) and will only lose Igbo votes if he commits very serious blunders against Ndigbo in this run up to the polls. His body language so far despite his few missteps does not show one with the disposition of committing an october faux pa ( as the Americans will say ) against Ndigbo. His youth, electronic and other 21st cy approaches to politics and governance portray him as being intellectually savvy lending him to easy kinship with the youths and young at heart and also his story of grass to grace when linked to his name adds an element of sentimentality and myth slightly comparable to the Obama myth that draws sympathy and goodwill from the neutral, unencumbered, uncensored, uninitiated and unprejudiced. If these positive capitals can be cashed at the polls barring voter apathy especially among the youths, the windfall will purchase a shocking electoral landslide in Igboland and beyond, assuming that franchise is upheld to the letter. This endorsement if true will add to that momentum.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by houvest: 2:01pm On Nov 21, 2010
Posted on Nov 12

An interesting perspective but a bit simplistic and ( with all due respect) naive in a game as complex as politics where ulterior motives and very long term permutations by power hungry folks or zones would easily torpedo such a noble disposition. The foundations of zoning, the unconstitutionality thereof, the sincerity and fidelity of the parties involved, the spirit of it and not the letter, the temptation on those who have benefitted from it to renege either by accident or design (coups, assassinations, force majeure) all need to be brought into the calculation to obtain the alchemy of reason why it should be dispensed wit.

You appear to have so much faith in the sincerety of the North WRT zoning If IBB was in GEJ's position, the man with the unending transition, would he just step aside without testing his popularity at the polls, a constitutionally assured right? Would he not invoke the party provisions that allow the man in power to seek re-nomination as long as he is constitutionally permitted? Abeg talk some as the Ghanaians would say. By now the mantra from most of the North would have been 'it is the will of Allah'. Now fatalism is not acceptable.

You might say that they rotated power to the south instead of allowing Abubakar to continue. Everyone
knows that at that time, military rule had become globally despicable and any one holding unto power militarily was on his own. Again at whose expense was power rotated to the south? It was still at the expense of the south definitely not the North. Alex Ekwueme was on a roller coaster to clinch power as Abacha had decimated most of the strong poltical juggernauts in the country by death, imprisonment or exile . It would perhaps have been a battle royale between Ekwueme and Ige/Falae. No Northern political heavy was in sight and IBB would have been so odious had he come out then. More odious than now. Those figures were all unnacceptable to him and his constituency so he played a fast one killing 4 birds with one stone.

1/ Play the south against themselves as before and deny the SE power as a continuation of the civil war.
2/Pay lip service to assuaging the SW and Nadeco on June12 and Abiola by foisting on them a candidate he believed would not rock the boat.
3/ Appear generous to the South by rotating power to them when actually the election was theirs to lose. All these three were to lead up to the season finale,
4/ Reposition and take back power to the North through himself after 8 years of the token given to the south.

Of course against his expectation OBJ rocked the both and thwarted this by foisting his own man on the North, someone IBB would not morally contest against and then
God took over and the rest is the history he is trying so had to rewrite.

I have always maintained that IMO IBB, and most of the core North, is not sincere about power rotation . If so they would have constrained Abubakar to include it in the 1999 constitution as, I gather, Abacha wanted to before his demise. Nothing would have stopped them. If so all these arguments now for or against zoning would have been moot. Ohaneze has seen through all this to come to the conclusion they reached after their consultations. Of course I know there are many fair minded Northerners. To them I apologise if they feel I have been too hard at my analysis of the Northern Power mongery. However they will agree with me that there are Northern folks who think that they own Nigeria, the way Tompolo says he owns MEND, and parcel out power to whom and when and to the tune they want. They must be stopped before they disintegrate Nigeria. This is a time they must pull back and allow Jonathan. It is the will of Allah. Ta ta
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by houvest: 2:03pm On Nov 21, 2010
Posted Nov 14

I agree with you here but do not agree that they trump Igbo presidency. i would rather say that those and a few others will pave way for Igbo Presidency in the near future.

Beside all those, supporting Jonathan is a matter of principle. Ohaneze has always believed in power rotation among the zones and not between North and South till all zones benefit therefrom. So I do not understand why some folks here see this endorsement as against power rotation. It is just against the type of power rotation that the North wants but promotes the type the Ohaneze has always advocated. It is unfortunate that some posters here do not see this stand on principle and are only talking about political gains of the endorsement for the Igbo. I believe the political gains are needed but principles must be stood up for no matter who eventually wins. Even if Jonathan eventually loses ( which is quite improbable) as people are scared of, It is better to stand for the principles of rotating power among the zones than between North and South if the question of power rotation is to address the lopsidedness of power sharing so far in the Nations history. This matter which nearly torpedoed the 1994 constitutional conference was heatedly discussed to a stalemate. Why would Ohaneze today come and support a principle it has always fought against. The only way Ohaneze could have supported zoning between North and South was if it were enshrined in the constitution. But the North and IBB was in the best position than any other section to, but did not, push for this under A. Abubakar that gave us the present constitution who incidentally was an IBB boy. If they had, even if it was the North/South variation, The whole country would have really seen them as sincere to share power given the Aburi and June 12 experiences. Ohaneze could then have surrendered their principle even if temporarily to the constitution. But the situation is such that zoning as is adopted by PDP is quite amorphous, not well articulated with timelines vis-a-vis zones and allows lacunnae that led to the present seeming impasse.Above all, the unconstitututionality of zoning makes it a tool that can be discarded any day by those who dont need it any more and puts the whole gargantum of adherence on the sincerety of parties which in the Nigerian experience is nothing to write home about.

I believe that Ohaneze by this endoresement has scored many points.
1/ Stood boldly by their principle( without any equivocation) even if their man loses.
2/Garnered respect as a principled body that you can deal with without a long spoon since you know where they will always stand.
3/ Assured the minority groups that they can give way to them even though they represent a majority tribe thereby debunking myths of a domineering tribe crafted by other parts of Nigeria to drive the knife between the Igbo and their immediate neigbours before, during and after the civil war using the Eyo Itta/ Zik case as an exagerated example.
4/Will go a long way in restoring Igbo/ Ijaw relations that were shattered by the events of the civil war and beyond.
5/ Puts them on a moral highground by showing that Ndigbo are not vindictive and can forgive and accomodate a wayward neigbhour and effectively gives the Ijaw a long rope to reciprocate or not in future. This can provide the required momentum for the Igbo to complete the job of forgiving all other groups in the Nigerian Nation, a huge albatross that is better gotten rid off to increase their already forward momentum in National and international prominence.
6/ Makes a strong case for restructuring the Nation and for an Igbo president in the near future.
7/ Helps give GEJ a very strong home base and will discourage anybody from trifling with him as he will not only have to contend with the Ijaws but also their Igbo neigbours,etc.

is the prerogative of a leader to lead and of a follower to follow. No one can be coerced to do either. But the fact is that NDIGBO NEEDS STRONG LEADERSHIP NOW AND OHANEZE IS PROVIDING THAT.
A wise, vissionary and charismatic leadership will certainly take Ndigbo to their rightful place in the 21st century Nigeria, Africa and in the comity of Nations.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by houvest: 2:06pm On Nov 21, 2010
Beside these , I have South/South friends among whom many have realized the folly of working against the Igbo and are calling for a raproachment between the two. Many of my friends say the same of their South south friends and some say that even the militants aproached them in those heydays seeking igbo support saying they had realized the folly of their parents and know now that they cannot do it alone.
see this recent Quote from Asari Dokubo.

That is the best decision that we (Igbo) have made. I said we Igbo because I can conveniently say I am 40 per cent Igbo, 60 per cent Ijaw. The founder of the house on the stool I sit is an Igbo man from Abom in Abam in Abia State. So, for me, it is the best decision. For the first time in so many years, we are now; the Igbo and other people, of the south is coming together. I feel very sorry for people like Odumegwu Ojukwu.

My family supported Biafra. My grand uncle, King Fredrick Princewill Amakiri, VIII abdicated the throne of Kalabari because of his support for Biafra. My grandmother was almost executed by firing squad due to her ardent support for Biafra. .My family supported Biafra and I have support for Biafra, This is the first time the Igbo, as the senior brother of other nationalities in the old Eastern region, have taken a decisive step, to bring all of us together to fight a common cause. And I think it is the best decision they have ever taken
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by Abagworo(m): 2:06pm On Nov 21, 2010
Ohaneze is a socio-cultural group and is also not a PDP group.PDP is yet to determine their candidate and we are yet to read the manifesto of the eventual candidates from the various political parties.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by houvest: 2:11pm On Nov 21, 2010
As for Mikeansy and other neutral and uninfluenced/-able Igbos, they will come round. However. I disagree with the word 'plot against North'. I just think that Ohaneze should not go to sleep now. They still need to reach out actively to the other regional groups in the North and South especially to seek support for GEJ now and an Igbo presidency after him whether it is 2015 or 2019 with  their variation of rotational presidency as per Zones . They should try and lead in a negotiation between North and South to break the current impasse by arguing persuasively for all to support  their agenda for the sake of fairness in power-sharing and not on any concocted and artificial North South rotation. I believe that Uwechue with his long years in diplomacy and journalism, and his team, has the sagacity to pull it of.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by amingafar(m): 2:26pm On Nov 21, 2010
Blazay:

Should we say the North and the West(Mr. and Mrs. with bonafide marriage certificate in holy matrimony and native laws/customary marital rites of passage) VS. the South and the East(Boyfriend and Girlfriend without engagement ring any time in the future?).

, And the winner is?

the marriage is between SE and North when push comes to shove the SE stand a better chance at supporting the north.
Southwest will ultimately revert backto their regional politics not thinking how it concerns the rest of the country.

SW will always vote for a SW person over East or north.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by ChinenyeN(m): 2:58pm On Nov 21, 2010
vicenzo:

You sound like a devout, and that's annoying. Anyway, the below is where/why/how people are faulting your organization, since you don't seem bright enough to have taken notice, on your own.

Abagworo:

Ohaneze is a socio-cultural group [. . .]

ChinenyeN:

[. . .] when socio-cultural groups mumu-ishly play politics.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by amingafar(m): 3:03pm On Nov 21, 2010
If there is any thing such as Zoning it is between north and south NOT zones. Why should we split ourselves even more.

If Jonathan becomes president in 2011 it must comeback to the north than back to the south SE to be exact.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by jason12345: 3:26pm On Nov 21, 2010
okstol:

@Jason12345, dude please, don't mention Orji Uzor Kalu,s name when the forum is discussing serious issue concerning Ndi-Igbo.

no vex, i thought he was politically relevant in the SE grin
amingafar:

the marriage is between SE and North when push comes to shove the SE stand a better chance at supporting the north.
Southwest will ultimately revert backto their regional politics not thinking how it concerns the rest of the country.

SW will always vote for a SW person over East or north.

perfect!

@ topic and onlytruth

you still don't understand the politics. if you have read some of my comments on other thread, you will see that GJ will not win without RIGGING and that is what the Northerners and Swesterners have come to terms with. my reason are

1) the north and middle belt will not vote for GJ whether you like it or not (what unites them is islam and fulani blood that also includes yoruba blood)

2) the SW will not vote for anyone other than their own (they do not care about the country. they are politically independent and OBJ was forced down their throats)

3) now you have only the SS and SE states (i would advice you to exclude ondo and edo states because ACN would win those states), which is a combination of 5 states(se) and i think 3-5 states ( ss). with that number of states, it is impossible to win the election. if you notice, the northerners on this forum have said it time and time again that GJ will rig it if he is to win.

so from a political point of view, the ohanaeze move was a bad one. but from a relationship and cultural point of view, it was a master stroke (assuming they(ss) are not just using Ndigbo votes for more political relevance and independence from the North).

all in all, lets see how 2011 would be like.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by udezue(m): 3:29pm On Nov 21, 2010
Amingafar, naw sorry but u mindless northern parasites can't both ways. You had no problem splitting the East into SS and SE to drive a wedge btwn the two so u can continue to plunder and reap what u never sowed so now u should deal with the fact that since u have the South split into SW, SS and SE all those individual component have to get their turn and share before it ever returns to u desert rats who we all know will do nothing but rubbish whatever that achieved for the betterment of the country by Southern Presidents. Backwardness and failure are talents possessed by core Northerners.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by amingafar(m): 3:34pm On Nov 21, 2010
udezue:

Amingafar, naw sorry but u mindless northern parasites can't both ways. You had no problem splitting the East into SS and SE to drive a wedge btwn the two so u can continue to plunder and reap what u never sowed so now u should deal with the fact that since u have the South split into SW, SS and SE all those individual component have to get their turn and share before it ever returns to u desert rats who we all know will do nothing but rubbish whatever that achieved for the betterment of the country by Southern Presidents. Backwardness and failure are talents possessed by core Northerners.

there are many things I dont agree with in the core north what the core north is in other words hausa fulani. I am for the unity of this country though i will not vote a southern president I am looking for a northern president who will embrace the SE and SS as brothers.

I dont agree with the way Obasanjo split the middle belt from core north and im not happy the way the north split the south. I dont believe in that.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by TheClown: 3:35pm On Nov 21, 2010
Amingafar

You must be from Ankpa (Main town or immediate environ), they are the ones that would do anything just to be called hausa even when the hausas would never give a damn about them when it really matters.

The larger Igala people are far from being northerners, they are best called middle belters and they are getting awakened. Gone are the days when everything north is acceptable to them.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by udezue(m): 3:41pm On Nov 21, 2010
Amingafar, ur case is pathetic. An Igala man trying do hard to be a Northerner. Lol there is nothing northern about u except the stupiidity u are displaying for all to see. The Middlebelt needed the split coz they are not core-northern people. If not for the Brits trying to add numbers and land mass for core-north the most parts of Middle especially Benue, Plateau areas should be classfied as southern or eastern.
Re: 2011: Jonathan, Ohanaeze Leaders Plot Against North by amingafar(m): 3:57pm On Nov 21, 2010
The Clown:

Amingafar

You must be from Ankpa (Main town or immediate environ), they are the ones that would do anything just to be called hausa even when the hausas would never give a damn about them when it really matters.

The larger Igala people are far from being northerners, they are best called middle belters and they are getting awakened. Gone are the days when everything north is acceptable to them.

My grandfather is from ankpa while my fathers mother is Owe-fulani from Kabba and my father was raised in Niger state.

so by this it is already hard to see how complicated things are. Its hard for me to indentify with only igala and not have the same views as a muslim northerner who is also mixed with nupe and fulani

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Buhari Defeating Gej On Reno Omokiri's Buildup Nigeria Polls / Military Repel Boko Haram Attacks In Damaturu / I Can't Speak On Buhari's Health - Isaac Adewole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.