Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80932 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 24, 2019
God have blessed the marriage,your Dad have blessed the marriage,me too have blessed the marriage,my friend what are you talking about? She will not leave that man,I am Ibo and know the tradition as well, what God have joined let no man put asunder..
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by emmaattack: 12:11pm On Nov 24, 2019
If this Osu turns to a Dog and follows your sister after the wediing to her husbands house, let your sister sell the Dog and use the proceeds to buy pepper that she can use to robb the eyes of the hidfen Osus'
Yeye de smell.
You guys should grow up....

Let your sister come for my blessings.
Your dad is hero.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by blackbone989(m): 12:13pm On Nov 24, 2019
My cousin married from a family some idiot call OSU. Today he is the most blessed of us all. All those idiot that said shit would happen one of them had a serious health issue it was this OSU doc that saved his life. When Christian mention this OSU I just wish calamities should befall such individual. How can u call the image of God an outcast? Why will u reject who God accept? Where is the foundation of ur Christianity? May God shame the devil in our life's Amen
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

It's the man who was supposed to let her know after like 3 years. Then she could decide if she still wants.

She's now thinking of her age, if she had known initially she would have dumped him which is what the guy was afraid of.

She also should have though of it sha.

yea age ia no more on her side

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by cookiejar99(f): 12:16pm On Nov 24, 2019
Does that make them right?
lilwetdick:

i am sure you will also see someone that will always say africans are primitive

in asia, there is caste systems, i guess it is alright

many europeans and americans are racists, i guess they are not primitive in thinking stupidly

suddenly as an african does similar stuff, all africans are primitive and think stupidly.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by SenecaTheYonger: 12:18pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.

Blessed post

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by akdjr(m): 12:18pm On Nov 24, 2019
I admire the way you educate the guy without insult. Once it is Africa, it is primitive but if it's western world it become worthy of emulation. I saw the other day when Queen of England was making a human sacrifice and I wonder what people we say here if such is done here by an African king.
lilwetdick:

many europeans and americans are racists, i guess they are not primitive in thinking stupidly

suddenly as an african does similar stuff, all africans are primitive and think stupidly.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Thegamingorca(m): 12:20pm On Nov 24, 2019
ornicus:

My colleague had her head shaved.and she was lucky in her own, because she had a very good relationship with her mil who did her best to shield her

It's really not nice...I felt bad for her then. Although later on she started keeping a low afro and the style became a signature for her. I guess it turned out good at the end
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 24, 2019
tchidi066:
Really, this is laughable, i believe op is educated and exposed, why still believe in such barbaric traditions, osu or no osu, if i find my betterhalf, am going ahead. What you should be worried about is how he is gonna treat ur sis in matrimony...mind you i am igbo

I'm not an Ibo, is not about being civilised or not. We came out from a family, the family comes out from a community so it goes on and on. There are somethings/activities you will want to engage without the permission of your parents you wouldn't be able to execute it, some others you will need the approval from your kinsmen.

We all need these people at different stages of life especially if you are from Africa. You have to obey the culture of the land.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Originalsly: 12:21pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

This is tradition... passed down from generation to generation. If your father...who has the say... has cast aside this tradition.... it should be the end of it in your family.... not to be continued. Why are you fighting against your father? What sense does this taboo make? What exactly is wrong with someone being Osu? Is it they naturally carry Ebola virus or something dreadful? What sense does this tradition make?... what purpose it serves? How can you bring yourself to hate someone because he is an Osu? These are questions for you to ask and answer yourself.

Answer this....

[b]Would you or any of your siblings marry a Black American?

Feel free to protect your hypocrisy by pretending not see the question.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by TedLawrence(f): 12:21pm On Nov 24, 2019
Bro... tradition is tradition oooo. all these people ranting here will not be with you when the consequences will start. if you belong to a village, go home and make more enquiries...that's my opinion
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 12:24pm On Nov 24, 2019
cookiejar99:
Does that make them right?

Exactly, Indian caste system is so terrible and people all over the world have been complaining about it since.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by kolade560: 12:27pm On Nov 24, 2019
Your education is useless of you allow tradition and religion deprive you of your interest. Your qualification is useless if you are still tied to traditions and the rest.
I love your sister and your father but I hate u poster for ur shallow thinking.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by chizzyglow: 12:28pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.

Sorry for my bad words but you and your family are all bunch of kill joys acting upon tradition ... if you were racially profiled someday you would all scream foul see if you re really a literate as you would surely claim to be you wouldn't be bothered about this
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by chizzyglow: 12:30pm On Nov 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

And so what but can't you see today the whole world is fighting against it... you and I want racism to be erased
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Prokaryote: 12:31pm On Nov 24, 2019
I wish I can give ur sister a bottle of champaign and sponsor there honey moon to Dubia. U are the selfish one not ur sister,u want to destroy a relationship of 7years because of an outdated culture. AuntyKwantinu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by kutitosin(m): 12:31pm On Nov 24, 2019
OSU in 2019. You must be joking right. If you are serious, then you are a total illiterate.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by liverpool72(m): 12:32pm On Nov 24, 2019
op u are even Osu for coming to report this matter here therefore we go after u.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Enemyofpeace: 12:35pm On Nov 24, 2019
You guys in the east called yourselves Christians, some of you are pastors, you read your bible(I don't think so), you receive holy communion, yet you so much believe in this rubbish you called osu. Why then do you go to church and what did you learn from Bible? I won't be surprised if I get to heaven and I do not see most of you there.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by chizzyglow: 12:35pm On Nov 24, 2019
rex444:
without culture and tradition,what are we? I am not here to criticize but whoever wishes to know better can feel free to ask me.....young man what your sister is going into believe me can be disastrous.....our ancestors are still wide awake
Shut the Bleep ....
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Enemyofpeace: 12:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
kutitosin:
OSU in 2019. You must be joking right. If you are serious, then you are a total illiterate.
he is walahi
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Enemyofpeace: 12:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
rex444:
[s]without culture and tradition,what are we? I am not here to criticize but whoever wishes to know better can feel free to ask me.....young man what your sister is going into believe me can be disastrous.....our ancestors are still wide awake[/s]
bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by kenan619: 12:37pm On Nov 24, 2019
I have been rolling on the floor
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by buzzcypha(m): 12:38pm On Nov 24, 2019
Oga sir, so after all the great talk from our fellow naira landers on the matter, your heart is still blindfolded, you are still saying the guy is at fault
midnighter:

Exactly. That's the other side of it. But she couldn't have known it would come to this and it's been 7 years already

It's actually the guy that was supposed to tell her he was an osu once he realised it was getting serious but he would be worried that it would scare her away.

He is at fault for withholding important information
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by dochenaj: 12:40pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

If you are a Christian, the Bible does supersede the tradition of your forebears and community.

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:26‭-‬28 KJV

The only taboo would be if your sister wanted to get married to an unbeliever.

Now if you're not a Christian, then you should be very very worried about your sister's choice but then it is her life. And I bless the wisdom of your father, he has insight.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Evangkatsoulis: 12:40pm On Nov 24, 2019
Supernatural28:
I support your sister, I love her courageous and brave heart. Come to think of it, why would u and you, your siblings and family members still have such local and outdated mentally huh?
I hope you an educated person and you're a Christian? If yes why are u and your family acting like local champions? For goodness sake we are in the 21th century and the thing osu no longer exist okay. It is dead and gone. So you and your entire familymembers should stop these premitive way of thinking.
The osu is dead and gone? Who kill am?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by chizzyglow: 12:41pm On Nov 24, 2019
pickatyou:
Truth be told your sister is a selfish bastard.

And all of you saying otherwise I believe you are not Igbo or ignorant, I guess if you family member brought an OSU u will welcome them along with all the curses they will bring.
Then you could all happily hug an Ebola victim instead of quarantining them.
That's what an OSU is in spiritual form, am Ebola victim.

Don't quote me if you are not Igbo.

You re mad I'm an igbo and I'll quote you you bastard no human being deserves to be treated like a slave after what blacks have been through and is still going through.
Lol quarantine them omg which kind illiterate be this one
You and and your generation will be quarantine and treated like slaves
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 12:45pm On Nov 24, 2019
buzzcypha:
Oga sir, so after all the great talk from our fellow naira landers on the matter, your heart is still blindfolded, you are still saying the guy is at fault

If he knew he had that issue and neglected to tell her then he is partly to blame for the current situation.

Anybody who has an issue should be forthcoming about it and let their partner make an informed decision about whether or not they wish to continue with the relationship

Have you read "No longer at ease" by Chinua Achebe? The guy wanted to marry his friend and the lady began crying and told him she was an osu.

That book was written in the year of our independence when this osu stuff was even worse than it is now so the guy has no excuse for deceiving OPs sister until she was getting old and other suitors were thin on the ground.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by chizzyglow: 12:49pm On Nov 24, 2019
pickatyou:

My sister ignorance is what they have.
Funny enough I am not a superstitious person or even too religious, but being from mbaise I have watch how it manifested on a family and eliminated them all because they got greedy and married a rich OSU, even the innocent children where not spared.

Sorry for your self
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by chizzyglow: 12:54pm On Nov 24, 2019
akdjr:
I admire the way you educate the guy without insult. Once it is Africa, it is primitive but if it's western world it become worthy of emulation. I saw the other day when Queen of England was making a human sacrifice and I wonder what people we say here if such is done here by an African king.
Lol human sacrifice you re so foolish ... everyone is abolishing slavery and racism even the western world no body is accepting it
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 12:54pm On Nov 24, 2019
dangoteinlaw:
Help me understand something, if no one in ibo land associates with the so called osu then how did they procreate this current linage?

They marry amongst themselves

Or they go and marry outside of their community where it's not practiced or where people don't know them
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Sweeetheart(m): 12:54pm On Nov 24, 2019
even a lady make use of her common sense than a man

Ode something. osu ma gbuo gi there

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply)

See The Doggie Pre-Wedding Pictures That Got People Talking / UNILAG Runs Girl - By Umari Ayim (Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) / Lady In Wheelchair Weds In Abuja. Her Bridal Train Also In Wheelchairs (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.