Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,189 members, 7,835,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (81007 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 24, 2019
deenee:

GOD will bless and favour you and your family in so many ways that you can't even comprehend.

Thank you. I wish the same for you.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by king1234: 2:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
pickatyou:
Truth be told your sister is a selfish bastard.

And all of you saying otherwise I believe you are not Igbo or ignorant, I guess if you family member brought an OSU u will welcome them along with all the curses they will bring.
Then you could all happily hug an Ebola victim instead of quarantining them.
That's what an OSU is in spiritual form, am Ebola victim.

Don't quote me if you are not Igbo.

i am ibo and all you have said is rubbish
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
Kenturkey048:
May God bless you abundantly this Sunday morning for this your comment...

Thank you. May God bless you too.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
Odunharry:

God bless you for this

And you.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 24, 2019
queenitee:

I love you for this comment

smiley
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 24, 2019
chizzyglow:

Sorry for my bad words but you and your family are all bunch of kill joys acting upon tradition ... if you were racially profiled someday you would all scream foul see if you re really a literate as you would surely claim to be you wouldn't be bothered about this

What is this one saying?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 24, 2019
eguarojeona:
OSU?
And you will marry same whites who carried as slaves abroad.Please yourskyisblue...

These whites are dead by now. Welcome to the 21st century.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 24, 2019
And after you will call your self a Christian,when actually your bible says"in Christ Jesus,there is neither Jew nor gentle,ALL are ONE"
YOUR SISTER IS THE REAL MVP
God never created any Outcast
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 24, 2019
chizzyglow:

You re mad I'm an igbo and I'll quote you you bastard no human being deserves to be treated like a slave after what blacks have been through and is still going through.
Lol quarantine them omg which kind illiterate be this one
You and and your generation will be quarantine and treated like slaves

Yawns.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by 1Sharon(f): 2:11pm On Nov 24, 2019
EgusiShankly:
good to know others can see through the nonsense happening here

it's the habit of the owner of this forum and his mods to create/sponsor fictional/controversial stories solely to drive/attract audience. you will find alot of such threads in romance section ...

Romance section ?? Lol, I have not been on there in years. 95% of the stories there are fakeee, all for attention.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by hermesprogidy(m): 2:27pm On Nov 24, 2019
And one wonders why Nigeria is so freaking backward undecided
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 24, 2019
tchidi066:
Really, this is laughable, i believe op is educated and exposed, why still believe in such barbaric traditions, osu or no osu, if i find my betterhalf, am going ahead. What you should be worried about is how he is gonna treat ur sis in matrimony...mind you i am igbo

Are you from the yeast?
Since I'm not from the Yeast, I have to respect OP tradition and belief system. We from the Waste also have such similar barriers....ijebu person cannot marry Ondo person.... Abeokuta person is afraid of ijebu person... let's respect the tradition and landmark of our elders.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by dangoteinlaw: 2:34pm On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

They marry amongst themselves

Or they go and marry outside of their community where it's not practiced or where people don't know them

lmao so the ppl who married them outside the community did something awful happen to them grin grin
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Addy003(m): 2:34pm On Nov 24, 2019
Complete bullcrap!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by ufotty2001: 2:35pm On Nov 24, 2019
Op!!! Less expected the reply he/she is getting..
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Angelacruz: 2:40pm On Nov 24, 2019
Old tradition
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Web4life(m): 2:43pm On Nov 24, 2019
Osu is a term used by many parts of Igbo land to refer to a person who is the property of a deity either directly or through his ancestors who were also properties of a deity/Oracle.

WAYS PEOPLE BECOME OSU

1. People become Osu when they run to a deity's shrine to seek for refuge from aggressors or pursuers or enemies who want to immediately kill them.
Once they go to the deity for refuge, they declare their willingness to become the deity's property in return for refuge and protection by the deity.
Once a person gives himself over to a deity as an Osu, NO Man dates harm them and whoever does will incur the wrath of that deity which owns the osu.

2. Another way a person becomes an Osu is if he or his ancestor was offered to a deity as a living sacrifice or gift.

Once a person becomes an Osu, his decendants and properties automatically becomes the property of the deity and anybody who harms them will face the wrath of the deity.

NB- Osu is different from Ohu/Oru. While Osu simply means a bondman of a deity, Ohu/Oru simply means a Slave.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Obdk: 2:44pm On Nov 24, 2019
Afonjas on d beat
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Solidkay(m): 2:45pm On Nov 24, 2019
For you to have been able to type this means you're reasonably educated,
But my dear OP,
"YOU'RE AND EDUCATED ILLITERATE, Living in stone age.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by aalangel(f): 2:46pm On Nov 24, 2019
What exactly is osu? Is it animals that gave birth to them??

My Mom's brother married a so called Osu like 20 years ago. They're still living together with 3 kids all professionals...one is even a Pharmacist.

So please what stigma are we tAlking about?? Please stop embarrassing the Ibos.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Zivaharry(m): 2:47pm On Nov 24, 2019
If Davido or Dangote son come to marry your sister, would your people say no?, even if they were Osu's.......one thing about this shit, is that the enemies will use this platform or opportunity to strike, knowing fully well that the people will believe it's OSU that caused whatever evil that happened to your family......bro be wise.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by TheMostComplex1: 2:55pm On Nov 24, 2019
I have some childhood friends that people refer to Osu family. And I feel for them and wish this Osu caste system can be eradicated but from what I have seen over the years they are still discriminated against . I wish I have the strength to site many examples I know of.

I won't like to marry an Osu and none of my family members will do cos if you marry one now cos of love in the future when your kids are discriminated against especially when they want to settle down they will hate you so much especially when you are a none Osu but you are married to an Osu.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AngelicBeing: 2:55pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.
Gbam

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Boyooosa(m): 2:59pm On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

It's a type of punishment to discourage people from committing crimes. Your children inherit your crimes.

At least if you know that your family will suffer the consequences of your actions hundreds of years from now, you might consider that before doing the wrong thing.

We don't know what his ancestor may have done but it was sufficient to warrant being dedicated to the shrine of the gods.

Alternatively some of them were just unlucky prisoners of war who were captured by a nearby clan or village. They were slaves

An outcast/slave (osu/ohu) can't marry or lead a meeting for a freeborn (diala) otherwise you have violated the land (ala) and you will bring curses upon yourself and your family
Thank you, so if u intend to cleanse the CURSE or undo the ban before marriage, how do they go about it?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by joshrare(m): 2:59pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.

And you are a hero too, for speaking freely.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by TheMostComplex1: 2:59pm On Nov 24, 2019
aalangel:
What exactly is osu? Is it animals that gave birth to them??

My Mom's brother married a so called Osu like 20 years ago. They're still living together with 3 kids all professionals...one is even a Pharmacist.

So please what stigma are we tAlking about?? Please stop embarrassing the Ibos.

Some say they bring bad luck but I don't think they are harbingers of bad luck. But the challenge is people accepting their children for marriage in the future

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by zyzxx(m): 2:59pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

osu? In this century? Give her another husband, go and try relationship of just 3 and half years that you have invested in and someone should tell you osu that u should leave the girl, try it if u won't regret it... Please don't subject yourself under bondage which you are not subjected too
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Boyooosa(m): 3:00pm On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

It's a type of punishment to discourage people from committing crimes. Your children inherit your crimes.

At least if you know that your family will suffer the consequences of your actions hundreds of years from now, you might consider that before doing the wrong thing.

We don't know what his ancestor may have done but it was sufficient to warrant being dedicated to the shrine of the gods.

Alternatively some of them were just unlucky prisoners of war who were captured by a nearby clan or village. They were slaves

An outcast/slave (osu/ohu) can't marry or lead a meeting for a freeborn (diala) otherwise you have violated the land (ala) and you will bring curses upon yourself and your family
Thank you, so if u intend to cleanse the CURSE or undo/lift the ban before marriage, how do they go about it?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by joshrare(m): 3:00pm On Nov 24, 2019
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.
bad guy there! very on point
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Tellemall: 3:02pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:

Look who is talking about stigma. grin So you have no problem a group of people is stigmatized (osu) as long as it is not your family? See see ..

Are you looking at it sentimentally or based on facts? I don't understand your caste systems, but with the facts outlined here and from a previous thread, I can tell that there's no point in marrying such a person, whether you have billions or not, because the stigma will go onto unwilling family members who were born "free". Why subject them to that if not for selfish "love"?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Ndkings1(m): 3:02pm On Nov 24, 2019
what is osu please.

it is very unreasonable of you to try to talk a lady in her thirties to give up on marrying the love of her for nonsense, antiquated and outdated tradition and superstitoins.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AreaFada2: 3:04pm On Nov 24, 2019
Op, I get you point. We cannot help the tradition we are born into.

But listen. A few centuries back majority of people below the class of my family in pour patch of this world were basically our serfs. Not slaves but people served us various capacities. We were not allowed to marry them. We rather married from other tribes' royalty and aristocracy than marry our people of class.

At some point our ancestor made a proclamation that there should be no more discrimination when it comes to marriage.
This was both common sense and practicality.

Our daughters were going into totally alien cultures far away in name of marrying into the right class and we were marrying women from faraway with no knowledge of our culture or mores.

Now we are in the 21st century. The obis, igwes, Igbo socio-cultural groups and politicians need to look into this osu issue.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply)

Sex Tips: How To Lose Your Virginity Without Pain (girls) / When A Guy Passes By, What Do Girls Look At? / Canadian Lady With Huge Chest Claps Back At Those Who Asked Her To Wear Bra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.