Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,408 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80849 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Galaticos444: 8:15am On Nov 24, 2019
@op am very sure is ur mum that's instigating all dis shit.igbo mothers ar extremist wen it comes to tradition undecided

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by shogsman(m): 8:15am On Nov 24, 2019
Mtchewwwww here I thought it was a dare situation that required immediate attention,OSU KO EKSU NI.at this time and age you’re still clinging to superstitions like anything.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by sageer1706(m): 8:15am On Nov 24, 2019
Kudos to that ur sister I really love he fighting spirit and as for ur dad h deserve some accolades (for putting his daughter happiness first) and as for u op, u better change ur mind set because u are a very selfish dude.

6 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Odingo1: 8:16am On Nov 24, 2019
There is nothing like this in Anambra State, I don’t know of other eastern states. Imo state have refuse to move on with modern time and are bent on osu issues

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by anonymous96: 8:16am On Nov 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

i am sure you will also see someone that will always say africans are primitive

in asia, there is caste systems, i guess it is alright

many europeans and americans are racists, i guess they are not primitive in thinking stupidly

suddenly as an african does similar stuff, all africans are primitive and think stupidly.
Anyone who feels superior to another b/c of a caste system is primitive
Anyone who feels superior to another b/c of race is primitive
Anyone who feels their sister shldnt get married to the love of their life b/c of a superstitious belief is primitive..
There;problem solved!!

4 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by marwanafrica: 8:16am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

You can read and write yet u still believe in OSU, i think you are osued yourself

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by tutudesz: 8:16am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

You don't want anything that will affect YOU abi? If the guy was a billionaire will you be saying this? Guy you are self-centered simple.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Soulsymbol99: 8:16am On Nov 24, 2019
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.

The ancestor part got me grin but seriously, r people still talking about OSU ? undecided

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 24, 2019
lipsrsealed
Well as pathetic as your story sounds.... I seem only to be interested in the 7 year relationship.
Who does that, 7 years?
This story does seem like a Sly dig tho.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by sunkoye: 8:17am On Nov 24, 2019
Must you guys attend her wedding. How easy is it to discontinue like that. Biko leave the girl jare.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Frankyboy1(m): 8:17am On Nov 24, 2019
tchidi066:
Really, this is laughable, i believe op is educated and exposed, why still believe in such barbaric traditions, osu or no osu, if i find my betterhalf, am going ahead. What you should be worried about is how he is gonna treat ur sis in matrimony...mind you i am igbo

Look no further! I am rit here, beckoning, come angel
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Leebeedo(m): 8:17am On Nov 24, 2019
You guys are crazy in your family, except your dad and sister of course. As for you, pack your stuffs, go live with the chief priest(dibia) in your village, since you love tradition a lot .....idiot!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Ovoko30: 8:17am On Nov 24, 2019
This is the most nonsense rubbish i have heard in 2019. If your sister's hisband becomes the governor of your state, will you still associate with the so called osu. What kind of derogatory name to call someone created by God. When God created the world, did he separate some people and tagged them as osu. Better stop that rubbish before the wrought of God comes on you guys tagging God's creation as osu. #Thankyou

TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by symbianDON(m): 8:17am On Nov 24, 2019
tchidi066:
Really, this is laughable, i believe op is educated and exposed, why still believe in such barbaric traditions, osu or no osu, if i find my betterhalf, am going ahead. What you should be worried about is how he is gonna treat ur sis in matrimony...mind you i am igbo
I doubt it. op CAN'T be 'educated and exposed' and still wallow in this quagmire of superfluous ridiculousness!! op behave yourself if not.....

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by etrange: 8:18am On Nov 24, 2019
Your story is obviously cooked up. You just want to scratch the Osu topic for fun. It's even possible you're not Igbo. You're still talking about Osu in 2019? Even if that was to be a problem, are you saying your sister has been in a relationship for almost a decade and your parents had to wait till the man proposed before attempting to know where he's from?

Osu kor Adeleke ni

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 24, 2019
mancheeutd:
So in the end nobody can explain in detailed to us what OSU is for some of us that want to learn
In the days of backwardness and cavemanship(not sure if this is a word I made it upgrin) families were dedicated to gods of the land so these people were seen as outcasts and they could never marry anyone that isn't an osu, people thought them as never do wells for no just reason, I'm not really sure but I remember seeing this in a book based on this biased way of thinking. They were even sent into the bush to live.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by divinevie(m): 8:18am On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.
No be only Osu na Osun....rubbish!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by TAO11(f): 8:18am On Nov 24, 2019
cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by SSAwhistleblowe: 8:18am On Nov 24, 2019
Biko does this osu thing still exist It’s days to year 2020 o some people need to grow with the times biko lol

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Mires: 8:19am On Nov 24, 2019
Mr man rush and wed first before your sister since you are thinking of yourself.

6 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Memyselfu2009(m): 8:19am On Nov 24, 2019
Since your family is now an Osu Biko if you have any pretty and beautiful sister I don’t mind getting marry to an OSU RUBBISH TRADITION

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Lexusgs430: 8:19am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

When would this oṣù madness end? This tradition was imposed by humans....... It would take humans to end this nonsense...........
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by healthserve(m): 8:19am On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.

.hahahahaha what a satirical calm response cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by SmileDance(f): 8:19am On Nov 24, 2019
OP please which century are you from? Your father has given his blessings and you are here talking about OSU? Okay o I won't be harsh, but do you know how many ministers, professors, pastors etc that are said to be osu? Are their families also outcast? Chai!

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by dangoteinlaw: 8:19am On Nov 24, 2019
Help me understand something, if no one in ibo land associates with the so called osu then how did they procreate this current linage?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Sterope(f): 8:20am On Nov 24, 2019
Culture and traditions are dynamic. They evolve as we human evolve, the Osu system is incompatible with 21st century culture.

Your ancestors are DEAD. Tiny beautiful worms are feeding/fee on their rotten carcass. If they were religious, they are probably being tortured for being engaging in harmful and cruel practices against fellow humans.

rex444:
without culture and tradition,what are we? I am not here to criticize but whoever wishes to know better can feel free to ask me.....young man what your sister is going into believe me can be disastrous.....our ancestors are still wide awake

5 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by mauchiz: 8:20am On Nov 24, 2019
Anonymous29:
have always heard 'osu' even in movies. But I have never come to understand it. Please what makes one an osu?

A family dedicated to an idol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by mudiana(m): 8:20am On Nov 24, 2019
I heard they stopped that OSU shit. Is ur OSU a different one? I don't think ur god's knows wat u re talking about. Ur god's is more updated than u. U re old school.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by franchasng: 8:20am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

You are a foolish Igbo boy! One of the few foolish Igbo boys disgracing the great Igbo tribe, you are a disgrace to Igbo tribe.

What gave you the efontry to bring this your stupidity to Nairaland Foolish boy angry angry

Are you not aware that Osu caste system in Igbo land has been abolished by traditional rulers in Igbo land

Osu caste is now part of the dark history of the Igbo tribe, it does not exist anymore, free your enlightened, brave sister and go back to your cave little foolish boy angry angry

6 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by GerogeI(m): 8:20am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Wake up bro, it's 2020 already, not 1805.
Osu was a tag used by the wealthy to socially tie down their slaves. If you subscribe to slavery, then OSU should mean something to you. Your father has seen the light. Someone has to break the taboo at some point anyway.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Mitocyan: 8:20am On Nov 24, 2019
Mscheew. OSU ko, Laspotech nii. I know if the guy in question was a billionaire no one in your family would raised an eye brow. Smh
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Joystark(f): 8:21am On Nov 24, 2019
I don't want to believe this story is real.

Nonsense OP

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Canadian Lady With Huge Chest Claps Back At Those Who Asked Her To Wear Bra / Man Kneels To Propose To His Big Girlfriend. (Photos) / Michael B. Jordan Is People's Sexiest Man Alive

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.