Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80824 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by ultimatekint(m): 3:04pm On Nov 24, 2019
It is quite unimaginable how some ppl make use of their brain in this modern time. Anyway, I give credit to your father, since he doesn't want your sister to remain single at 35yrs, please let her go.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by airbrush: 3:06pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Osu in the year of our LORD 2019

una get time oooo

abeg anybody with better 10 odd please send to me !
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by great664(m): 3:06pm On Nov 24, 2019
chidiebereuzoma:

Hi name sake,
Is that you on your dp?

No it's her spirit
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Frankel7(m): 3:08pm On Nov 24, 2019
The Osu caste system has been abolished in igbo land. There is nothing like Osu for the last four years now, if am not mistaken.

Be guided accordingly.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Clinghton: 3:13pm On Nov 24, 2019
As Christian's the old has passed away, follow your and let it strengthen your love
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by tejiri4(m): 3:19pm On Nov 24, 2019
Let ur sister be happy and you too look for your husband n leave this osu mata who e epp
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by akdjr(m): 3:21pm On Nov 24, 2019
Why do you have to insult me for making a comment? You can as well respond without insult. I am not supporting it but only make reference to it. Here is the picture and u can as well Google it. quote author=chizzyglow post=84320695]
Lol human sacrifice you re so foolish ... everyone is abolishing slavery and racism even the western world no body is accepting it[/quote]

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by subcbouy: 3:23pm On Nov 24, 2019
All diz shit diz shit dat still practice ogini diz ogini dat, may tradition- omenale.

I wish your sista happy marriage life to full blown OSU confirm

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Analysiscorner: 3:34pm On Nov 24, 2019
Please, osu does not translate to 'outcast'. It rather means 'deity protected ones'.
When the tradition was still pure, for her to have sexual relationship with the said osu, she automatically becomes one. The society of those days were actually careful when it comes to sexual partner. Unless you can prove that your sister has not had sexual relationship with him, she is already one with him.
I assume that you are Christians. While being from a family of a people who are deity protected is something that the man will have a lot of battles to be free of, let the Holy spirit guide you when it comes to the choice of your own spouse. Can a child of God come from a family of osu? Yes.
What about your own concern regarding your own marriage? Let the Holy spirit guide you. If it means marrying another lady from osu family, let it be so.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Duru009(m): 3:37pm On Nov 24, 2019
Your sister is the Real MVP !!

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by stevups(m): 3:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
Osu means a month in Yoruba. Congratulations to your sister because she will be better off.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by itzemar(m): 3:43pm On Nov 24, 2019
Op, don't worry.
When it's your turn, just look for an 'osu' to marry too since the people in your village don't want to have sense so.
angry

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by ogawisdom(m): 3:43pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Your sister deserves a national award, she is a heroine.

Who talks about osu in 2019, we are all made from God n OSU system ended with our forefathers

Sorry to say this but u are a complete goat

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Legendguru: 3:44pm On Nov 24, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by OgbeniDawodu: 3:51pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Judge people based on their Character, behaviour and ideologies.
You have nothing to worry about if u feel the guy really loves your sister and your family. Caste system should be a thing of the past

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Emyben(m): 4:01pm On Nov 24, 2019
Until a serious human right lawyer reading this now files a complaint against your family. That is when you and your family will understand that it's a criminal offense to think and act as you are doing now.

Ọsụ has been banned in the whole Eastern region where it is practiced.
It is now a crime to even call someone an Osu.

Better, respect yourself and live your life normally.
Osu caste system is abolished and NON EXISTENT!

4 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Timoleon(m): 4:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
That you found a thing through google does not automatically make it a fact.
The picture is photoshopped the one blog that talks about it makes a joke of it.

Read my signature..
akdjr:
Why do you have to insult me for making a comment? You can as well respond without insult. I am not supporting it but only make reference to it. Here is the picture and u can as well Google it. quote author=chizzyglow post=84320695]
Lol human sacrifice you re so foolish ... everyone is abolishing slavery and racism even the western world no body is accepting it
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by akdjr(m): 4:12pm On Nov 24, 2019
So the royal verified handle is also fake right? is quote author=Timoleon post=84325276]That you found a thing through google does not automatically make it a fact.
The picture is photoshopped the one blog that talks about it makes a joke of it.

Read my signature..[/quote]
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Timoleon(m): 4:14pm On Nov 24, 2019
Where is the verified royal handle you speak of,
akdjr:
So the royal verified handle is also fake right? is quote author=Timoleon post=84325276]That you found a thing through google does not automatically make it a fact.

Read my signature..
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Patooz: 4:23pm On Nov 24, 2019
The gods have even repented and you guys are still leaving in the past, the osu name might be a stigma though, the world have gone beyond that
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by PURITYAUTOZ: 4:26pm On Nov 24, 2019
Ndi Imo State tufiakwa in 2019 people are still doing this osu thing

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Onyi90(m): 4:31pm On Nov 24, 2019
OP u are u seriously unbelievably a disappointment
Take it for disturbing our space

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by NomzyJust(m): 4:32pm On Nov 24, 2019
op! op! op!. How may times did I call you? If you know what's good for you and your family, you had better take this post down and pretend you never typed it. And we will pretend we never even saw it. Or else civil society groups will come for your family and village, and local government.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 4:33pm On Nov 24, 2019
Boyooosa:

Thank you, so if u intend to cleanse the CURSE or undo/lift the ban before marriage, how do they go about it?

That's the point of the thread, you can't remove it.

The stain is on your lineage for eternity, that's why OP is getting worried.

Personally I think to offset the implications (if there are any), the person can be prayerful about it so that the spirit the land doesn't come up to bite them.

But I don't honestly think anything happens except that your family name becomes tainted and you are not able to undertake certain traditional rites
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by cicikhemy(f): 4:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.
grin
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by PreyingMantis(m): 4:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.
I'm 100% sure you're reporting from the South-West. If that girl makes the mistake of going ahead with that marriage, it is over for the family. She has succeeded in dragging all of the family into the Osu Caste system. No matter how liberal and religious we try to be, the Osu Caste system isn't going away anytime soon. Marry an Osu and become an Osu. It is what it is

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by BlackPantherCri: 4:46pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

In 2019, you are still worried about Osu and outcast. You are a cave man.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by lekhad: 4:55pm On Nov 24, 2019
Osu self no get time coz it is finding ways to level up in using social media grin
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Jepee(f): 5:02pm On Nov 24, 2019
Chai! Christianity has not entered your village. Osu at this era? You most have come from E - - gu state.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

i am sure you will also see someone that will always say africans are primitive

in asia, there is caste systems, i guess it is alright

many europeans and americans are racists, i guess they are not primitive in thinking stupidly

suddenly as an african does similar stuff, all africans are primitive and think stupidly.
Who said American and European racists are not stupid? Of course they are. But the igbos who discriminate against their kind in promotion of a fúcking obsolete tradition are definitely stupider.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Bonapart(m): 5:16pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

in this 21st century? Osu indeed. Rubbish

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Canadian Lady With Huge Chest Claps Back At Those Who Asked Her To Wear Bra / Michael B. Jordan Is People's Sexiest Man Alive / Man Kneels To Propose To His Big Girlfriend. (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.