Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80881 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Kennyswagzz: 10:14am On Nov 24, 2019
AmuDimpka:
. And Yoruba a treachery tribe as fani kayde made us to know ....idiot
Which treachery? Dont you know that FFK is a biafran?..
I repeat, a cursed tribe
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Easier07: 10:14am On Nov 24, 2019
Asquare84:
I think I heard that this osu cast have been prohibited in Ibo land, my friend you're a Christian please don't discriminate against anyone

[color=#990000][/color]
Even if he is not a Christian common sense should have helped him better.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 10:16am On Nov 24, 2019
Tellemall:

He mentioned that the stigma will extend to him. So because of her love choices, he and the rest of the family should be branded as outcasts, too?

People need to think of the extent of their choices. It's like choosing to marry a person with a contagious incurable disease, will that be a perfect option for a person who wants lifelong partnership? If not, find someone else. Same with this tradition. Why bring stigma to your whole family, why not adjust?

Exactly. That's the other side of it. But she couldn't have known it would come to this and it's been 7 years already

It's actually the guy that was supposed to tell her he was an osu once he realised it was getting serious but he would be worried that it would scare her away.

He is at fault for withholding important information
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AmuDimpka: 10:16am On Nov 24, 2019
Kennyswagzz:
Which treachery? Dont you know that FFK is a biafran?..
I repeat, a cursed tribe

Treacherous is the meaning of the name ...fani kayode said that ..
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by pocohantas(f): 10:16am On Nov 24, 2019
Kennyswagzz:
are you not igbo? Why are you insulting your people

I didn't insult them. I said they have some backward traditions.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by efeski(m): 10:18am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Op sounds like a selfish tribalist resistant to change.
Op sounds like she's gonna readily sacrifice her twins to aleku & amadioha in the evil forest in 2023 of her osu priest says so

Op you need Jesus

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AmuDimpka: 10:18am On Nov 24, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

Ok. What is the history behind the osu? And how do the "kings" have power to abolish a spiritual tradition?

OSU didn't come from heaven . The king's made it and the king's can unmake it.. and they did

This is one reason that I would jeopardise Biafra struggle...they are deceiving themselves

Ndị nzuzu ...igbo na ezuzu ezuzu big time

Tufiakwa

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by EasternPrince: 10:18am On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

Exactly. That's the other side of it

As if you know what you are talking about

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Legalese(m): 10:19am On Nov 24, 2019
Apart from your dad and sister, you guys are swimming in a large pool if ignorance.
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Kennyswagzz: 10:19am On Nov 24, 2019
AmuDimpka:

Treacherous is the meaning of the name ...fani kayode said that ..
who is fani kayode?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by MrFly(m): 10:19am On Nov 24, 2019
it is u that is against ur sisters happiness that is an Osu. My dear go ahead and marry whoever makes u happy. Osu ma ass
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Kennyswagzz: 10:19am On Nov 24, 2019
pocohantas:

I didn't insult them. I said they have some backward traditions.
OK
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by EasternPrince: 10:20am On Nov 24, 2019
AmuDimpka:

OSU didn't come from heaven . The king's made it and the king's can unmake it.. and they did

This is one reason that I would jeopardise Biafra struggle...they are deceiving themselves

Tufiakwa

Not so easy. The gods backed the kings.... so they say and people fear the gods well.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Kennyswagzz: 10:21am On Nov 24, 2019
AmuDimpka:

Tufiakwa
are you not a biafran again?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 24, 2019
franchasng:
First, there is nothing like Osu family in my book and in the book of my family...we are enlightened, I have never for once believed in that nonsense bullshyyt called Osu caste system....its only for foolish tribalistic herbalist like the op that uphold it.

Do you know how many of the so called Osu people that are Governors, Ministers, Senators, MDs, CEOs, why did they rose to those heights if they are a taboo Use your head, stop allowing useless traditions to limit your progress in life, free your mind, damn those that hold on to those foolish traditional beliefs like Osu caste because it is bullshyyyt!!

If it wasn't still an issue in Igboland threads like this won't keep popping up regularly on Nairaland. It is easy to stand up for an ideal online and firm knight in shining armour. Traditions die hard. And from my past encounters with Igbos offline, the Osu thing is still a real thing.

I don't support caste systems of any kind, Lord knows we don't have any in Yorubaland, but I do know that some of my acquaintances who are of the Osu stock married from other ethnic groups. It sure isn't a coincidence, is it?

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 10:23am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

You have a great elder sister, she should be your role model, emancipate yourself from mental slavery.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by smyo(m): 10:23am On Nov 24, 2019
You are very timid to my own understanding, are you feeding more than the OSU's or richer than them, tell me the difference you have or where u are better than osu. I cry for some fools in this life sha.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Femeto: 10:24am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Bros this Osu people no be people go marry them.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by chival(f): 10:24am On Nov 24, 2019
I admire your sister's courage. You are the selfish one. Your dad also has my admiration.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by donpedro11(m): 10:24am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

You daddy has proven he is a 21st century man and grown in wisdom, now am confused if you are truely is son, because like seriously Man you are lost

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Femeto: 10:26am On Nov 24, 2019
Osu kor OOU ni.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Ewedegubbler: 10:26am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Go to hell with that your Osu nonsense. i guess you are from those bush part of imo stake like Ekwe and co. Osu caste system has been outlawed in igbo land since 1957 but hopeless backward minded fools like your backward community wont let go of such prehistoric barbaric nonsense.

Your sister is a hero and should be be celebrated for standing up you savages...

Amadioha magbukwa gi na that osu nonsense... afo sagbuo gi there

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AmuDimpka: 10:27am On Nov 24, 2019
Kennyswagzz:
are you not a biafran again?

I am Igbo and have never been a Biafran ...not with such a backward mindset

Lord forbid
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by leighcon(m): 10:28am On Nov 24, 2019
You have not told anybody what danger is in this, except for people also seeing you as OSU. Na wa for una.

It's your choice to be stuck with what makes no sense anyway.

TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by degamemaster(m): 10:28am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

I wish I can see your sister and give her a chilled bottle of maltina to drink and your dad, a bottle of origin too. Why on earth should you and kind be a barrier to somebody's happiness all in the name of a tradition? Look, I'm a 100 percent Igbo man and I'm very sure that Igbo elders and all men good will have come out together to denounce and abolish this osu thing. So why are you trying to continue it?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by LANDLORD72: 10:29am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

You are mad 21 century still thinking with your Anus.God created everyone equals
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Jfyzee: 10:29am On Nov 24, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

Who abolished the tradition? And what authority does the person have?

Why don't you ask google and find the answer you seek.. undecided
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Samuels90: 10:29am On Nov 24, 2019
[quote author=Sterope post=84314321]Culture and traditions are dynamic. They evolve as we human evolve, the Osu system is incompatible with 21st century culture.

Your ancestors are DEAD. Tiny beautiful worms are feeding/fee on their rotten carcass. If they were religious, they are probably being tortured for being engaging in harmful and cruel practices against fellow humans.

[/quot D They are being tortured.... No b lie sterope.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Melkilala: 10:29am On Nov 24, 2019
I would have said you are stupid...but let me not, since i do not know your background well. Saying you are Igbo means you must have heard of Christianity. Listen! The way you are sounding shows you are scared already, and you should actually be, cos any man not rooted in Christ is still at the mercies of those demons that brought about OSU. Leave people that are telling you this is 2020, demons don't know that one...they are there to hold their ground. Better run and hold God very well. You sister that is going into it strongly is even better than you, this is because our human faith atimes keep this devils away. Be strong!!!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Kennyswagzz: 10:30am On Nov 24, 2019
AmuDimpka:

I am Igbo and have never been a Biafran ...not with such a backward mindset

Lord forbid
but I thought you guys were the black jews..grin;Dthe most progressive, intelligent, highest IQ than the white man like your people say here daily.grin and I thought your brothers always say biafra wil be developed than America in 2yrs once achieved gringrin
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 10:31am On Nov 24, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (21) (Reply)

Man Kneels To Propose To His Big Girlfriend. (Photos) / Canadian Lady With Huge Chest Claps Back At Those Who Asked Her To Wear Bra / Michael B. Jordan Is People's Sexiest Man Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.