Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,996 members, 7,835,337 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80999 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by dochenaj: 9:26pm On Nov 24, 2019
akdjr:
I admire the way you educate the guy without insult. Once it is Africa, it is primitive but if it's western world it become worthy of emulation. I saw the other day when Queen of England was making a human sacrifice and I wonder what people we say here if such is done here by an African king.
Where did you see the Queen of England do a human sacrifice?

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by odikomo1(m): 9:58pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.

God bless you. This tradition devotees were in church today. What a world of hypocrisy. Have they forgotten so soon what apostle Paul said about discrimination Galatians 3:28

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by odikomo1(m): 10:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
bluefilm:
Osu issue no be small pikin matter o!

Warn you sister to retrace her steps before she falls into this bottomless pit that is already ahead of her.

Gospel of fear and mediocrity will take us nowhere in Africa
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by odikomo1(m): 10:06pm On Nov 24, 2019
McTobe:
allow your sister to follow her heart, you should be worried about yourself and not her. No human is lesser a human than the other. What is Osu, in birth all men are equal in death all men are alike. If I have my way I will donate towards their wedding.

Thank you. Please tell OP to reopen her Bible she brought from church, if she's a Christian o Galatians 3:28

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Doktajay5: 10:09pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Sincerely if u r close to me, I would have given u a very hot, dirty slap for all these rubbish u wrote here.....

At this age, a young girl like u, could come here and be ranting, spewing this shit about osu cast... I mean, which cave did u crawl out from.?...

What exactly do u mean?? That a lady in her 30s should leave a man she has dated all 7yrs for something as useless and as fictitious as osu cast?? Even ur father gave her blessings, an old man ooooh, but you, a young lady who exposure, modernisation, and Christianity should have help to wipe off such shity believe in your coconut head, u r still holding onto it. Shame on u.... Keep fooling yourself.

Even ur ancestors have moved on, but u refused to do same...

See ur mouth.... According to tradition... Which dirty tradition? Who's giving u that story... U simply deserve 24 strokes of koboko...

Taa gbaba ohia osiso.. who blessing Aby or presence epp?... Mtcheww..

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 10:32pm On Nov 24, 2019
greatbrian:

One last thing, what z ur take on it and do you believe in it

I think its an unfair cultural practice that doesn't have a place in today's society. Especially as its not the fault of today's generation what their ancestor might have done hundreds of years back.

And plus we are supposed to be Christians, this kind of thing is supposed to be struck off our agenda as "old things have passed away".

But at the same time, to an extent it was a form of traditional law enforcement for our ancestors.

At least the threat of messing up your lineage was enough to keep some bad elements in check. Now that everybody is no longer afraid you can see that people have taken it as licence to commit atrocities without reproach.

I'm not sure if I believe in it because it's not practised in my place so I don't have any experience of it. But we do have some osu in the next town who come to perform some traditional rites according to the deity they were dedicated to.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by odikomo1(m): 10:38pm On Nov 24, 2019
PreyingMantis:
I'm 100% sure you're reporting from the South-West. If that girl makes the mistake of going ahead with that marriage, it is over for the family. She has succeeded in dragging all of the family into the Osu Caste system. No matter how liberal and religious we try to be, the Osu Caste system isn't going away anytime soon. Marry an Osu and become an Osu. It is what it is

It won't go away, as long as people like you keep saying it, believing it and passing the negativity to innocent children, who will also become old men and women spreading the fear. Mental slavery!

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by odikomo1(m): 10:45pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Galatians 3:28
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Doktajay5: 10:46pm On Nov 24, 2019
PreyingMantis:
I'm 100% sure you're reporting from the South-West. If that girl makes the mistake of going ahead with that marriage, it is over for the family. She has succeeded in dragging all of the family into the Osu Caste system. No matter how liberal and religious we try to be, the Osu Caste system isn't going away anytime soon. Marry an Osu and become an Osu. It is what it is

U r spewing nonsense.. U r talking rubbish... Is. People like you that will live a slave for the rest of your life...

What do understand by the osu cast system in the first place... Mtcheww.. U don't deserve a schooling on this...

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by odikomo1(m): 10:52pm On Nov 24, 2019
emddi:
And after you will call your self a Christian,when actually your bible says"in Christ Jesus,there is neither Jew nor gentle,ALL are ONE"
YOUR SISTER IS THE REAL MVP
God never created any Outcast

Bless u! Show her Galatians 3:28
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by odikomo1(m): 10:57pm On Nov 24, 2019
Gforce2015:

Are you from the yeast?
Since I'm not from the Yeast, I have to respect OP tradition and belief system. We from the Waste also have such similar barriers....ijebu person cannot marry Ondo person.... Abeokuta person is afraid of ijebu person... let's respect the tradition and landmark of our elders.

Landmark of our elders is backwardness and more backwardness also known as backwardness again( mental slavery)
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Boyooosa(m): 11:54pm On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

It doesn't exist in my place either. Yes it's original sin from ancestors.

It has to do with his life because it may affect his own marriage in future if he becomes an osu because of his sister
The reason he needs to pray, so as to clear all doubts but I'm still struggling to believe the theory...
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Ken4agent(m): 12:59am On Nov 25, 2019
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.

D most hillsrious comment for d day in my opinion�������� laugh won kee person

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by tammie24: 1:10am On Nov 25, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.
Jesu!!!

See likes

You made sense

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by nuelyoyo(m): 1:38am On Nov 25, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Nigeria needs more people like your sister to break away from the shackles of some traditions.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by DrHighchief(m): 1:56am On Nov 25, 2019
Your sister should be given national honours. At this age, we are still talking about outdated things.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by ABOVEDELAW: 3:36am On Nov 25, 2019
THE WHITE MEN DID NOT STEAL GODS, THEY STOLE ARTIFACTS WHICH SOME DUMMIES MISTAKEN FOR GODS.
eleojo23:
OP, sorry but I support your father and sister 100%!

If you guys are Christians or enlightened/educated individuals, I am surprised that you still take the osu thing seriously.

What you do not believe has little power over you.
For instance, white men entered shrines and stole the gods and took them to Europe for museum display yet they did not die.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by 9jaRealist: 4:02am On Nov 25, 2019
Rasmega:
Africans and their stupid primitive thinking.

Edit: Some people haff quoted me, giving reasons and some countries where caste system, racism is still in practice.

For me, I don't care bout others. We need to start changing the way we think. Some archaic traditions needs to be dropped and stopped.

I suspect that almost everyone else is on the same side of the discourse as you...
Any blow-back you are getting is restricted to the DUMBNESS of the highlighted.

>
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by bluefilm: 7:28am On Nov 25, 2019
odikomo1:

Gospel of fear and mediocrity will take us nowhere in Africa

Where you wan go before?

You wan begin develop nuclear weapons or you wan begin go moon abi na wetin?

Guy, believe it or not, Das ist Afrika!!!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 25, 2019
akunjohn:

"You can also build beautiful things out of stones that get in your way" - Johann Wolfgang Goethe. grin

Wenn. du. Respekt. verlangst. bekommst. du. ihn, wenn. nicht. verlierst. du. ihn. grin
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Kakamorufu(m): 7:33am On Nov 25, 2019
OSU na person wey no be igbo undecided
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by akmath: 7:57am On Nov 25, 2019
OP you are not a real niggarrr.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by RillJ(m): 8:05am On Nov 25, 2019
How do I get the details of the scheduled wedding? The Hero of your sister deserves all the supports she can get.

Wishing them blissful wedlock already

**May Amadioha (since they tend to bliv such) wrought her anger on any person(s) who may want to hide under the trump-up osu sacrilege to do the couple any harm.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by mapet: 8:09am On Nov 25, 2019
Mindfulness:

Need I say more?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 25, 2019
tchidi066:

Who else
Okay cutie, I sent a pm already. Do well to reply
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Ogegod87: 9:52am On Nov 25, 2019
Heartbender:
Take down this iniquitous post. You are boldly worried about an illegality. If the authorities see this your family can get into big trouble. Take it down before a criminal prosecution begin against your family

OP, take this advice serious.
Osu caste system has been abolished very recently. Don't get your family into trouble.
Your sister has found love, you should pray, encourage and support her. Bleep OSU. E nor help anybody.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Adaego5(f): 9:54am On Nov 25, 2019
lol, you must be from Imo state

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by EasternPrince: 10:39am On Nov 25, 2019
midnighter:

It doesn't exist in my place either. Yes it's original sin from ancestors.

It has to do with his life because it may affect his own marriage in future if he becomes an osu because of his sister

Very useless theory you got there, babe, but then you are just an ignorant woman pretending to know things. So if my sister is fool enough to run off with an Osu man that makes me and my parents and other siblings osu?

You are not igbo, try not to involve yourself in the affairs of my people as if you are one of us.

Laughing in French.

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Systrom(m): 10:59am On Nov 25, 2019
dangoteinlaw:
Help me understand something, if no one in ibo land associates with the so called osu then how did they procreate this current linage?
They procreate by marrying other Osus.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by IForgotMyLoginD(f): 11:54am On Nov 25, 2019
Really? In this time and age?

TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Ghokes(m): 12:03pm On Nov 25, 2019
This is hate speech
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by blueghost(m): 1:32pm On Nov 25, 2019
some Traditions need to be ambolish same way thekilling of twins was abolished

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Coping With A Spouse With High Sex Drive / Sex Tips: How To Lose Your Virginity Without Pain (girls) / When A Guy Passes By, What Do Girls Look At?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.