Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,200 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80917 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 24, 2019
rex444:
without culture and tradition,what are we? I am not here to criticize but whoever wishes to know better can feel free to ask me.....young man what your sister is going into believe me can be disastrous.....our ancestors are still wide awake
pls what's an osu
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 24, 2019
If this so called Osu, is spreading $100 along the road, Is it allowed for Nwadiala to pick as much as he or she can?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by johnsonaigbokie(m): 5:30pm On Nov 24, 2019
Osu in this age of modernisation and Christianity? I salute your sister for the great and bold step. Pray God to bless her new home
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by gofnor(m): 5:37pm On Nov 24, 2019
What is osu? What is out cast?
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by bluefilm: 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
Osu issue no be small pikin matter o!

Warn you sister to retrace her steps before she falls into this bottomless pit that is already ahead of her.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 5:43pm On Nov 24, 2019
dangoteinlaw:
lmao so the ppl who married them outside the community did something awful happen to them grin grin

I haven't heard of anything like that but maybe it has happened and that's what everybody is afraid of
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by McTobe(m): 5:53pm On Nov 24, 2019
allow your sister to follow her heart, you should be worried about yourself and not her. No human is lesser a human than the other. What is Osu, in birth all men are equal in death all men are alike. If I have my way I will donate towards their wedding.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by henzy4life: 5:54pm On Nov 24, 2019
[Hahahahaha,laff don kill me.
quote author=LadySarah post=84307383]When you say swear by Amadioha,they will say they are xtains.Oya love your neighboyr as yourself,you say ur fellow human being is an outcast.
Is it not the bible that said''thou shall not call anything unclean.''
I wish the guy don give your sis belle so you guys will do ur worst!
O ginidi?[/quote]
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by REDDEVILS1(m): 6:07pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

You are the fool here. Ọsụ gbuo gị there.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Boyooosa(m): 6:19pm On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

That's the point of the thread, you can't remove it.

The stain is on your lineage for eternity, that's why OP is getting worried.

Personally I think to offset the implications (if there are any), the person can be prayerful about it so that the spirit the land doesn't come up to bite them.

But I don't honestly think anything happens except that your family name becomes tainted and you are not able to undertake certain traditional rites
Anyway, I'm not aware of any exists in my place but I think, it's nothing to worry about..
I think it should be considered as orginal sin as in the case of Adam and Eve, the one we are made to believe we inherited before Jesus Christ or Muhammad came around, so prayer as suggested will help and the larger part of my heart says, it doesn't have anything to do with the o.o and his family's life.
Thanks for the elightenment tho.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by jamjo: 6:37pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Your sister is not committing any taboo, we Igbo's all we do is divide ourselves with the nonsense call osu I think it is overdue for legislation in the state assemblies in Igbo land criminalizing calling anyone osu.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Laren24(m): 6:45pm On Nov 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

i am sure you will also see someone that will always say africans are primitive

in asia, there is caste systems, i guess it is alright

many europeans and americans are racists, i guess they are not primitive in thinking stupidly

suddenly as an african does similar stuff, all africans are primitive and think stupidly.
When the world are fighting against discrimination you are saying cause some stupid Asians and Americans are still into discrimination it should be accepted.
You guys should wise up, the world is fighting against discrimination. It's the 21 century.
Say no to discrimination, racism, caste system.
They are barbaric, animalistic and inhumane.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by okoroemeka(m): 6:47pm On Nov 24, 2019
I don't think the op will complain if the osu is dangote or otedolas son
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by folks4luv(f): 6:50pm On Nov 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

many europeans and americans are racists, i guess they are not primitive in thinking stupidly

suddenly as an african does similar stuff, all africans are primitive and think stupidly.
These things are being critisized in those places you mentioned. I'm sure no one is celebrating racism in America. It is not alright there and the caste system is not alright here too

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Alashoalash10: 7:18pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

one of the reason you people are backward ,racism ,tribalism, discrimination etc ,why are IBO's like this ?

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Tizu(m): 7:25pm On Nov 24, 2019
the idiot that wrote this rubbish complaint will go to USA and marry a black American
FOOL
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by mastertunji(m): 7:30pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.

Waoh! The highest number of likes I have seen on Nairaland in recent times.
Over 2 thousand.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by bitingcool: 7:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.

Ancestors are now on 5g.
No time
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by CChine(m): 7:46pm On Nov 24, 2019
This is so so funny, biko let your sister live her life in peace, Osu my foot. kill yourself with depression, i will come to your burial and eat jollof rice. My wife was considered Osu by my village people, here we are today, shes the reason for all my achievements and happiness. Guess what, shes now a medical Doctor.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 7:53pm On Nov 24, 2019
Boyooosa:

Anyway, I'm not aware of any exists in my place but I think, it's nothing to worry about..
I think it should be considered as orginal sin as in the case of Adam and Eve, the one we are made to believe we inherited before Jesus Christ or Muhammad came around, so prayer as suggested will help and the larger part of my heart says, it doesn't have anything to do with the o.o and his family's life.
Thanks for the elightenment tho.

It doesn't exist in my place either. Yes it's original sin from ancestors.

It has to do with his life because it may affect his own marriage in future if he becomes an osu because of his sister
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by samdede(m): 7:57pm On Nov 24, 2019
Super hero she is. She has my blessings as well. Wake up guy, this is 2019!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by rex444(m): 7:57pm On Nov 24, 2019
Welcomme:
You and your ancestors are foolish. Tell your ancestors and gods that they are mad and stupid
don't worry,I understand....buh it's an open topic unless you have a myopic sense of reasoning to comprehend that......
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by rex444(m): 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2019
chizzyglow:

Shut the Bleep ....
isn't it that obvious way way beneath
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by rex444(m): 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2019
Enemyofpeace:
bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
I could agree more if it really was
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by rex444(m): 7:59pm On Nov 24, 2019
JESUSBOIY:
pls what's an osu
have you tried googling?

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by francesawesome(f): 8:01pm On Nov 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

Two wrongs can't make right. Outcast in this generation, I'm so surprised
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by godquality: 8:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
What's this 1896? Or this thread is just trolling
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by adanny01(m): 8:06pm On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Guy, if you think your sister's marriage to an Osu makes you Osu, then you are a confirmed Osu.

If you know you are not an Osu in your heart, no one can make you an Osu in this life or thereafter.

Think like an Osu, you are an Osu!
Think like a King, you are a King!!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Mrhonesty: 8:44pm On Nov 24, 2019
U are your problem and worries. Just give your life to Christ. Your sister is wiser.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by ReeLoaDead(m): 8:50pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.
2000+ likes ... bro, you can collect scholarship with this oh!

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by greatbrian(m): 9:15pm On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

They were convicted of crimes and dedicated to the gods or they were captured as slaves during wars.

According to tradition you can't marry or accept any traditional rites being carried out by a descendant of an osu or you and your own family will also become osu

It's officially been outlawed but still practiced, especially in imo state

One last thing, what z ur take on it and do you believe in it
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Krisddon: 9:18pm On Nov 24, 2019
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.
Diswan off me! grin
You deserve some pizza!

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Inside Abuja Sex Slums, How VIPs Sneak Into Harlots’ Dens To Ease Tensions / This Abuja Babe Is Searching For Guy She Snubbed At Wedding (photo) / See The Doggie Pre-Wedding Pictures That Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.