Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,679 members, 7,809,574 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80771 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by rex444(m): 9:03am On Nov 24, 2019
Sterope:
Culture and traditions are dynamic. They evolve as we human evolve, the Osu system is incompatible with 21st century culture.

Your ancestors are DEAD. Tiny beautiful worms are feeding/fee on their rotten carcass. If they were religious, they are probably being tortured for being engaging in harmful and cruel practices against fellow humans.

what I don't know where it started , I will not be a party to seeing where it ends..... mysterious things do happen but wait for it

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by higgs: 9:04am On Nov 24, 2019
Backward people. What is OSU again? Ohaneze Ndi Igbo had earlier decreed the abominable practice abolished in Igbo land.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Cyynywhite: 9:04am On Nov 24, 2019
love supersedes....
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

i am sure you will also see someone that will always say africans are primitive

in asia, there is caste systems, i guess it is alright

many europeans and americans are racists, i guess they are not primitive in thinking stupidly

suddenly as an african does similar stuff, all africans are primitive and think stupidly.
don't mind those ignoramuses
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by passionate87(m): 9:07am On Nov 24, 2019
bros this OSU mindset shouldn't hold waters this 21st century,please everyone has equal right and freedom.let ur sister marry in peace .
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 24, 2019
Your sister can take care of herself .. Osu doesn't really exist now unlike in the 80s..

Pls ohh I'm Looking for an honest n interested suga mummy pls DM 07019468168
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 9:08am On Nov 24, 2019
buJu234:
OSU only comes in only wen a poor igbo man`s daughter wants to marry in lagos/East

but when a super rich igbo man`s daughter wants to marry in New-york/London (even Lagos) OSU just fly through the window!!!

i believe the fight against corruption should begin with our cultural transformation.

Nah....even if he's rich, the Osu stuff must still come up somewhere.

Many of the high ranking officials in those days were Osu because they were the first to embrace Christianity/white man rule that freed them from their bad condition. So many of them are very well-educated, wealthy and politically connected even more than non-osu (diala)

Though their osu can be covered up for a while somebody will still mention it somehow. They have to marry far away from their village where nobody cares

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Hifeylove: 9:09am On Nov 24, 2019
Osu in this century?? And do traditions like that still exist? Pls nothing will happen to you my dear, let your sister move on with where she will be happy and have a happy home! Osu sef don Dey press laptop �..
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Udyawanga: 9:09am On Nov 24, 2019
Wickedness from immediate family members in this twenty first century. In fact ur sister is a man. I salute her and give her my blessing too. What is OSU in this computer age. I spit for some people that want to use tradition to tarnish d joy of their family members. I also believed if this ur allegation is true, it means that ur are from d remoteness part of this world.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by DNSPro: 9:10am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Leave them alone and let them marry.
I stopped reading when I got to that Osu rubbish. So with all your education, you still believe in this Osu rubbish.

Make I see who tell me that nonsense. I wil ban everyone and get married like that.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by myk2mic: 9:11am On Nov 24, 2019
francis5051:
bro am a confirm igbo man i know about that osu issue it occurred mainly in mbano imo state,there males hardly marry because of that osu problem that's why we have many rev.fathers from mbano, remember even Bible said we should not remove the landmark of the ancestors.your sister stupid love and ignorant is about putting your family and herself into trouble which which she may not come out easily..is beta she remain unmarried than to embark on that married..come to think of it is ur female sister now stronger than you or your father..why will your Dad bless the marriage initially...if your sister is too stubborn then use violence as a man and stop that marriage..I hate nonsense

Hahhahhahhahhha , see one of them, he even went to the Bible to pick a random single verse to support his stupidity. So brother Francis what nd why then did Jesus die for u. As for men from mbano not becoming rev father's , understand this whom God has chosen can never be rejected, but if man chooses you,

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by emonis88: 9:12am On Nov 24, 2019
Man forget that osu thing Jare! Do u still worship gods.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by felixation123(m): 9:12am On Nov 24, 2019
Wane2:
This is my opinion though but Fück your stupid caste system, she should be free to marry anybody, if any problems arise then she'll face it afterall it was her choice, if I Was your sister I would cut ties with such backward family members. You shouldn't be bothered about such things. I don't know why people always see the need to classify people and then hate them for falling into that class. You're black, I hate blacks, You're white I hate whites, You're Igbo I hate Igbos, You're Hausa I hate Hausas, yada yada You're from Kaduna I hate Kaduna, You're Nigerian I hate Nigerians, Fücking stupid every individual is unique if you want to hate, hate that individual don't hate a whole group because of one individual. God I've said too much but it's so annoying seeing people spread hate everywhere. Thank God I grew up in a city where your village classification doesn't matter, be a Prince or be a Pauper nobody will be asking you where you belonged to in your village. If my village had such traditions then I would deliberately find a girl in this class, and give everyone who opposes the middle finger. Emancipate yourself from traditions that discriminate against other people
#Iamfree

Yes tell them brov
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Odunharry(m): 9:13am On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.
God bless you for this

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Sterope(f): 9:13am On Nov 24, 2019
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Realtouchnot: 9:13am On Nov 24, 2019
You need to speak to your family that your sister is making the right decision. The osu cast system is a complete scam. Going by how one becomes osu, you and your parents are osus now.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by einsteine(m): 9:14am On Nov 24, 2019
Same people looking for Biafra are operating a caste system in their small enclave. Lol
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Lexusgs430: 9:14am On Nov 24, 2019
evy800:

It's amazing how we enslave ourselves from different angles and still complain

I believe it's simply another form of indirect slavery........
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by mylander(m): 9:15am On Nov 24, 2019
If an "Osu" man became the President of the country or even Governor of your state would your family pack out of the country/state because they don't want to have anything doing with 'Osu' people?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Shugargal(f): 9:15am On Nov 24, 2019
77up:
nawa o can't you see you are contradicting yourself, you want op to stop osu meaning they should love and continue to marry each other yet you said you can't marry osu.

Am sure many igbos don suffer on this osu hiss sa, wish I can get a link to any story that will explain vividly about this osu origin.
Base on what my friend from Mbaitolu in IMO state told me ,that the osu are children consecrated to their deity many many years ago,that their parents don't get married legally but they just have sex with any man just to bear children and that the thing is now generational and that the children belong to the deity.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by golddare: 9:15am On Nov 24, 2019
Abolition Of Osu Caste System In Nigeria
https://thepointernewsonline.com/?p=51984

Stop limiting yourself, who Osu help? Aim high and be a global phenomenon.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Systrom(m): 9:16am On Nov 24, 2019
Anonymous29:
have always heard 'osu' even in movies. But I have never come to understand it. Please what makes one an osu?
In the olden days in Igbo land. Let’s say for example two villages or towns are fighting a war, the people captured by each village will become slaves and furthermore be dedicated to the gods. That makes them an Osu, or Outcast. Because they are not indigenes of the village that captured them, they are now slaves and properties of the gods.

They cannot marry an indigene of the town, they can only marry within themselves. I.e Another Osu

With time some Osus or their children are freed by their captors and are no longer held as slaves. They are incorporated into the community. They are given the opportunity to go and hustle and become someone in life. Many of them actually hustle hard and make millions and become rich. But that Osu tag is on them and their descendants forever.

You can’t hide or deny that you’re an Osu if you are truly one because the news spreads and parents will tell their children, people will gossip too, so everyone in the village will know.

But nowadays, most Osu families that are rich, most villagers will start associating with them, to get money or whatnot from them. But the villagers will never marry them. Because once you marry an Osu, you become an Osu as well. In fact, everybody in your family will now be regarded as Osu.

It’s really an archaic practice.

E.g In my village, there is an Osu family that is very wealthy with beautiful maidens. They buy lands up and down. A lot of villagers famz them because of their wealth and money. But nobody in the village married any of them. All the males and females married from other neighboring towns where no one knows their history.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by alexvatt(m): 9:17am On Nov 24, 2019
When I say Igbos are the most backward people on earth, and they are the problem of Nigeria, they will not agree. Imagine somebody is talking about OSU in this 21st century. God why did you create black man like this? God shouldn't have created black man in the first place. He wasted his time and energy in creating blacks. So what crime did the said OSU family commited then before they were tagged OSU? lol.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Justluv: 9:17am On Nov 24, 2019
This thread won't exist if the said Osu Man was Dangote's son. Just saying kiss
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Anonymous29: 9:17am On Nov 24, 2019
mauchiz:

A family dedicated to an idol.
really? please can you explain further?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by MrBen619(m): 9:18am On Nov 24, 2019
I can't believe that all these things are still existing in Igbo land.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by ebuzchief(m): 9:19am On Nov 24, 2019
Osu tradition, has been abolished from igboland for sometime now, all the igbos chiefs have gathered together and said no to that.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by slystyle203(m): 9:19am On Nov 24, 2019
Osu outcast system has been abolished. Stop posting rubbish besides u have done a lot of things that is against the tradition and nothing happened, why are u afraid of OSU?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Drizzle007(m): 9:19am On Nov 24, 2019
tchidi066:

Who else

Smh
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by D1zion: 9:19am On Nov 24, 2019
At this jet age. Hmmm,what a nonesence tradition. Not only OSU is ASU.mtchew!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by ezugegere(m): 9:21am On Nov 24, 2019
Your father is more civilised than you. Pathetic

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply)

99.9% Of Ladies Are Guilty Of This Act (photo) / Man Buys Condoms From His Ex-Girlfriend To "Punish Her" / Man Blasts Sexy Slay Queen For Sitting On His Expensive Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.