Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,767 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80857 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Love892(m): 9:21am On Nov 24, 2019
[quote author=francis5051 post=84314847] bro am a confirm igbo man i know about that osu issue it occurred mainly in mbano imo state,there males hardly marry because of that osu problem that's why we have many rev.fathers from mbano, remember even Bible said we should not remove the landmark of the ancestors.your sister stupid love and ignorant is about putting your family and herself into trouble which which she may not come out easily..is beta she remain unmarried than to embark on that married..come to think of it is ur female sister now stronger than you or your father..why will your Dad bless the marriage initially...if sister is too stubborn then use violence as a man and stop that marriage..I hate nonsense[/quote]lmao what madness. Marriage that is already set to hold. He should look like a mad man abi? As far as they v collected dowry they r married
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Anonymous29: 9:21am On Nov 24, 2019
Systrom:
In the olden days in Igbo land. Let’s say for example two villages or towns are fighting a war, the people captured by each village will become slaves and furthermore be dedicated to the gods. That makes them an Osu, or Outcast. Because they are not indigenes of the village that captured them, they are now slaves and properties of the gods.

They cannot marry an indigene of the town, they can only marry within themselves. I.e Another Osu

With time some Osus or their children are freed by their captors and are no longer held as slaves. They are incorporated into the community. They are giving the opportunity to go and hustle and become someone in life. Many of them actually hustle hard and make millions and become rich. But that Osu tag is on them and their descendants forever.

You can’t hide or deny that you’re an Osu if you are truly one because the news spreads and parents will tell their children, people will gossip too, so everyone in the village will know.

But nowadays, most Osu families that are rich, most villagers will start associating with them, to get money or whatnot from them. But the villagers will never marry them. Because once you marry an Osu, you become an Osu as well. In fact, everybody in your family will now be regarded as Osu.

It’s really an archaic practice.

E.g In my village, there is an Osu family that is very wealthy with beautiful maidens. They buy lands up and down. A lot of villagers famz them because of their wealth and money. But nobody in the village married any of them. All the males and females married from other neighboring towns where no one knows their history.

wow... thanks for this. Well explained and well understood!

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Ndipe(m): 9:22am On Nov 24, 2019
Thought this discriminatory practise called osu was abolished. It has no place in today's modern day era.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by BIXYBABE: 9:24am On Nov 24, 2019
The origin of the osu caste system can be traced back to the era when the Igbo city-states were managed by the laws of the earth, known as Odinani. The deity, known as Ala, provided rules that must be obeyed by the people so that the nation would be blessed to prosper in the territory given to them by Chukwu, the Supreme God. Offenders who were found guilty of great abominations were cast away so as to avoid the anger of the earth Deity and to prevent the spread of abomination among the citizens of the state. These outcasts were identified as Osu. They were either sold to slavery to other men or were delivered to be enslaved to certain deities who were believed to ask for human sacrifice during festivals in order to clean the land from abomination, thus leading to the purchase of a slave by the people. [4] Another view on the history of the osu caste system centres on ostracization . This occurs when a person or group of persons who refuses the orders of a king or the decision of a community are banished from the community, thus resulting in the victim and his descendants being called osus. [5] Discrimination The osus are treated as inferior persons to the class of the Ndiala people. [6] The osus are made to live in shrines or marketplaces and are not allowed to have any relationship with the real born. In Chinua Achebe's No Longer At Ease , he said osus are given separate seats in churches. [7] The osus, who are also seen as unclean, are not allowed to break kola or make prayers on behalf of the real born because it is believed that they will bring calamity upon the society. [8] This form of maltreatment and punishment have prompted the osus to flee to other countries for survival. [9]

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by hgnbello(m): 9:24am On Nov 24, 2019
Looks like u are jst worried about ur self.. Let her be..
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by MrBen619(m): 9:26am On Nov 24, 2019
Imagine my sister, i believe traditions are still existing, but this one heavy for my mouth. In this 21 century? No no no no
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Edaniels9(m): 9:26am On Nov 24, 2019
pickatyou:
Truth be told your sister is a selfish bastard.

And all of you saying otherwise I believe you are not Igbo or ignorant, I guess if you family member brought an OSU u will welcome them along with all the curses they will bring.
Then you could all happily hug an Ebola victim instead of quarantining them.
That's what an OSU is in spiritual form, am Ebola victim.

Don't quote me if you are not Igbo.

Correct yourself guy!

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by SEGLIZ: 9:26am On Nov 24, 2019
Rasmega:
Africans and their stupid primitive thinking.

I outrightly disagree with not because I'm in support of this tradition but for you mentioning Africa like we are worse for it.
India still practices the CASTE tradition, there is still segregation within them pulling their class.
racism is just one worse osu system than any other. are racist not being primitive and backward? apartheid and xenophobia is another form of osu. don't let us talk ourselves down everytime though we can get better and put those primitiveness behind us.
I do believe in this osu or caste thing, if this so called osu man is supper rich and turn around the fortune of their clan or the entire village........town, won't the family or village head sellout?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by opedaydydx9(m): 9:27am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

you are a fool brother
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by humblemikel(f): 9:28am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

A very stupid post from an ancient fool
My friend get lost ......
Who the hell are you to renamed a person created by God in his own image as OSU
You and your great great grandfather's and mothers need a psychiatrist attention Asap.
Rubbish
And to think this post was approved makes me so paranoid

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Odingo1: 9:28am On Nov 24, 2019
Btruth:
....and should that be the same for their offsprings?
Yes, it is transferred to the descendant of the person
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by lordlugards: 9:29am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

your sister have sense more than your entire village people.
My friend fight the battle with her or else you will regret Later.

That lady is a hero for.
OSU kill your village people their.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by nnemmpi(m): 9:29am On Nov 24, 2019
Please young lady stop this nonsense
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Odingo1: 9:30am On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

Please so whats now the difference between Osu and Ohu ? I never hear them talk about that one
Ohu is a slave, a person that is bought and he or she is under slavery or defeated abducted people during olden days war.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Muhylonaire(m): 9:30am On Nov 24, 2019
Lmao... OSU ko OOU ni
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 24, 2019
alexvatt:
When I say Igbos are the most backward people on earth, and they are the problem of Nigeria, they will not agree. Imagine somebody is talking about OSU in this 21st century. God why did you create black man like this? God shouldn't have created black man in the first place. He wasted his time and energy in creating blacks. So what crime did the said OSU family commited then before they were tagged OSU? lol.
My brother igbos are not the problem but I really thought this shit doesn't exist anymore. Haew, Africans need thousands of years more before we stop behaving like fresh outta the cave people. The world is moving but we are going backward.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by realdevil: 9:31am On Nov 24, 2019
What if the osu guy have money like Dangote?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Hauwi(f): 9:31am On Nov 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

i am sure you will also see someone that will always say africans are primitive

in asia, there is caste systems, i guess it is alright

many europeans and americans are racists, i guess they are not primitive in thinking stupidly

suddenly as an african does similar stuff, all africans are primitive and think stupidly.
Those Americans are racist to people from other countries..the Op is referring to his own Nigerian igbo brother as an osu
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AuwalYusuf812(m): 9:32am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

make I listen to what our Elders get to say about this because I don't really have any idea

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Homguy(m): 9:33am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

you are the one that need help not your sister. Like someone said, your sister is a hero.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:37am On Nov 24, 2019
eleojo23:
OP, sorry but I support your father and sister 100%!

If you guys are Christians or enlightened/educated individuals, I am surprised that you still take the osu thing seriously.

What you do not believe has little power over you.
For instance, white men entered shrines and stole the gods and took them to Europe for museum display yet they did not die.

Well they died because everyone dies
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by deltateam: 9:38am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

All this fake stories. It seems people are being paid to create anonymous accounts and post fairy tales.

Oga Seun kindly employ me. I won't run out of stories.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 9:38am On Nov 24, 2019
Odingo1:

Ohu is a slave, a person that is bought and he or she is under slavery or defeated abducted people during olden days war.

So are both osu and ohu stigmatised in the same way?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by richie240: 9:38am On Nov 24, 2019
Rasmega:
Africans and their stupid primitive thinking.
Oga, be guided!
Don't rope in "Africa" in ur shiiit. This is an 'Igbo amaka' issue biko, so, say "Igbo and their stupid primitive thinking " next time.

Nb: if na good tin u'll hear "Igbo amaka" but if na evil u hear "We Nigerians/Africans"

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Welcomme: 9:38am On Nov 24, 2019
You, your father and all your family members excluding that your sister are stupid. In this 21st century, what that hell is OSU...Who still believes in all this nonsense of yours...
Op, I am just angry because going by your writing, you have acquired a form of education and you still reckon with this nonsense. You are na animal.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Dubembiafra: 9:40am On Nov 24, 2019
Who ever that is washed in the blood of the Lamb is a new creature, OP sorry to say this, the money used to train you in schools would have been used to play bet
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by humblemikel(f): 9:40am On Nov 24, 2019
To even think that this idiot is using our 21st century android mobile phone to type this shit marveled me a lot
I mean.......
Are you for real.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by ogbuefi677(m): 9:41am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place

Shame on you.
Your dad who is supposed to be old school is more enlightened than you.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by pocohantas(f): 9:44am On Nov 24, 2019
izzou:

If you ask the op now, he'll tell you he's a Christian

Sometimes, (I said sometimes oh), I wish I would marry outside the Igbo tribe. Some traditions are very terrible

I remember when my dad died. Luckily, he drafted how he was to be buried. He sent it to all the family tree years while he was still alive. If not, my mama for hear am

Lol @ christian. They will tell you to respect tradition too. I don't wanna talk too much, but we as a people need to change. Some of our ways dey somehow.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by midnighter(f): 9:44am On Nov 24, 2019
ogbuefi677:

Shame on you.
Your dad who is supposed to be old school is more enlightened than you.

His dad has already married and had children so his concerns are different.

This is his own future family on the line, that's why he's worried. He has a right to be worried because that stuff can affect you in the future, especially as a man
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Adinije(f): 9:44am On Nov 24, 2019
Systrom:
In the olden days in Igbo land. Let’s say for example two villages or towns are fighting a war, the people captured by each village will become slaves and furthermore be dedicated to the gods. That makes them an Osu, or Outcast. Because they are not indigenes of the village that captured them, they are now slaves and properties of the gods.

They cannot marry an indigene of the town, they can only marry within themselves. I.e Another Osu

With time some Osus or their children are freed by their captors and are no longer held as slaves. They are incorporated into the community. They are given the opportunity to go and hustle and become someone in life. Many of them actually hustle hard and make millions and become rich. But that Osu tag is on them and their descendants forever.

You can’t hide or deny that you’re an Osu if you are truly one because the news spreads and parents will tell their children, people will gossip too, so everyone in the village will know.

But nowadays, most Osu families that are rich, most villagers will start associating with them, to get money or whatnot from them. But the villagers will never marry them. Because once you marry an Osu, you become an Osu as well. In fact, everybody in your family will now be regarded as Osu.

It’s really an archaic practice.

E.g In my village, there is an Osu family that is very wealthy with beautiful maidens. They buy lands up and down. A lot of villagers famz them because of their wealth and money. But nobody in the village married any of them. All the males and females married from other neighboring towns where no one knows their history.

Slaves and Osu are not the same thing bro. Though both are considered outcast.

In olden days, the oppressed run to the gods for protection (thereby they become properties of the gods.) Once, this happens, they are considered as Osu. Nobody will want to associate with them because if you cause them any harm, you have incurred the wrath of the gods.

People also became Osu when the community dedicate them to the gods (Life sacrifice).

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Welcomme: 9:44am On Nov 24, 2019
rex444:
without culture and tradition,what are we? I am not here to criticize but whoever wishes to know better can feel free to ask me.....young man what your sister is going into believe me can be disastrous.....our ancestors are still wide awake
You and your ancestors are foolish. Tell your ancestors and gods that they are mad and stupid

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply)

Canadian Lady With Huge Chest Claps Back At Those Who Asked Her To Wear Bra / Man Kneels To Propose To His Big Girlfriend. (Photos) / Michael B. Jordan Is People's Sexiest Man Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.