Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,656 members, 7,816,685 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? (37295 Views)

How True Is This Myth About Honda And Toyota Car Engines? (pictures) / Lets Debate This: Fuel Consumption Between A Honda And Toyota / Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by legalwealth(m): 7:39pm On Nov 25, 2019
lonelydora:

DW-1 is the recommended transmission oil for Honda. A litre is 4,000 or 4,500 and you need 4 litres of it. Please do not put Abro or Visco 2000 or any other oil in your transmission.

There is a Chinese product of DW-1. If you stay in Lagos or Port Harcourt, i can direct you where to get the original.

Exactly! !!

I single handedly ordered mine from USA and my transmission has been doing great.

3 Likes

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by legalwealth(m): 7:44pm On Nov 25, 2019
ping2ping:
This has been an age long debate over which of the two automakers produces better vehicles. Well, there is no straight answer to this but depending on what you are looking for, the following might help in addition to what others have said. I have used Toyota car and now Honda, here below are my opinion about the two:

1. Engine - Honda wins. Most Honda engines are stronger and more durable. A Toyota user is more likely to change the engine of the car before a Honda user if the two vehicles are properly maintained. However, this is not to say that Toyota engines are bad just that Honda edges it here.

2. Interior Design and Aesthetics - Again Honda wins. Honda vehicles are very beautify and alluring. They have fantastic dashboards with user friendly controls. Toyota on the other hand has very poor interior and bland dashboards with very few controls, mostly the most basics that will help you drive the car, use the AC. Compare Honda Civic 2006 and Toyota Corolla 2006. Also compare Honda Accord 2010 and Toyota Camry 2010. Another example, a 1996 Honda car has cruise control as default while a 2003 Toyota car does not even have a cruise control. Look at a Honda vehicle dashboard at night and the illumination will wow you as compared to most Toyota cars.

3. Automatic Transmission - Toyota wins. Most Toyota vehicles have a very rugged auto transmission that can last for a long time. The probability of a Honda user changing transmission or having transmission issues is higher than a Toyota user.

4. Durability - Toyota wins. Most Toyota vehicles are more durable and rugged than most Honda vehicles. Toyota vehicles are built to last longer without breaking down and the issues that could breakdown without prior notice are more in Honda. The probability of the vehicle breaking down is more with Honda vehicles. It doesn't mean Toyota cars don't breakdown but with Honda, it is more considering also the nature of roads in Nigeria. If you use Honda mostly places with good roads then you will NOT see this as an issue. Toyota vehicles are used mainly for public transport because its very durable couple with the fact that majority of our roads are in a sorry state.

5. Resale Value - Again Toyota wins. Toyota vehicles in this part of the world has a higher resale value probably because of it durability. I bought my first Toyota Nigeria car, used it for 9 years and sold it almost the price i bought it 9 years ago without stress because i had many people wanting to buy it. The same cannot be said of most Honda cars. People value Toyota cars more than Honda cars if you want to resale and also its easier to sell off your Toyota car.

6. Cost of Spare Parts - Toyota marginally wins. The cost of Toyota parts is marginally cheaper than Honda parts for most model of vehicles. Both are very available in the market but you are more likely to spend more to buy Honda part than Toyota parts for similar model and year of cars.

Conclusion - Both Toyota and Honda cars are good each with it pros and cons with respect to a particular model and year. For example, Toyota RAV4 2000-2003 are prone to ECU issues while Honda CRV, a competing model does not have such issues. The question is what is your priority in a car? secondly where do you intend to mostly use the car? If you want to mostly use the car to travel especially interstate in Nigeria then stay away from Honda. If you value beautiful interior design with state of the arts controls then stay away from Toyota cars.

My humble submission.

Facts
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by Scarpon(m): 8:26pm On Nov 25, 2019
I just have this special likeness for honda cars especially Acura

4 Likes

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by smasher1(m): 8:39pm On Nov 25, 2019
Offpoint:
They all take you to your destination,
They all get spoil at some point,
They can all be stolen,
They can all crash,

just buy any.

When I'm rich enough for a car, I'll go with a car with the baddest, maddest and loudest sounds system.... nobody will rest in my neighborhood.

A poor mentality. You have not arrived. Disturbing the neighborhood with music etc is the hallmark of poor people.

4 Likes

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by Yorubabyblood: 8:43pm On Nov 25, 2019
Smartchoiice:
Neither is MORE reliable.
I'll vote Mercedes Benz.

Fentanyl wish you knew the joys of slightly burnt beans.....that heavenly taste...with chilled watered garri..
not everyone can afford benz, im also sure u cant afford it

3 Likes

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by paix(m): 8:43pm On Nov 25, 2019
femtex007:
Toyota. I don't have strength for Honda shaft wahala.
Lack of maintenance is the problem. It doesn't just pull out without notice.

2 Likes

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by paix(m): 8:44pm On Nov 25, 2019
Scarpon:
I just have this special likeness for honda cars especially Acura
Pursue your dream.

1 Like

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
Yorubabyblood:

not everyone can afford benz, im also sure u cant afford it
Okay.
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by adanny01(m): 10:00pm On Nov 25, 2019
jchibueze:

I disagree Sir. For Engine build, yes for Honda but for Transmission (Gear Box), No for Honda. Except for Honda Civic that has good records of Gearbox so far. In a nut shell, Toyota is better. Check youtube for comparism of both products.

2008 Sienna has horrible transmission
2008 Camry also has horrible transmission (10 pin vs 13pin issues)
2008 Corolla also fail transmission

2006 and above.Honda transmission is completely solid.

6 Likes

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by OcMichaels(m): 10:07pm On Nov 25, 2019
signed:
Good morning House,
Please btw honda cars and toyota, which is most reliable.

Thanks for your kind response

Once you take which ever you buy to church for dedication and let it get covered with the blood of jesus ......Na you go con tire for reliability..
Assurance from the high places

1 Like

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by captainking(m): 10:18pm On Nov 25, 2019
lonelydora:

DW-1 is the recommended transmission oil for Honda. A litre is 4,000 or 4,500 and you need 4 litres of it. Please do not put Abro or Visco 2000 or any other oil in your transmission.

There is a Chinese product of DW-1. If you stay in Lagos or Port Harcourt, i can direct you where to get the original.
Where can one get the dw1 in Ph
Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by lilkech(m): 11:33pm On Nov 25, 2019
Olalekanbanky1:

Bro can u pls gimme a lay man's explanation of the function of 'cruise' on a car. I have it on my EOD 2004 but I don't even know what it does.

To use the cruise you follow the below steps

1. Press the cruise main button and on your control cluster the green cruise main icon will light up

2. say you want to drive and only move at 100kmph you first drive to that speed and press the top accel button on your steering and the cruise control icon will light up on your control cluster beside the cruise main icon)

3. You can now take your foot off the throttle pedal and watch your car fire itself at exactly the same 100kmph you set earlier when you pressed the top accel cruise button. If you want to move faster to say like 120kmph you can just keep pressing the top accel cruise bottom to increase speed.

If you want to reduce your cars speed then you can press the bottom decel cruise button. You will see your car reducing speed from 100kmph to like 90-80 as you keep pressing the button.

4. Once you press the brake pedal the cruise control will automatically disable itself and you can now use the throttle pedal as you wish.

If you also moving too slow (below 80kmph) the cruise control will not work/engage or will disengage itself if it was working before you hit such speed either by pressing the decel cruise button or any other unforeseen stuff.

Be vigilant while using your cars cruise control in Nigeria, always do it on a long and maybe lonely stretch of road. Better on highway travels. In fact in Nigeria if you’re not traveling on a highway and you’re using your cruise control you’re increasing your chances of having an accident by 50%.

Cc grudges

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by avidleo: 11:37pm On Nov 25, 2019
Let me shake this table.

Would rather go for a 2006 - 2009 Hyundai
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by grudges: 12:09am On Nov 26, 2019
lilkech:

To use the cruise you follow the below steps

1. Press the cruise main button and on your control cluster the green cruise main icon will light up

2. say you want to drive and only move at 100kmph you first drive to that speed and press the top accel button on your steering and the cruise control icon will light up on your control cluster beside the cruise main icon)

3. You can now take your foot off the throttle pedal and watch your car fire itself at exactly the same 100kmph you set earlier when you pressed the top accel cruise button. If you want to move faster to say like 120kmph you can just keep pressing the top accel cruise bottom to increase speed.

If you want to reduce your cars speed then you can press the bottom decel cruise button. You will see your car reducing speed from 100kmph to like 90-80 as you keep pressing the button.

4. Once you press the brake pedal the cruise control will automatically disable itself and you can now use the throttle pedal as you wish.

If you also moving too slow (below 80kmph) the cruise control will not work/engage or will disengage itself if it was working before you hit such speed either by pressing the decel cruise button or any other unforeseen stuff.

Be vigilant while using your cars cruise control in Nigeria, always do it on a long and maybe lonely stretch of road. Better on highway travels. In fact in Nigeria if you’re not traveling on a highway and you’re using your cruise control you’re increasing your chances of having an accident by 50%.

Cc grudges
Thank u so much lilkech.
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by lonelydora: 2:29am On Nov 26, 2019
captainking:

Where can one get the dw1 in Ph
Thanks.

PM, let's talk.
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 26, 2019
collinsuchendu:
Like for Toyota, Share for Honda
All Toyota opponents voted Honda.
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by NonFarmPayrol: 10:43am On Nov 26, 2019
lonelydora:

I get mine at 2500 each
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by lonelydora: 11:11am On Nov 26, 2019
NonFarmPayrol:

I get mine at 2500 each

Chinese made. Original is not less than 4000
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by NonFarmPayrol: 12:23pm On Nov 26, 2019
lonelydora:

Chinese made. Original is not less than 4000

Ha

Scary. Means my transmission not safe

1 Like

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by lonelydora: 5:37pm On Nov 26, 2019
NonFarmPayrol:

Ha

Scary. Means my transmission not safe

It's safe, but it's good you change it immediately. The Chinese functions temporarily and not too long like the Japanese made.
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by NonFarmPayrol: 5:45pm On Nov 26, 2019
lonelydora:

It's safe, but it's good you change it immediately. The Chinese functions temporarily and not too long like the Japanese made.

I dont compromise on car maintenance. Where can I get this original in Lagos

I need 6, cause it's a pilot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by Scarpon(m): 6:07pm On Nov 26, 2019
paix:
Pursue your dream.
on it bro
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by paix(m): 7:19pm On Nov 26, 2019
Scarpon:
on it bro
Good luck bro. You're sounding like a go-getter.
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by lonelydora: 9:49pm On Nov 26, 2019
NonFarmPayrol:

I dont compromise on car maintenance. Where can I get this original in Lagos

I need 6, cause it's a pilot

Call Roland on 08029255299 or Whatsapp him on 08099451504. His moniker on Nairaland here is Luvinhubby

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by princeogbeide1(m): 9:53pm On Nov 26, 2019
adanny01:

Infact, Honda is the biggest engine manufacturer in the world.
You are right... Honda makes powerful bike engines

1 Like

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by Kfed4ril(m): 5:57pm On Nov 28, 2019
lonelydora:
The truth is this....Toyota cars are too bland and not sophisticated, that's why people think it's strong.

In terms of engine and gearbox, you can't compare Toyota with Honda. Honda is stronger both in engine and gearbox.

Newbies go for Toyota but those who wants to enjoy their ride go for Honda.

Why do you think engines like water pumping machine, Generators, boat engines, etc. made by Honda are too expensive? There is a mark of quality in that name.

For those saying ball joints issue......you have it in 4 Runner, Tacoma, Sequoia, etc. Always buy OEM parts and you won't experience it.

Edited:
For those quoting me on Honda transmission. Always use Honda recommended oil - DW-1. Even the Chinese made DW-1 is not trusted. Stop using Abro, Visco 2000 etc. in your gearbox.

How can I differentiate between the original and Chinese Honda DW 1 Oi͏l ?
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by lonelydora: 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2019
Kfed4ril:

How can I differentiate between the original and Chinese Honda DW 1 Oi͏l ?

Only a truthful seller will tell you. But look at the country of production first.
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by Kfed4ril(m): 7:57pm On Nov 28, 2019
lonelydora:

Only a truthful seller will tell you. But look at the country of production first.

Original should be Japan and fake should be China

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by lonelydora: 8:20pm On Nov 28, 2019
Kfed4ril:

Original should be Japan and fake should be China

Yes. Not that it's fake, but it will break down easily and won't last long like the Japanese made.
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by Kfed4ril(m): 8:56pm On Nov 28, 2019
lonelydora:

Yes. Not that it's fake, but it will break down easily and won't last long like the Japanese made.

Ok thanks, but do you have an idea what causes slow changing of gear on automatic cars.
Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by lonelydora: 9:12pm On Nov 28, 2019
Kfed4ril:

Ok thanks, but do you have an idea what causes slow changing of gear on automatic cars.

So many things can cause it.

1. Low level Transmission oil.

2. Transmission oil due for change.

3. Worn out fibre

Take your car for a diagnosis.

Which lights are 'on' on your instrument cluster?

Does the "Drive" light blink when driving?

Which Honda make and year are you driving?

1 Like

Re: Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? by Kfed4ril(m): 9:14pm On Nov 28, 2019
lonelydora:

So many things can cause it.

1. Low level Transmission oil.

2. Transmission oil due for change.

3. Worn out fibre

Take your car for a diagnosis.

Which lights are 'on' on your instrument cluster?

Does the "Drive" light blink when driving?

Which Honda make and year are you driving?

2008 Accord.
When I get home I will snap the dashboard and post it here.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians Take The "Take Your Car On A Date" Trend To A Higher Level / Innoson Produces Parts For Nigerian AirForce Fighter Jets / New Benz Car Burnt In Kano State (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.