Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,501 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! - Crime (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! (71681 Views)

Yahoo Boys In Benin Throw Money Into The Air (Video) / Yahoo Boys Throw Money Into A Dirty River During Ritual / Hushpuppi Transferred To California For Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Kwekwemaster: 2:01pm On Nov 30, 2019
Davash222:
Don't go to the bank immediately.

Firstly, make a report to any Police station close to you. They will take the case from there.

He needs to go with a lawyer o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Yankee101: 2:04pm On Nov 30, 2019
Look for 50k and take to the bank to credit in your account so it can be reversed and the real owner paid.

Take your evidence to see the head of operations of any of the branches.

They might try to arrest you. Go with a lawyer if you can. Give a reasonable explanation with evidence showing your friend's request to you, his pictures and details and how you forwarded the money to him, you should be fine. Lose that kind of friend.

Plus lesson learned. Never give your account to anyone for anything except for trusted transfers you're expecting. Money can be collected via OTC (Over the counter) transfers by people without accounts so no one should use yours.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 30, 2019
foreshore:

You are such a slowpoke. So by his running away and avoiding the bank would not make him culperable? Mumu like you

Mufu, there's no law requiring him to go to the bank within 6 hours.

He can go there much later with his lawyer and not alone.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 2:05pm On Nov 30, 2019
Jabioro:
tWhat are you saying..I am talking about him not proxy account

Ah ok..
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 30, 2019
Toma2:
I have a friend who was in same trouble..
How did he come out of it, Bro. Educate us.
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 30, 2019
madone:
Chat that guy up or call him on phone and have ur conversation recorded. Make sure in ur talk u make it clear in record that u don't know anything and make sure he confirms it thru ur dialogue ..never allow him know u are recording ur call. If it chatting try doing a voice note to him so he a reply...if the above is successful g to the nearest and trusted lawyer to go with u to the police to make a report n the happenings.show them ur record as prove of ur Innocence. Then go to the bank and correct the error fast before ur friend rans far the police will get him down and he will bring the rest ofhs gang

Good you corrected yourself. No need of all those stress again. The guy already knew so he will be avoiding him.

Report himself and let the authorities handle it
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by pek(m): 2:12pm On Nov 30, 2019
ornicus:
Now I will go cynical. Hope you are not doing picker for your paddy. Because I am wondering why your friend has you bank account details in the first place.

Read the story again.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 30, 2019
Officialgarri:

Keep every conversation with him on record. Audio, video, screenshots... Whatever...

Go to the bank alone and present yourself. When they eventually ask after the guy, tell them he has refused to show up

Don't listen to this one. The bank won't talk to you. They will just sit you down and call the police.

Report yourself and allow the authority take it up

1 Like

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Jodesky(m): 2:20pm On Nov 30, 2019
ogbuefi677:

What if he prevails on his friend to get his dad to withdraw the complaint?(eg,OP's father talks to his friend's dad)
Will the case die a natural death?

There's no complaint by anyone yet. If any, it should be one fraud victim elsewhere depending on the source of the funds paid into his account.

The one I'm handling now is just 30k and my cousin has been on this for two months now. She went to the bank and they called EFCC. She spent the weekend in there before she was released on bail next Monday. They insist she must locate the guy that paid the money into her account. Case is still ongoing now..
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by somehow: 2:21pm On Nov 30, 2019
Stop replying that guy.
Yaoli:

We are not in the same university so I can’t say even same university I don’t know what he’s doing underneath..
I was just too kind to trust him with my account
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by efficiencie(m): 2:22pm On Nov 30, 2019
Dude you are in deep shit ohhh! But not deep enough. Go and get that 50k ready. Borrow it or something. Don't head to the police station because the police will not hear you out. Head to the bank. Explain the scenario and tell them you are willing to settle the amount of money, 50k. The bank will be persuaded to settle the matter without involving the police since you are willing to pay the money back.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by DaSailor: 2:36pm On Nov 30, 2019
Make a report to the Police prefarably with a lawyer present for legal advise and guidance. State clearly what transpired and how the "culprit" has confessed to his dad of making the transfer from his account.
Make a scanned copy of the report and any supporting evidence, send to your bank's contact center copying their antifraud unit or submit at the branch with a lawyer in toe.
Also have your friend and his friend make a written statement exonorating you of any connivance in the transfer and requesting the restriction on your account be lifted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by baratech: 2:43pm On Nov 30, 2019
Go to the police station... You're still there doing 'he's my friend I've known from primary school'
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by sammer4life(m): 2:50pm On Nov 30, 2019
bluefilm:

How do they know the money that is under dispute?
Probably the original owner of the money complained. The thing is, I later got to understand what might likely have happened. The thief that approached me must have had access to someone's account, came to me, transfered the money to me, and the original account holder got hold of the transaction, called the bank, the bank froze the whole thing, waiting for me to come forth and clarify issues with them. As I was not forth coming, they reversed the money back to the guy. My saving grace was that I have not withdraw the money. The day they reversed the money, I was so relieved. Though I lost my 50k, its better than the whole wahala involved

1 Like

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by sampete(m): 2:54pm On Nov 30, 2019
One has to be careful with how you give out your ACC details.

Just this morning, an Ex-girlfriend who is wanting to return back to the fold begged me to send her my ACC details, that she wants to send some unsolicited funds. I insisted she shouldn't bother.

Who knows if she was planning on getting me into trouble.[sub][/sub]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by oxiide22(m): 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2019
[quote author=Yaoli post=84479231]

I hope they will listen to me..

I’m talking this guy that collect my Acct to let us go there he’s trying to dodge that [/quotehe already put u in trouble, but why are u hiding his name. Don't go to the bank alone although he won't follow u go and report to police ]
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by BluntBoy(m): 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2019
Yaoli:

Bro I already sent the money to the guy that collected my Acct immediately even I my self I’ve never had 50K alone before I don’t know how I’ll be refunding a money I know nothing about now bro but the guy has confessed to his dad that he was the one that transferred the money to someone

Another red flag.

You have never had 50k alone before. Suddenly, you had 50k and made a transfer of 50k within 24 hours.
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by BluntBoy(m): 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2019
Some people are advising OP never to give out his bank details.

The advice should rather be not to give out your bank details to just anyone.

While I was in the university, my bank details were on the phones of many of my uncles. How else would I get more money if I didn't share my details with these uncles?

However, I can never give out my details to a friend. One guy who was just a neighbor (an acquaintance) saw that I always received packages from Konga. He tried talking me into using my Kongapay account to purchase a laptop. His plan was to pay into my bank account attached to my Kongapay. I told him I couldn't. And took my time to teach him how to open a Kongapay account and register his debit card.
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by bluefilm: 3:14pm On Nov 30, 2019
sammer4life:

Probably the original owner of the money complained. The thing is, I later got to understand what might likely have happened. The thief that approached me must have had access to someone's account, came to me, transfered the money to me, and the original account holder got hold of the transaction, called the bank, the bank froze the whole thing, waiting for me to come forth and clarify issues with them. As I was not forth coming, they reversed the money back to the guy. My saving grace was that I have not withdraw the money.

Thank you so much for this explanation.

Nedekid, abeg come and learn how to explain certain things.

The day they reversed the money, I was so relieved. Though I lost my 50k, its better than the whole wahala involved

Why did you lose the 50K?

Was it 50k that was transferred into your account?

If so, then you didn't actually lose the money because it was really never yours, or am I wrong? wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Ten06(m): 3:15pm On Nov 30, 2019
Your saving grace is that you also transfer the money back to your friend and did not withdraw it and give him the cash. Firstly, go and see your friend and know his location then go to the bank, you will surely be arrested but make sure you take the police to your friend place immediately. It is after your friend has been arrested before you can start talking of your bail.
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by gaetano: 3:18pm On Nov 30, 2019
Go to Twitter and call the attention of segalink, he'll make sure everything goes smoothly for you.
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2019
You are already in trouble. If the deal is fraudulent, they will very likely charge you as an accomplice. There is no way that you can prove your innocence, and even if your friend confesses that you are innocent, you are still guilty of passing funds derived from fraudulent means. Ignorance is not considered as a legally acceptable excuse.

People have been warned severally not to receive money in their account on behalf of 3rd parties, not to carry someone's luggage on a plane, not to serve as guarantors to friends whom they cannot 100% trust, but they don't listen.

Learn to say "no" people.

As for you, just walk to your lawyer and explain your case. That is your best option. Anything else you do will cost you what you cannot afford. Trust me.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by WINDSOW(m): 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2019
Yaoli:
Hello Nairalanders,

I had to create this new Acct to post this
Pls permit my typographical errors
Last week Saturday I was reading when I got a call from a friend that he needs my account number because his account can’t take the sum of money he wants to receive from the person that wants to transfer for him I asked him how much he said 300K I said jokingly that he should go and get a better account and stop operation student accounts. So I sent him my account details and the person sending him money credited my account 50K I told him that I revived only 50K not 300K he said yes that the person has reached his limit for the day ..

I seen him his money later in the evening via Quickteller because the server was not good and I was left with only 22K that was in my account before ok good ..

Fast forward to yesterday Evening I tried checking my account my login in and I noticed my account has been restricted I was confused on what might have happened I thought it’s something simple that I’ll walk to the bank and perfect it .. then I decided to message the costumer care I was told I need to update my Bvn informations that I should dial a particular number and follow instructions I tried it but it’s not working .

I’m suppose to visit the bank today but I was busy

Just after my Pratical in school today I was sitting when my guy called me again that is there anything wrong with my account he said I should not go to the bank because the 50K transaction that was sent earlier was fraudulent I was like wtf but he dropped the call ..

I called him again his contact was not available so after sometimes he messaged me online telling me the guy that sent it used his brothers account and he told him that it’s not from his account that his own personal account has been locked too because he later revived money directly from him and that’s how he got to know ..

What i’m after is a solution now can I go to the bank and explain my self already or what can I do to make all this not to bounce on me because I know noting about it I’ve never received any fraudulent transactions before someone said I should take him along to the bank and just hand him over when anything happens all
I need is a solution right now me mad the guy went to same primary school and secondary so I know him very well and made me trust him with my account what can I do right now
I swear they ll arrest, take u to DSS & jail u. I swear. Don't Go!
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by nedekid: 3:34pm On Nov 30, 2019
bluefilm:

Thank you so much for this explanation.

Nedekid, abeg come and learn how to explain certain things.

Why did you lose the 50K?

Was it 50k that was transferred into your account?

If so, then you didn't actually lose the money because it was really never yours, or am I wrong? wink wink wink
No vex bros
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2019
BluntBoy:
Some people are advising OP never to give out his bank details.

The advice should rather be not to give out your bank details to just anyone.

While I was in the university, my bank details were on the phones of many of my uncles. How else would I get more money if I didn't share my details with these uncles?

However, I can never give out my details to a friend. One guy who was just a neighbor (an acquaintance) saw that I always received packages from Konga. He tried talking me into using my Kongapay account to purchase a laptop. His plan was to pay into my bank account attached to my Kongapay. I told him I couldn't. And took my time to teach him how to open a Kongapay account and register his debit card.

There is nothing wrong with giving out your bank details to anyone. You can even paste it on CNN. The problem arises when you get a transaction which you are not entitled to receive and which you cannot explain. If such a thing happens, and you report directly to the bank without using it or transferring it to a 3rd party, the bank will resolve the issue and exonerate you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by goldenprince1(m): 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2019
Don't rush to the bank yet without first of all making a report at the police station. It's very dangerous and might land you in prison if you go with reporting first at the station ...because the banks are already looking for you.

The know you will come around if you can't access you account.

This very issue happened to somebody I know in August this year and God helped him out.

This same issue happened to a boy working for my friend but he was lucky not to have gone to the bank directly.

What happened was that a boy illegally transferred money (N10,000) from his father's corporate account to this boy's account which he withdrew for this boy a day after.

Unknown to the man, the owner of the account, that his son was behind the evil act. He went report the matter to his bank and his bank traced the funds to my friend's boy account and his account was restricted.

This boy called the customer care, he was told to visit the nearest branch of bank that his account is being investigated for some transactions done on it.

We advised him NOT to go to the bank because he would be arrested and tagged an accomplice in the crime.

He listened to other people urging to go to bank first. He went to the branch close to his place of abode.

On getting to the bank he was told to wait while they work to rectify the issue with his account( a ploy to delay him and get him arrested).

Sensing danger and luckily for him, the banker handling his issue went upstairs to get some documents. Before he returned this boy ran quickly out of the bank and disappeared into the crowd of people in the market.

On getting home, he narrated how he almost got arrested and how he miraculously escaped.

It was then he did what we had advised him to do first, which is going to a nearest police station to make a formal complaint.

He went to the Police to make a statement.
The DPO told him that he was very lucky to have escaped because it was a fraud case and that banks don't joke with such.

The DPO said he was sure that he would be declare wanted soon but thank God he has come make a police report. That even he was eventually arrested that he would say that he had made a police report regarding the matter and that would help him greatly in the case.

So, the Police asked if he knew where the guy who transferred the money to his account stay and said yes.

He took the police there and he was arrested. It was after he was arrested that his father got know that it's his son who has been illegally transferring money from his account.

The police told the man that in order for them to release his son, he should write to his bank telling them that he now know who was behind all the illegal transfers from his accounts so the bank will unfreeze the innocent boy's account. That his son is responsible.

The wrote his account officer his detailing all that happened....

He son was released on bail and the boy's account was unfreezed 4 weeks after.

OP, you should be able to produce the person who sent the money to your account when the police ask you so as to help them in their investigation.

I hope this will help.

God luck to you.

PS: Next time don't give your account details to just anybody you don't trust.

This is latest crime in town now and it's sending innocent people to jail for crime they knew nothing about.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2019
RisenPhoenix:
You are already in trouble. If the deal is fraudulent, they will very likely charge you as an accomplice. There is no way that you can prove your innocence, and even if your friend confesses that you are innocent, you are still guilty of passing funds derived from fraudulent means. Ignorance is not considered as a legally acceptable excuse.

People have been warned severally not to receive money in their account on behalf of 3rd parties, not to carry someone's luggage on a plane, not to serve as guarantors to friends whom they cannot 100% trust, but they don't listen.

Learn to say "no" people.

This here. You need to be paranoid. Especially in Nigeria where so many peoples source of income is murky.

I still suspect the op sha.
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 30, 2019
RisenPhoenix:

There is nothing wrong with giving out your bank details to anyone. You can even paste it on CNN. The problem arises when you get a transaction which you are not entitled to receive and which you cannot explain. If such a thing happens, and you report directly to the bank without using it or transferring it to a 3rd party, the bank will resolve the issue and exonerate you.

An example of the scam is as follows. A person is ahead of a queue at an atm.someone comes says guy I have an emergency. My pikin is in hospital etc etc. I have reached my limit. Or my card is not going. Let me send you the money, with draw and give to me. I will pay for your trouble. You give your account, the money is paid in, your withdraw and give to the guy. A week later your account is frozen and you find that the money was paid from the account of a robbery victim or some such

1 Like

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by cyberguy72(m): 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2019
Arrest that your friend immediately he is the only antidote to your problem.
Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by studentofTruth: 4:12pm On Nov 30, 2019
People should be careful with friends. I had a similar request from an old friend. He asked for my PayPal account to receive payment. I asked for an evidence that the source of fund is legit but he couldn't provide it. I simply ignored him.

@Op, if what you said about the sender coming forward to his dad (the real owner of the money) is true, then your lucky.

If not, get a good lawyer to accompany you to the police station. This case may get to a stage where your lawyer will need a record of your phone conversations with that your friend from the telecommunication company.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Transferred Money Into My Account, About To Put Me In Trouble! by Sunsets: 4:21pm On Nov 30, 2019
Seek legal council first from a lawyer.
LOGOBELT:

Bro, pls I advise you to take this step. This is the best, make sure you report to the nearest police station before going to the bank

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Meets Crippled Man Assaulted In Onitsha By Soldiers (Photos) / Wife Serves Her Husband Indian Hemp At His Workplace (Pictures) / Joy Odama Murdered By Alhaji In Abuja, Parents Call For Justice (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.