Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,995 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? (96200 Views)

Snake Bites 2-year-old; Kid Bites Back, Killing It / Snake Bites Married Woman To Death In Obudu, Cross River State (Photo) / Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by lovchalice(f): 11:22pm On Dec 17, 2019
Seolowu120:

Crazy people
Not joking. It's effective
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by healthserve(m): 11:23pm On Dec 17, 2019
Adalasy:

There is a specie of rat called the Crested rate that is venomous. Plus rats can be extremely harmful to humans if not more harmful than snakes.

Some of the diseases rats can transmit to humans are and not limited to;

HANTAVIRUS. Most commonly found in the white-footed mouse, cotton rat and rice rat, the Hantavirus is a potentially life-threatening disease that currently has no specific treatment, cure or vaccine. ...

LYMPHOCYTIC CHORIOMENINGITIS VIRUS (LCMV)

PLAGUE.

SALMONELLA. ...

RAT BITE FEVER. ...

TULAREMIA.

You have no idea how dangerous rats truly are.

People encounter snakes a lot fewer than they encounter rats

We call Zoonotic species. I agree. Many of these pests carry/can carry viruses dangerous to human
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Adalasy: 11:27pm On Dec 17, 2019
healthserve:

We call Zoonotic species. I agree. Many of these pests carry/can carry viruses dangerous to human

The word dangerous does not quite describe it. They can cause fatalities in humans and they often do.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Fate111: 11:33pm On Dec 17, 2019
Lynx001:
Lyk the woman wìth the flow of blood who touch jesus garment and was healed. the pesin shuld touch lala's garment. The venom flow will stop.

How old are u?

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Adalasy: 11:37pm On Dec 17, 2019
For the person who recommended drinking Kerosene please nobody should ever do that. However i would recommend turpentine in place of Kerosene but even Turpentine is not to be taken orally

Pour turpentine alone over a snake bite to draw out the poison or you can mix turpentine with salt and tie the mixture over a snake bite to draw out the poison but this one has to be super quickly after the snake bite. After this, rub fat from fatty meat and turpentine all over, even under your arms and the bottom of your feet. Go to bed and cover up. You will wake up in the morning totally free from the effect of the venom of the snake bite.

You can buy Turpentine from a good store and i advice everyone should have one in their homes for such a time as this

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by biggy26: 11:38pm On Dec 17, 2019
NwsBoy:
To prevent this from happening again just carry bitter cola with you any time you are going to the bush or any place that has snakes..

Snakes don't like bitter cola.....

Bitter cola reduces the effect of almost any poison in the body.
What do you do with the kola bros?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by lovchalice(f): 11:39pm On Dec 17, 2019
cRobo:
Was bitten by a centipede last night while alseep and I was really scared also

Thank God it wasn't life threatening

Was afraid that it was a snake

I used hot water to massage the spot to neutralize the venom (because i reseached that night that venom are not heat resistant) but them I very was feverish immediately and felt serious heart palpation

But for snake I don't know

As for that dude that say drink kerosene should be careful of the advice they give on this platform. I'm not a dude
I spent years in my village and have seen it work severally. Three tablespoon of kerosene can't kill anyone

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Adalasy: 11:46pm On Dec 17, 2019
lovchalice:
Not joking. It's effective

Never ask anyone to drink kerosene when they are obviously panicky. The thought of being bitten by a snake sets off a panic alarm in our system. Anything taken orally can be taken excessively because they think the more they take the quicker it would work or the more effective so overdose is very likely and further complications from what you thought would help might occur.

Besides well known herbs which i have listed a few i do not give anything oral for snake bites. Anything else is topical and it works almost as good if not better too. It depends on what is quickly at hand though.

Just be careful is all i am saying
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by CirocBoi(m): 11:48pm On Dec 17, 2019
Virus99:

Oshey oshey Dr. Ben Carson grin

Mad o!!! Lwkmd .... Nor be the kerosene go kill the person before the venom

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by LordAzubuike(f): 11:51pm On Dec 17, 2019
AnimationsVilla:
Chew raw onions. This will localize the venom to only the spot that was bitten.

Alternatively, cut lime and drink half while attaching the remaining half to the spot. It will sick out the venom.

Ginger paste application can also do the job.
Oga shut up there. You local people just keep behaving like illiterates. Chew onion drink like lol.. these things aren't even scientifically proven.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by okoroemeka(m): 11:57pm On Dec 17, 2019
TheArchangel:

Keep the person as calm as possible. Anxiety increases heart rate and increased heart rate will circulate the venom faster to all part of the body. kiss
Keep the part lower to decrease the circulation of the venom.
Tying of a tourniquet is no longer recommended as the part may lack blood supply and die.

If it is a poisonous snake, get a sharp machete and hack that part off.

GET TO A TEACHING HOSPITAL OR THE BIGGEST HOSPITAL IN YOUR STATE FOR ANTI-VENOM IF YOU GET BITTEN.
PAY WHATEVER YOU ARE TOLD TO...... NO BARGAIN.
WITH ULTRA POISONOUS SNAKES LIKE boomslangs, spitting cobra, puff adder etc, YOU MAY HAVE ONLY MINUTES TO LIVE.
A wet bite from a puff adder is a death sentence in Nigeria,anti venom or not,these pit vipers are bioengineered by nature not to bite anyhow but to conserve venom for prey not humans,not to run away or attack when threatened,they tend to depend on their camouflage to hide,even if you step on it they may not even bite or in most cases if they do it will be a dry bite or less venom bit from an adult viper,but if you have the bad luck to step on a young viper that is learning how to conserve venom and receive a full wet bite,you will be dead in minutes !!!

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Daddyboy21: 12:02am On Dec 18, 2019
josh123:
Tie the affected part with rope and drink chilled water to slow the venom
drinking water will make the poison to flow faster, the person will die. Instead drink spirit like squadron or chelsea
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by xcelentattitude(m): 12:04am On Dec 18, 2019
Lynx001:
Lyk the woman wìth the flow of blood who touch jesus garment and was healed. the pesin shuld touch lala's garment. The venom flow will stop.

Lala koor! Gala ni
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by GoldHorse(m): 12:05am On Dec 18, 2019
Read about Activated Charcoal.
Contact me if you need.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nature8(m): 12:08am On Dec 18, 2019
TheArchangel:

Keep the person as calm as possible. Anxiety increases heart rate and increased heart rate will circulate the venom faster to all part of the body. kiss
Keep the part lower to decrease the circulation of the venom.
Tying of a tourniquet is no longer recommended as the part may lack blood supply and die.

If it is a poisonous snake, get a sharp machete and hack that part off.

GET TO A TEACHING HOSPITAL OR THE BIGGEST HOSPITAL IN YOUR STATE FOR ANTI-VENOM IF YOU GET BITTEN.
PAY WHATEVER YOU ARE TOLD TO...... NO BARGAIN.
WITH ULTRA POISONOUS SNAKES LIKE boomslangs, spitting cobra, puff adder etc, YOU MAY HAVE ONLY MINUTES TO LIVE.

Hmm
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by healthserve(m): 12:11am On Dec 18, 2019
GoldHorse:
Read about Activated Charcoal.
Contact me if you need.

Yes as a Solvent but how does activated charcoal separate between body fluids and poison to sort and extract them from the body
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 18, 2019
livebyday:
If it's any of the following there's nothing you can do because these snakes venoms kill.in less than 4 minutes

Puff adder
Black momba
Spitting cobra
Coral snake ( I think )

I can't remember the others

If any of these bites the person, just say your last prayers and lay down comfortably, there's no point dying in an uncomfortable position is there ?

No snake venom can kill a human in even an hour. Suffiri, brother.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by EMDIEY: 12:27am On Dec 18, 2019
dawnomike:
1 - Tightly tie the upper region and lower region of the bite wit a rope to reduce the venom flow into the blood stream...

2 - Cut open the bite areawit a knife or blade and try to such out d venom

3 - place a cut of onions on d region.

NB: Do all d above while rushing the victim to the hospital
This is the worst advice given with so much confidence. If u tie a bite site u are only making it worse as there would be high tissue concentration of venom around bite site and subsequently irreversible tissue damage. And the onions is it to garnish the venom? And cutting open bite site with knife will will further worsen it cos no way u are going to remove venom in circulation by bleeding. The venom travels fast following a bite in seconds, so cutting open will not change anything.
Steps to take is to
Re-assure the victim not to panic, as anxiety increases heart rate and venom circulation.
If possible immobilize the affected part to slow down blood flow.
Rush as fast as possible to the nearest facility with antivenom.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Adalasy: 12:28am On Dec 18, 2019
Kalixx:

No snake venom can kill a human in even an hour. Suffiri, brother.

Wrong. The Black mamba venom can kill you within 20 to 30mins while the Inland taipans venom kills in less than an hour
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Adalasy: 12:30am On Dec 18, 2019
livebyday:
If it's any of the following there's nothing you can do because these snakes venoms kill.in less than 4 minutes

Puff adder
Black momba
Spitting cobra
Coral snake ( I think )

If any of these bites the person, just say your last prayers and lay down comfortably, there's no point dying in an uncomfortable position is there ?

No snake venom can kill you in 4 minutes. The average is between 20 mins to a few hours depending on the volume of venom injected into the person
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by NwsBoy: 12:35am On Dec 18, 2019
biggy26:

Snake cannot go to a place where there is bitter kola...

If you are in the bush with bitter kola snakes will stay far away from you.....not to talk of biting you

Snakes also hate SALT.

Bitter kola can also reduce the effect of food/drink poisoning if you properly chew and swallow it.

If you are drinking bear chew and leave small bitter kola in your mouth while drinking......you will not be drunk.

Guy bitter kola does a lot of things.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by NwsBoy: 12:43am On Dec 18, 2019
biggy26:

You can also ask google

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by LyfeJennings(m): 1:06am On Dec 18, 2019
tohyorsih2:
Tie the affected part and lick Aporo Epa Ijebu

Walahi
Ode ni e
Lmao
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by 400billionman: 1:13am On Dec 18, 2019
Coldfeets:
All these ones no go work if na mamba or rattle snake bite you o!

Luckily, mamba and rattlesnake no dey naija.

14 feet green mambas are in Nigeria.

Say what you know.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Akanoaaa(m): 1:21am On Dec 18, 2019
Tightly tie the upper region and lower region of the bite wit a rope to
reduce the venom flow into the blood stream, Cut open the bite with a knife or blade and try to such out the venom, place a cut of onions on the region and eat uncooked walnut. with all that, you are completely safe.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by ForbesHomesNG(m): 1:23am On Dec 18, 2019
barnaby04:
Nigerians are never short of crude means of improvisation.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by 400billionman: 1:49am On Dec 18, 2019
livebyday:

Puff adder
Black momba
Spitting cobra
Coral snake ( I think )

Eating charcoal or something they call black stone will kill the poison. Never surrender to defeat.

Place charcoal on the bite spot and rub it hard. It sucks the poison.

Alternatively, drink Kerosene and rush to hospital.

Lime, Garlic, Ginger, Bitter Kola, palm oil, Onions are all natural Anti poisons people have at home yet they don't know. Eat good quantities of these things then....

Then rush the person to hospital.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by biggy26: 2:00am On Dec 18, 2019
NwsBoy:

Snake cannot go to a place where there is bitter kola...

If you are in the bush with bitter kola snakes will stay far away from you.....not to talk of biting you

Snakes also hate SALT.

Bitter kola can also reduce the effect of food/drink poisoning if you properly chew and swallow it.

If you are drinking bear chew and leave small bitter kola in your mouth while drinking......you will not be drunk.

Guy bitter kola does a lot of things.

Thanks man!
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 2:03am On Dec 18, 2019
Roozzaay:

oshee omo abaa wa cheesy cheesy

cool cool cool
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 2:04am On Dec 18, 2019
NevetsIbot:

People too dey think say Aporo Epa Ijebu na the answer to everything eh grin grin

We were brought up with that belief grin
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by 400billionman: 2:16am On Dec 18, 2019
kachistone:
My uncle got bitten by a snake some time ago (I think 2008) in Abuja. Mind you, the snake bit him in front of a hospital here in Abuja. The snake was from a heap of death very close to the hospital.

He killed the snake and got to the hospital and called another relation of ours that he (my uncle) had been bitten by a snake.

This our relation told my uncle to come over to his place which is just a stone throw from the hospital. That the hospital will waste time as it was in the night.

My uncle was given lots of onions at our relations place and a black stone was placed where he was bitten. I was told the black stone was imported from Israel.

My uncle told me that he felt the poison leaving his body as the black stone was placed there.

My uncle is still alive till today. I'm not advertising the black stone but my uncle is in the sitting room as I am typing now.

I have not seen the black stone but this is a true life story.

Yes, I have purchased that black stone before, I will look for it and find where I kept it.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by 400billionman: 2:30am On Dec 18, 2019
healthserve:

Forget all you're reading here. 4 litres of palm oil or coconut water in the same qua tity immediately dilutes the entire blood stream making it impossible for the venom to flow freely throughout the blood system. Once the blood stream is diluted with palm oil for example, forget it. This buys the victim up to 2 days sef.

No matter the poison, don't forget this information ever

You are very funny.

How can somebody drink 4 litres of palm oil ? Big EVA water is 1.5 litres.

It will take a normal person 2 days to drink 4 litres of WATER. Say less Palm oil.

Where will you get 50 coconuts to generate 4 litres of its water ?

Let's apply sense to our comments.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

How Do U Wash Your Viginal Those Of You That Fix Long Nails / 11.6kg Skin Removed From The Body Of A Cosmetic Surgery Patient In Lagos (Graphi / Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.