Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,624 members, 7,816,572 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25986 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by beardedboy(m): 8:40am On Dec 31, 2019
GraGra247:

There are no matters where cane is the only solution. Read the below till the end.

"Quoted":

Depending on the offence
I used to ground my children in the room
No toys
No cartoon (they will almost faint on this, especially when Tom and Jerry is one)
No juice
Shouting
Pick pin
Kneeling
Verbal Apology etc

additionally:

-withdraw phone or iPad

-withhold favourites: games, exciting
visits to friends and places.

-Withold his favorite food or drink(but give him a different kind of good food/drink nonetheless)

-Ground him: restrict him to his room for some hours when he's itching to move around.

All these and more can be applied interchangeably and will bring the most difficult kids to their knees.

If these won't work, flogging won't work either.
I don hear you sir/ma.
Experience, they say, is the best teacher. I pray you live long to witness the fruit of your decision.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 8:45am On Dec 31, 2019
beardedboy:

I don hear you sir/ma.
Experience, they say, is the best teacher. I pray you live long to witness the fruit of your decision.

There are many kids that were flogged all their lives but yet turned out very wicked, hardened, rebellious, joined cult and criminal activities.

So its a fact that if my recommendations above won't work, flogging won't work either.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by beardedboy(m): 8:49am On Dec 31, 2019
GraGra247:

There are many kids that were flogged all their lives but yet turned out very wicked, hardened, rebellious, joined cult and criminal activities.

So its a fact that if my recommendations above won't work, flogging won't work either.

Fallacious argument.

There are many sick people who were admitted to the best hospitals and treated by the best doctors in the world, yet they didn't survive.

There are many drivers who used their seatbelts and observed the speed limits, yet they ended up in crash.

There are many students who studied hard and read day and night yet they didn't get admission to any school.

undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Dominatrix(f): 9:10am On Dec 31, 2019
For someone like me that's a very effective form of discipline LOL.

But parents should never flog their kids.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 9:20am On Dec 31, 2019
beardedboy:

Fallacious argument.

There are many sick people who were admitted to the best hospitals and treated by the best doctors in the world, yet they didn't survive.

There are many drivers who used their seatbelts and observed the speed limits, yet they ended up in crash.

There are many students who studied hard and read day and night yet they didn't get admission to any school.

undecided undecided undecided

Your argument doesn't follow cos I provided a better alternative.

Your argument will only stand if there was no disciplinary alternative.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 31, 2019
eduman365:

Crime is common to every society. Compare Nigeria to other developing countries like India and South Africa where rape is the order of the day and you'll realize the country is not so bad.

I know you're probably a lesbian, cos that statement hit you differently. But only God can judge and I'm nobody to downgrade you.
Now you're talking, instead of acting like Nigeria is Perfect because our parents beat us at the slightest provocation and the west is thrash because they don't beat. Every society has its own problems.

PS even if you judged me or downgraded me, I wouldn't care. That one is on you.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 31, 2019
HannahHitler:
Now you're talking, instead of acting like Nigeria is Perfect because our parents beat us at the slightest provocation and the west is thrash because they don't beat. Every society has its own problems.

PS even if you judged me or downgraded me, I wouldn't care. That one is on you.

All the best dear. Jesus loves you.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Amumaigwe: 9:26am On Dec 31, 2019
socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.

It is actually you that are misguided. The term 'rod' there represents flogging as a means of correction and discipline. Read Pv 29:19
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by streetfabulous: 9:32am On Dec 31, 2019
hush15:

Corruption can be a end result of bad training but not all bad upbring can lead to a corrupt personality.

Let's not forget that there is also the influence of learning environment, peer pressure, social influence, religious influence, political influence. The first school of every child is the parent and most parents in recent times are failing in their responsibilities, nonetheless, like the old saying goes, if you don't learn at home, you will learn from outside
The discipline in child upbringing should help them make the right decision in the midst of all such influences you raised. If these influences can still pervert them to become corrupt inspite of all the discipline, then that discipline was ineffective and without purpose afore-thought.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by thinkmoney(m): 9:46am On Dec 31, 2019
GraGra247:

Read my comments and posts of yesterday. Have done that already.
kk
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Amanda4life: 9:47am On Dec 31, 2019
Simplyleo:
Though I don't know a better alternative, I won't accept flogging of my child in school.

Education professionals should come up with a better alternative. undecided

If your child come my class I go flog am so te urine go comot for him body

Or better still a good knock on his head will relieve .my anger

What do you � think?
I hope this is not too small
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Simplyleo: 9:54am On Dec 31, 2019
Amanda4life:

If your child come my class I go flog am so te urine go comot for him body

Or better still a good knock on his head will relieve .my anger

What do you � think?
I hope this is not too small
The good thing here is that you used "if".

Of course, there are so many "ifs" around the world.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NwaMbeke: 10:03am On Dec 31, 2019
[s]
Simplyleo:

The good thing here is that you used "if".

Of course, there are so many "ifs" around the world.
[/s]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by evy800(f): 10:03am On Dec 31, 2019
tchidi066:
I don't believe in flogging... There is something called positive and negative reinforcement

If u have been with kids who defy positive or negative reinforcement then u will know flogging has a salient role in a child's upbringing...
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by bukatyne(f): 11:00am On Dec 31, 2019
Flogging has always been effective.

However, we flog to replace training instead of instilling discipline.

After training a child and he/she strays from training, then correct in appropriate means (flogging, advice, physical punishments, withdrawal of some privileges) etc.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by bbjayone(f): 11:07am On Dec 31, 2019
twhy111:
I can't swear that I'm not going to flog my child in the future, but definitely not to the point of inflicting injuries on he/she.

But I'm quick to dash out slap ooo!
My siblings can relate

HAHAHAHAHA

i follow for dis one oooooo

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 31, 2019
socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.
Proverbs 23
13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by tck2000(m): 11:54am On Dec 31, 2019
enemyofprogress:
All i know be sey Jesus flog some people comot for temple to reset their brains
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by tck2000(m): 11:56am On Dec 31, 2019
enemyofprogress:
All i know be sey Jesus flog some people comot for temple to reset their brains
lol
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by tck2000(m): 11:58am On Dec 31, 2019
alcuin:
People are saying "good communication". Good communication for children that don't have sense?

Buhahaha
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by tck2000(m): 11:59am On Dec 31, 2019
Jokerman:
My first son will chop cane... No matter what grin
lol,i support you.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by DenreleDave(m): 12:21pm On Dec 31, 2019
GraGra247:

"Quoted":

Depending on the offence
I used to ground my children in the room
No toys
No cartoon (they will almost faint on this, especially when Tom and Jerry is one)
No juice
Shouting
Pick pin
Kneeling
Verbal Apology etc

additionally:

-withdraw phone or iPad

-withhold favourites: games, exciting
visits to friends and places.

-Withold his favorite food or drink(but give him a different kind of good food/drink nonetheless)

-Ground him: restrict him to his room for some hours when he's itching to move around.

All these and more can be applied interchangeably and will bring the most difficult kids to their knees.

If these won't work, flogging won't work either.

Bros, either of any.. Flogging is different from caning...
Caning is correction, flogging is transfer of aggression and frustration
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Farki: 12:50pm On Dec 31, 2019
Flogging is the result of Nigerian ignorance, laziness and need for fear and control. Some people will turn out bad regardless of if you flog them or not, but in this country (and also this forum judging by the ignorant comments) we believe that flogging is the solution to all problems. Sha I don't blame them, their critical thinking skills have been flogged out of them and they take everything like meek dogs.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by beardedboy(m): 2:15pm On Dec 31, 2019
GraGra247:

Your argument doesn't follow cos I provided a better alternative.

Your argument will only stand if there was no disciplinary alternative.
Good luck.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 2:15pm On Dec 31, 2019
m140:

Arindin

....that you are.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by DenreleDave(m): 2:49pm On Dec 31, 2019
dammiedot:
Just telling a child these days to face the wall or go to the naughty corner hurts them really bad. My parents flogged me a lot and that didn't do much. Now I tell punish my child or deprive her of some activity she loves and that super really hurts her and I then have a discussion with her to understand why she was punished and we are good. Flogging has not helped anybody since a long time.
[s]
dammiedot:
Just telling a child these days to face the wall or go to the naughty corner hurts them really bad. My parents flogged me a lot and that didn't do much. Now I tell punish my child or deprive her of some activity she loves and that super really hurts her and I then have a discussion with her to understand why she was punished and we are good. Flogging has not helped anybody since a long time.
[/s]
dammiedot:

Flogging has not helped you, it has helped many many of us since ages and it will continue to help our children

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 31, 2019
I will try and instill the discipline in my first child...Na hin go train the younger ones..

Will just be there to supervise undecided wink
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by hopismo2000: 3:51pm On Dec 31, 2019
NiCurious:

Have you thought in schools, or taught in schools? Are you indeed a teacher?
For heaven's sake, rape and manslaughter are criminal issues, not for a teacher to deal with by caning!
As for unseriousness…send the student out of class, with assignments still due, without her benefitting from the lectures...either she will fail because she is unserious, or beg to return to class because she is ready to become serious. Either way, the disruption in class will stop, and when she takes the decision to return...it will not be by force, but by the beginning of wisdom.
I have taught in more than seven schools truly... the truth is no single method can be said to be effective.... It is usually easy to say it on social media and by mouth but when you are confronted with real problems in class it might be a different ball game.... Don't get me wrong, I can't guarantee that beating can solve all problems it can solve some and it may make some students worse.... A teacher must be dynamic, dynamic in the sense that different method should be introduced based on the type of the child you are dealing with..... Many students aren't serious and are seriously waiting to be sent out so that they can play some more.... Some student fear cane so much that even if you don't touch them with it , the mere sight of it can make them behave.... Teachers and parents should always use their discretions correctly and understand the fact that punishment, caning and other measures are meant to correct in extreme cases but not to kill....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by beeznitfizo: 4:24pm On Dec 31, 2019
[size=13pt] MY OPINION FROM THE NIGERIAN WORLD VIEW[br/]
This can best be understood when child development is divided into 4 stages beginning from when the child becomes conscious of its existence, environment, and reaches a stage muscular development to make conscious tactile impressions on its surroundings to when its attains adolescence (In Nigerian context for me-Secondary School(After WAEC) and 18 for those wey no dey school (adolescent wey dey cater for himself n lives by himself no follow-e don become adult))
Pre-Nursery Stage-(1yrs - 3yrs): At this stage the child is still learning and adjusting to his environment. its comprehension of right and wrong is not yet fully developed because its yet to master its environment. For me, kids at this stage should never be flogged when they err but a careful tap on the bombom when you want to make them understand certain ideas beyond their comprehension about bad things or behavior they do that are unacceptable. They tend to understand better with a tap or stern voice and face. Tap,verbal coercion and coaxing should be employed here.
Kindergarten Stage- (3yrs - 6yrs): At this stage, they are still mastering the human development process. Cane at this stage should never be used. From experience, most grave errors committed at this stage by kids are as a result of the lapses of their guardians bc their mind is not fully matured enough to deal with it. I remember while I was still in kindergarten I and my friend dey press one girl kponyo for class everyday. We knew it was not right bc we dey hide dey do am but we really didn't know what we were doing bt it was good doing it. At this point basic rules should be constantly hammered to them-during family prayers etc. Only verbal and other means should be used(scolding, denial of toys etc) when they err.
Primary School Stage-(as the child enters primary 1 to Primary 3) For me, My own idea ooo. Cane can and should be allowed freely here. As a Nigerian with a strong parental upbringing, Cane should be employed well well as deem deem fit from primary 3 because here the child's comprehension of good and bad is almost complete.
Junior Secondary School Stage- ( as the child enters JSS1) Cane shouldn't allowed here because they are now fully conscious beings. As an instructor of children for years, I have observed that the most effective way for correcting a child is to give him punishment. After school vacates for the term, students in our punishment register stay back some for about 2 weeks longer doing punishment(u go pack dustbin eeeh ur back go break). Day students come and do theirs too from home. Its a very strict rule and back breaking and they hate it. Graver offences may warrant packing one tipper of sand with shovel. U hardly see students mess up. Fight- lia lia-dem no born d person well.
For parents, flogging should be discouraged at this stage. As a parent, If you can cane ur child at this stage, y not punish him instead.
Senior Secondary School Stage- ( as the child enters SSS1) For parents, Never,Never,Never flog ur child at this stage. Words, encouragement, teaching, and 'cracking brain' on them etc should be only used.
Remember when my first daughter(14) was forming strong head and my wife had to call me in early. Wifey was complaining how she shouted back at her after she gave her instructions. After wife don para finish, I called her and told her to bring her phone. See as I rush go outside throw d phone for ground use big block knack am like 7 times come still fling am inside gutter.To make her reason d matter I still come use my bare hand pack sand dey rub for my head dey shout-"this girl wants to make me mad".I dey outside dey make fake call to confuse her brain-dey complain on d fake call while talking to her indirectly. My daughter has never seen me mad like that before, but all na acting sha. After that day she knew that was a no go area. But if say na flog....She fit challenge u sef and run comot.
Abeg NO FLOGGING AT and AFTER THIS STAGE

[/size]

NiCurious:

...Give them unpleasant jobs that they normally take for granted that someone else will do. The temporary inconvenience of a flogging is nothing, compared to the prolonged discomfort of being "in trouble". The flogging can be endured, forgotten. Being in disgrace, not so much.
hopismo2000:

I have thought in schools for more than 7 years...
chukzyfcbb:
At the start of my Nysc year, I said I was never going to flog any student. I wanted to try this concept of discipline from another angle.

My oh My! Because they knew at first I never would use the cane, they took my class for granted talking at will, then I switched up and unleashed the dragon smiley
...I flogged anyone who would cross the line, however at the same time I spent most of my NYSC Alloweee buying gifts for those who would do well in my Test and exams.
Ironically that made me liked despite the flogging, so I will say strike a balance!A PERFECT SCENARIO YOU WLD GET IN A NIGERIAN SETTING. NO MATTER HOW GOOD AND LOGICAL THE REASON, FOR NOW, CANNING CAN'T BE RULED OUT FOR NAIJA
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[quote THERE ARE NO FIXED RULES ]
safarigirl:
I've learnt that there is really no hard and fast rule with children

I recommend finding the perfect disciplinary method depending on the child. Some kids are receptive to scolding and some others require flogging. Find the disciplinary method perfect for the child, notice what works best for each child, just because they are all kids does not mean the same thing will work across board

So, yeah, depending on the kid, caning could work with some, others just a few words and for a select few, a combination of both. It's like people who prefer injection to pills and vice versa

Nwaonyishi69:
All these are aimed at modifying or shaping the child to be a good child. There is a need for variation of the approaches adopted. So, in some extreme cases, flogging or even using physical beating may be suitable. As is held from the old, if you spare the Cane you will spoil the child. Everything possible should be done to make out the best form of humans from your wards.

There is always variations because of differences. Children/people are different.This must be understood

[/quote]
--------------------------------------------
[quote COUNTRY NO GOOD ]
destinychildolu:

And they are the Same children that grow to make new discoveries and innovations. With our so called discipline, our children grow up to become fantastically corrupt.

eduman365:

Parental discipline is not the reason for underdevelopment. Politics is the reason, there is a leadership problem in the country, so don't mix things up. If you want to support bad behaviour, say something else...
Beautyaddy:

That's a Big Lie!

Corruption and Lawlessness has a lot to do with how a child was raised.

Beautyaddy:

So the many adults today(which I am sure are most of the people we have governing Nigeria) don't have sense... so can fogging them now make them have sense
HannahHitler:
homosexuality sha entered the conversation from no where!!!! Lmao. So you want to beat a gay child till he turns straight ABI? Just negodu. Upon the beating in Nigeria, just see how your country is filled with criminals and lawlessness.
Beautyaddy:

I am sure most of those corrupts and lawless adults governing the affairs of Nigeria were flogged when they were kids too but as we can see it ended up making them hardened to corrections to do what is right under the law.
Vacora:
Flogging upandan, una get light sef? No be una leaders dey ‘fantastically corrupt’ upon all the flogging dem receive in the days of old?

I agree with eduman365: Don't ever think the white people are more scrupulous than we are. Infact we are better than them in terms of morals that is why u see abhorrent things never even thought of in Africa are practiced there. Believe me the white man is more corrupt than we are (quote me: trans atlantic-slave trade, international wars for economic interest etc) just that they have installed sound institutions that checkmate corrupt practices and this serves as a deterrent. Why do u think when they come to Nigeria they follow our normal style of kill and divide but in their country they dare not. Our politicians involved in the Halliburton scandal are still out contesting elections, y same white people who were involved were sentenced in their country. U just don't go to white man land and do anyhow. They have built strong institutions to checkmate fraud and corruption.

[/quote]
------------------------------------------------
[quote DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE ]
Trutherme:
I would have amounted to nothing without the flogging I got from my mum and grandmother
The fear of waking me up at 2 am in the morning and giving me a dose of it was the beginning of wisdom for me.

Ironically, I grew up to love and admire both of them for making me who I am today.
ClassicMG:
Don't ever beat a child no matter what, I nearly lost my self esteem due to my parent floging
RuddyFusion:
I don't I communicate and build relationship with my little one and it works better than flogging
dammiedot:
Beedude:

And u think homosexuality and lack of respect is our major task to tackle? Or are we better morally and academically than the whites?. I believe all the Cultist, kidnappers, ritualist, agbero, olosho, militant, herds men, and boko haram in Nigeria were not canned when growing up? I'm an Educationist and haven't use a cane on anyone for more than 5yrs now. It is better to train a child with love than turning them to baboons with our archaic means of correction. No child is born an animal, they just need adequate protection, monitoring and be enlightened as they grow.
As can be observed from the posts above, What works for Mr. A might not work for Mr. B

[/quote]
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by m140(m): 6:26pm On Dec 31, 2019
Beautyaddy:

....that you are.
Nawa ooo, it's online people like you fit talk, if you see me you no go wait

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

What Is That Thing You Don't Pray Your Children Inherits From You? / Bauchi Governor Marries A 4th Wife / Obituary Of Mother And Her 2 Children Killed In Fire Accident In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.