Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,540 members, 7,816,314 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25979 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 30, 2019
What is the meaning of the "rod" in the bible proverb?

Niaja4real:

You can never be wiser than God... Spare the rod and spoil the child. Proverbs. 23 vs 13 & 14.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 30, 2019
Thank you so much for explaining this. misunderstanding of this is why we have turned our children to donkeys. No other race on earth beats and mutilates children except Africans, are our kids better off, more courageous in the face of tyranny? This spare the rod crap is what racist whites in africa used to justify their inhuman treatment of our children cause they were black. Before the evil white man came with this evil justification parents corrected their children with mainly patient teaching and correction maybe a raised voice but now i see babies having their bodies mutilated in the name of discipline. It needs to stop!

socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 30, 2019
You are ABSOLUTELY correct

GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 30, 2019
Good answer. But it needs further revelation of the mystery rod. Any person can be a guider of a child but there is a way, truth and life to follow because without it, the child is a like loaded car without someone driving it. Lemme stop here

socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 9:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
alcuin:

Of course, you can't go around flogging adults.

But children in their formative ages need to learn early enough that there are punitive measures for wrong behaviour. And these punitive measures do not exclude getting their asses severely whooped.

That's the point.

It seems you are suggesting corporal punishment is more effective than other forms of discipline.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by sprints1: 9:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.
u better Go and sit down flogging is the best and effective way to discipline an African child forget the rubbish norm saying flogging is bad it I part of our culture I don't know why this current millennial is trying to remove the important part of disciplining an African child..should be done in moderation and for ME it is totally acceptable but not to be abused

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Juliearth(f): 9:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
I may never resort to flogging my children as a way of disciplining them. We hope to have a reward system for every good deed...what better way to punish a child than he or she losing a few points and dropping a position or two on the table? No sane child would love to be relegated.
Another method may be to find out toys/ activities that they like using/doing. The mere thought that their actions and inactions could cost them that toy or activity may keep them on their toes.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Amalekki: 9:59pm On Dec 30, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

Necessity for having sense.
The very simple logic here still flew right over your head with all the flogging you received. Have a good day kiddo. Not worth a second of the time grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by sprints1: 10:02pm On Dec 30, 2019
post=85357708:
Flogging is so old school.

Good communication with your kids is the KEY.

And for the extra stubborn kids (we have them also) make sure they know the offense they have commited and give them one two 'phiam phiam' on the buttocks....never more than 3!!

We haven't and won't do that to our Jewels anyways
am taking my time to reply people on this thread against flogging.. Please dont listen to them..This is African dont let civilization fool you.. Flogging will shape your child' behaviour.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by pekisdgee(m): 10:05pm On Dec 30, 2019
In short, spanking a child may seem helpful in the short term, but is ineffective and probably harmful in the long term. The child who is often spanked learns that physical force is an acceptable method of problem solving.

There are different kind of Children. Study your child and know the mode of discipline that he/she adheres to most. Some children does not like to be beaten, but the moment you talk sense into their brain,they llisten and change their ways, some listen more to instruction through punishment, while some r through beating. All these are various forms of discipline

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by sprints1: 10:05pm On Dec 30, 2019
Juliearth:
I may never resort to flogging my children as a way of disciplining them. We hope to have a reward system for every good deed...what better way to punish a child than he or she losing a few points and dropping a position or two on the table? The sane child would love to be relegated.
Another method may be to find out toys/ activities what they like using/doing. The mere thought that their actions and inactions could cost them that toy or activity may keep them on their toes.
Talking about BF Skinner' method of reinforcement it works but flogging is the most effective way to discipline a child but don't abuse it.. I have seen parents who saved their children's life through spanking.. Infact they are more disciplined. Some people flog and yet the child still misbehaves.. If done correctly it is the best way to discipline a child
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Sammyl93(m): 10:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging is an effective way of discipline a child and there is no other effective way to do it and once you spare the rod you spoil the child this is straight forward and not an ambiguous statement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by sprints1: 10:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
thotsofnaij:
Thank you so much for explaining this. misunderstanding of this is why we have turned our children to donkeys. No other race on earth beats and mutilates children except Africans, are our kids better off, more courageous in the face of tyranny? This spare the rod crap is what racist whites in africa used to justify their inhuman treatment of our children cause they were black. Before the evil white man came with this evil justification parents corrected their children with mainly patient teaching and correction maybe a raised voice but now i see babies having their bodies mutilated in the name of discipline. It needs to stop!

when a child is mutilated it becomes violence you can flog your child without scar or whatsoever. I dont get your time even cacausians beat their children don't be fooled by what you see online.. This is Africa. The best way to correct your child here especially in Nigeria is Flogging..Flogging Our Culture You Have Taught A Lot Life...most important people in the world right now where victims of flogging but why castigate it now is what I don't understand

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Sammyl93(m): 10:11pm On Dec 30, 2019
socialmediaman:

You don't show the sheep the rod you flog them because naturally the sheep are always considered foolish and you need the rod to keep them on track, same as little kids who don't know there left from their right.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 10:12pm On Dec 30, 2019
safarigirl:

Sweden is not Nigeria, different races, different genetic make ups, different diet, different climate, different culture.

Learn that you cannot use one society to explain another, just like you cannot use one form of discipline for all children, you need to consider various factors. You are committing a fallacy of generalization.

It seems like you are trying to bend me to your way of thinking which is impossible.

Secondly are you aware of the fact that many advanced countries have followed suit, as a matter of fact the smartest country in Africa - south Africa have also outlawed this archaic form of discipline in their schools

Please compare the way and manner our youth behave with their counterparts in these developed countries, the impact is clear to the blind.

Lastly, to the best of my knowledge there are lots of methods to discipline a naughty child, if so why are most Nigeria parents sticking to CP?

Studies have shown that children who had a violent and rough up-bringing not only turned out to be terrible adults but also to their future partners.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by sprints1: 10:12pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:

How about someone who's parent never laid a hand on him ( discipline him through engaging in discussions with him and other smart methods) and he later turned out to be a Great man in life?

Flogging is terrible parenting, in fact it should be an offence just like an assault.
see what book has turned this one too.. you think it is by English..There are some children that are just impeccable to a point will u flog those ones..So don't compare.. Some children are generally stubborn and the best way to deal with them is by flogging

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NiCurious: 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2019
For those in favour of flogging...why is it that there are children who are flogged, yet who grow up "undisciplined" or "immoral", while other children who were not flogged, grow up with discipline and a strong moral compass?
Flogging is not a substitute for guidance, explanation of why to do or not do something, nor proper training; and it is certainly not a substitute for leading by example.
At best, flogging conditions a behaviour through fear, but not by teaching how it is good to behave this way or that. Think about it. Which do you respond to better? "I wash the dishes right after supper, because otherwise I will be flogged" versus "I wash the dishes right after supper, because it is my job in the family, to keep the kitchen clean for mother, so it is ready for when she cooks for us." Which method do you think is more likely to lead to the child spontaneously choosing to be helpful in other ways?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 10:15pm On Dec 30, 2019
safarigirl:

What comprehensive study? You have not stated how this study was conducted, which regions they conducted them at, the children that made up the sample pot.

I had my own share of corporal punishments as a child and I turned out fine, many others who did will tell you same, nobody from any paediatric society ever took a sample from my neighborhood, so, which experiment did they do? Did they take a sample from Nigeria? Did they take a sample from Kenya, Jamaica, Granada?

What makes their experiment comprehensive? Because they tested 100-1000 out of over a billion people and came up with purported results?

If you know what comprehensive means, you won't be throwing the term about loosely. I did not say people should break their children's heads here, some of you assume the worst when corporal punishment is mentioned.

I doubt you have sufficient experience with children, else, you would not be telling me about some experiment by whoever.
Your baseless assumptions just made you sound ridiculous.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

And it is Grenada - a country, not Granada(which is a city In Spain) grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 10:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
Odunolumide:

Do you teach?
yeah , as a matter of fact little kids.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by chukwugoziegi: 10:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
Trutherme:
I would have amounted to nothing without the flogging I got from my mum and grandmother
The fear of waking me up at 2 am in the morning and giving me a dose of it was the beginning of wisdom for me.

Ironically, I grew up to love and admire both of them for making me who I am today.

Those 2am surprise beating made me who I am today. I used to think my mother hated me then but looking back now, it was for a reason.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 10:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
Equity15:
I also thought so too when I first starting teaching. in fact I engage the whole class in reasonable discussions almost everytime they err but it all fell on deaf ears. maybe they aren't used to reasonable discussions as a form of discipline from thier home, I wouldn't know. but I switched to spanking and they've been behaving normal.
So what is your final verdict on this issue?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 10:18pm On Dec 30, 2019
sprints1:
see what book has turned this one too.. you think it is by English..There are some children that are just impeccable to a point will u flog those ones..So don't compare.. Some children are generally stubborn and the best way to deal with them is by flogging
Trying hard to justify how colossal of a bully you are?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by sprints1: 10:19pm On Dec 30, 2019
NiCurious:
For those in favour of flogging...why is it that there are children who are flogged, yet who grow up "undisciplined" or "immoral", while other children who were not flogged, grow up with discipline and a strong moral compass?
Flogging is not a substitute for guidance, explanation of why to do or not do something, nor proper training; and it is certainly not a substitute for leading by example.
At best, flogging conditions a behaviour through fear, but not by teaching how it is good to behave this way or that. Think about it. Which do you respond to better? "I wash the dishes right after supper, because otherwise I will be flogged" versus "I wash the dishes right after supper, because it is my job in the family, to keep the kitchen clean for mother, so it is ready for when she cooks for us." Which method do you think is more likely to lead to the child spontaneously choosing to be helpful in other ways?
see them ooo pioneers of Laissez-faire approach to discipline... I see baseless points listed above.. You were flogged during your days but now you are against it.. Flogging is an SCT of drilling a child let the child feel the pain of doing something bad..my child stole money and you think I wont beat the child blue black..abeg stop this nonsense campaign of saying flogging is wrong...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by hopismo2000: 10:21pm On Dec 30, 2019
[url][/url]
socialmediaman:
Many parents believe the 'good old way' of flogging and inflicting pain and fear on kids and nannies is still the best way of achieving discipline in them, while other parents have moved on to other 'effective' means, claiming the 'good old ways' are either no longer effective or never were and should have not been used by our parents in the first place.

My questions to guide this conversation are:

1. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a child? Why?

2. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a nanny? Why?

3. What other method(s) do you consider effective for achieving discipline on a child or nanny? Why?

It's okay to focus your response on a child or nanny or both.
socialmediaman:
Many parents believe the 'good old way' of flogging and inflicting pain and fear on kids and nannies is still the best way of achieving discipline in them, while other parents have moved on to other 'effective' means, claiming the 'good old ways' are either no longer effective or never were and should have not been used by our parents in the first place.

1. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a child? Why?

2. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a nanny? Why?

3. What other method(s) do you consider effective for achieving discipline on a child or nanny? Why?

socialmediaman:

I have thought in schools for more than 7 years... for those that said caning should not be used... what would you do if you do if you have a serial raper as your students? what would you do if you told a student to stand up because of her unseriousness in the class and she tells you no.... what would you do if a student fatally injure another student and you are reported to... and these are students you constantly preach to
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by chukwugoziegi: 10:22pm On Dec 30, 2019
aminusodiq:
If my palle no beat me.. I go worst i swear!!! Thanks to him fr d beatings, dos canes, belts, hanger, wires did a good job on me!!! Dey made sturburness disappear grin

I dey pick that year. My parents always give me the option of choosing between Belt, Pankere, Turn Garri or Hanger. Lol! Good old days.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Equity15(m): 10:22pm On Dec 30, 2019
chukzyfcbb:

Don't mind those fellas. I use to say the same thing too, i would never flog. I would caution them, i would tell them to kneel down i would do this i would d that, baba when I teach for 1year, nobody tell me.

That cane is to reset brains to factory settings
lmao..I swear bro, you go talk taya
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by sprints1: 10:24pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:
Trying hard to justify how colossal of a bully you are?
If you knew my profession u would have withdrawn that statement.. I am not a bully I just don't tolerate indiscipline.. Mind the way you use words that is a powerful word that is compromising..
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Equity15(m): 10:24pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:
So what is your final verdict on this issue?
I have already aired it in my first post you quoted.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by socialmediaman: 10:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
hopismo2000:
[url][/url][i][/i].....
I have taught in schools for more than 7 years... for those that said caning should not be used... what would you do if you do if you have a serial raper as your students? what would you do if you told a student to stand up because of her unseriousness in the class and she tells you no.... what would you do if a student fatally injure another student and you are reported to... and these are students you constantly preach to

Good questions. Maybe we could ask some teachers abroad what they do when kids act same exact way, don't you think? Because i know they face the exact same situation we face in Nigeria as well. I know there are child care services, punishments (like detention), suspension, denial of privileges like excursions etc. Remember that kids would hurt your ego sometimes, they will not follow your orders but you should control your anger and make them respect you, not fear you
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by sprints1: 10:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kizzygentle:
Never!!!.
I repeat never!!!

The best form of discipline is by verbal communication.
If d child does something bad call him/her and sit him/her down and softly tell d child that what he/she did is very wrong and can cause damage.
U could use a statement that sounds scary to scare d child. And then u pet d child after d correction. Trust me it works better than flogging.
But such method is often used by d rich only unfortunately.
verbal communication kiss kiss kiss pitiful..do u have kids.. Verbal communication with a child of 5-13 years..that works with k11 k12 children..Key stage 4
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 10:29pm On Dec 30, 2019
sprints1:
If you knew my profession u would have withdrawn that statement.. I am not a bully I just don't tolerate indiscipline.. Mind the way you use words that is a powerful word that is compromising..

Apologies.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Uchesis: 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2019
Only poor parents flog their children. Maybe they are still angry that the child is a burden to them. All a rich man needs to do is just ground the child from some goodies and pocket money and the job is done.
Those of you flogging ur kids, i hope u've secured their future first, bought landed properties for them and put things in place that would ensure they won't suffer in life. Then go ahead with ur flogging

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What Is That Thing You Don't Pray Your Children Inherits From You? / Bauchi Governor Marries A 4th Wife / Obituary Of Mother And Her 2 Children Killed In Fire Accident In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.