Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,486 members, 7,816,149 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25974 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by hopismo2000: 10:37pm On Dec 30, 2019
I have taught in schools for many years and if there is something that I have learnt it is that no one method is sufficient when dealing with a child. In extreme cases, caning may be needed.... for those that are clearly against beating.... They should realize the fact that students of nowadays are very intelligent.... I have a friend who always threaten his child that he would beat him if he misbehaves just to make him behave and it works until the child discovers that it's just an empty threat, this boy told his friends about his father's threat and how he knows that the father would never do such, I happened to hear the conversation and told the father, so when they got to where the father was the father just gave him a light beating . since then he understood that the father means business whenever he tells him to behave.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by streetfabulous: 10:40pm On Dec 30, 2019
Beautyaddy:

That's a Big Lie!

Corruption and Lawlessness has a lot to do with how a child was raised.
I totally agree. Trying to divorce corruption and lawlessness from child upbringing doesn't hold water. If one claims to have disciplined his/her kid and the child ends up a corrupt leader, then I dare say that such form of discipline was ineffective, a failure and a waste of time.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Lekison(m): 10:45pm On Dec 30, 2019
na we dey flog pass and na we still get dark mind pass....(common sense)

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by prodigyevans(m): 10:48pm On Dec 30, 2019
socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.

Prov 22:15.....
Prov 23:13-14.....
Prov 13:24.....
Prov 29:15.....
Prov 29:17.....
Help yourself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by thinkmoney(m): 10:50pm On Dec 30, 2019
GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.
give us alternatives please
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by aminusodiq(m): 11:05pm On Dec 30, 2019
chukwugoziegi:

I dey pick that year. My parents always give me the option of choosing between Belt, Pankere, Turn Garri or Hanger. Lol! Good old days.
na me break all d hangers fr house grin
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NiCurious: 11:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
sprints1:
see them ooo pioneers of Laissez-faire approach to discipline... I see baseless points listed above.. You were flogged during your days but now you are against it.. Flogging is an SCT of drilling a child let the child feel the pain of doing something bad..my child stole money and you think I wont beat the child blue black..abeg stop this nonsense campaign of saying flogging is wrong...

My parents didn't flog me, but I know what blows feel like. And supposing they flogged me as a child, and I was against it now--wouldn't that speak volumes about how useless and ineffective I found it?

I remember what worked, and why.

First, teach children from a young age not to steal. (Teach them what stealing IS, as the very youngest will have no understanding...nor will they have empathy yet, to understand what it is like to be stolen from.) The child stole something? Take them to the person they stole from, make them apologize to them in front of you, and give the thing back. They can't give back money they stole? Make them work to earn it, then take them to give it back. Go ahead and scold them. Go ahead and take back any privileges until they make reparation. Give them unpleasant jobs that they normally take for granted that someone else will do. The temporary inconvenience of a flogging is nothing, compared to the prolonged discomfort of being "in trouble". The flogging can be endured, forgotten. Being in disgrace, not so much.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beedude(m): 11:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
eduman365:
This might sound old school, but those countries where they refuse to discipline their children are the same countries with high rate of homosexuality and lack of respect for their parents...

If you like don't beat your children when they are wrong. For me I'm following what the bible teaches about discipline; spare the rod, spoil the child.
And u think homosexuality and lack of respect is our major task to tackle? Or are we better morally and academically than the whites?. I believe all the Cultist, kidnappers, ritualist, agbero, olosho, militant, herds men, and boko haram in Nigeria were not canned when growing up? I'm an Educationist and haven't use a cane on anyone for more than 5yrs now. It is better to train a child with love than turning them to baboons with our archaic means of correction. No child is born an animal, they just need adequate protection, monitoring and be enlightened as they grow.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Juliearth(f): 11:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
sprints1:
Talking about BF Skinner' method of reinforcement it works but flogging is the most effective way to discipline a child but don't abuse it.. I have seen parents who saved their children's life through spanking.. Infact they are more disciplined. Some people flog and yet the child still misbehaves.. If done correctly it is the best way to discipline a child

I totally understand your standpoint, but I still maintain that flogging is not the way out. I know a three year old who is so much used to flogging that she doesn't see it as punishment. She rebels deliberately at that age just to get some strokes of the cane, after which she would run to my room for some cupcakes.

Ditto, I am of the opinion that parents should apply a little bit psychology when it comes to retributive actions. Find out what interests the child and use that to make him straight. Carve out a reward system/ chart so much so that good deeds attract points and the opposite for bad deeds, have congress meetings monthly so your kids can fully express themselves without fear and you can do same. This should be a perfect avenue to discuss certain unruly behaviours of theirs and yet an avenue also, to commend the kids that are doing quite well on the chart.

You may also want to have an official email, which would serve as a medium for venting in case your kids are shy not to be able to express themselves during congress meetings.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
Beedude:

And u think homosexuality and lack of respect is our major task to tackle? Or are we better morally and academically than the whites?. I believe all the Cultist, kidnappers, ritualist, agbero, olosho, militant, herds men, and boko haram in Nigeria were not canned when growing up? I'm an Educationist and haven't use a cane on anyone for more than 5yrs now. It is better to train a child with love than turning them to baboons with our archaic means of correction. No child is born an animal, they just need adequate protection, monitoring and be enlightened as they grow.

Free world.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by jefff455: 11:39pm On Dec 30, 2019
eduman365:
This might sound old school, but those countries where they refuse to discipline their children are the same countries with high rate of homosexuality and lack of respect for their parents...

If you like don't beat your children when they are wrong. For me I'm following what the bible teaches about discipline; spare the rod, spoil the child.
wrong wrong wrong in Nigeria where children are so called discipline is where you have one of the highest rate of moral decadence prostitute's , drug addicts , highest rate of HIV infection

The phrase, "spare the rod and spoil the child" is not a Christian phrase and is not in the Bible. That phrase actually comes from a narrative poem written in the 1600s titled "Hudibras" by Samuel Butler

Flogging is old school and again in the so-called proverbs 23 that is being used to justify flogging
And proverbs 13 is just an advice and not a proven law that works for all families or children

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NiCurious: 11:43pm On Dec 30, 2019
Reference:
Violence is the preserve of the ignorant.
Parents that have to be physical with their kids do so because they lack the mental capacity and competence to 'train' and nuture. So the advice:

Plan well ahead of child bearing.
Start forming the mind and character early.
Have deliberate objectives and set specific goals.
Create the right domestic atmosphere for the nourishment of the mind.
Lead and live by example.

Big donot. Donot form the mentality of punishing what you may term wrongdoing and rewarding what you may term right behaviour. That is an unfortunate introduction to the destructive human nature of fear and greed. Donot trade with their minds. Rather reason with them exolaining why wrong is wrong and right is right, period. Appeal to their conscience as they grow into self consciousness.

This above, that you say so well--maturity of mind is needed to be a parent.
Raise the child up, don't beat him down. There's a big difference between the two.
A comparison I like to use is a fruit tree: (as the twig is bent, so the branch grows). You plant a tree that you want to bear fruit. Do you water it, pull out the weeds around it, fertilize it, and train the branches to the direction you want them to grow? Or do you stick the tree in the ground and ignore it until a branch pokes you, then cut off the branch because it annoys you, and keep doing that until there are no branches left?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by jefff455: 12:04am On Dec 31, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Yeah Right!

Keep believing your lies.

he is very right

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 31, 2019
jefff455:
wrong wrong wrong in Nigeria where children are so called discipline is where you have one of the highest rate of moral decadence prostitute's , drug addicts , highest rate of HIV infection

The phrase, "spare the rod and spoil the child" is not a Christian phrase and is not in the Bible. That phrase actually comes from a narrative poem written in the 1600s titled "Hudibras" by Samuel Butler

Flogging is old school and again in the so-called proverbs 23 that is being used to justify flogging
And proverbs 13 is just an advice and not a proven law that works for all families or children

okay sir... When you have yours, train them how you like.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NiCurious: 12:14am On Dec 31, 2019
hopismo2000:
[url][/url][i][/i].....
I have thought in schools for more than 7 years... for those that said caning should not be used... what would you do if you do if you have a serial raper as your students? what would you do if you told a student to stand up because of her unseriousness in the class and she tells you no.... what would you do if a student fatally injure another student and you are reported to... and these are students you constantly preach to

Have you thought in schools, or taught in schools? Are you indeed a teacher?
For heaven's sake, rape and manslaughter are criminal issues, not for a teacher to deal with by caning!
As for unseriousness…send the student out of class, with assignments still due, without her benefitting from the lectures...either she will fail because she is unserious, or beg to return to class because she is ready to become serious. Either way, the disruption in class will stop, and when she takes the decision to return...it will not be by force, but by the beginning of wisdom.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NiCurious: 12:21am On Dec 31, 2019
hopismo2000:
I have taught in schools for many years and if there is something that I have learnt it is that no one method is sufficient when dealing with a child. In extreme cases, caning may be needed.... for those that are clearly against beating.... They should realize the fact that students of nowadays are very intelligent.... I have a friend who always threaten his child that he would beat him if he misbehaves just to make him behave and it works until the child discovers that it's just an empty threat, this boy told his friends about his father's threat and how he knows that the father would never do such, I happened to hear the conversation and told the father, so when they got to where the father was the father just gave him a light beating . since then he understood that the father means business whenever he tells him to behave.....

It's the emptiness of the threat of discipline, that's the problem, whatever the threat happened to be.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Yakira(f): 12:56am On Dec 31, 2019
I don't know for y'all but I'm certain that if not for the flogging I received, my story would have been different .

I beat my siblings when they do certain nonsense too , I think it works better in this part of the world... Well that aside, what matters most is understanding your children and doing what works for you and them .
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Yakira(f): 1:03am On Dec 31, 2019
NiCurious:

Have you thought in schools, or taught in schools? Are you indeed a teacher?
For heaven's sake, rape and manslaughter are criminal issues, not for a teacher to deal with by caning!
As for unseriousness…send the student out of class, with assignments still due, without her benefitting from the lectures...either she will fail because she is unserious, or beg to return to class because she is ready to become serious. Either way, the disruption in class will stop, and when she takes the decision to return...it will not be by force, but by the beginning of wisdom.

About sending the student out of the class, I've taught before so I have a lil bit of experience, some students are actually waiting and praying for you to send them out, even during my secondary school days, We had classmates that would be glad to be sent out especially when it was a class or a teacher everyone dreaded

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by vivalavida(m): 1:07am On Dec 31, 2019
Pick pin
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by hush15: 1:15am On Dec 31, 2019
vickydankal:
If what you want to instil or inculcate in a child is discipline then for an African child flogging will be needed.

Unfortunately, we use flogging to vent anger in the place discipline.

Depending on the offence
I used to ground my children in the room
No toys
No cartoon (they will almost faint on this, especially when Tom and Jerry is one)
Flogging
No juice
Shouting
Pick pin
Kneeling
Verbal Apology etc
General beating (throwing of mop, spoon, slippers, etc)

It's not just an African thing, it's same worldwide. However, we need to know that flogging is just one of the many disciplinary measures and it must be used purposefully. Not all offense warrants flogging but when it does, please do else your kids will never take you serious....

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by jefff455: 1:18am On Dec 31, 2019
eduman365:

okay sir... When you have yours, train them how you like.
yes sir and who told you that I don't have

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by hush15: 1:22am On Dec 31, 2019
streetfabulous:

I totally agree. Trying to divorce corruption and lawlessness from child upbringing doesn't hold water. If one claims to have disciplined his/her kid and the child ends up a corrupt leader, then I dare say that such form of discipline was ineffective, a failure and a waste of time.

Corruption can be a end result of bad training but not all bad upbring can lead to a corrupt personality.

Let's not forget that there is also the influence of learning environment, peer pressure, social influence, religious influence, political influence. The first school of every child is the parent and most parents in recent times are failing in their responsibilities, nonetheless, like the old saying goes, if you don't learn at home, you will learn from outside

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by redsun(m): 2:00am On Dec 31, 2019
Flogging or any form of abuse of a child is cruel, violent, primitive, irrational and retrogressive. The end result is usually childlike but functional adults that depend on some form of delusional beliefs to feel whole, as well as violent and irrational adults that can't think of no rational solutions to problems, helpless, like average Nigerian adults.

Children copy the adults around them and the level of the adult's mentality, their level of rationality, creativity and general approach to life are what the children are going to emulate. No adaptable creature in the animal kingdom beats their offspring to teach them survival skills, not even lions.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NiCurious: 2:06am On Dec 31, 2019
Yakira:

About sending the student out of the class, I've taught before so I have a lil bit of experience, some students are actually waiting and praying for you to send them out, even during my secondary school days, We had classmates that would be glad to be sent out[b] especially when it was a class or a teacher everyone dreaded [/b]

Hmmm...some of that might be immaturity on the students' part, at least as far as a dreaded subject goes. Because it doesn't get easier to learn by not attending class.
BUT, when the[i] teacher[/i] is the cause of students wishing to be sent out...that is counter productive! So much for instilling understanding or a desire to learn...in such a case, it sounds like the teacher is a discredit to the school, and should consider a different profession. Imagine paying school fees to support a teacher who by their actions, effectively discourages students from attending class!

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Jidebabs88(m): 4:27am On Dec 31, 2019
socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.

This sounds good. Yet, I have a reasoning. A ROD is used for a SHEEP as u've well said, a SHEEP is a meek animal willing to accept & follow instructions but sometimes may want to go astray (remember Jesus' analogy of the lost sheep) but a SHEPHERD uses it's ROD TO CORRECT such sheep. Prov. 22:15.
In my own thoughts, as much as rod is to guide, yet rod is used as a 'corrective measure' that the child (sheep) might not turn to a goat. Spank sometimes with a good reason at heart & not out of ur weak state of anger. Thanks.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by m140(m): 4:36am On Dec 31, 2019
GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.
Tell us
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by m140(m): 4:36am On Dec 31, 2019
Simplyleo:
Though I don't know a better alternative, I won't accept flogging of my child in school.

Education professionals should come up with a better alternative. undecided
Help them
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by m140(m): 4:38am On Dec 31, 2019
socialmediaman:

Things they spoil you dey twist talk
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by m140(m): 4:41am On Dec 31, 2019
xpmode:
As long as i was raised with flogging, i will do same.

I spank a child to show him, there is consequences for doing something bad. But at first I start with warning directions and corrections, if that fails to bring the child to soberness, then follow disciplinary action.

I don't want to raise a child that will give me headaches tomorrow, especially in this generation that morality has been thrown under bus
Nice one
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by m140(m): 4:41am On Dec 31, 2019
punisha:
Flog, flog and keep flogging....the fear of flogging is the beginning of wisdom. If u think we'd tell u otherwise, pls kindly relocate to the US. It isn't just a part of our tradition it is an embraced lifestyle that guarantees effective reasoning and balanced thinking.

Go and check we may be fantastically corrupt but r still morally balanced than most developed countries. Our kids don't call us by our first names. Nor tell us fuu.uck u dad! China, Japan, South Korea still practise d act of flogging... Yes flog but not to inflict injuries but impact wisdom.

Flog on!
Good one
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by m140(m): 4:44am On Dec 31, 2019
Beautyaddy:
Flogging are for Animals.

Any human being who supports his/her child to be flogged is also an Animal.

There should be more sane and constructive ways to discipline a child and flogging is not one of them.
Arindin
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Midas01: 4:45am On Dec 31, 2019
So Japan, South Korea, Singapore,
UAE, Saudi Arabia, Scandavia and most of eastern Europe etc are third world countries?
KingAzubuike:
It's usually common in 3rd world countries. I just see it as a cruel , inhumane method of discipline. I see no reason why you should cause a child severe and unbearable pain all in the name of correction. I've seen 2 cases where kids were flogged to the extent that they gave up the ghost. It's just pathetic.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Woman Sleep On The Streets After Husband's Imprisonment, Due To Lack Of Money... / What Is The Problem Between Mothers And Their Daughter-In-Laws? / What Is That Thing You Don't Pray Your Children Inherits From You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.