Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,598 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25988 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by ITbomb(m): 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
No alternative mbok
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
destinychildolu:

And they are the Same children that grow to make new discoveries and innovations. With our so called discipline, our children grow up to become fantastically corrupt.

Parental discipline is not the reason for underdevelopment. Politics is the reason, there is a leadership problem in the country, so don't mix things up. If you want to support bad behaviour, say something else...

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by selfemployed(m): 8:29pm On Dec 30, 2019
socialmediaman:
Many parents believe the 'good old way' of flogging and inflicting pain and fear on kids and nannies is still the best way of achieving discipline in them, while other parents have moved on to other 'effective' means, claiming the 'good old ways' are either no longer effective or never were and should have not been used by our parents in the first place.

My questions to guide this conversation are:

1. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a child? Why?

2. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a nanny? Why?

3. What other method(s) do you consider effective for achieving discipline on a child or nanny? Why?

It's okay to focus your response on a child or nanny or both.

How will you feel as an adult if you are to be flogged as a punishment.

Flogging/beating is dehumanizing, insulting, abusive and should be abolished.

The aim of punishment should be to correct. One of the best ways to correct is to educate and control.

If flogging is not stipulated by law for inmates in our correctional centers, then any parent that lay his hands on any child should be sued by law

Its illegal to flog a child. Its not recognized by our constitution as a means of discipline

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by alcuin(m): 8:29pm On Dec 30, 2019
People are saying "good communication". Good communication for children that don't have sense?

4 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Jokerman(m): 8:29pm On Dec 30, 2019
My first son will chop cane... No matter what grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 8:29pm On Dec 30, 2019
eduman365:

Parental discipline is not the reason for underdevelopment. Politics is the reason, there is a leadership problem in the country, so don't mix things up. If you want to support bad behaviour, say something else...

Yeah Right!

Keep believing your lies.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Jokerman(m): 8:30pm On Dec 30, 2019
selfemployed:

How will you feel as an adult if you are to be flogged as a punishment.

Flogging/beating is dehumanizing, insulting, abusive and should be abolished.

The aim of punishment should be to correct. One of the best ways to correct is to educate and control.

If flogging is not stipulated by law for inmates in our correctional centers, then any parent that lay his hands on any child should be sued by law

Its illegal to flog a child. Its not recognized by our constitution as a means of discipline

The Bible/Quran is bigger than any constitution

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Amalekki: 8:30pm On Dec 30, 2019
Most of your thieving leaders & politicians today were top of the league table when it comes to getting flogged as kids. What is the result?

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 30, 2019
Trutherme:
I would have amounted to nothing without the flogging I got from my mum and grandmother
The fear of waking me up at 2 am in the morning and giving me a dose of it was the beginning of wisdom for me.

Ironically, I grew up to love and admire both of them for making me who I am today.
Story story.
Nigerian don't know how to discipline children.
We are so egotistical to come down to their level to teach them through their mistakes.

U hardly see a Nigerian father correct his wayward child.
He is not even there for the child in the first place. Goes and comes, shout or give order and that's that.
Mum end up transferring repressed aggressions meant for dad to the kids
I guess the flogging has made us the most peaceful and successful country in the world.

It ended up making us more angry, violent and egotistical just like our parents.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Kizzygentle: 8:30pm On Dec 30, 2019
Abcdefghij10000:

Honey I am rich and I still flog my kid when he does something naughty, I don't just go copy the whites because I stay among them. You telling me a boy of 10 years get scared of words.
not abt copying d white. It's abt d best form of communication to ur kids. That's y d whites are far ahead of us. Flogging a child is animalistic. Africans flog and yet d child still grows up to be corrupt and unintelligent while d whites don't flog and grow up to change d world.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by ezugegere(m): 8:31pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kizzygentle:
Never!!!.
I repeat never!!!

The best form of discipline is by verbal communication.
If d child does something bad call him/her and sit him/her down and softly tell d child that what he/she did is very wrong and can cause damage.
U could use a statement that sounds scary to scare d child. And then u pet d child after d correction. Trust me it works better than flogging.
But such method is often used by d rich only unfortunately.

That's why majority of the children of the rich are spoilt. Many are into drugs and useless

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NwaMbeke: 8:31pm On Dec 30, 2019
[s]
Simplyleo:
[s]
If you like, be staying on planet Mars and be using cutlasses on your kid, that is you and your business. You are not me and I'm not you. I repeat, I don't accept flogging of my child as punishment, educators should seek for an acceptable alternative. If this sounds contradictory to you, then you need to enroll for English classes.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Dec 30, 2019
Jokerman:

Isreal is among the country that banned flogging.
Even Tunisia. Common Benin is against it too.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by enemyofprogress: 8:31pm On Dec 30, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Yes, because they were behaving like Animals.
so if Jesus can did it, human beans can did it too
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Alimat40: 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
It depends on whose parents child you are dealing with. I work in a school where parents want their children to be flogged, while other do not want their children flogged. We balance it by using wisdom. But, parents should understand that sparing the rod spoils a child. My position is that children should not be flogged on head, but on palm.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by KingAzubuike(f): 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
It's usually common in 3rd world countries. I just see it as a cruel , inhumane method of discipline. I see no reason why you should cause a child severe and unbearable pain all in the name of correction. I've seen 2 cases where kids were flogged to the extent that they gave up the ghost. It's just pathetic.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NwaMbeke: 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
[s]
post=85357725:

Non sentimental spanking?!

Wetin we no go see for our Africa?!

Weldone Daddy Yo!
[/s]
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Originalsly: 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
tunjiajayi:

My first born took to sucking his lip in sleep
I usually get home at about 10 pm work days then he d be at sleep sucking away until I started waking him up, showing him a photo of him sucking while sleeping, then spank him, then a cold shower, yes!

That stopped it alright in 5 tries.

Hmmm.... and today you still firmly believe this is the only solution to that problem? Be truthful... or pretend you didn't read this.... did the child then develop a bed wetting problem?

@ topic.....spanking a child should be an option. But too many parents make beating the only option. If starting from small.... then the child would eventually become immune to beatings which would become more and more severe to show any signs of effect. Then what? When such children are brutalized at home.... they do whatever they want at school since whatever serious beatings the teachers may apply would be child's play to that child. Later on in life.... the cycle continues... bf brutalizing his gf for waving back at a random guy who waved to her... husband brutalizing wife because she didn't prepare what he wanted to eat.... madam brutalizing nanny... Police brutalizing citizens..... soldiers brutalizing Police.... Politicians brutalizing the treasury..ehmmm....I'm going too far.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by NwaMbeke: 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
[s]
post=85357708:
Flogging is so old school.

Good communication with your kids is the KEY.

And for the extra stubborn kids (we have them also) make sure they know the offense they have commited and give them one two 'phiam phiam' on the buttocks....never more than 3!!

We haven't and won't do that to our Jewels anyways
[/s]
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
eduman365:
[/b]This might sound old school, but those countries where they refuse to discipline their children are the same countries with high rate of homosexuality and lack of respect for their parents...[b]

If you like don't beat your children when they are wrong. For me I'm following what the bible teaches about discipline; spare the rod, spoil the child.

Mention the countries.

Let's start here

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Trutherme: 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
sassysure:

Story story.
Nigerian don't know how to discipline children.
We are so egotistical to come down to their level to teach them through their mistakes.

U hardly see a Nigerian father correct his wayward child.
He is not even there for the child in the first place. Goes and comes, shout or give order and that's that.
Mum end up transfer it repressed aggressions meant for dad to the kids
I guess the flogging has made us the most peaceful and successful country in the world.

It ended up making us more angry, violent and egotistical just like our parents.
I am writing about my experience. Share yours and stop mentioning me.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
alcuin:
People are saying "good communication". Good communication for children that don't have sense?

Yes now...all humans have sense because they are not Animals who cannot think for themselves.

If you think flogging the child will make the child now have sense it means that the child was not human in the first place.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by chigoizie7(m): 8:33pm On Dec 30, 2019
Yes it is.

But the question there is, as a parent, will you have the heart and mind to flog your child?

To even scold my sister kids de hard me, I mean, those innocent little kids that will always come to you to tell them sorry if when you were the one that made them cry, in that moment, I will be full of guilt. Thus, I hate making them cry. Those are my sister kids. I love them so much. Talk more of my own. Will I be able to raise that hand or that cane?

I just pray that I will marry a good wife and mother , who can always do that which I cannot do to the kids.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by selfemployed(m): 8:33pm On Dec 30, 2019
Jokerman:

How many kids did Jesus flog?

He was a friend of kids

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by enemyofprogress: 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kizzygentle:
not abt copying d white. It's abt d best form of communication to ur kids. That's y d whites are far ahead of us. Flogging a child is animalistic. Africans flog and yet d child still grows up to be corrupt and unintelligent while d whites don't flog and grow up to change d world.
says who?travel out and see overpampered and spoilt childrens

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2019
No matter what disciplinary technique you use,never base it on verbal/emotional abuse.The scars from physical punishment would leave but those on the other are permanent and affects the the lad wether subconsciously or consciously.Many kids are not disposed for such forms of discipline.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by TGM2015: 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2019
socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.
I think it is you that misinterpreted that verse. Now take a look at the Bible verses below from the same author.

Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from HIM. (KJV)

Proverbs 23:13 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish them with the rod, they will not die.
Proverbs 23:14 Punish them with the rod and save them from death. (NIV)

Cc: naija4real

But excessive use of cane for discipline and misuse of cane to show anger should be highly discouraged.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 30, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Yeah Right!

Keep believing your lies.

Whatever...
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by enemyofprogress: 8:36pm On Dec 30, 2019
selfemployed:

How many kids did Jesus flog?

He was a friend of kids
the kind of childrens burned during the time of Jesus are not the kind parents are burning today, most of the childrens we are burning now are rascals
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by MJBOLT: 8:37pm On Dec 30, 2019
my parents flogged me,i must flog my children too

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by ctleurocollege: 8:38pm On Dec 30, 2019
GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.

What is wrong with flogging? weak niga

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by alcuin(m): 8:38pm On Dec 30, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Yes now...all humans have sense because they are not Animals who cannot think for themselves.

If you thing flogging the child will make the child now have sense it means that the child was not human in the first place.

Sweetheart, if not for good dose of flogging I will not be where I am today.

When I remember those days, I now realize how stupid I was then.

There are many adults today that don't have sense. Talk less of children.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Bauchi Governor Marries A 4th Wife / Obituary Of Mother And Her 2 Children Killed In Fire Accident In Onitsha / 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.