Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,545 members, 7,816,324 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25980 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Midas01: 4:47am On Dec 31, 2019
Why, this is so touching.
chigoizie7:
Yes it is.

But the question there is, as a parent, will you have the heart and mind to flog your child?

To even scold my sister kids de hard me, I mean, those innocent little kids that will always come to you to tell them sorry if when you were the one that made them cry, in that moment, I will be full of guilt. Thus, I hate making them cry. Those are my sister kids. I love them so much. Talk more of my own. Will I be able to raise that hand or that cane?

I just pray that I will marry a good wife and mother , who can always do that which I cannot do to the kids.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Midas01: 4:52am On Dec 31, 2019
Then relocate to America where you won't flog your child. Here in Nigeria,
it is in the African culture to discipline a child with a whip for correction.

Terrible parenting bla bla bla, that same country where parents allow their young teens have sex with their bf/gf in the home under their very roof. Nonsense!!
themaestro08:

How about someone who's parent never laid a hand on him ( discipline him through engaging in discussions with him and other smart methods) and he later turned out to be a Great man in life?

Flogging is terrible parenting, in fact it should be an offence just like an assault.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Midas01: 4:54am On Dec 31, 2019
How do you know that? It is not new a new thing that children in societies where rod discipline are prominent are better behaved than the others.
Eg, African kids are better behaved than their US or European counterparts. Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese kids are on average better behaved too.
sassysure:

Stop misleading people.
The cane used on u didn't make u a good child.
It didn't mould you one bit.
Stop supporting bad things.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Midas01: 4:55am On Dec 31, 2019
Mumu, rascality is not a gene and can't be passed on to an offspring.
selfemployed:

Where did the kids inherit the gene of rascality if not from the parents.

The parents should first submit themselves for punishment for passing on the gene of rascality to their children.

Its a serious offense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Midas01: 5:02am On Dec 31, 2019
According to which stupid pediatrics. Lol. The same pediatrics that now think it's okay to turn your male child into a girl if the child feels he was born in the wrong gender, lmao. The same kids in America that are allowed to bring home their bf and have sex under the roof. The same place where teen pregnancy is at an all time high, lmao.

Listen, have sense of your own. You must not copy everything from the whites. Those same kids were not abused still go on to shoot up Schools, are disrespectful to their parents etc but here in Africa and the rest of the sane world where kids discipline is encouraged, you'll find that kids are better behaved, more respectful etc.

themaestro08:
Using your logic some people should be assaulted if they commit an offence, right?

Flogging, slapping, canning or any form of corporal punishment is according to pediatrics not only dangerous and traumatic but also has long term effects to the poor child. cry cry cry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Midas01: 5:10am On Dec 31, 2019
Isn't America filled with crackheads,
touts, gang members, school shooters, serial killers, pedophiles, mental illness, all forms of depravity etc Just look at the state of Detroit and Chicago where killing and gunning someone on the street in broad day light is the other of the day.
HannahHitler:
homosexuality sha entered the conversation from no where!!!! Lmao. So you want to beat a gay child till he turns straight ABI? Just negodu. Upon the beating in Nigeria, just see how your country is filled with criminals and lawlessness.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by skukimania(f): 5:24am On Dec 31, 2019
Simply ask the child to face the wall. Very effective.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by KingAzubuike(f): 6:12am On Dec 31, 2019
Midas01:
So Japan, South Korea, Singapore,
UAE, Saudi Arabia, Scandavia and most of eastern Europe etc are third world countries?
There's a difference between spanking ad flogging okay? Even in the US, they spank their kids gently once in a while. The flogging part with stick, electric wire, leather belt etc is just barbaric and should incur a jail term.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by KingAzubuike(f): 6:16am On Dec 31, 2019
Midas01:
How do you know that? It is not new a new thing that children in societies where rod discipline are prominent are better behaved than the others.
Eg, African kids are better behaved than their US or European counterparts. Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese kids are on average better behaved too.
I doubt you even know why you're saying. Indian kids well behaved? Lol.

Flogging is common in 3rd world countries like Nigeria and India. In China, Japan , and Korea, they don't flog their kids so stop misleading people. They might spank them but not flog. And the flogging didn't make you any better okay? Na behaviour you wan chop abi na success. And Indian kids aren't well behaved, get that fact right. Indians are some of the most terrible and cunniest people on Earth, even worse than Nigerians.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Profzeb: 6:30am On Dec 31, 2019
[It is unfortunate you are the one who misunderstood the scripture. The bible in proverbs 23:13-14 still further said that parents should never be afraid of striking their rod on their misbehaving child for such can't kill the child but drives away the evil disobedience)

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.[/quote]
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by BRATISLAVA: 6:46am On Dec 31, 2019
GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.

Even whites cane their children, so what proper way did they invent that you think it's African abuse?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by odigiri1983(m): 6:50am On Dec 31, 2019
I doubt if our flogged Society has solved civil order and obedience to the rule of law.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 7:19am On Dec 31, 2019
Midas01:
According to which stupid pediatrics. Lol. The same pediatrics that now think it's okay to turn your male child into a girl if the child feels he was born in the wrong gender, lmao. The same kids in America that are allowed to bring home their bf and have sex under the roof. The same place where teen pregnancy is at an all time high, lmao.

Listen, have sense of your own. You must not copy everything from the whites. Those same kids were not abused still go on to shoot up Schools, are disrespectful to their parents etc but here in Africa and the rest of the sane world where kids discipline is encouraged, you'll find that kids are better behaved, more respectful etc.

the hardest person to argue with is someone who believe his own lies and living in his own little bubble.

Just listen to the trash you spilled up there, you think you made sense? SMH for this fool.

However, you lack decorum, so is it all the flogging that made you this idiotic because you sound like one.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by orisa37: 7:25am On Dec 31, 2019
Yes. Spare the Rod and spoil the Child.
YORUBA "Opa lafi ngba Were laya Omode".
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Minjim: 7:42am On Dec 31, 2019
socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.

I don't know where you got ur own from but this is the intended meaning of the proverb

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by jedisco(m): 7:43am On Dec 31, 2019
spyg1:
Take it or leave it. African children are like cows, the only language they understand is cane. Pls, spare me "in developed countries they..."

Nonsense.
Personalise such opinions. You are the cow

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Encoreunltd(m): 7:48am On Dec 31, 2019
Oil dey your head.

[Qquote author=socialmediaman post=85354981]

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.[/quote]
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by iamjavadem(m): 7:50am On Dec 31, 2019
This is best option. Children get used to the cane and the very short duration of the pain.
helinues:
Flogging in 2020?

Granded
Denying access to toys and gadgets
Giving extra tasks based on school subjects
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Mypeople2(m): 7:52am On Dec 31, 2019
Odunolumide:

Most teachers think I am soft even some of the pupils. So I flog the most stubborn of them and ask the others if they want me to flog them ,then they all behave. But the issue is, this only works a day the next day we start all over again.
Next time just remind them of what happened the previous day ,of how you dealt with the person that misbehaved ....You will see how they will calm down

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by beardedboy(m): 7:53am On Dec 31, 2019
GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.

No one has ever denied this. But the issue is, aren't there matters that cane is the only solution? Just as there are matters that cane is the worst solution.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by beardedboy(m): 7:55am On Dec 31, 2019
KingAzubuike:

I doubt you even know why you're saying. Indian kids well behaved? Lol.

Flogging is common in 3rd world countries like Nigeria and India. In China, Japan , and Korea, they don't flog their kids so stop misleading people. They might spank them but not flog. And the flogging didn't make you any better okay? Na behaviour you wan chop abi na success. And Indian kids aren't well behaved, get that fact right. Indians are some of the most terrible and cunniest people on Earth, even worse than Nigerians.

No wonder many of our elites (especially politicians) are heartless animals. sad
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themanderon: 7:58am On Dec 31, 2019
Spare the rod and spoil the child, so says the wisest man in history and who can doubt him?
Today's society is on the verge of collapse cos the parents have failed to discipline their kids. That's why we have a generation of self absorbed, unloving, disrespectful, entitled, unthankful kids who grow up to be terrible adults.
At times when I look at the way some adults behave I just quiver at the kind of upbringing they had.
When we were growing up things were not as bad as these you know. That was when if you misbehaved and believe me kids are designed for that you were given some good old lashing to factory reset your brain.
But today everyone wants to be like the whites not knowing that they are a society that is about to collapse cos of lack of moral compass.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by tck2000(m): 8:03am On Dec 31, 2019
xpmode:
As long as i was raised with flogging, i will do same.

I spank a child to show him, there is consequences for doing something bad. But at first I start with warning directions and corrections, if that fails to bring the child to soberness, then follow disciplinary action.

I don't want to raise a child that will give me headaches tomorrow, especially in this generation that morality has been thrown under bus
Apt

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by BRATISLAVA: 8:04am On Dec 31, 2019
Odunolumide:
There is this girl in my class that I don't beat because once I threaten to beat her she behaves well. In other case ,most of the pupils are very naughty and they dare you by their actions .
I am thinking of making a deal with my pupils next term that I won't beat them in exchange for something else but I hope it works.
I also plan on using a no-cane sign in my class.

What's the point of this?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by BRATISLAVA: 8:06am On Dec 31, 2019
Midas01:
Isn't America filled with crackheads,
touts, gang members, school shooters, serial killers, pedophiles, mental illness, all forms of depravity etc Just look at the state of Detroit and Chicago where killing and gunning someone on the street in broad day light is the other of the day.
Florida.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by BRATISLAVA: 8:13am On Dec 31, 2019
sassysure:

Story story.
Nigerian don't know how to discipline children.
We are so egotistical to come down to their level to teach them through their mistakes.

U hardly see a Nigerian father correct his wayward child.
He is not even there for the child in the first place. Goes and comes, shout or give order and that's that.
Mum end up transferring repressed aggressions meant for dad to the kids
I guess the flogging has made us the most peaceful and successful country in the world.

It ended up making us more angry, violent and egotistical just like our parents.

Is it flogging that is the problem of Nigerians? Or is it the lack of true education? Because there is still caning in the West. Your above scenario is possible anywhere in the world, not just in Nigeria.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 8:16am On Dec 31, 2019
BRATISLAVA:

Even whites cane their children, so what proper way did they invent that you think it's African abuse?

90% whites don't cane their children. The law doesn't even allow them. The govt will arrest the parents and take over custody.

You don't know cos you never visited there. Ask those that live there.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 8:18am On Dec 31, 2019
beardedboy:

No one has ever denied this. But the issue is, aren't there matters that cane is the only solution? Just as there are matters that cane is the worst solution.

There are no matters where cane is the only solution. Read the below till the end.

"Quoted":

Depending on the offence
I used to ground my children in the room
No toys
No cartoon (they will almost faint on this, especially when Tom and Jerry is one)
No juice
Shouting
Pick pin
Kneeling
Verbal Apology etc

additionally:

-withdraw phone or iPad

-withhold favourites: games, exciting
visits to friends and places.

-Withold his favorite food or drink(but give him a different kind of good food/drink nonetheless)

-Ground him: restrict him to his room for some hours when he's itching to move around.

All these and more can be applied interchangeably and will bring the most difficult kids to their knees.

If these won't work, flogging won't work either.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 8:19am On Dec 31, 2019
thinkmoney:

give us alternatives please

Read my comments and posts of yesterday. Have done that already.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 8:20am On Dec 31, 2019
m140:

Tell us

Read my comments and posts of yesterday.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by BRATISLAVA: 8:28am On Dec 31, 2019
GraGra247:

90% whites don't cane their children. The law doesn't even allow them. The govt will arrest the parents and take over custody.

You don't know cos you never visited there. Ask those that live there.

Don't presume to tell me where I've lived and where I haven't. I have seen white people beat their children in public in your "abroad" and nobody batted an eyelid.

If you don't want to beat your kids because of that child psychology movement of the nineties, it's okay. But the people who began the movement were beating theirs to get to that point. It's only pseudo-westernized blacks/Nigerians who think the world is full of rainbows.

Now, tell us the alternatives that aren't psychological assault/abuse on the child.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Bahamas95(m): 8:36am On Dec 31, 2019
From 3-10yrs I will flog, when they get older I will sit them down and talk sense into them.... Am hot tempered so I got to be very careful make I nor come use my hand kill my children

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

What Is That Thing You Don't Pray Your Children Inherits From You? / Bauchi Governor Marries A 4th Wife / Obituary Of Mother And Her 2 Children Killed In Fire Accident In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.