Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25972 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Kabir5643(m): 8:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
With the way the world is evolving. I think flogging should go on

My opinion

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by tolu4you: 8:11pm On Dec 30, 2019
Yes
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by jaxxy(m): 8:12pm On Dec 30, 2019
Good communication has to come 1st, flogging only comes as a necessary last measure for correction.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by OttHin: 8:13pm On Dec 30, 2019
Big thanks to Op
For delivery of the injury blessing of the year 2019 to me.
I send this news to my boss and I got promoted from sales boy to Supervisor.

Op once again thank you.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Theomarvelus(m): 8:14pm On Dec 30, 2019
what the holy book says about flogging a child; Prov 22:15: “Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child ; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.” Prov 23:13-14: “Withhold not correction from the child : for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (i.e. death).

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by safarigirl(f): 8:14pm On Dec 30, 2019
I've learnt that there is really no hard and fast rule with children

I recommend finding the perfect disciplinary method depending on the child. Some kids are receptive to scolding and some others require flogging. Find the disciplinary method perfect for the child, notice what works best for each child, just because they are all kids does not mean the same thing will work across board

So, yeah, depending on the kid, caning could work with some, others just a few words and for a select few, a combination of both. It's like people who prefer injection to pills and vice versa

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by don4real: 8:15pm On Dec 30, 2019
You are right but sometimes the rod is also use to hit the sheep if going towards the wrong direction

socialmediaman:

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by ClassicMG(m): 8:15pm On Dec 30, 2019
Don't ever beat a child no matter what, I nearly lost my self esteem due to my parent floging

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Hantonia(f): 8:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging is not the way out to discipline children it would rather make them hardened that no matter what it cane, preferably punishment or talking to a child is d best

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by AngelicBeing: 8:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
Niaja4real:

You can never be wiser than God... Spare the rod and spoil the child. Proverbs. 23 vs 13 & 14.
Gbam cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by RuddyFusion(m): 8:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
I don't I communicate and build relationship with my little one and it works better than flogging

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Trutherme: 8:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
I would have amounted to nothing without the flogging I got from my mum and grandmother
The fear of waking me up at 2 am in the morning and giving me a dose of it was the beginning of wisdom for me.

Ironically, I grew up to love and admire both of them for making me who I am today.

11 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by bigstan11787(m): 8:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
Just bear it in mind that the least form of torture is the physical one..

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by wristbangle: 8:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
A Yoruba adage says "Aya omode ni were di si, Egba lo ma yo kuro" It translates that "To train up a child, cane will teach them lesson".

Other alternatives of discipline can be starving or tell the child to weed 1 hectare of land, wash very dirty toilet or do 1,000 frog jump. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Odunolumide(m): 8:18pm On Dec 30, 2019
There is this girl in my class that I don't beat because once I threaten to beat her she behaves well. In other case ,most of the pupils are very naughty and they dare you by their actions .
I am thinking of making a deal with my pupils next term that I won't beat them in exchange for something else but I hope it works.
I also plan on using a no-cane sign in my class.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by spyg1(m): 8:18pm On Dec 30, 2019
Take it or leave it. African children are like cows, the only language they understand is cane. Pls, spare me "in developed countries they..."
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 8:18pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging are for Animals.

Any human being who supports his/her child to be flogged is also an Animal.

There should be more sane and constructive ways to discipline a child and flogging is not one of them.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by DexterousOne(m): 8:19pm On Dec 30, 2019
vickydankal:
If what you want to instil or inculcate in a child is discipline then for an African child flogging will be needed.

Unfortunately, we use flogging to vent anger in the place discipline.

Depending on the offence
I used to ground my children in the room
No toys
No cartoon (they will almost faint on this, especially when Tom and Jerry is one)
Flogging
No juice
Shouting
Pick pin
Kneeling
Verbal Apology etc
General beating (throwing of mop, spoon, slippers, etc)

More like it
Moderation is key

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by tchidi066(f): 8:20pm On Dec 30, 2019
I don't believe in flogging... There is something called positive and negative reinforcement

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by DexterousOne(m): 8:20pm On Dec 30, 2019
spyg1:
Take it or leave it. African children are like cows, the only language they understand is cane. Pls, spare me "in developed countries they..."

You have a point

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Abcdefghij10000(f): 8:22pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kizzygentle:
Never!!!.
I repeat never!!!

The best form of discipline is by verbal communication.
If d child does something bad call him/her and sit him/her down and softly tell d child that what he/she did is very wrong and can cause damage.
U could use a statement that sounds scary to scare d child. And then u pet d child after d correction. Trust me it works better than flogging.
But such method is often used by d rich only unfortunately.
Honey I am rich and I still flog my kid when he does something naughty, I don't just go copy the whites because I stay among them. You telling me a boy of 10 years get scared of words.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by destinychildolu(m): 8:22pm On Dec 30, 2019
eduman365:
This might sound old school, but those countries where they refuse to discipline their children are the same countries with high rate of homosexuality and lack of respect for their parents...

If you like don't beat your children when they are wrong. For me I'm following what the bible teaches about discipline; spare the rod, spoil the child.

And they are the Same children that grow to make new discoveries and innovations. With our so called discipline, our children grow up to become fantastically corrupt.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by enemyofprogress: 8:23pm On Dec 30, 2019
All i know be sey Jesus flog some people comot for temple to reset their brains

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nwaonyishi69: 8:24pm On Dec 30, 2019
All these are aimed at modifying or shaping the child to be a good child. There is a need for variation of the approaches adopted. So, in some extreme cases, flogging or even using physical beating may be suitable. As is held from the old, if you spare the Cane you will spoil the child. Everything possible should be done to make out the best form of humans from your wards.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 8:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
Abcdefghij10000:

Honey I am rich and I still flog my kid when he does something naughty, I don't just go copy the whites because I stay among them. You telling me a boy of 10 years get scared of words.

destinychildolu:

And they are the Same children that grow to make new discoveries and innovations. With our so called discipline, our children grow up to become fantastically corrupt.

Thank you!
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
Theomarvelus:
what the holy book says about flogging a child; Prov 22:15: “Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child ; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.” Prov 23:13-14: “Withhold not correction from the child : for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (i.e. death).
According to a report by CNN last 2 yrs, isreal is among the countries that banned spanking children.

Guess u know the Tora more than them grin

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Simplyleo: 8:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
[s]
Abcdefghij10000:

You know you just contradicted yourself honey and that's plain stupid, I stay in Helsinki and that doesn't stop me from flogging my kid
[/s]
If you like, be staying on planet Mars and be using cutlasses on your kid, that is you and your business. You are not me and I'm not you. I repeat, I don't accept flogging of my child as punishment, educators should seek for an acceptable alternative. If this sounds contradictory to you, then you need to enroll for English classes.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Savagethe21st(m): 8:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
My mother flogged me like a beast so I'll just hide frm her the next time...But honest conversations are more effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W90ebtj21t4 Hello guys i'm a producer in my teens from lagos NIGERIA chasing my dreams.It would be a huge blessing if someone checked out my beats and subscribe to channel. Comment what you think or corrections.Thanks and Godbless.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 8:26pm On Dec 30, 2019
enemyofprogress:
All i know be sey Jesus flog some people comot for temple to reset their brains

Yes, because they were behaving like Animals.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by abbey621(m): 8:26pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging is very effective but it must not be the default or the main form of discipline. Rewarding good behavior with treats/gifts and correcting bad ones with removal of privileges is far more effective.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by MoIbrahim: 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
No way!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Woman Sleep On The Streets After Husband's Imprisonment, Due To Lack Of Money... / What Is The Problem Between Mothers And Their Daughter-In-Laws? / What Is That Thing You Don't Pray Your Children Inherits From You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.